Options

Excited new runner

Comments

• Options

Ooh, well done Silver, Stripes and Stewart.Only just read back, sorry for being a rubbish forumite!

• Options

The legs were stiff on Monday, I went to the gym and did a session on the AMT which seems to have helped, a gentle 5 miler this evening in under an hour, another easy session on Thursday and a long run on Sunday, that gives me a week to get ready for the Culloden run, I'm doing the 17.46k

http://www.thecullodenrun.com/

It's suposed to be quite a hilly one so won't be expecting a quick time

• Options
    Hi Mal - well done on the run! But where've you been?? Busy I suspect!

Stewart you are a gluten for punishment aren't you doing another run so soon after the HM. It sounds like another picturesque route though. I'll have a look at the link in a min.
  • Options

Stewart - great run report, agree definately the style of a writer.  Makes me want to come your way just for a run or two image

Silver - yep my pic is the lotus, but not in our garage, the garage at the track day. Will post a full pic of it.  As for the garage, that garage has more space than ours!

Mal - Glad you're back and well done on the run image

• Options

/members/images/684170/Gallery/tn_DSCF0413.JPG

This was on the track day too pulling back into the garage after a few laps image

• Options
    That's one sexy looking motor!
  • Options

Oh yes and I can happily say it is all my OH's! I've had one drive, but am now happily a passenger image It's our fun car image

• Options

I'm knackered, just taken 5 hours to write one paragraph on my job application! Now it's all ready I hope to be submitted, Run past manager on Friday then home to submit. Finger crossed, hoping and praying!

• Options
    Well Im contemplating my next HM. The Grand Union Canal run from Uxbridge to Watford. Looks like a really nice route and it's very close to home. Only problem is my boy has a match On the same morning so I'll have to miss it and he won't be happy at that.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=66085&ms=
  • Options

Hi Everyone

Mal - well done on getting back out there - I hope you enjoyed your run?

Silver / Stewart - both done amazing times and amazing runs!!! sounds fantastic

Tripes - what's all this 'three stripes' nonsense - you know what your name is.... I'm a bit with you - run longer and slower (well - that's my excuse)

Maam - you will do silverstone - i'll be there too.... 

I'm super stressy - got global sales school at the mo with IBM, so i'm super busy - homework (??!!!???!!!) and daily assessments... hard core! but it means no time for running!! so i've only been out sunday (12 mile) and tuesday 5.7 miles.... I HAVE to go for a run tomorrow morning or i will either 1) implode or 2) cause GBH to anyone or anything in my path that says the wrong thing!

Silver - its really lovely to hear you fully, with your running mojo back... the tready and the HM have really re-inspired you!  Great to hear it.

10 days until the Great South Run - I have my race number through so looking forward to that!

Hope to be on here again soon - work / homework depending.  image

• Options
    Emma all that homework sounds hideous. I sometimes wake up in a panic thinking I have an exam that I haven't revised for and the last exams I did were my professional ones in 1997! Its a proper panic too with the sweats and increased HR - horrible. Does anyone else get that?!?

Mojo well and truly back now after Sunday. I loved the run but must remember that it was a a beautiful day and b a totally flat course. When I'm struggling up a hill in 3 degrees with the rain blowing in my face the mojo may dissappear very quickly!! image
  • Options

Hi everyone, just a quick one to say that I have had a fantastic day at Alton Towers with friends. Walked everywhere, did almost all the rides. What better day to celebrate my birthday? this time next year I'll be in Egypt, for now though just back so chilling with a drink image

• Options

Happy Birthday Maam, sounds like you've had a good one image

Emma, hope you get your run and don't hurt anyone to much, good luck with your studies as well

Silver, don't think about it! do it! you know you want toimage

I know I said it was going to be an easy session this evening, well you know me I couldn't resist joining the group doing hill reps, only 4.5 miles in 45 minutes, a very tough session but good at the same time if you know what I mean.image

I'll make sure Sunday's run is nice and slow, I promise.

• Options
    Happy Birthday Maam - You kept that quiet or did I miss a post? Haven't been to Altin Towers since I was 15! But sure the boys will get me there sometime soon.

Training sounds gruelling Stewart as I hate hills. I know what you mean about it bring good though - feels great when you've successfully completed a hard session.

Friday night on the tready for me. Just had a couple of miles during the week do Im going to do a full on hill/ interval sesh. No footie on Sunday so may even go OUTSIDE for a run. Arghhhhhh!!
  • Options

image HaPpY bIrThDaY Maam!!! image

Miss Sneaky!!! image

Didn't harm anyone this week - have been full on with homework and getting assessed this week.  Good news is I did well and i've finished for the week!!!  I got home and had a little nap and did some cleaning to clear my mind.

Silver - I love running up a hill with the rain in my face - something quite 'hard core' about it!

Stewart - you are a machine!!! I like your style!! 

Day off from running tomorrow as long(ish) run on sunday so will go to the gym and do a spin class 'instead'....

So happy its the weekend - hope everyone is happy, healthy and has an amazing w/e!

• Options
    Well I went out for a run at lunchtime but it was a disaster. Set off way too fast, first mile in 7min 10secs! and after 1.5m I was exhausted. I was only aiming for 3m and I ended up walking for 5mins. Can't believe I ran, yes ran 13m on Sunday and I couldn't manage 3 today. image. I'm well peeved.

Also the lanes were flooded and muddy so I spent most of the route slipping and sliding around. Not fun.

Can't understand the change in my fitness maybe it's a hangover from last we as I feel totally exhausted tonight. Oh well there's always Ice Cream to look forward to.image
  • Options

Hey - I have days like that too Silver  Can run for 10 - 12 miles on a sunday but then on a tuesday at 3 miles i'm dead on my feet, can barely breathe and legs are suddenly lead....

Put it behind you and look forward to the next one!  Aim to go super slow or do some fartlek - but shorter distances at that pace.  Or even go for a run without the watch and forget the figures!

Mud is the worst! so slippery, so dangerous and a pain in the as*!

• Options

and because you ran so far and so fast for 13 miles on sunday, I think even though you feel fine, sometimes your body just takes a bit of time to catch up....

• Options
    Think you're right Em. I've been totally exhausted all week - can't wake up and can't wait to go to bed which isn't like me as I don't normally need much kip. I have a theory that the adrenaline took me through last weeks race and fooled me into thinking I'm a bit fitter than I am. Not that I'm complaining but I need to do a bit more road running to get back into it.

Actually thinking about it I may have the sniffles again. Oh poop I reckon that's it I'm coming down with the lurgy again. Arghhhhh keep away from me I'm contagious! image

Only got to stand outside in wet and cold for 2 hours watching footie in the morning!
  • Options

Silver. I had a real problem with runs like that after my first HM. Seemed to lose any ability to pace myself. Do as Emma says and make a concious effort to run as slowly as you possibly can.

I am three runs in to my do every run slowly plan. Going well so far. Plan to build it up over the next month so that I am comfortably over 30 miles per week.

Not planning any further ahead because of the complicated work situation.

• Options

Hi everyone.

I did keep birthday quiet, sorry.  Just wasn't sure wanted to celebrate but after all my knee and chest have been through was the best day I could ever have asked for.  So doing well as meal with folks couple weeks ago was for birthday, was out Tuesday, Thursday, last night, tonight image Rest again tomorrow image

Sounds like lots of tough running going on too, making me short of breath just thinking about it. Sticking to walking for now and loving it image

Ok, off shopping now image

• Options
    Well the cold hasn't materialised despite 2 hours at footie this morning but something is draining me of energy. Mrs S thinks I've got a virus but then she is a hypochondriac of the highest order - not that I'd tell her that to her face!image

My boy scored 2 and they won both games 8-1 and 4-0 so bring on the quarter finals! image

Let's just hope Liverpool can replicate their success - somehow I doubt it! image

Good advice in running Stripes I'm going to slow it down for a couple of sessions to see how I get on. I'd just like to run a 5k flat out to see how I can do. My best time is just over 25mins but that was ages back and I'm sure I can better it.
  • Options

Silvertop - I still want to see those funny pics of you doing your half marathon image when you going to let us know your race number??!!!

Tripes - (i'm sticking with it!) sounds like you're doing some good mileage!  How is the work situation - you finishing the working for yourself for definite?  Good luck with it all....

Maam - so long as you had a good day image 

For all of your info, it's my birthday next month.  I'll be a grand old age of 35 and I intend on eating LOADS!!!!

That's all for now.  I have a spin class to intend, some vibration training (don't think rude - think power plate) and some x-training.  Tonight - salted popcorn and Paranormal Activity 4 at the cinema.  NOM!

• Options

Em - like the plan for your birthday, I'm off for South African meal tonight image Birthdays are for diet free but fun days image

Good luck with the running, spinning etc

Have a great weekend everyone

• Options

Happy Bithday for yesterday Maam. Hope you enjoy the South African meal tonight. Mr Mal is from SA and I should experiment more with some of the traditional foods.

Thanks for the welcome back everyone. I've managed a 2mile run today with my twin today, it was good, just trying to remind myself it's ok to start slowly and build it all up gradually again.

Stewart those hill reps sound very daunting but well done!

Emma, hope you haven't drowned under all that homework! Good plan for your 35th.

Sorry to hear you have the lurgy Silver, hope you feel better soon. You've done such an amazing race you can afford to reward yourself with icecream provided you don't tell Mrs Silver the Hypochondriac comment!

Stripes, I like the goal, I'll do the same but mine's a tenth of yours!

• Options
    Hi Mal - welcome back and well done on the run (got it in early!) image

Hope the family Mal are well and the studying is going well.

If Booey comes back tomorrow it'll be a full house again - one happy little (running) family! image

Back on tready today with my new accessory a Halo headband which is guaranteed to stop the sweat getting in my eyes. I look a bit like John McEnroe from the 80's but if it makes me run faster who cares!image

I've toyed with the idea of posting my pics and decided to give you all a laugh so here's the link - as youre looking think of Mo Farah on the home straight in the 10000m.image. Race no. is 3440.

http://philoconnorphotographyltd.thirdlight.com/viewcontainer.tlx?containerid=13257294615&home=1
  • Options

Mal - wow - you built up to 2 miles pretty quick considering all you've had to deal with!  I love the south african accent - do you sometimes speak with a twang of south african when you're talking to Mr Mal?

Silver - those pics are great!  Literally when I run I have jowlly wobbly face!  Or I just look plain exhausted!  You don't have any horrific 'race face' or anything image

Will be nice to have Booey back - she can 'meet' Stewart and Margrit!  

Only did a 5 mile this morning - wasn't feeling it to be honest, but am feeling it now watching the great bupa run in birmingham.  I get all jittery tummy thinking - next week, i'll be at the Great South and the atmosphere.... cannot wait.  New pic of me with my medal to replace the GSR pic of me with my medal from last year as my profile pic as of next week. 

This past year, i've picked up 5 medals, 1 t-shirt and a golden shoe thingo from races.  If you didn't 'see me running' you'd think I was a pro..... lol

• Options
    You need a cabinet for all those trophies Emma. Thanks for kind word on the pics - I think I look shattered. Just wish I could get a pic with both my feet off te ground at the same time like te RW models! In fact just one foot off the ground would be good. Haha!
  • Options

Hi guys,

Nice pics Silver, you need the curls for the full McEnroe lookimage hopefully that cold has stayed away.

Emma, well done on the 5 this morning and you'll be fine next week I'm looking forward to the race report and pics image

Hi Mal, thanks, I actual like hill reps and intervals, weird I know, good to see you're getting back out there nice and slowly is defo the way to go.

Maam, how was the meal, I'm sure it was delious, won't be long now and those walks will turn into gentle jogs image

Stripes, hows the slow running coming along, I'll be looking to to do something similar getting my miles up in prep for half training starting in December.

Slow runs today, that right runs image, a group of us met up at the Culloden battlefield centre, for a trial run before the races next week, so the first run was a gentle 5.9 miles in just over an hour and 8 minutes, just a reckie.

The second run was the run home from the battlefield, 8.1 miles in total, had to add the 0.1 mile on so I had a nice round figure for the day, in 1hour and 21 minutes, legs are feeling it know, but in a good way, 14 miles in total, a little further than I was expecting to run, but a little typical of me image

Easy running planned next week before the 17.46k on Sunday.

• Options

Hi everyone

Sounds like everyone is getting on so very well

Silver - I loved the pics, even my OH had a look image I agree with Em, def not horrific pics by any stretch of the imagination.

Stewart - you are glutten for punishment with your running. Slow down a bit before you end up injured and out of the game.  Totally paranoid for you after all I've been through and I was putting in some big miles but not as much as you and I stayed clear of hills image

Em - Meal last night was great, totally stuffed with full 3 courses and half a bottle of wine. Don't know how managed to fit it all in as still feeling stuffed now! Great night though image

Mal - I'm impressed at the speed that you are building back up, but agree slow and steady is the way forward to keep on the right path.  Just remind me of this when I get the ok to run again as I can see me not wanting to hold back image Really proud of you though.

Can't wait for Boo to get back and meet Stewart and Margrit. We truely will have our running family back and I would like to thank all of you for you continued support over the last year with all my health and injury issues. Your support has been really good for me and helped to keep my motivation and spirits up. Without you I really don't know where I would be now so thank you so much image

Tripes - how is the running going, when is your next race?

Ok, off to chill out now after a food fest weekend.  Need to try and rest tonight as not sleeping again image Oh well, will get worse before better as job application due in this week then the waiting begins, interview or not, job or not image