Options

Excited new runner

Comments

• Options

/members/images/684170/Gallery/tn_Exige2_Oulton_Park_2012.jpg

Finally got the pro pic off OH from track day at Oulton Park in September.  This is OH driving and me in passenger seat image What fun image

• Options

Hi all,

Good running Stewart, two runs in one day, well impressed.

Nice photo Maam, glad the meal was good. Did you have anything really exotic?

Emma, how was spinning? Am considering giving it a go but looks like very hard work.

Well done on getting out Mal. You will build it back up in no time.

Love the idea of you doing a John McEnroe Silver, 'You Cannot Be Serious'

Had a heavy day at the match yesterday image

Managed a slow ten miler this afternoon, 27.5 miles on the week

Work situation is mega complicated because I am in a partnership. Struggling badly but lots of ties to sort out. Not sure whether to take the job because it requires a long commute and the money isn't great. Will give me less time for running as well image

• Options
    Morning All - some great running yesterday - Stewart that sounds like real hard core stuff and im guessing it involves hills too!

Stripes - maybe you could run your commute!? Unless it's down the M6 of course.

I'm still feeling poop but don't have any obvious signs of a cold - just reaaly lethargic and energy less which is not like me. Mrs S feels the same and thinks its a virus? Oh well I'm desperate to get out for another run but I'm really not up to it at the moment and don't want to have another disaster like last week. Good news is I have 3 whole days off work next week - bad news is its half term so I'll have the boys in tow! Oh well I don't see them much during a normal week so can't complain. image
  • Options

Hi guys - yes I know where the hell have I been image I only went for a week but was flat out at work all last week and just no time

Anyway I hope your all good and running well, Maam happy belated birthday wishes image its mine on the 29th yeehaa

Fuerteventura was fantastic, great weather, hotter than we expected which was lovely.  I ran on Sortovento beach 5 mornings which was truly stunning and beautiful (will post a pic) I even did some barefoot running along the beach image my calfs killed the following day lol loved it though

I manned the water station yesterday for the Daventry 10 miler which was good fun with OH and mother helping image

I will have a read back and see whats been happening image

• Options

Hey - welcome back Booey image you were missed!

Tripes (Booey - this is what we now call three stripes though he is resisting a bit) - the spinning was good.  Really hard core class on a monday night I go to.  The instructor barks at us all (scares me a little) so its out of the saddle for 45 minutes, standing up sprints and massive 'hill' climbs.  I lean on my handle bars so much on the sprints I have black, bruised forearms.  My war wounds.image

Stewart - will defo do a race report, but it won't be anywhere near as good as yours.... more like - turned up, had a wee, waited for the race, needed another wee, started the race - felt like needed a wee, finished race - went for a wee..... not because I'll need to go - but because the little devil on my shoulder will be telling me i'll need to stop......for a wee.

• Options

Ha Ha Emma. I reckon between childhood with my Mum and in the last nine years with my OH I have spent far too much time waiting outside womens toilets! and I don't want any Jimmy Saville jokes thank you image

Was talking to a fella at the Gym last night who had just finished a spinning class and he was saying how evil it is, I will be wimping out for yet another week image

Did a very slow 8 miles after work, its amazing how easily I am getting used to going very slowly, not sure I will be able to go any quicker when I want to though image

• Options

Hi all

Good to see everyone is in good spirits.  I've been having a quiet time lately, well finishing my job application which is now submitted so can just wait.

When I went out saturday I had a crocodile starter which was really nice, but then decided to go to English as didn't want to blow the budget before desert image My mates OH had Zebra though which sounds different.

I have been walking more this week to and feeling really good for it. Still doing my floor bike bit too. Infact yesterday after work when walking to the station I wanted to break into a little jog, but managed to hold myself back.  The one thing it has left me knowing is that 'THE BUG IS BACK!!!' and I can't do anything with it image

Spinning sounds horrendous to me, can't imagine anything worse, but each to their own and I'm sure it is fun and very beneficial. The best I will try (subject to physio ok) is to start gentle cycling when my knee is ok to image

Been today for the flu jab and walked to dr and back image

Now off to wrap OH Christmas pressies before he goes routing for them then off for a spinal and deep tissue massage image

Might have a wee first though image

• Options

My running is proper slacking and I need to shed the couple of pounds I put on on hols image its my birthday next monday so as from November I am going to run loads which in turn should see some weight come off image fingers crossed

dark dark nights as from sunday image now that is depressing BUT I do love running in the cold winter months image

Maam - consultant yesterday said I should have the flu jab as my meds reduce my immune system......told him I dont want it, not had a cold for years image hope I am not eating my words this winter image I will have it if I need it image

• Options

Can't wait to hear about all your peeing Emmaimage, I would also imagine the length and quality of my race reports will diminish over time, after all that was my first HM.

Maam, glad to hear things are going well, you'll be back at it in no time just be patient .

Stripes, I agree spinning look like hard work I'll stick to the running;), 

Booey, I love running in the dark espically when it a clear crisp night stars out, it quite spectacular.

5 miles last night is not so spectacular fog, 54 minutes and we only lost three runners on route image, they turned right toward the sports centre instead of right into the car park. the leader for the night was in a right panick!

• Options
    Hi all,

Ha ha Stewart, thought you were joking at first about the lost runners image

Glad you are getting back to walking Maam.

Nice to have you back Booey.

Just done a little five miles. Lovely to get out into the country lanes even in this crappy weather.
  • Options
    If the dark puts you off running come round to mine and have ago on the tready!image

I'm not doing the Grand Union HM as apparently the towpath is a quagmire at the moment - not fun. Just thinking ahead though.....

http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/nyc-half-2013

And if you are fast enough you can get guaranteed entry but check out these times for the different age groups.

http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/nyc-half-2013/guaranteed-and-non-guaranteed-entry

Phew!! image
  • Options

Hey hey!  I just tried my first ever fresh gnocchi.  I feel all continental! 

With spinning, my physio basically told me that I needed to do some cross training or spinning.  They are both super beneficial to runners and the spinning helps with stamina and speed.  If you think about it, my 10k pace in March was 1:00 hour and its now 55 minutes.  So somethings pushed me along a teeny bit.

I'll never be able to compete with the skinny, lean, super runner types mind - but no one looks like they're enjoying themselves at the front!  The further back you get - the bigger smile (and probably bigger sense of achievement!)

I just opened a twitter account.  Its going to be running and food focussed mainly - anyone on twitter want to 'follow' me i'm at @run_twinkle_run

I'm so excited because I got two fluorescent running bibs to wear in the dark. I am now with head torch (don't wear really but can if needed), flashing arm band light, snap bands, fluro bib..... I may get the glow sticks out from my clubbing days.

• Options
    So true about the smiles nearer the back Emma, although in my case there's usually quite a bit of grimacing too. Sounds like you'll be lit up like a Christmas tree in all that get up - really a treadmill would save you all that hassle.

Actually Mrs S has commented on the electric bill going up don't think she's linked it back to the tready yet but it's only a matter of time. Feeling a lot better after my recent bout of lethargy so it's back to the running tonight for me. Can't wait - I've worked til midnight last 3 nights so I need a break. image
  • Options

Did my local run last night 3.5 miles in the fog, loved it image it was really eary and just before it got dark

Silver - pah to the dready tready image aint you bored of it yet image 

Em - I have a twitter account but only to follow a few celebs, dont really use it I stick to facebook

Also got all my hi viz out and wearing it now, plus the head torch image

Stewart - was I away when you did your HM image well done anyhow and its great to get the first one under the belt ah image

Got free tickets to see Saints v Saracens Rugby on Saturday, not been to my local ground before so looking forward to it image

• Options

Hi all

Well done on the running for those getting out and Silver on getting the elec bill further up.

Em - love the christmas tree approach. As for twitter I just can't get to grips with it and only use Facebook to keep in touch with friends overseas really. 

Wish I was running, I do miss it. When I drive home at night and see the runners going past in the hi viz makes me smile, but a half saddened smile since I can't get out there image

Knee is giving me heaps of gip today, but there again today I just feel really yuk. Guess that's what you get for having a flu jab, then a massage to run it round your body closely followed by no sleep! Oh well, better luck tonight and physio in the morning so a nice lie in for me image

Update on the job application. I've had email from the hiring manager to confirm my app has been received, but the closing date has been extended to 6th Novemeber so a nice long wait for me image I hate waiting, it is the cruelist part of job applying, well other than the interview bit. Why can't they just know I'm great and give it to me???? Oh how I'm now dreaming, that plus a lotto win image

Chicken dippers and chips are calling so have a great night everyone image

• Options
    Bored of the tready Boo? Me? Never!! Although there is a coat hanging on it as I write! image

I've just opened RW mag and seen that picture of the Gower Bay - god I'd live to be running there now. People are so lucky having that on their doorstep. Very envious.
  • Options

The RW mag just a couple of issues ago had the Itchen Way trail in it - that's where i'm from and i've run parts of it myself.  Lovely.

Day of rest tomorrow and pasta for dinner image  

I am officially carb loading in the form of rolo's and cheese - it counts right? 

• Options
    Emma just wanted to say best of luck for GSR on Sunday. I know 4 people who are doing it including super fast running Dad who's been put in the elite sub 1hr pen at the front so I'll be watching on tele. What colour are you wearing?

Just done 4m on tready including middle two at 8mph. Knackered but feeling great. Did it all in socks too - no trainers - barefoot running. I'm going to take a lead out of Paul Tomkinsons book and try to run at least a little bit everyday for the next week to see how it feels.

Folks visiting for weekend so busy family weekend. Have a good one all.

Hi Mal.
  • Options

I am running in the white wave.. It's safer than the orange and not quite Mr Blobby and Skippy the Kangaroo in the Green Wave......

Couldn't sleep last night (excitement?) so am taking today easy.  It feels odd because I regularly do the 10 miles at the weekends but trying to taper off this week and carb load has felt kinda weird....

So windy out and due to be around 7 degrees tomorrow - its ok but its right on the water front so the last mile is blaaady freezing anyway! put in the biting wind i shall be lilac by the time I finish.

• Options

Good luck for tomorrow Em, not that you need it image

• Options
    Lilac..or blue! It's freezing outside here now it's gonna be cold in the morning! Good luck I'll look out for your lilac bonce!image
  • Options
    Good luck Ems let us know how you get on
  • Options

Hi Guys,

Been a busy few days,

Emma good luck tomorrow,

Silver some good running on the tready I did a mile at the gym varying the elevation between 1.5 and 3, I supose it's ok but I find it easier running outside,

Booey it was my first HM and I'm still raving about it to anybody who'll listen, can't wait for the next ome in March image,

Maam, good luck with the job application and I hope the knee has stopped giving you issues.

Took the 1 mile group on Thursday, all newbies who where jog walking, they were so full of appoligies, I kept telling them it was ok and I was in a similar position when I started way back in Feburary.  After JS I went for a run with another leader he was looking to test a new route, mandatory hill, BOY! it was steep but short.  5 miles 47 mins good to get the legs stretch before tomorow's 17.46K race.

I'll try and get on here sometime in the afternoon and let you know how I've got on, thats if the hills haven't killed me!

ps.  I've just heard the head Jog leader for Inverness and Muir of Ord has won the Jog Leader award image

• Options
    Good luck with the runs Emma and Stewart.

Just back from pub so took forever to type this image

11 mile pootle tomorrow once rehydrated and before football. Extra hour is a boon image
  • Options
    Good luck Stewart. I'm just watching the GSR on tele. Did Jo Pavey really run 10m in 52mins last year!?! And she's 39. It's just not fair.

Got my parents on the tready earlier - they loved it but Dad panicked at 3.5mph. Mums a hardened gym goer so no problems for her.

God it's cold this morning and kids woke up an hour earlier due to clock change so no lye in here today! Oh well Halloween party later - cant wait.

Come on Liverpool I'll be watching too Stripes. Said, sterling and Wilson were great in the week hope they start again today.
  • Options

Cold - it was blaaaaady freezing!!!! I have just about got the blood circulating back to my fingers!  

So - race report.... got to portsmouth, stood around freeeeezing for ages in my pen, some opera singer sang Jerusalem so I put my ipod on.  Ran 10 miles. Finished 10 miles. Legs feel tight (calves), picked up goodie bag, put on medal and silver foil blanket, got in car - came home & showered.  Now in bed watching re-run of the race! image

Came in at 1:34:50.  This is almost 7 minutes quicker than my time for last year so i'm super happy!

this website is being a dog at the minute so can't upload a pic just yet - will do so when I have more patience image

• Options
    Well done Emma - great time. It looked freezing on tele didn't envy you there today.

Jo Pavey was awesome.
  • Options
    Well done Emma. Great time. Excellent race report image

Tickets to the Opera for Christmas?