Options

Rotary Shakespeare Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Been benched by the physio now until event...no problem as only had 6 miles left on schedule. Can only hope the knee lasts out on Sunday. How's everyone else's taper week going?
  • Options

Taper

lovely jubbly image

long gone are my 80 - 100 miles PW

but i manage on my bit  of what i do

• Options
    Hey Mick n Phil, taper going well then? What's your fave carb load then? I'm going to tuck into a massive pizza on Thursdayimage
  • Options

me, oh i eat alsorts

porridge, bananas, rice, noodles ,chicken sweetcorn soup

minced beef, onions, mushrooms, pasta,

i very much keep to a normal diet - fluid levels are the same regardless

its just a way of life has been for years now

i eat, drink, breath, sleep runinng

keeps me alive

• Options
    Forceast looks really bad at the moment. Rainy, cold and 20mph winds gusting to 40mph directly into our faces down the Greenway. I really hope it's wrong as it's my first marathon!!
  • Options
    See you there Mick!
  • Options
    Ryan - look on the bright side, your second marathon is bound to be in better conditions image
  • Options

Can anyone who has done this before tell me about the hill at 8/18 - is it steep?
  • Options

Hill..........what hill?

• Options

I've not run it before, but this is what the website states about the course profile

----------------

It is a predominately flat course, and many who enter our event are first time runners. There is an ascending incline as you enter Luddington (1:48 for 220m) and another as you leave (1:30 for 400m). There is a steeper incline as you leave Welford towards Long Marston, which is the most significant hill on the course, and rises approximate 31m over some 1100 meters (1:35 average - 1:15 steepest part for 150m) and descends some 28m over some 450 meters (1:18 average - 1:10 steepest part for 150m)

-----------------

As a 4:15 - 4:30 runner, I don't expectthe general climb to slow me down significantly, though the portions that are particularly steep (relatively) will demand a bit more respect - I may even power walk the steepest bits second time round depending on how I feel.

If it's as wet as predicted, then surfing down the other side may be an option image

• Options
    The weather's going to be interesting isn't it. Been trying to think of any logistical things. If you're meeting anyone at the half-way point, a few people meet under the Sanctus Bridge on the town map (the one we run over after about 1.5 miles). It tends to be a bit quieter than the area where the half-marathoners leave us on their way to the finish. don't know if that's any help.
  • Options
    If anyone is looking to transfer entry can you give me a shout as im looking for a place. Many thanks, good luck to those running.
  • Options

Hope everyone is healthy. Having run close to 3 hours on 2 previous occasions I think it’s fair to say that the course is relatively quick in decent conditions. The hill at 7 and 17 is quite challenging. Really worth taking it easy the first time round. The quad demolishing descent once you reach the top for the second time really put paid to my sub 3 efforts.

Unfortunately due to a pulled back at the end of last year I won’t be able to complete the full marathon. However I still reckon I can run a reasonable half. I’m sure it has been mentioned somewhere else on the thread but are the organisers okay with a full marathon runner bailing out and doing the half instead?

• Options
    Our of interest, will anyone be running on saturday?
    Thinking of doing my last run Friday night
  • Options

nick - interesting is an understatement!

wbt - official transfers are not allowed now, the deadline has passed.  Anyone that engages in an unofficial number swap risks being banned from the race for life, as per the race rules on the website.

frank - sorry to here you're struggling, sure I've read on the website that you can drop down distance on the day, but need to tell the marshalls at the split point on lap one, else they'll try and direct you to a second lap.
    thanks for the hill info, perhaps it will be tougher than i thought image

jay - i'm doing a 3 miler this evening, then that's it, feet up until the big day

• Options

Anyone got any advice about wind running?

Looks like the first half of the course will be very fast and last half hellish! Didn't quite get 3hrs last year (3h 02). Looks like this year will be another battle.

• Options
    Carl, just don't run behind anybody with wind image
  • Options

Met office is saying gusts of 48 mph during the race at the moment - image - This is going to be an interesting first marathon. Starting to think a tot of rum might be a useful supplement to the isotonic drink!

• Options
    With that weather forecast it is beginning to feel like Snowdon!!!! Thought I may get to do a dry Mara for a change but obviously not!!!!!

Good luck to all running and above all else - have fun!

RWMS
  • Options
    Oh well, im doing snowdonia in October so at least it'll be good training for that!
  • Options
    You and me both Jay image
  • Options

FRANK M - this is what the website states about changing distances

-------------------------------------

Requests to switch from Full to Half, Half to Full, to Cancel an entry or to check for non receipt of race pack after posting date for whatever reason you should contact /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]hakespeare@frsystems.co.uk?subject=Shakespeare%20Marathon%20and%20Half%20Marathon%20-%20Entry%20Query%202011]shakespeare@frsystems.co.uk If you do wish to change between Full and Half marathon races after the Race Number has been sent out then you should still notify us through /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]hakespeare@frsystems.co.uk?subject=Shakespeare%20Marathon%20and%20Half%20Marathon%20-%20Entry%20Query%202011]shakespeare@frsystems.co.uk this will ensure we update your record, however, you will have to run with the Race Number and chip that has been sent as they are matched. This means that if you have changed from the Full to the Half then you will run with your Red (full marathon) number and if you have changed from the Half to the Full with your White (half marathon) number. At the cut off at Greenway North, 11.84 miles, you should shout to the marshals what you are doing so that they direct you to the correct course as the marshals tend to be guided by the colour of the race number. You should also let the marshals at the bottom of Rumer Hill (just over 8 miles on the first lap and just under 19 miles on the second lap) know what you are doing. Please make it clear what you have done at the Finish. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

Ian,

Thanks for the info. I e-mailed the race organiser and they changed  me from the full to the half. Let's hope the weather forecast is wrong for Sunday. Have a good run everyone.

• Options

Hey, RWMS..how you doing? You've not been on Snod forum for a while...you are doing the baby again this year then? Surely Sunday cant be as bad as the last Snowdonimage.

Anyway folks, good luck to one and all.

• Options
    Did my last pre-race run today, 3.9 miles
  • Options
    Hello chaps as usual a forum wakes up in days before the race. This will be my 3rd consecutive Shakespeare marathon.
    In 2010 I got a pb of 4:19 , over the moon to break 4:20 I ran 20 yr previous. In 2011 I think I was around 4:34. In 2010 I didn't really feel the hill , and felt I had great focus on th greenway , just getting in the zone, while last year wasn't so focussed , a bit of walking. As usual ill be aiming for a pb currently 4:17, set in Chester about 6 wks after Shakespeare 2010- but as ever it depends on the day. I had about 2 complete weeks off in Feb after a back strain, but have got back to complete a 20,19,18, & few 16s etc.

I'll be trying for 9:43- 9:30 / mile pace or so

Weather grrrrr
    I just don't like being cold to start, so the dilemma is layers.
    Current thought is old sweatshirt & bin bag to the start
    Poss then run in vest baseball cap & gloves -
    How about you?
  • Options
    Yep and I've signed up for my first Snowdonia marathon after watching in rain last 2 years. Still asking myself why !
    It's the challenge?
  • Options
    I think I'll follow you with the old sweatshirt/ binbag ensemble. I'm wondering if I'll run in long sleeves - it's an exposed course and the rain whipped by the wind is going to be damned cold. Definitely gloves!
  • Options
    I'm thinking body armour style top with a T over the top. Still undecided on leggings. Hat and gloves for definite though!
  • Options
    Thing is though , the more we wear the more there is to soak up water & be heavy & chaff