Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I meant 2 something, not 2. image
  • Options

Martin sub 9 would be amazing. 

2.?? Would still be incredible with walk breaks. Currently thinking 8.30/1.30 at 8.50 pace it does work out but also thinking first 7 miles in an hour which is one of my regular training runs so could work on it and help allellements of my running.

Left leg/shin definetly soft tissue injury so lucky 24 hours earlier and would not have been able to finish.

18 holes of golf today but used a buggy!

• Options
    But the walks aren't breaks. And they are brief...
  • Options

But they feel like it, It was proper walking not power walking the key for me was getting my heart rate back to normal then it felt like starting a run again. Sure its different for all but the first hour about 5,5 miles just felt so easy I almost felt like it was cheating however Im also aware that because sub 5 hours x 7 was my number 1 target it should have felt easy and I had my usual 4 hours to do the rest April 17th will be the real test

• Options

Hi all. Just been so busy (16 days without a run!) A combination of work and a mini break in Dublin with Mrs Road Runner.

Big respect Martin - awesome running (and walking).

• Options
    Hi H. Hope you had a super time. Taper time for me. And I'm covered in cats and it's the holidays. image Happy Easter, All. image
  • Options

Mojo low at the moment. I cam back from Dublin with a slight hamstring strain behind my right knee. I think it was caused by some cavalier bike session in the hotel gym. I've tried a couple of runs but it is still not right so may have to have a few more days off. I now have a cold image.

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Bum - what a great word image

Looking for some help and advice from you lovely runners!

I finally went to physio - had a scan and i have somehow been running through tearing my calf.  This has healed to "an extent (scar tissue etc)" and the only remedy to fully fix is a long rest. However,  I am running London in memory of my sons best friend who died late last year so young and tragically. When physio said thats London out I cried (haha ive done that before a few years ago too).  However, we have found a compromise where its painful at times but "manageable" and I am not doing any further damage (so far).

For last few weeks I am running just once per week and cycling 3 or 4 times.  My top distance is 22 miles with a 20, 18 and 16 in last 6 weeks (trust me some of these were painful).  When i run its uncomfortable for a few miles then eases off - but i cant walk the next day.  However ice and heat and after a few days massage have it controlled, compression etc etc.  The rest is vital.

I know its going to be sore (KT Tape is masking it) but i could do with some honest words about this.  Bizarrely lowering my pace and taking walking breaks I feel fit enough to do the marathon.

I just cant comprehend letting people down and whilst i am sore day after i do feel the runs are less painful and pain free at times. 

So physio plan is a 20 this weekend, followed by 4-5 days active rest (swimming - JCG you would be proud of me and cycling low intensity) then a few shorter runs with an 8-10 in there and get to the start line fresh but on minimal runs.

I do hope this works but i was definitely far far far better prepared for edinburgh last year.  I know i am looking for reassurance (as i am petrified) but also thoughts.

One last thing i did 22 miles on 20th March and to be honest i felt strong by the end.  I did start crying bizzarely on the last mile - i think this has taken its toll mentally.

Sorry for long post.  If i am in a lot of pain or damage it more this weekend then i will reluctantly pull out.  If not I aim to run as per above reasons.  Maybe I am plain stupid?

• Options
    If I were you I might well run too. But that could be bad advice. Bless you, Boy of Shed.
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Thanks - i am a stubborn old fool! Bring it on and pass me the ibuprofen image

• Options
    Oh no. shed boy. Honestly if you can carefully run this weekend even 18 is enough with 3 weeks to go. No real need to do 20+.

With walking and backing off your normal paces, assuming it doesn't get worse then go for it. Might be 4-5 hours but you'll finish.

Martin can advise better on the 8/2 and other ratios

And remember less is more, ditch most runs for bike.
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Thanks all.  Been into physio again.  Careful run of 16-18 and not on the hills! OR 80 miles on bike is her advice - the latter being her preference.

So I will run and see how it goes (I am a physios worst nightmare hahaha!)

Then no more running until 24th which will be weird.

• Options
    Thats the spirit shedboy. What about aqua jogging? That could give you some movement without weight and impact. Some places do it with vests on.

All about the positive mental attitude.

I'm just working out my run walk times for Saturday's ultra. Sub 9 is the new sub 4. Sort of.
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

I like it FRC - sub 9 (ouch). thought about aqua jogging and will call local pool folk thats a damn good idea.

Still getting sub 4 mind youimage

• Options
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Ja, sie wird Ikle! Ich werde an dich denken am 10 April image 

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

No more runs until London thats the verdict.  I am on for a 5 hour + cycle over the weekend (and then a pub lunch!!!).  

I will let you know if one run in 4 weeks works for a marathon.  I've got miles in the bank since October, will keep some fitness up on bike (hard fast and flat intervals so there will be no slacking from the boy in the shed) and have decided to just be excited by the whole weekend and event. 

Go Ikle - sub 4 and Manchester is yours!

• Options
    Ikle will be fine, all the hard work is done. I'm there at Manchester also, can drop back but not necessary. Sub 4 is in the bag.

Shedboy, think you have a good chance at vlm doing this, but aiming for sub 4 is silly. Good example, one of the guys doing Comrades last year was injured for 6 weeks before but still tried to run it- at his original target pace, with wife, family waiting for him at checkpoints to cheer him on. Even ran with me for 5-10 minutes. He didn't drop back and go sub11.. end result? ?Not good. Roughly sub 4, aiming for it, dangerous. Just run and enjoy atmosphere.

All ready for the ultra tomorrow. (Glasgow to Edinburgh Shedboy, forgot, are you near?). Feeling good, training has been ideal last 3-4 weeks so.... image
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

I was aiming for 3:10 and well on course for that until this.  I will see how i feel and go out slow and enjoy it.  Yeah i live in Strathaven - you?

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

good luck FRC.

TOTP - ya beezer!!!image

Oh and a change of plan again - I am running tomorrow round strathclyde park and trails - its flat and if i only do a few miles it will be good to see how running on flat helps as I've done all of my training on hills.

• Options
    Good advice from FRC as per! Hope ultra goes well. I felt a bit bionic today in 5.6 mile taper run. It's kicking in! Taper madness. image TOYP! image I'm just a little anxious about my knee. There's no way I can run thru that pain if it surfaces. And that bit is not mental, it's physical.
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Hey Ikle is this related to the old ITB issue?  fingers crossed for you!

• Options
    Cough, pain killers Ikle.

Shedboy, regardless of normal speed & time, you're not going to be race fit. Very easy to surge off at silly pace for first 6-8 miles then bang. Race over. That guy at Comrades didn't even make the first checkpoint at Comrades, where his family were., less than 13 miles. He walked from 10m to there.

Off for zzzz. Seeing family up here Sheddie, NW normally.
  • Options
    They don't touch it.
  • Options

Good luck martin.

Shedboy agree with all said. Running slower is going to help based on my experience I would try 8/2 2 minutes is long enough to recover HR but not to long to allow things to start seizing up or the adrenaline to stop. Biggest issue may be space to walk at the start so maybe run for furst hour slowly

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Good luck today FRC! Thanks Martin - agree and that all sounds sensible.  Will practice a walk run today although starting to run again was always my biggest challenge!! 

• Options
    My training plan has me running the day before the marathon for 20 minutes. I'm So not doing that...
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

no no no - maybe a wee walk but a 20 min run.  In interest i did my last run on the thursday before marathon on sunday last time - 30 mins easy easy.  worked well for me but i did walk the friday and saturday and stretch well