Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options

5 miles at marathon pace +2mins. Finally got my average heart rate below 75%. Still not totally sure what I am meant to be doing re all this heart rate stuff, it felt very slow today, barely above brisk walking pace. I am planning 8 miles on Wednesday.

• Options

How did you get on Ikle?? I have my Tasmanian 10k this weekend. It's over a big bridge so unlikely to be fast..

Susan, best wishes and hope you get well/fixed soon.

Fantastic 7 day 7 marathon event Martin! How do you train for that??

Howard - I'm going to be starting this heart rate business when I get back to the UK, I might start asking for tips around then.. the only time I tried to use my Garmin heart rate monitor it told me I was dead.

• Options
    Hey JCG good to see you. Race was weird. Flat n fast. But not.... One minute slower at 48:33. More oddly still, I won a prize (bottle of wine) but didn't collect it cos didn't realise. So many vets divisions. I was first in 40 VF. There was 35, 40, 45 and 50, etc. Week before I was nearly a minute faster on a hillier course and didn't come anywhere cos vet started at 45!
  • Options
    Am thinking of doing the L2B as a 2 dayer now. Then I can do it like 1 marathon a day for two days and camp inbetween...
  • Options

Hello all [pops head up]. All looking good for Manchester IBB!

HRR I think a lot of folk  just get bored with the HR thing and just go back to training how they used toimage

Have been doing rehab exercises (and Pilates) (and circuits) for months - not really convinced knee is any better per se although I can now sort of do a one legged squat. Have been helping out with the c2k courses so this saturday I did a whole 5, 5, and 7 mins running ...

• Options
    What's wrong with your knee again, Fido? I had a weird itb flare up yesterday after 12 miles. Odd. Could it be caused or aggravated by hunger/ dehydration do you think? Half term for me this week. So novel not to be knackered...
  • Options

BAFTAs went well last night. Even got home in time for a night cap.

5 miles this morning. Quite cold to start but warmed up a bit in the sunshine. Average HR 86% of max and a new SB for 5 miles image. Persevering with the heart rate thing as I think it will help me to focus on what I am trying to achieve with each run, which is why I have dropped the pace of my LSRs down to 11min/miles (was 10).

• Options

IBB I think tiredness can affect form and that can obv have knock on effects.

• Options
    Hmm yes. I think I still need to focus on footfall not assume the shoes will do it all for me...
  • Options

Hello All

Justcoop I don't know! I have been on a couple of threads but its a bit different Not a marathon or ultra so my plan such as it is day 1 slow day 2 super slow as in a sort of recovery run ! Yes I know bonkers day 3 slow day 4 super slow. Thinking is after each of the quicker days I can think nice walk tomorrow if needed but who knows. Some have told me easier than the 100 other far harder so I will let you know at the end. O managed a 4.19 last Sunday not great but felt OK at the end which was most important

So glad Im doing it for charity (Thanks Howard & I think Ikle) sorry if missed anyone else. Thinking about my Mum a lot which is both nice/hard

Fido Hope things sort themselves soon

IKLE Looking really good for your sub 4 hope all goes well in next couple of months

• Options

8 miles today for my LSR. Increased my pace to 10.55 (5 seconds a mile faster than last week) and my resulting heart rate was 2bpm higher but still in my target zone.

• Options
    Well done Howard. JCG, how did your 10ker go? Hope you had a good one.
  • Options

Sounds interesting Martin, best of luck with it!

10kr went well Ikle, I decided not to race it, so just pootled around in 50 mins. It felt quite easy, despite all the hills and an 8 hour training week leading up to it, so I think my training must be working! It was a very pretty race, when running over the bridge there was a pretty rainbow and everything. Is your knee feeling better?

• Options
    Yeah knee is grand, thanks. Did a 15 miler which it didn't mind.... Just getting up to peak of Mara training now whilst working crazy 11 hour days. 16 miles planned this weekend then 20 the next, then Silverstone half then 20, then taper for Manchester.
  • Options

Peaky, tweaky. How exciting. I've hurt my shoulder, it's quite annoying/sore. Just developed yesterday on a day I didn't even swim. It's a great injustice. Resting today to give it a chance to calm down. Boo.

• Options

Lost my mojo at the weekend. I had a planned 3.5 mile fast run on Saturday morning but it just didn't feel right at all so cut it short and just did 2 miles. No run yesterday and tried 5 miles this morning. Much better managed SB by a couple of seconds and much relieved.

• Options
    Hope you got your mojo back, Howard? I did a 16 miler yesterday and for some reason my right knee had itb pain. Annoying out of nowhere. Am gonna rest it today and try a small run tomorrow. Harrumph. How is everybody in the running universe of sub 4? I'm working like more of a bar steward than ever. Up at 5 today, worked all day Sat, etc. Etc. Bla bla bla. V excited about Silverstone half though. And you never know, it could all come together in time for a sub 4 mara... :/
  • Options

Are you doing plenty of rolling Ikle?

The freelance world is a bit quite at the mo although there is Sport Relief just around the corner followed by the Soap Awards. I could run every day of the week but I am being a good boy and restricting myself to 20 miles over four varied runs per week. Susan would be proud.

• Options
    Sounds good Howard

Ikle glad ITB is improved. Body goes out of shape sometimes, just need rest and then fine

Martin good luck.

Any news from Susan?

Marathon for me this Sunday, but have had a mad busy week of 14-15 hours days. Will see what's possible. Then next Thursday warm weather training camp for some running & sun.
  • Options

Thx for good wishes all. Feeling very nervous now as much about the truly amazing donations as well as the running

• Options
    Ooh gosh, I hope you're right, FRC. Be brilliant, Martin 24601. I'm ' resting' today before trying a mainly trail 19 miles tomorrow.
  • Options
    Its a sign Ikle!

3:32 for me, was on for sub 3:30 comfortably till 19ish but legs & head tired and needed to walk a bit. Its so much in the head. Happy with that after tough week, only ever planned as training so no need to batter the legs..

Martin will sponsor you during.. as motivation. My friend John also running, but doing 10 mara in 10 days (yikes!) with some events around the 7? Funny though, I had to explain the concept of run / walk to him - even though he did 7 last year and destroyed by the last day. He was going to start at ~9 min miles... and is pretty fast.. so I suggest running 8:30 and walking for 30s or 2-3 of them and walking 60s. Still not sure he believed me or got it. Go figure.
  • Options

Martin There seems to be a few doing the 10 nutters!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 before and 1 after. My plan is quite simple FINISH,  But As you like these things

A target sub 5 for all
    B Target Sub 35
    C Finish

Nice run today I really think my sub 4 days may be over but no regrets. Already decided on my next target turn 50 this year so the Centurian mini grand slam (4 x 50) will be my challenge next yearimage 3 will before I turn 51 but still feels like a good 1 and I loved the SDW50 last year

• Options

Good luck Martin.

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Hello peeps! Ikle still dominating TOTP i see.

Well i have had a terrible time - did my hammy (just a grade 1) doing hill sprints and as a result some calf and achilies strain too.  Got that fixed without too much problem then got flu (not that man flu stuff) - out for nearly 3 weeks - floored.  So ive done about 60% of my plan for London and should probably pull out but its my dream to run it so sod it! Time not an issue and been back for 3 weeks steadily progressing.

I am at that stage of not enjoying all my runs though so need motivation image

hope everyone well

• Options

Go for it, Boy in a Shed!

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

hehe - i love that drawing (thanks Acoops)! When i get my tattoo it will look ace...

• Options

Shedboy, I don't think anyone enjoys all their runs! I am finding my shorter faster runs hard but I suppose that's the nature of the beast. If you run London with no time target then you will have a great day, it is just an amazing event.

• Options
    ouch, doesnt sound good Shedboy. Wife has still got sinus problems from that flu, and another friend with chest infection still returning from pre Xmas. Maybe the damp winter, even though not cold?

London is good fun, but wouldn't want to be walking big chunks. Whats the latest date you can defer London?