Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options

Nice to see you back NP image Such a good thing to do for Kelly, she must be over the moon! Hope the wrist settles down and you get a great 6 weeks training! image

Seems to be a lot of massage going around so I'm booked in for next Tuesday, first one in about 2 years and looking forward to it!

Nice parkrunning AGF and Stuart.

Take care of that knee Teknik.

14 miles for me in beautiful sunshine this morning. Cold and a bit breezy but so good to be out with blue skies and snow capped mountains in the distance. image

Thinking about next year and PB's - any theories out there on what got you to a marathon PB - consistent miles, speedy short stuff, a lot of long runs, cross training......? image I know we are all different but I'll be trying to train smarter for VLM. Thinking that my 1st marathon was 3:34 so pretty shabby that I've only taken 14 minutes off when you guys all take chunks off your time!! 

F

• Options

Had a couple of weeks of easy running avg 10.26 pace and its all very nice and relaxing,back up to 25 mpw by next weekend .

Tek ive had a look at the Hadd training and am hoping to get out next week and do a max hr test .Ive wore the Hr strap on most of my runs and average hr has worked out at 138 bpm.But i suppose i cant be sure of effort until i test max hr.

Although the trainings felt easy pace i couldnt resist a few cheeky faster miles at the end of a 7 miler today just too see if the legs still had basic speed in them.Quite a hard effort but it felt good.

My Dad put me through a session of "old school football training " last night at the gym with the medicine ball.Ached a bit afterwards.According to him all this modern training is for big Nancy boys and hes adamant that the "old way" will get you fitter faster.

He scoffs at the idea of protein /recovery shakes and said a big plate of stew ,tatties ,and veg  is all you need to recover from hard sessions lol

• Options

Swim in 6C today followed by 7.5 miles.
    Hadn't allowed for tide and came out to wet towels and a cameraimageimage

Teknik wrote (see)
    Stuart - Ouch. I gave up chasing girls a long while agoimage. You'll do it next time!

LOL
    Certainly a bit Parkie here!image

• Options

Stuart, you will ctach her next timeimage whats your PB?

Look after your knee Tek - can imagine that marathon may still be in your legs !!

Thanks HM4

Sounds like a nice run Fiona. I love Autumn for exacty the type of run you mentioned image  I think your your more qualified than me about running faster...but I think 2 things are required to make "breakthroughs".... the first is that you need to do something different to what you normally do. If you do the same then you get the same results or minor improvement.  The second is that the only consistent main correlation between better times and another variable is "miles". Eg if you run more miles you run faster times. For me the only way I can do that is it run most of those miles in a Hadd way. ( eg slow - aerobic) or I get injured. Its takes up a lot of time though image Jason and NP et al will undoubtably give better advise.....just a view.

YC, nice to see your building up and your still highly motivated after the marathon. I agree with your dad that a lot of the products on the market ( eg lucozade etc are a waste of time. Some of the old ways do work....and hey-  if medicine balls work for Rocky - then maybe theres something to it too image  

Ps - I sometimes put the rocky music on my ipod shuffle and if it plays on a run I always speed up regardless of the type of run image

• Options

OH - sounds cold.....hope the run warmed you up !!

• Options

Certainly is a bit Parkie here today indeed OH!!

I would not of liked to have been swimming in the seaimage

Junior had netball league this morning, so I did a run in your area OH, but never saw anyone else.image It was a nice change, although I probably did a bit muchimage

• Options

AGF whether it works or not reamains to be seen,i just thought i would give him his place and let him explain to me how he used to train a few years back.Hes 57 and still plays 5 a sides once a week with a couple of gym visits  a week as well.He dosent get the running thing though as for him all his running was mostly short sprints and efforts and probaably didnt enjoy it.

Not 100 per cent yet but im thinking along the lines of a spring marathon at the minute,possibly Lochaber.See how winter running goes first.I know theres a sub 4 in me somewhere just need to find it first.

• Options

Kaz - JS group went to S Ron although Els did a run around town somewhere

Mmm need to sart thinking about 2013

• Options

Tek - Haha!image Hope the knee is ok.

Jason - 6 mile tempo run so soon after a mara sounds a bit tough for my liking! Though I do detest fast running...

Fiona - Well done

YC - Nice run, and gym sesh

AGF - The lassie in question is actually slightly slower than me. My original plan had been to use her as a pacer, as I know she consistently runs low 21s. I decided against it when I seen the pace she went off at. I'd have blew up big style if I followed her through the 1st mile.

My PB is 20.56, actually thats a course best, as I ran a faster 5k during my last 10k (20.3x I think my 2nd 5 was) but I don't really care about that...

OH - Good run, not sure about the swim though!

--------

Gym this afternoon, upper body pull. Quick and easy. Jumped on the scales, 75.5kg, 3 kilos lighter than I was at Loch Ness.

• Options

Fiona- Most of my training ahs been based on P&D. If i had to pick 1 factor, it would be (relatively) high mileage. Though I am now going to spend the next few months concentrating on tempo runs and intervals to try and improve my 10k/half times before building up mileage again with 12 week P&D for Londonimage

Anyone (yc) looking for a spring mara with potential for being fast should check out the Llanelli Marathon in my neck of the woods- 2 laps and follows the Millenium coastal path and is flat apart from a couple of bridges which cross the railway. the only thing is that it's exposed to the elements- but it's been baking hot for the last 2 years!! Got my first GFA there back in 2010image. On same day as london this year, so handy for training with any VLMers you knowimage

Thought again about the tempo and went out, after dark, with it in mind. Plan was to do a 4m warm up then 4m tempo and 1m warm down. Did the 4m warm up before deciding to wait a bit longer before introducing speed again. legs feeling good, but don't want to push itimage Think I'll do 12 easy tomorrowimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

Well done.

-----------

Hope it's dry for everyone's runs as it's chucking it down here.

• Options
    Beautiful day here, albeit cool - calm and sunny

Kayak this afternoon ...
  • Options

Thanks for the thoughts on training guys. Think that will be the way forward - to do something different (AGF) this morning I booked my induction for the free weights room next Friday. The trainer there reckons that squats with weights etc will really help my running. For VLM I'll definitely structure my training around P & D and get the miles as high as I can without injury. That is always the problem for me but if I do weights and spin/turbo/metafit I hope that helps avoid injury. It will be a very different mix of training so it'll be interesting to see how I get on at VLM and in the autumn. image Can't wait for 2013!

Lots of good running, swimming (brrr), cross training and kayaking going on.

A beautiful morning here again, hope it brightens up with you HM4. Did spin and then 2 metafit classes. Got a Christmas cake to bake and will see if I do another run. Might leave it as clocked 40 miles this week - highest since 9th January pre injury!! image

F   

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

jason - nice running, hope the 12 went ok today

Fiona - good training and well done on the week's total

YC nice running - good luck with your Dad's trainingimage and the HR test.

OH nice swim (eek!) and run. Enjoy the kayaking...image

AGF like the Rocky ideaimage

Kaz glad you're feeling better

Stuart good weight loss!!

HM pouring here too - which made my mind up...

---

...no running here today - need to rest the knee

• Options

6.1 miles nice and slow this morning. Possible gym session later, but more likely pub session. 35 miles and gym twice this week for me. Happy enough with thatimage

• Options
    Fiona- well done on the mileage. Hope the cake turned out well!

SM- hope the pub session went/ is going well image

Tek- sounds like a wise decision

I should have run early today cos it was quite nice early on. Not by the time I went outimage 10.03m of slow running and even slower wading through puddles and mud

Legs still feeling the effects of last week's ( is that all it was?) marathon. 47.26m for the week
  • Options

Still peering anxiously into the oven at the Xmas cakes! Also made snacks for work - bars with cashew, brazil and pecan nuts, oats, chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds all held together with date puree and agave nectar. image 

The right decision Teknik

A good week's training there Stuart.

jason a 10 mile run the week after a (2nd) marathon is pretty amazing! Not surprised that the legs are a bit tired.

• Options
    Sounds like we've had the best weather in the far north. Cool but no wind and sun shone all day. Very enjoyable kayak trip across to Shapinsay, one of the neighbouring islands with 2 pals. Lovely skies and reflections on water coming back into Kirkwall bay. image
  • Options
    Fiona- those bars sound AMAZING image

Oh, and that was the 2nd 10 miler this week image

OH-sounds like you definitely had the best of the weather! image
  • Options
    Blimey. Good running post marathon Jason.

Fiona, nice plan and baking sounds lovely.

Rain all day here so ran at gym. 9 miles... Takes me to 51 for the week.

Happy after 1/2 bottle of wine and cooking an alternative roast (chicken, praprika, onion, beetroot, cabbage, roasties and creme fresh.). Sponge and custard to follow image

Nice!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF,

Sounds a yummy dinner.

Tek,

Good decision.

----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

Great mileage AGF and well done for 9m at the gym! Fab dinner too image

Sounds great OH. The nearest I got to water was washing the car but it was sunny.

jason are you keeing the weekly mileage high when you concentrate on the shorter distances before the VLM plan starts?

F

• Options
    Fiona- probably tick over at around 60
  • Options
    Lots of reading back again, done a number of runs since Dublin marathon and now put them onto Fetch, it's my arm that's buggered not my legs image

Some great training sessions going on as always nice to see what everyone thinks about P&D I think my big break through came when I went and doubled up on a couple of days during the week which pushed the miles up but also hitting the tempo runs. I like Jason am going to keep hitting the 10k stuff from now to Christmas and have my long run back up to 18/20 by the start of the plan but these will have been run very slow.

I also want to do more core work this time.
  • Options

For the 1st time in history, I think going to the pub actually helped my running!image Decided against the gym after the F1 yesterday, so went to the pub. By the time I walked there I knew I made the right choice. Legs were very very stiff and heavy. Had I done my planned squats/lunges, I wouldn't have managed to run today.

A nice 11.8 miles @10.00ish today. Heart rate was through the roof, but I think I know why!image 

• Options

Thanks Guys.

Good luck with the 10K training NP....you will be flying come marathon training

Nice running again stuart...and good choice yesterday...all work and no play etcimage

Managed 10 today myself. Mainly along the canal in crisp cold, sun...with lots of waterlogged patches image)  very enjoyable !!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sorry NP - can't imagine doing doubles. Are you still in pain with the arm, or is it manageable?

• Options

3 very dark miles tonight. Now dark at 4:30 image
    Ran off the path several times and narrowly avoided running into a parked car on Scapa front road. All good fun image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

OH,

Well done.

Tek,

Well done.  If the finish was outside that cheerleading lass was brave.  She must have been freezing.