Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    Much better reasoning there BP methinks! Don't forget to smile now - we have a lot to live up to with bacon roll and hollywood...
  • Options
    BNTM/Hollywood/SeaBiscuit... Only bought the Kayanos about 6weeks ago - can't really justify ANOTHER pair yet!
    Mental training = VERY hard. I want to run.. but it hurts too much!!!! NOt running is making me feel panicky!
    PC and Saffie - don't encourage me! I am reluctant enough about heels at the best of times!
  • Options
    i've got a stinking cold that just wont shift and now it's gone to my chest - i don't know what to do as this weekend and next weekend are probably the two most imporatant long sessions of my training.

Do i run (or try), or do i miss my long run which completely messes up my physical and mental preparation ?
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I'd love to join the group for london, but first can i tell you about something i did last week.

I just wanted to let you know that I had that unfortunate experience of running 26 miles with a thermometer up my bum last Friday, when I ran a marathon on a treadmill in a freezer set to -26 degrees. The doc told me they needed to monitor my core body temperature but I didn't expect this. It wasn't too bad. – check out www.michelobultra.co.uk

I completed the freezer marathon in a time of 4 hours and 8 minutes. Things went really well and I am quietly confident for the North Pole Marathon that is now under a month away! The fact that I am typing this means that I didn’t lose any fingers to frostbite and the rest of me is fine too, apart from a little bit of cold damage on one of my toes which should be okay in a few days.

My kit worked well and my legs felt good. The cold wasn’t really an issue as I generated lots of body heat. In fact the most uncomfortable part of the run was the probe they used to measure my core body temperature. (You can use your imagination to figure out how I carried it!!) Running with that for 4 hours is an experience I won’t want to repeat in a hurry!

The run was a great learning experience and when things started to get tough at mile 22, I drew on all your kind words of support and encouragement to help get me through. Thank you.

For those of you who missed it on the TV, you can see lots of footage on the website; www.michelobultra.co.uk.

It is also the last week of voting (voting closes at 12:00 Midnight, Sunday 15th). If you can please put in a final big push and keep voting for me whilst there it would be top! (See instructions below).

Take care and have great week,

Noel.

P.S. If any of you did manage to record it, I would love a copy of the tape, I haven’t seen anything yet!
  • Options
    Oh no! With all these extra letters (and words) being added to my name I can feel myself slowing down again...

Also, it seems that the t-shirt printing costs are calculated per letter - so "B" might be a better name to go for - or maybe I can go for some symbol route - or can I make an artistic statement by having no name?

Saffie - good luck with your 20, but I've decided not to go for a pre-Kingston 4 mile run - I want to be at the 8.2 mile start in order to shout at my girlfriend (hopefully in an encouraging way)
  • Options
    Afternoon

Bacon roll lovely pics you chaps are very handsome:-)
    Mine is not there yet I guess I broke the camera!!!

BNTM
    How am I doing for today?? back still aching but feeling better than it was hopefully I will be out there tomorrow!!

Good luck to all you guys for your race on Sunday you have a lot to live up to:-)

I have done 3 hours of your work to day hope it is enough:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Help - I think I'm going (more) insane! Did anyone else start hallucinating about someone trying to win 50000 pounds by running 4 hours with a probe up their jacksie?
  • Options
    Yep - and I've finally worked out what the ads are all about. Madness.
  • Options
    OK - I have figured it out as well. Noel has posted loads of the same message on loads of other forums just to win votes. Keep the thermometer Noel!
  • Options
    Adam - Don't run if you're sick. It will only cause more problems....Get well soon, don't come back too quickly and do what you can with the running schedule to fit your long runs in, but DON'T run when sick. It's just not worth it.
  • Options
    hear hear Percy. Adam - running long distances when you have a cold can put your heart under serious strain and you can do yourself long term harm. No marathon is worth risking that for. Best you can do is dose up and rest. All the best - don't rush back either - it isn't worth it.
  • Options
    bad luck adam,try and stay positive dose yourself up and DONT PANIC there's time for a few long ones yet.that's what i keep telling my self anyway.am going to jump from last weeks 13 to a 30 this week so will probably injure myself beyond redemption,especially as i just did the hill stuff-tried the yassos but couldn't do more than 3-and my legs seem to have turned into goo....
  • Options
    Hold on you can not go from a 13 miler to a 30 miler you will do yourself injury!!!!

You may not make London don't be silly!!

FLM is the goal you dont want to be watching in from your sick bed!!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    adam - from my experience last weekend you can run if you've got a cold - I choose to run because I'd already missed my only other race this year through illness (and cos my girlfriend's parents got on my goat by making some comment about me not really being ill) - but if you don't have to run then don't...

noel - I think your challenge is better than any of the others - good luck! But I'm afraid I have this thing about girls dressing up as roller-blading animals (we all have, don't we?) so my vote is for Anne - sorry!

WP - thanks for the inspiration - I was sitting there at my desk making excuses for not running this lunchtime. Your post made me go out to the track after all... And today's not-quite-Yasso times are: 3:25, 3:21, 3:19, 3:21, 3:23, 3:20, 3:19, 3:19, 3:15, 3:07 - you can have them all - if it wasn't for your post I think I'd have gone down the pub!
  • Options
    Hollywood & WP - fine set of Yasso's

I tink Alex meant weekly mileage ;-)
  • Options
    Phew! The idea of doing 30m for training at one go was making my mind boggle!
  • Options
    30 was a fat fingered typing error,very irritating but i'm going to aim for a 20...
    slightly depends on how much time i have....
  • Options
    ok guys - advice is strong enough that i think i'd better take it - i've been working hard towards this and making sacrifices in order to achieve the best ultimate result so i'm really p1ssed off and restless. I don't care so much when i can't run cos my legs are tired as that's normal - but these colds can hang about for a couple of weeks - I'M PANICING.

I know supposed to enjoy the day and all that as a priority, but i've not run through 4 pairs of running shoes over the passed year to wave like the queen as i trot by.
  • Options
    Sorry for blasting your thread as well as the others. And you are roght it is to win votes, but for a good reason. I am running in the north pole to raise money for the charity Children with Luekeamia. - Have raise £6500 pounds so far. Should i win this i will be dontaining a lrge chunk of this to the charity aswell and using the rest to pay for my run at the south pole where i can raise more money for the charity too.
  • Options
    I've taken a peak at the 3:45 and 3:30 threads... [I can dream, can't I?]

One thing the 3:30 guys have done is a little who's who - a big list of everyone on the thread and what their PBs are. Anyone else interested in the same sort of thing here? I'll start it off and see where it goes if anywhere...

name - half PB - marathon PB
    BNTM - 1:38:09 (Reading 2004) - 4:20 (FLM 1997)

Also Feel free to add more columns if you want to!
  • Options
    adam,you will be fine on the day,not only have you put in loads of training but you are a competitive sob...but meantime,lots of vitamins,rest, eat properly and sleep.and take drugs.and rest some more.then it'll be three days off not a week!
  • Options
    BNTM - v.good half, not so good FLM ?

BNTM - 1:38:09 (Reading 2004)4:20(FLM 1997)
    Adam House - 1:46 (on me tod) FLM 2004 ?
  • Options
    Alex P 1:57.22 Imber 2003 -4.27 FLM 2003
  • Options
    Sounds good to me....

Bacon Roll 1:38:27 (Reading 2004)- 4:00:27 (FLM 2003)
  • Options
    adanm you are quicker typist as well as quicker runner...
    BNTM - 1:38:09 (Reading 2004)4:20(FLM 1997)
    Adam House - 1:46 (on me tod) FLM 2004
  • Options
    Sorry mistake on marathon time..... Have I mentioned that I missed 4 hours by 37 seconds????

Bacon Roll 1:38:27 (Reading 2004)- 4:00:37 (FLM 2003)
  • Options
    grrrrr i'll try again
  • Options

Kinsey - 1.49 Reading, no M
  • Options
    aaaaargh
    Bacon Roll 1:38:27 (Reading 2004)- 4:00:37 (FLM 2003)
    any more?