Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Never been so nervous before a training run in my life.  I am petrified we have this wrong and my calf goes.  Hey ho - got my marathon shirt and socks through (exciting) so in full marathon day gear today.  Also getting my marathon haircut afterwards (hahaha)

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

FRC - i hope you are having a wonderful post run drink in Edinburgh!!!

Had worst run of my life today but did 21. So thats good!!

• Options
    Well done, SB.
  • Options
    Ouch, Shedboy. But it's done so you can rest.

Ikle, neurofen should help. But taken from mile 10-12 and then 16-18. Fido may be the thread expert on this. My lips are sealed.

Very good but not great day. Ran sub 4 comfortably for first 26.2 in 3:55, then legs tired from 34-35 miles. Finished in 9:14 when even with a fade, thought was on for 8:40., but not to be. Tough flat terrain, relentless and no support, legs just maxed out. All good though for next 4-8 weeks when I will taper.
  • Options

Well done martin. If I ever did 100 agaon abd I wont it would not be tp100 for exactly same reasons you say give me some hills!

Well done shedboy

• Options
    I can't decide which shoes to wear for mara. Worn in trail Hokas even tho it's road, cos I've always run well in them including fastest marathon to date. Or Hoka road shoes, newish (autocorrect tried to change that to Jewish!!) neutral and light. I'm not officially neutral I overpronate, but too late to go down that road now. Trail shoes on about 400 miles, road shoes on about 100. I did Silverstone half in these... Decisions, decisions!!
  • Options
    Thanks for advice, FRC. Well done on ultra amazing time. I'm still considering the London to Brighton but in 2 days...
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Wow FRC thats amazing and ok harder 2nd half but well done.  Thanks for advice i haven't trained on the flat at all until yesterday.  2 things i started off comfortably like a bat out of hell thinking flats easy, after 12 miles i tired second it knocked the hell out of my legs - i will never hate the hills again bring them back.

Not as sore today as i thought in fact its my knee and thats never been sore before - i will put that down to the start of taper madness.

Martin - thanks agree on aforementioned hills haha.

Ikle - I would use the road shoes but got a feeling you love the trail ones and would like one last fling with them - you know the answer.

• Options
    Would be the Hoka road shoes for me, fast and light. They're going to be worth a few seconds and not as clumpy.

Legs all fine, sore back from fancy salomon vest pack though.

Think the nutrition in this race is key as they only provide water and electrolyte, plus bits of cake, chocolate and jelly babies. The impact of the surface makes dry dense foods really tough on your body so doesn't feel nice, easy to get sick. I had isotonic gels which were fine up to 35-40 miles, but as comrades could grab some coke or cream soda for extra energy. Oh for some coke at 42 miles.

I had 2 hrs 13-17 to do 13 miles...normally simple task but nope. Had some hi5 powder with me, should've used it.. Or mixed a gel with water. Silly didn't think of that.

Run walk was great to 30 (21:30/1:30) okay till 40ish but had to really cut the time down later on. Maybe not a long enough walk to recover plus the energy needed.

Still great signs of fitness for future races. And maybe a top 20 finish out of 150 runners!
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Brilliant FRC sounds tough but an amazing achievement
  • Options
    Ok road shoes it is. Well done FRC, sounds Epic.
  • Options
    As FRC would say, 'it's a sign' ... image TOTP! Now I just need to survive a couple of days of surfing!! image
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

I'm back on this forum as Ikle instructed me image haha was trying to get someone to tell me what i wanted to hear rather than the sensible approaches that I will promise to follow.  I have now arranged to take a colleague round and will be starting in a slow pen (if i can move back).

Sore knee this morning, ultrasound treatment later.

Ikle - i thought you were just going to spend a couple of days on internet but realise its actual surfing - enjoy and countdown well and truly on.  

• Options

Well done FRC! I might be moving up your side of the country by the end of this year - in due course I'll have to get the low down on clubs and things.

Good idea on road shoes Ikle. I'm super excited for you - will they have a tracker this year? I may live voyeuristically through you.

What does ultrasound treatment involve Sheddy?

I'm half way through my Ironman training plan (wk 15 of 30) and still loving it. Runs are slowly getting longer, up to 10miles-ish on the weekend, but always prefixed with a cycle of some sort. I'm starting to feel super strong and having to resist the temptation to enter 10k races to see how fast I can run..   

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Well done JCG sounds amazing - friend of mine doing Barcelona in October.  Ultrasound involved a week machine over scar tissue or injury that breaks the bad boys down.  Feels good but can lead you into a false sense of security as it doesnt actually heal you but gets rid of pain and does speed it up.  No substitute for REST I am told (booo)

• Options
    Heh heh. Hi JCG. I'm doing a 10k at the end of this month. Can't remember which one... Glad the training is going well. You sure you don't want to do TR24?!!image
  • Options
    I did a record 10minute surf today. Not the best. Will try again tomorrow.
  • Options
    I'm so so so excited about the marathon. image just hope my knee doesn't misbehave... Hopefully it will have finished before my knee notices...
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Im excited for you Ikle! keep the positive thoughts and forget the knee it doesn't care this timeimage enjoy surf tomorrow

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

On the shoe theme - about 350+miles into my shoes or i can use my lighter ones (tighter too and not as comfy) with 200 on the clock. Is this the start of taper madness - I'm talking about shoes!!!!!???? image

oh leg much better after icing last night - might go an squeeze in a last minute 18 miler ...........

....... image

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Ikle - whats the TR24? and what shoes should i wear? image

• Options

TR24 is a 24 hour relay race. FRC and Ikle are now regulars and I made a one off appearance the year before last. It is a fantastic event, and Ikle knows I would looooove to do it again, but alas, it falls on the same day as the Outlaw.

Go for the comfy shoes Shedboy image 

Hope all the knees and other bits and bobs get well soon/behave!

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Is near 400 miles on my comfy shoes too much - quite a bit of wear on them now on midfoot and heel -  ive looked and a lot of folk saying i should have bought a new pair a few weeks back -- poor planning probably but i could buy an identical pair on sale now but likely to only get one or two runs max out of them.  

I am now overthinking things overly late haha

• Options
    This is definitely taper madness. Unless you think they're causing your form to deteriorate keep them! Get yourself a new pair as a post-race treat image
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

image step away from the Internet Shedboy! yup i know but i thought id panic buy new shoes socks shorts and vest at expo and see how it goes the next day image might even try entirely new gels too and stretching before warming up - that type of madness thing.

Taper Madness I am so glad you have arrived.

I might clean the dirt off them first though hehe

• Options

Well done FRC awesome running as usual.

Shedboy - I would also suggest the road shoes and no sub-4 attempt!

Ikle, good luck for the weekend. Do you do knee dips? I incorporate them as part of my warm down/ stretching routine and it helps keep my runner's knee at bay.

5 slow miles for me yesterday. All felt good and the cold has gone. Happy days.

• Options

Thanks, Howard. Good to see ya. Yes, JCG, I do remember now. =) I can't remember all your questions, Shedboy, there's too many. Yes, yes and probably. =) Good night. Did a cheeky 3 mile today and feel inordinately tired on it, along with another crap less than one hour's actual surfing in messy too big waves. Not my finest hour. Bring on Sunday. Although that is also the last day of my holidays. Moop.

• Options
    Ha, didn't feel awesome second half Howard, very much a heart of darkness type run, hundred plus runners all minutes apart, zero to team up with. Very glad I had headphones on for last 3-4 hours, would've gone mad otherwise. Maybe more later.

Think both Ikle and Shedboy have taper madness. Keep it simple. Relax. chill.

Ikle, will see you hopefully Sunday.

JCG, good to see you. Any idea where you might be NW? Lots of clubs.

In other news, Kilian Jornet and Ellie Greenwood are running with me on Thursday. possibly its the other way around...image . plus a talk before organised by Salomon.
  • Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Im a lot calmer today.  I did tell one of the dogs off for jumping up saying hello with the taper madness words of "watch my leg!" - I don't think it understood

FRC - real test for you.  Did the run go through the delights of airdrie, caldercruix, west lothian etc? thats enough to test any man and is actually feat to simply survive the news.

....now where did i put my garmin....

• Options

Hi! Sorry I bounced in, said hello, then dropped off the radar for a bit!  Sorry to hear about the pre-marathon injuries above. I'm also in that camp now.  Guess was a bit too much to make it to the start line without something cropping up!

So, I'm now in a quandary - some good advice mentioned up thread was to just enjoy London - there is no marathon quite like it and instead of pushing myself for sub 4 just take the day in and have a good time.  That's if I make it to the start line ..... I'm seeing a podiatrist tomorrow as something just isn't right with my Achilles (or that area). Started as a dull ache last Weds night, ran 17 miles on Friday it felt fine, had massage on it (super painful!). No swelling, can weight bear, do heel drops/calf raises fine.  Get the odd mild shooting pain if I am sitting with foot bend down for a long time and then raise my toes up to my knee. So will need to see what he says. I don't want to blow my whole summer of triathlons and half marathons!

But deferring is also tricky as I've raised £1000 for MND Scotland (although have a ballot place for London).  I haven't booked my hotels yet as I've got THE FEAR I won't make the start line.

I think in all honesty my problem is that I'm too competitive with myself to take it easy on the day and know how disappointed I will be if I don't do well.  I need to learn to deal with these things ....  it's weird, I don't care how slow I am at swimming/biking in the triathlons as I know these aren't my best discipline but with running I feel like I have to do well. . Does that make sense?

Along with not running also comes having to keep the diet in check which is hard. Don't want to turn into a weeble image

Sorry for waffle and hope everyone is doing well!