Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    for 17 miles in 2003 I was running at below 9min mile pace and was well chuffed as I had some spare time in hand but then the heat kicked in (it was approaching 20c that day) and I started a walk/run approach - that time in hand suddenly went west and I came in at 4:07..........

yes, giving yourself some slack early on is a good tactic but be wary of the day and those last miles from 20 on are knackering.....

if your training has included a few 20+ mile runs then you should know by now what your body is capable of once you get to 20 miles so factor that into your race tactics.....

the big danger of course is going out too quick to build up some slack and then suffering later........

it's a fine line between getting your target and not

best of luck.....

I am hoping this year will be cooler than 2 years ago!!
  • Options
    Guess I am not going to have time to stop and say hi to the kids after London bridge after all! I'll give it a go, and if I don't make it, I don't make it - should be on for a PB though which would be smashing.

One more question if you can help? Do you get allocated pens and if so, can you bump yourself into a higher one? I'd like to start with the 9 min milers.

El C
  • Options
    You do get allocated pens depending upon the estimated finishing time you submitted.

I have always moved to a higher pen but last year they tried to stop me but managed to scramble past in the melee.

anything from 5 upwards is okay i have found.

wear a top over your running number and fiddle around when trying to show them the pen number. they might just pass you on. Or failing that, climb over the barricade!!!

• Options
    TetleyTetley ✭✭✭
    I want to run with the RW Sub 4 hr pace man but notice he will be in pen 5

I've been given pen 7

Wonder if I'll be able to start with him or if I'll have to do a sprint shuffle once the gun goes off?
  • Options
    Excuse my stupidity, but do you get a pen number from your original application form?
  • Options
    Regarding the start. How slow will the first two or three miles be due to overcrowding? Is there likely to be a bit of catch-up involved to get back on pace?
  • Options
    The pen number is affixed to the running number. It is usually on a round sticker and if i rember correctly a different colour.

You get your running number when you register.

The lower your estimated time the lower down the pens you will be placed.

Too slow and you start with the telephone boxes or fairies or whatever and it takes an age to get going even once you have crossed the start line.
  • Options
    TetleyTetley ✭✭✭
    s'pose now that the chip kicks off at the start you could put your feet up until the first mile is clear - but the you'll have another 10,000 runners to get past -
  • Options
    your pen number is allocated according to the time you put on your application form so they grade the pens from fastest to slowest.......

this has the effect of allowing (therotically) the faster runners to get away with less overcrowding in the first few miles.........but the problem are those slower runners who have either snuck forward to a faster pen, or have lied (sorry - been unrealistic) on their applications.........

saying all that - the first few miles will be crowded until runners settle into a steady pace.........I ended running on pavements, around cars and bollards, to stop getting bottlenecked last time but that was also because I stopped for a pee after about 400m from the start so had some time to make up!!!

take note - do not attempt FLM with a full bladder........

• Options
    Bikingbird

My times are similar to yours and untill reading this thread i was optimistic about gettng sub 4! Do you really think its possible? How do you hold up after 20m?

I've Done quite a few 18's and 20's but never anymore!

i'll be gutted if i miss the mark and go over 4hrs.

Fingers crossed!

Good luck all, what sort of runs are you doing over the next 2 weeks?

Whats the LSR for next weekend, anyone doing 12m?
  • Options
    Well only 12 days to go now, 12 days. Hmmm, doesn't sound much!

After a slight pull to my hamstring 3 weeks ago I've managed to build up again relatively gradually and peaked with a 20 miler on Saturday. I know all about the 3 week taper thing but phycologically I needed to prove I could go 20 miles without stopping. Managed it in 2:53 which I think puts me just about on course for sub four although I know how painful those last six miles are from last year...

From my experience the best plan for the next two weeks is to take it easy but not too easy. Concentrate on speed work rather than medium length runs, maybe one eight to ten miler next weekend. Last year I ate far too much in the week leading up to the race and felt really bloated, so change of plan this year with a more sensible diet me thinks!

Quick question though, I've never started from the Red start before, has anyone got any experience of whether it takes longer to get started than the blue start? Last year from pen 5 blue it took me 4m30s to cross the line and 12 mins to do the first mile. Anybody on red last year?
  • Options
    My long Sunday run will be 7.5 miles. I shall try it a a quick tempo to get as much out of it as i can, but long distances at this stage will have little or no effect on your big day, your more likely to hinder your performance. I think the final few runs are more for confidence than for fitness.
  • Options
    missed my 18 miler at the weekend as I was away so going to do it tonight on my way home from work and then seriously taper with a 12 miler next weekend - that will seem like a sprint in comparison to these big slogs........
  • Options
    I'm only going to do about 6-7miles this weekend at steady pace. Other runs during the week will only add up to a total of about 19m. I personally want to conserve as much energy as possible. I certainly take on board Hainsey's comments too. Think I ate too much before 10m race yesterday so will be cutting down from here on in.

Novice Al, I really believe that if all goes well on the day, then yes, we can achieve sub-4. It will be by a very small margin, but to me it's a dream target. I also have two others - 1. to finish and not feel like I'm dying, and 2. aub 4.15 which was my original target. So won't be disappointed I hope.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic. Ask me again during those last 6 miles though and it might be different.....
  • Options
    Hi Biking Bird,
    What was your time for your longest run? And do you feel confident you have chance of doing sub 4?

I did my longest run - a 20 miler last week in 3hrs 10 and although i didn't really push myself i am thinking sub 4 is far too optimistic now.

what do people reakon?
  • Options
    Linda

I've comfortably done a few 20m in 3hrs , and I not as comfotably did 18m in 3hrs yesterday and i'm still hoping that the day will go my way and with the right prep over the next two weeks that i'll achieve sub 4.

Going to do some smaller fast paced runs this week and not go over 10m next weekend,

Keep optomistic about it as that will be your driver on the day but I guess by 20 miles you will know if its achieveable, if you feel you can do it at 20 then go for it if not just let go of that idea and enjoy the last 6.2 miles.............thats my advice.

Good luck

• Options
    Great advice, novice Al.

Linda - My last long run of 21m took 3h25. Some uneven surface but I just felt tired. However, in race conditions, I did a 20m in 2h56 and felt fine during and after so that is the one that makes me think on the day, it will be possible.
  • Options
    If you are all doing 20 miles in 3 hrs, i think in race conditions and being well rested, you will defintely go under 4 hrs.

I would bet on it.

• Options
    I did 2hr 59 for 20 miles in a race and have a 47 min 10k time so I was hoping for under 4 hours. However I don't even know at the moment if I am able to run as I injured my hip last week!

If I do my hopes of 4 hrs will be out the window and I will just be happy to finish without to much discomfort.

It is feeling much better today, but not going to risk running on it until at least this weekend....which will be 2 weeks without a run :¬(
  • Options
    It is funny how in sport we get obsessed about round numbers, like scoring 100 runs in cricket, it is still only 1 run more than 99...why should we worry whether we run in 3.59 or 4.01....I think because none of us are experienced to know how well we will do we look for the nearest round number as a target which in our case is 4 hours...I haven't heard anyone yet say their target is 4.02 or 4.03. For a change why not set your target to come in the first 10,000 runners, or the first third of runners, 3:59:59.99 should do it? Seriously just aim to do your training justice, be proud of 4:00:00.01 if necessary. Enjoy it and be proud of your achievement.

• Options
    Superm@n you are absolutley right of course, but i would like to be able to say, i finished the marathon in under 4 hours, which i regard as a respectable time. 4.01 is equally respectable but it doesn't sound as good.

Most people out there couldn't finish it at all, but then we are not most people and that is what makes us competitively, obsessively bonkers!

I have been targeting this time for 4 years now, (never having run at all before that......football and running never went together for me) and it has taken me this long to get fit for it and to gradually reduce my time (and live a little too!)

• Options
    I have been feeling nervous as only managed to fit 3 long steady training runs in due to injury - a 15, 17 and 20.

Interesting to see other people's race times - my times are pretty similar to those who think they will be sub 4ing. Did a 10 miler in Dec in 1:22 and a half in Feb in 1:42.

I am sooo full of adrenalin now and hoping that will get me through. It's all in the mind - right?
  • Options
    Biking Bird - massive difference b/w your 20 mile training time and race time. That has given me much more hope - I think race conditions will have a positive effect on my time too. Fingers Tightly crossed!
  • Options
    Novie Al - will follow advice - may as well give it all I've got for 1st 20 and try for sub 4. If I'm around 3 hour mark hopefully I'll do it!

Good luck to you - you deserve well under 4. Don't worry bout struggling a bit with that 18 miler - most people I know struggled with their last long run. After the taper you'll be in fantastic form again I'm sure!
  • Options
    I'v already started my taper

Last week i did 3 runs

MON 22-mile - steady (3:40
    THU 12-Mile - Hilly (1:45)
    SUN 14-Mile - Race Pace (2:01)

Will problably only do 11 or 12 this weekend
  • Options
    I was quite tired after a quick 13 on Sunday (1:39), i will only run when i feel fresh again, probably tomorrow afternoon, i dont want to go into next week feeling run down.
  • Options
    i only have one pace and that is slow!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    Thought I'd say hello on this thread again. I did a half marathon race yesterday. I hoped for 1 hour 50 and am absolutely chuffed that I finished in 1:44:46!!! It's my first half race (done further in training). I hope this time means I may do under 4 hours at London?

Hope the training is going ok for everyone still. Jenks how are you?

Not long to go, easy couple of weeks then the big day! It's so exciting, I can't wait! I've got over the fed up of training blues and I'm really looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Good run LL....12 days to go.
  • Options
    Doing 10k club handycap 2nite but just runnin as a fast fartlak session to help with leg speed

:o)