Options

VLM 2012 first timers???

Comments

• Options

Hello all- hope your all well.

not sure I dare say but I'm in great working order and nearly ready for Canterbury half in 2 weeks image

• Options

Hi siony and everyone else. Great to hear you're doing great siony and things are going well for your half. Any time hoped for? 

Like you I'm in decent running order, currently doing 25-30 miles a week, next event isn't until first week in October which is a tough half marathon which I've avoided in previous years by helping at it but the time has come to man up and face up to it....lol

• Options

Hi

Siony eeeeeeek only 2weeks to your half.  Cardiff half is at beginning of October so still a way to go for me.  Had a bad running week this week what with the tail end of huricane wotsit last Sunday although did manage 6 miles hard work nearly got absolutely soaked by a really monsoon like shower...... but someone was looking out for me and gave me a bus shelter to hide in !

where is Kiwi ?????

• Options

Hi all. Sorry. Here PIP. !! Really apologise for not being back on the thread before. Just crazy with marathon training, coaching, work, daughter back home now from uni , the lot. haven't read back, how is it all going. Plenty to talk about, I have signed up for the Cardiff 10k as a tune up race for the Barnstaple marathon.

Just a little bit of interesting info for any of you that think because you miss a weeks training through any reason. I had a saw sore hip last week and decided after a 60 mile week and multiple long runs ( 13 miles x  2, 15,16,17,18 and 2x20 milers) to rest it for a whole week. meaning my weekly mileage went from 60 miles to  0 !!!! the last long run I did the week before was 10 miles. Once my hip was better I went for a 20 miler on Sunday. First run in a week. It went fantastically. The perceived effort felt about the same, if not easier and it was @ a pace of 6.18, that surprised me more than anything. Bottom line is here, if you have to have a week or so off because of any reason in your training, don't worry. It will do you the world of good . Ignore any of the horror stories of how much fitness you lose over a week of not running.  It is minimal !! I have more than one story of runners having to have a little bit of time off, then going out and running a blinder. I may even incorporate this from now on in my training !!! A mid term break. Food for thought anyway .I have often pondered on this through some of the info I have received from other runners. I may experiment !!!

• Options

Hi Kiwi

interesting reading.  I must admit if I have had a week off and then do a long run on the weekend, I have always felt better for it.  Is it possible that aches and pains are a sign that your body/mind is saying 'stop I need a break' ?? Must admit what you say has made me feel bettter and not so paranoid if I miss a few runs.  Flipping heck though a 60 mile week !! and 6.18 pace......think you deserve a break image follwing Hal Higdon half marathon training plan, but slightly confused that the Sunday before the half I am supposed to do 12 miles...thought I would have done less that week.  Anyway so far I am doing ok.

Waves to everyone around x

• Options

Pip. 12 miles will be fine. There is no intensity to it. Just take it nice and steady. It is not as if it is a 12 mile intensive run. You will have plenty of time to recover from that , esp as it is easy, not fast, and if you have a nice half marathon taper over the week you will be fine. not quite the same as doing a 20 miler and then having to taper for a marathon. What half are you doing ? 

• Options

Good stuff. I have done the Cardiff half once and it is a fantastic race. Always said I would do it again as it was that good. But it clashes with other things.!!

• Options

Do Cardiff every year, they have apparently changed the route again !!  no runs for me tomorrow  arghhhhhhh!! someone very kindly passed their cold to me so for two days have been coughing and wheezing imageimage so will miss one long run.  Not panicking though ...... Yet !

• Options

No need to panic. You will lose absolutely nothing in terms of fitness over two days. You can always catch up on your  long run.I

It can be down on any day really. Sundays are just convenient and race specific.

• Options

Hello all- hope your half training is going well pip?

caterbury half last bank holiday for me. What a different day from last year- torrential rain as opposed to 26 previous year!

think I prefer the rain

was a bit behind with long runs as had to have 2 weeks off with odd ankle pain- it went and none the wiser why ( blaming a pair of high heels?)

was expecting a pw but managed a Canterbury course pb of 1:51- quite surprised!

( i can never get anywhere near my other half marathon pb with the hills of Canterbury - it is definitely a challenging course, but always a friendly one)

only negative was cups rather than bottles- bloody hell- most of the water went up my nose! Just as well it was cool and wet. Camepak for me next year.

planning a house move at the moment also.

hope your well kiwi and all others still reading

if anyone uses nike plus we have a gaggle of people training and running together on it- let me know if your interested and I will pass on details

happy running and catch up soon x

• Options

Hi Siony. Yep. All good here. Just ran the Cardiff 10k today. First 10k I have run in 2 years. tough, but good.  Next up the Barnstaple marathon.

• Options

Anyone in the house !! ??

• Options
    Hi I am here. Well hopefully doing 10 miles tomorrow eeek ! Swansea bay 10k next Sunday. Wont be long now until London marathon ballot result. Not holding out much hope of being successful but hey who knows. Well done on Canterbury Siony . Hey Kiwi how about doing Swansea next year ?
  • Options

10 mile run done, really enjoyed it.  Quite pleased with myself actually as haven't really run properly for 2 weeks due to asthma.  Everyone ok out there ?

• Options

All good pip- starting to feel autumnal here. 

Planning a house move - proving to be more stressful than I expected 

• Options

Hi all, good running pip! Nice 10miler, always feels good getting into the double digit miles!

I did the Stirling 10k today in 44.29 and happy with that, 2nd quickest 10k I've ever done and 20secs away from a pb so good days running. Did a wee 4 mile cool down afterwards to get mileage up a bit. 

Half marathon on 05/10 then marathon training for Manchester so plenty to keep me running!

• Options

Hi all can't believe how quickly the nights are drawing in.  Well done on your 10k Bigeater don't think I will be that speedy for Swansea 10k on Sunday.My Half is on the 5th as well  eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek !!

• Options

Well Swansea Bay 10k done did it in 52.59 [ nowhere near your time Bigeaterimage but pleased with that although  would love to have done it quicker ! but well done to Swansea brilliant organisation as always.  They actually announced my name and time as I sprinted through the finish....... fame at last.  It was so warm but must not grumble. Hope everyone is ok image

• Options

Fantastic pip, great time and bet you enjoyed being back into the race atmosphere again. Nice to get a shout out! It was warm yesterday so that's a good run under your belt. Onwards and upwards! 

• Options

Fantastic time pip- good luck for your upcoming half

anyone else watching the postman? Sure it's later than usual this year image

• Options
    Siony .....think its October and that's today. Good luck. I cant imagine getting in again on the balot .... But hey who knows.
  • Options

And it's a no for me- did get a spot for Paris - so injury allowing( touch wood all good at moment) will have a go at this instead

• Options

London ko for me also. Glad I booked Manchester.looking forward to it.

• Options
    Disappointed I didnt get a place in London. Have to think of another plan now. Cardiff half tomorrow. eeeek !
  • Options

Well Cardiff half done a disappointing 2 hours 2 mins and 30 secs.  Made a basic stupid error and set ff too fast and paid for it then at mile 11. Ah well I will learn from that .... waiting for a telling off from Kiwi image  Apart from that it was a good run, the weather was perfect.

Anyone around ?????

• Options

Hi pip, well done. Good mileage under the belt and learning all the time so all good. My HM went well today, 1.39.41 absolutely gobsmacked I went sub 1.40, no way I thought I had that in me but perfect day for it. 

Having a beer now because I'm gubbed!

• Options

Super speedy Big eater, actually looked on Cardiff half marathon and my category position was 79 so that makes me feel better.  Although on the whole 'could do better'

Anyone about ?

• Options

Hi all. Having a good month break after my last marathon. Off back home to NZ for December, and guess what. There just happens to be a marathon in my home town on the 13th !!! Brilliant. Will have to do it !!