Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options

Well done Jason

Tek-twas only a matter of time before you smashed it fella and today you smashed it in style.Enjoy getting pished mate

• Options
    Well done Tek. All those miles really paid off. Congrats.
  • Options
    Cotton wool: Teknik : Cotton wool

Hope your head's not too bad todayimage
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Didn't get round to watching Snowdonia coverage last night as the beer got the better of me image so watching ot now as i've a day off work.

What a beautiful marathon Snowdonia looks, absolutely stunning in places.

Think i've seen jason a couple of times as well assuming he has the same colours on as his profile pic ????

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

mace- yep, blue and white TROTS vest, distinctive green shorts, blue shoesimage. It is a cracking race- tough as nails, but great atmosphere and scenery. Back for number 5 next yearimage

I can't walk very well today....image 

• Options

Tek - Brilliant stuff mateimage Hope the hangover isn't too nasty today!image

----

9.75 miles @ 10.01 for me today. Felt pretty tough going. Fitness has dropped a lot in the past few weeks I think. Which actually gives me pretty of cause for optimism.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Frankfurt 2012

I reached the start-line this time with a feeling of anticipation and confidence, rather than the usual dread and sense of impending doom.  It was cold – it had snowed a little on Saturday, and although the day was bright and sunny, it was no higher than 2C.  I joined the bins with a sweater on top of my MacMillans vest, and stood shivering for twenty minutes, surrounded by everyone else in jackets, snoods, and leggings.  I was going to throw the sweater at the start, but I knew it would get pretty cramped so with ten minutes to go I lobbed it over the fence, and seconds later started to shake uncontrollably.   A lot of guys were laughing at me, until someone asked where I was from. I shouted my reply in my best Gerrard Butler voice – “Spar-ta!”

I had given myself a long talking to the night before, and decided 8.35mm pace was going to risk a blow-up, so decided on the 8.45mm pace band.  I took one last long stare at it as we marched up to the start-line, and then we were off.  Predictably I had to weave around a load of runners who had picked the wrong bin, and when I passed the first 5k marker I swore – the Garmin read 3.26m, and I spent a fair amount of the next few miles extrapolating the extra 0.15m, with Berlin’s “extra” 0.75m fresh in my mind.  “Stick to the blue line” I kept saying.

I went through the next few 5k markers at fairly even splits, the average pace box on the Garmin settling around the 8.38mm mark for most of the first half. As I went through I checked the HR – it had just nudged 80%max, so I knew I had plenty left in the tank.

In my head I kept repeating two mantras – “lift, lift, lift” to get my feet off the ground quickly (a tip from the triathlon camp), and “core, core, core”, to make sure I wasn’t slouching, and keeping upright to breathe as deeply as possible (Gobi tip).

I concentrated hard to maintain pace and hit mile 20 in under 2h55, and a smile spread across my face – as AGF had predicted – I knew I had bagged a sub 4. I resisted the temptation to up the pace, all the time telling myself “next mile” – it was easy to be patient, as by this time I was ghosting past hordes of fading runners. 

By now I was recognising signs of glycogen depletion – mental maths conversion of km / m was slowing down, and I felt dizzy – so I took sip of gel from my bottle every kilometre, swilling it around my mouth (I had reached stomach overload point so I couldn’t take more).

At mile 24 I latched onto the back of one of the relay runners – they were doing 10.55k each – but after a few hundred metres my left calf was twitching, so I gave up on him and eased off. Finally the Messe Tower came into view, with about a mile and a half to go, and it dawned on me that I could just break 3h50 – cue an 8.10mm finish, ending with flashing lights and a red carpet inside the Festhalle.  

3h49m40s.     Small negative split 1h55/1h54.

Sore knee to match the sore head today!image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your congratulations.

Here's the splits for mace et al.

1) - 1m - 8:33(8:33/m) - 153bpm avge - 165bpm max -   (72%)

2) - 1m - 8:33(8:33/m) - 155bpm avge - 160bpm max -   (73%)

3) - 1m - 8:25(8:25/m) - 156bpm avge - 163bpm max -   (74%)

4) - 1m - 8:15(8:15/m) - 158bpm avge - 163bpm max -   (75%)

5) - 1m - 9:30(9:31/m) - 159bpm avge - 166bpm max -   (75%)  don't remember going to sleep here...GPS glitch I think

6) - 1m - 8:51(8:51/m) - 161bpm avge - 166bpm max -   (76%)

7) - 1m - 8:34(8:34/m) - 164bpm avge - 170bpm max -   (77%)

8) - 1m - 8:22(8:22/m) - 164bpm avge - 170bpm max -   (77%)

9) - 1m - 8:32(8:33/m) - 164bpm avge - 174bpm max -   (77%)

10) - 1m - 8:42(8:42/m) - 165bpm avge - 170bpm max - (78%)

11) - 1m - 9:22(9:22/m) - 166bpm avge - 177bpm max - (78%) P stop

12) - 1m - 8:36(8:36/m) - 169bpm avge - 177bpm max - (80%)

13) - 1m - 8:44(8:44/m) - 170bpm avge - 178bpm max - (80%)

14) - 1m - 8:37(8:37/m) - 172bpm avge - 177bpm max - (81%)

15) - 1m - 8:46(8:46/m) - 173bpm avge - 179bpm max - (82%)

16) - 1m - 8:44(8:44/m) - 174bpm avge - 180bpm max - (82%)

17) - 1m - 8:50(8:50/m) - 177bpm avge - 181bpm max - (83%)

18) - 1m - 8:46(8:47/m) - 176bpm avge - 181bpm max - (83%)

19) - 1m - 8:51(8:51/m) - 178bpm avge - 182bpm max - (84%)

20) - 1m - 8:40(8:41/m) - 181bpm avge - 185bpm max - (85%)

21) - 1m - 8:45(8:45/m) - 181bpm avge - 185bpm max - (85%)

22) - 1m - 8:55(8:55/m) - 181bpm avge - 185bpm max - (85%)

23) - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 182bpm avge - 187bpm max - (86%)

24) - 1m - 8:32(8:32/m) - 184bpm avge - 188bpm max - (87%) 

25) - 1m - 8:55(8:55/m) - 183bpm avge - 186bpm max - (86%) 

26) - 1m - 8:09(8:10/m) - 187bpm avge - 195bpm max - (88%)

27) - 0.41m - 3:23(8:11/m) - 191bpm avge - 199bpm max (90% to 94%)

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Tek- great consistent running
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - average 80% ?

would you run it differently with the benefit of hindsight ?

so didn't you look at HR at all before half way ?

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Thanks Jason - great run in Snod!

mace - 81%, although I'm not sure it's a useful number over 26 milesimage. I did look at the HR all the way (although I had decided to ignore it if it was "bad") - ran to pace, not HR, the fact that it stayed under control was a confidence booster.  In hindsight I think I could have nudged 3.45, but with the way my knee is right now, I'm glad I didn't try.image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Great run Teknik. My average marathon HR is about 172 - 175 so probably much the same. Would you recommend Frankfurt marathon then? What sort of course is it?

Glad I'm not doing New York, worrying about a hurricane is on a whole different level!

HM4 no word but I guess it just stays the same or goes away!

F

• Options

Nice report Tek. In my first marathon hitting 20 miles in good shape and under 3 hours was a better feeling for me than actually crossing the finishing line because that was the point I knew I was going to finish and get sub 4 hours.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Well done & great report.

(((Fiona))),

Hope it does go away.

• Options
    FionaC - usually asymptomatic and benign but unlikely to go away unless there is a remedial cause such as side effect of medication.

Tek - good write up and race strategy played out.
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    4 .15m nice and slow for me tonight, just to get the legs loosened for stretching. Downhills are an issue at the moment.....
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - brave call to ignore HR if it's "bad" image especially if you're training revolves around it. I wasn't that brave in my only race to date but i guess it's something that comes with experience. Glad your HR went well and take care of the knee.

jason - i'm not surprised some of them downhills looked more brutal than the uphills image. Out of interest, how much of the race was off road ?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Mace- I think about 2k early on and about 1 m later on-??
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

F: Frankfurt was good - everyone I know who ran it PBd. It's all tarmac, closed roads, very flat, well organised, not overcrowded, but I guess my opinion is driven by the result - Berlin is bigger, with bigger crowds, more bands on the roadside - but September can be very warm, which is why I plumped for October and Frankfurt.  Running in 1C to 2C meant the HR stayed low!!

plus I got to wave at Patrick Makau (there are quite a few out-and-back bits)image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Sounds great Tek, could be one for next year. I did Berlin in 2009 and it was torrential rain!

Hope the recover goes well jason. Are you cutting back for a few weeks or is there another marathon on the horizon?

F

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Fiona- Frankfurt does sound interesting. No more marafuns for me for a bit! Gloucester 50k next up in Jan, but main focus is going to be improving my half time- got a super hilly one in Feb and a flat one in March. Then VLM again image

What has everyone else got lined up for 2013?
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

My races for next year are going back to the usual, 2.5 miles in May, 5 miles in June, 5k in September & club championship 10k in October.  There's hopefully going to be a fair few parkruns done also.

• Options

Teknik,  I love the report...especially the Spar-ta bit at the beginning. You were pumped. We have a couple of similarities. I started to get muscle cramps and had to ease off a bit. These started earlier for me. However I read in a book that these occur when you are on/just above your  threshold in a marathon and its yours bodys way of keeping you on check. So whilts its possible that you could have gained a few extra minutes to say 3:45 you were pretty close to your threshold. This just goes to show how great you paced it. 

The second is the knee thing. I had a sore knee afterwards. Turned out to be ITB. A week or so of foam roller sorted it. I have a theory that this is partially due to the hadd training. As we both trained mostly at 70% then the gait/stride pattern/stress is slightly different to that at 80%+ - hence the stress to the ITB.  This is why I plan a decent 8-12M weekly run 80% to try and improve this side of things.  ( My theory is probably flawed )

Jason, next year I have brighton and Berlin booked and planned. I Also have 2 Half Marathons in March - Warwick And Silverston. Warwick is undulating and will be a MP/progression Run after a 7 mile warm up and Silverston will be eyeballs out to help determine what my MP should be.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    AGF- eyeballs out- I like it! image

Lots of Cross training with JD jnr in Folly Farm Adventure Park for me today and 6.38m recovery run tonight- legs starting to feel normal again image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF I think you're spot on again...HR was spiking up when I picked up the pace at the end, so I guess the lactate went up with it; the knee must be ITB.  I agree with you about the lack of sub-LT (Hadd), although I did switch to P&D and did the LT runs (higher HR but much shorter) as well as the mara-pace finishes to LR's (at 80%)...it was a bit sporadic, I admit - so I think I'll pencil in a weekly sub-LT run this time (won't be able to handle two).

[Sorry all for the mumbo jumbo]

Glad you had a nice day with junior, Jasonimage, and that the legs are feeling better

F I would have much preferred the rain!!

HM have you signed up for Insanity yet?

---

Mulling over the plan now. I think I'll go back to slow base training, with one weekly leg stretch at 80%. January I'll join the club for Half Mara training (basically a race every Sunday, flat out from 6m building up to 11m) then aim to mueller my Half time.  If that goes well, I'll find a flat April / May mara and aim for a faster mara time.image  If not, I'll just go back to Halstead and collect the sub4 they owe meimage 

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

A quick recovery jason.

Love all the post race analysis!

VLM for me image then must plan something in autumn, I enjoyed Amsterdam and there are direct flights from Inverness so might go for that. I ran Berlin after 8 weeks of no running so may be good to try that one with some decent training through the summer. Also Inverness half in March and a 10 mile Turkey Trot on 9th December. There is normally a half in February that I do between two RAF bases but the date is not out yet.

4 miles easy last night then tonight 7 miles with 6 lots of 1k at 15k/hr and 200m recoveries. Should really go and stretch. image

F

• Options

Lots going on as usual!

I tried my first run post Amsterdam last night, and I must say not good. Still far from well but I know its a long journey ahead. There will be lots of slow running for the next few months whether I like it or not. image

Plans for next year......Inverness Half again in March, Pairs again in April, The Devil O the Highlands Footrace in August and Berlin in September..........Robbing a bank very shortly!!

Hopefully with some TLC I will be fully recovered to start training again properly in December.image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Not yet.  I want to get back running a bit first.

----------

Good luck with everyone's plans for next year.

• Options

Kaz/Fiona. FYI if you do decide to do Berlin....

Berlin Sold out in its original registration period in 3 hours. However some tour operators have places left..

However it is expected that placed will come free again. Link and text below

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/news-and-media/news/2012/10/25/sold-out-40000-runners-registered-for-the-2013-bmw-berlin-marathon-within-three-and-a-half-hours.html

SOLD OUT: 40,000 runners registered for the 2013 BMW BERLIN MARATHON within three and a half hours

2012-10-25

Registration for the 2013 BMW BERLIN MARATHON is closed. The participation limit of  40,000 was reached after three and a half hours.

Several tour operators still have some bib numbers left.

All pre-registered receive an email with a personal code and have to perform their final registration between November 5th and 9th (Paps test, any desired extras).

On November 16th information will be provided (via website, Facebook/Twitter and newsletter) on how many spots in each of the three categories will be open again for registration.
    On November 17th at 6 p.m. those remaining spots are open again for registration.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭