Options

Excited new runner

Comments

• Options

Well done Silver. Knew you could do it image

You'll have to burn the other 971 calories with some nookie image

• Options
    Hahaha! Always feel randy after a good run but not sure Mrs S feels the same! I'll have to try whispering 'nookie' to her tonight see if it does the trick.

God X Factor is soooo pants isn't it - just veging infront of the tele while everyone is out. Bliss!
  • Options

I wish it was on constantly because it always makes me feel ill, leave the room and find something useful to do image

• Options
    I'm off to clean the downstairs bog as that's more interesting - Gary Barlows a nob!
  • Options
    Stripes did you really push it for your 45mins? I was sure Iwas going to get a 1.50 but just lost all energy after 10.
  • Options

Silver - sounds like you are having great fun. Silverstone is 3rd March so still have few months yet, that is if knee works, leg streght builds, I can clock up some milds and keep the colds/chest infections at bay, so not a tall ask.

Enjoy your chilling.

• Options
    It was uncomfortable Silver. Thats how it should be I think. Ran a negative split though so pretty happy. Know I can go quicker but just need to work harder in training. Have realised after months of reading on here that that means more slow miles to build a better base. Thats the plan image

You will shave that ten minutes off Silver by doing something similar. I have run 13 miles plus five times in training now and even going slowly I still tire at around 11 miles.
  • Options
    It's all about practice isnt it getting your body used to that distance. I reckon if I'd eaten some breakfast though I could have kept going. Next time it's a bowl of porridge at the very minimum.

I'm up for another one now - will have a look what's out there later. Have you got any more races lined up?
  • Options
    Liverpool Half in March is all. Would like to do a couple more 10k's this year but having trouble finding any that fit.
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Silver congrats great time you must be delighted

Not quite as speedy as silver, 2:03:49 I'm on cloud nine I will get up a race report as soon as I can, more than likely it will be tomorrow
  • Options
    Well done Stewart that's a great time - is that your first HM?

Good day all round on this forum today.
  • Options

Well done Stewart. Great effort image

• Options
    Yes it's my first HM image
  • Options
    That's great Stewart well done - you'll be on a high all week now albeit with aching legs! image
  • Options

Stewart - brilliant run, bet you are on cloud nine.

Been a great weekend racing all round. Very proud of you all, and a lot jealous image

Well done everyone image

• Options
    Hey Maam is that your Lotus?? Very nice.

I can see why you don't have room for a tready now.
  • Options

Had another good Gym and Swim session tonight but ruined it on the way home by buying a Grab Bag of crisps from the garage image

• Options
    Crisps are my downfall too Stripes especially cheesy Doritos!

Legs ached all day yesterday and I was knackered last night so I went to bed reasonably early. Feel great this morning though and even brought my running gear to work just in case I have time for a lunch run.

Well up for another half too as I know I can improve on

my time. This could be my next one as its local and flat.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=66085&ms=
  • Options

Hi all,

without further ado here is the race report for the HM i ran on Sunday, it's a little long so appoligies in advance image

Aviemore Half Marathon Race Report

Pre-Race Registration

Arrived in Aviemore around 8am, the registration process was relatively painless, so with number and race tag in hand it was away to the buses to shuttle us to the start up at Badaguish Centre. The weather conditions were perfect, very little wind and no rain, it was however a little cold so I was glad I took a few extra layers to keep warm, with a little over 20 minutes to the start it was time for the traditional group warm up, and we were told to go and line up in our pens I decided to stand near the back in the sub 2:15 area, from there we were walked to the start line, a little over 400 metres away and before we knew it we were off!

The Race

The first mile started on the trail leading through Glenmore forest, gently climbing for around half a mile, I settled into a comfortable pace straight away and soon found myself overtaking people at ease, a fellow runner darted into the tree line for a call of nature, a woman behind called him an exhibitionist, not at these temperatures, was my reply. With the first mile almost complete we got our first view of the Cairngorms and loch Morlich below, stunning is an understatement, first mile complete 10:04

The second mile was downhill towards the ski road, I was now going past fellow runners at regular intervals, feeling strong and full of energy, we turn off the trail and ran along the ski road for the remainder of the mile before turning back onto the trail, second mile 8:54

Now back on the trail it was getting a little congested, which was a little frustrating, but I tried to remain patient and I was able to slow start picking my way through the crowds, mile 3 10:13

We crossed the ski road and were presented with our first major test, a fairly steep hill which took us to the highest point of the race at 1,312ft I managed to get to the top but so many people walked it which was a pain especially when they were walking in a line across the trail which made it quite difficult to maintain momentum, mile 4 10:49

The race from here was predominantly downhill, feeling good after the hill I settled down into a good pace, running through some of the most stunning scenery I have ever ran through, mile 5 9:05

Turning back along the loch-side into a cooling breeze I continued to maintain a comfortable pace, and trying to absorb as much of the atmosphere as I could, support along the route was sparse but it was appreciated, mile 6 9:10

• Options

Almost half way now the trail narrowed and it was rather muddy, this section was slow, runners bunching and doing their up most to avoid the puddles, I approaching the half way mark in approx 1hr 4 minutes I was fairly content with my progress, we ran past the camping park and turned onto the ski road for the final 6 miles back into Aviemore, mile 7 10:18

Now on the ski road we ran along side the loch down towards the town, I was feeling good and started to focus on picking off the runners ahead, I was just trying to main a good pace and keep some energy in the tank, I've tended to run out off juice in the last three miles, mile 8 9:37

Almost into the final third of the race now, I was working hard and trying to remain positive, I got to the final water station took on some water and dug into the final stretch we descended through Coylumbridge and Inverdruie, the descending mile markers where flying by mile 9 9:25, mile 10 9:17, mile 11 8:58, now there were a few more supporters out, clapping and giving us encouragement, the last few miles are a bit of a haze, as we moved onto the bike trail before crossing the ski road for the final time, mile 12 9:27 only one mile to go!

I was hurting, but determined, turning along a cycle path we crossed the river and went under the railway underpass and up a little slope to the main road into Aviemore, crossing the road the line was in sight, putting in a kick to the finish crossing the line final mile in 9:28.

Crossing the line in a time of 2:03:49 average pace of 9:31mm, delighted!

Post race we went to a local eatery for pizza, pasta and beer what a way to finish off the day!

link to photo taken on route with a mile to go! http://www.action-heroes.co.uk/galleries2/HalfMar2012/index.html

• Options
    Stewart that's a fantastic race report - you must have been a writer in a previous life or perhaps in this one!

Sounds a fantastic course and you made a really good consistent pace the whole way round. I'll look at the photos a bit later and google Aviemore HM to have a look at the scenery. Well done again - have your legs stopped aching yet?
  • Options

Excellent report Stewart. Very well written. Sounds like a fantastic race image

Had vaguely followed the race thread Silver. Sounds like it went off a lot better than last years which had a few teething troubles. Am considering aiming for it next year. Already entered the half in March.

That Grand Union race looks really good. I would consider it myself if it wasn't so awkward for me to get to.

Did a very slow 7.47 miles after work. Beginning to like the idea of running all my miles slowly image

• Options
    Just seen my race photos and they show that while in my mind I think I look like Mo Farah in reality I look like a middle aged grey haired bloke who runs a bit like a donkey!

I'd put the link up but I'm too embarrassed you'll just have to take my word that I ran the race! image
  • Options

I actually made it out for a run finally! 10.5min mile for just over a mile.

• Options

Well done Mal image

Silver. I look awful in every race photo. In fact I look awful in pretty much every photo!