Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Comments

• Options
    Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    I think I need a USB turntable so I can convert my vinyl and throw out the massive old stereo that takes up half of my living room. The CD player is broken on it anyway. I only keep it for the turntable and cassette decks.
    I bought one a couple of years ago when they first came out as I have thousands of records, a lot of which are fairly obscure things I bought after hearing John Peel play them. Trouble is I've never found the time to start digitising them, and my desk is usually so covered in junk that there's nowhere flat to put the deck anyway image

Essentially it is a fantastic bit of kit, but you are right to a degree BOTF (did you get any Napalm Death, one of JP favourites?), there is the time element involved. You literally have to play the whole track from beginning to end to record it. Now if they could do a high speed version…

That's a lot of jelly babies Rennur - do you not use the gels? I took some the Sainsbury's own brand sports drink at Chester that they were handing out at the stations and couldn't believe how sweet it was. Struggled to drink 500ml!

• Options
    My old turntable gave up the ghost last year (or was it 2010?), so I have loads of vinyl I can't listen to either. I don't think it would interest John Peel though, knowing how much he loved prog rock image
    Nail that MP tonight KR!
  • Options

KR, I've avoided gels in the past due to early bad experiences. I have been road-testing a few different ones recently, and they aren't universally awful. (Nor cheap, but neither is a big race...)

• Options
    OMG, I think I eat three times as much as you do KR!
  • Options

Speedy, if you don't mind a typical day's food for you would be interesting to see… or anone lese for that matter!

Schedule tonight was for 6 miles at marathon pace (arunf 7.30 pace). It was a bit cooler tonight so I did a 1 mile warm up and a bit of a warm down as well, so 7.7 miles including warm up & warm down:

Warm up mile 8.33 pace & 137 bpm then 6 miles @ av pace of 7.19 & 161 bpm and warm down 0.7 mile was 8.19 & 153 bpm.

Splits worked out at:
    7.16 - 151 bpm
    7.22 - 156 bpm
    7.18 - 167 bpm
    7.16 - 166 bpm
    7.28 - 163 bpm
    7.16 - 164 bpm

Steve, bit of a bad night with the pace judgement and a bit too fast I think. I didn't hit the 7.25 pace I was hoping for! The route was undualting in parts so it was a bit difficult to judge the pace as I was working it on the uphills and trying to take it easier on the downhill bits.

• Options
    hope all gose well
  • Options
    KR - it's still early days and as you say the undulating course wouldn't help. Did it feel like a MP effort or a bit tougher? btw - arunf?
  • Options

KR - I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about those splits.  On undulating routes it is tough to keep the speed the same without changing the effort.  Not sure whether Steve would prescribe "MP effort" or "MP speed" at this stage?  HR looks good for the splits.

On the food subject I'll usually eat (in this order)

Large bowl of cornflakes (or 4x toast if hard session in evening)
    Handful of nuts
    1 x apple
    1 x yoghurt drink
    1 x banana
    bagel with turkey and stilton (lunch)
    1 x boiled egg
    Handful of nuts
    1 x apple
    cereal bar (Nature Valley)
    1 x banana
    Evening dinner (meat with pasta/potatoes/rice/couscous + veg)
    Small bit of chocolate as a treat

I'll also have a bag of crisps on a Friday to help(?) with salt for long run on Saturday.

• Options

A typcical week day food & drink for me:
    Post run:
    Banana or slice of granary bread with honey.
    Large beaker of water.
    Breakfast:
    Extra-large bowl of porridge and raisins.
    2 slices of bread or toast with marmalade / honey.
    Large beaker of water.
    At work:
    Sandwiches (tuna, egg or ham)
    2 slices of malt-loaf
    4 portions of fruit
    Far too much cofffee (decaff)
    6 glasses of water.
    Evening meal & supper:
    Meat or fish, potatoes, rice or pasta, veg.
    Yoghurt
    Cup of tea.
    Cheese and crackers, crumpet or tea-cake.
    One final coffee.

• Options

Food needs will vary greatly from person to person. My wife and I eat pretty much the same, for years I have been setting out two meals for dinner and they are the same size. I have skimmed milk but she has semi so that means I have a few less calories but that is about it. The two differences are I run 6 times a week, she doesn't, and she has a high metabolic rate and I don't.

Ruth can best explain it, but  if I was to lead her lifestyle and eat like her, I would be seriously overweight. In fact a few years ago when I was running much less, a couple of times a week, I was 13 stone and gaining. I am now back to 10.5 and happy.

• Options

Thanks for dropping in Toby - hope the training is going well for Brighton, will have to revisit the thread soon and sya hi to everyone. That reminds me - I must defer my place to next year and cancel my hotel!

Interesting diets & menus there Martin & Gul. I think when you get into running like people on here your diet is generally good (which I think mine is). What interests me more is the volume & quantities of certain foods in general & in particular the week leading up to marathon race day as part of the carb loading. Like Speedy says, she eats lots more than me, but I guess everyone is different. And like PMJ suggests, metabolic rate is a factor too - no two people are the same.

Just back from my first proper visit to the gym in about 8 years and boy am I a lightweight when it comes to weights! I wasn't putting on particularly heavy weights, but concentrating more on repetitions - hopefully it will get easier! I am booked in with an instructor next Friday to come up with a core programme.

Good luck to anyone doing a race this weekend.

• Options

KR - On Monday I'll try to remember to email you my "carb-loading menu" that I drew up pre-2011 VLM.  I think you may explode if you eat all of it but it gives you some ideas and it includes the amount of carbs in each food.  May also be worth running it by Ruth first as well image

Edited to say the gym does get easier with time!!!!

• Options

KR - splits are not too bad and heart rate looks encouragingly consistent. One thing which may help on sessions like this and speedwork is to try and start a bit slower than suggested average pace. Ie I would have aimed for 7:40 for first mile and then if I was say 7:35 would then gradually up the pace - likewise first mile on mile reps I would have aimed for say 6:20 and then upped after that.

30-35 years ago I always tried to do the full carbo depletion/loading diet but now don't do too much differently other than a higher precentage of carbs in last 3 days. 

• Options
    A typical weekday this week (I'm almost embarrassed to post it!)

50g Fruit and Fibre (dry) and black tea
    Graze box portion (dried fruit and/or nuts)
    Banana and black coffee with 1.5 sugars
    2 Oatcakes
    Homemade sweet and sour chicken and peppers with full sachet of Uncle Ben's Microwave rice, diet coke and black tea
    Apple
    4 After Eights
    Homemade date slice (rice crispies, dates, cherries, dairy free spread and sugar topped with dairy free chocolate)
    1 Pfeffernuss (German gingerbread biscuit)
    Nature Valley Granola bar and black coffee with 1.5 sugars
    500ml Lucozade with Cherry Active post training
    Large bowl porridge with oat milk, glass fruit juice, glass squash
    Slice of toast

Plus maybe 500 - 700ml water during the day

And already I'm losing weight on less than 60 miles per week. Once I get up to 70+ I'll have to start drinking Lucozade instead of water during the day to avoid dropping too low.

• Options
    /members/images/77921/Gallery/records.jpg

This is the extent of my House music record collection, probably about 1200+ 12" 's & albums. So far I have converted just one and half of those square blocks into MP3's. I've got a fair way to go, but it beats watching TV some nights! Currently recording Armand Van Helden “You don't know me” at the moment. A good song back in 1999 and still sounds good now!

You shouldn't be embarrassed about that Speedy - it looks healthy to me! Is that German gingerbread the one from, Aldi, if so I  think I've had something similar from there? image 

Steve, does the carb depletion & loading work? Out of interest, what sort of timescale did you deplete & carbo load? Sounds liek something that takes a bit of practice to get right.

• Options
    Asda actually, they had bags of them reduced to 50p just after Christmas. I've never seen pfeffernüsse in Aldi. They have Contessa, which are similar tasting but about twice the size of a pfeffernuss and half coated in chocolate whereas the pfeffernuss has a kind of glaze.

On weekends I have porridge for breakfast and two 'main' meals (plus a fair few snacks). Usually fish, carbs and veg for lunch then dinner will be the large vat of stir fry or whatever that I'll end up eating all week at work. This week I've been alternating between Sunday's sweet and sour and Saturday's slow cooker sausage casserole. Planning a moroccan thing with turkey this weekend, and possibly gnocchi.

On rest days I eat even more. Today was a rest day. I think it's a boredom thing!
  • Options

re depletion diet - not sure if it is worth the risk - the idea is you run a long run 7 days out then cut carbs significantly and focus on proteins and then the last 3 days switch almost exclusively to carbs. The idea is while the body is being starved of carbs , the body produces its own glycogen and then gets a double dose from the extra carbs. Problem is you can get really run down in the protein stage and many think it is best to cut the depletion phase and just focus on the loading part.

When I tried it, I can't say with certainty that it worked for me and most of my stronger marathons of recent years have just been done  with good training and pacing and extra carbs pre race and then using gels. 

• Options

We tend to “go large” on the cooking portions too at the weekend, doing double meals like Chilli con carne & Spag bol etc. Must retry porridge again and find something nicer to mix in with it to make it more interesting.

Steve - it has always seemed an extreme thing to do and one that when you have done all the training you can to get the results you want, is the next step to try to get a better time, but probably at a cost of getting ill like you say.

Got my race number through today for the Village Bakery Half marathon in Wrexham on 19th February. Not done this one before and it's “over the border” near where my brother lives, so I thought I would give it a go. Supposed to be a flat course, so looking forward to that image.

So races planned so far  in Februray are:
    12th Feb - Desford 10k (Winter road running club league race, Leciestershire)
    19th Feb - Village Bakery Half Marathon, Wrexham

• Options
    Forgot to ask Steve, but how many gels would you go through in a marathon and when do you take your first one? Aldo, do you take one prior to the start of the race?
  • Options
    I tend to prefer one gel at the start, one around 10 miles and one around 15 miles, I also tend to have one around 20 miles but not sure that one has the same effect
  • Options
    Speedy - that diet looks pretty sensible to me. And don't forget you're doing not far short of three times my weekly mileage at the moment. On top of what I eat at the moment, I used to have a portiion of tuna and pasta to snack on in the afternoon during mara training.
    KR - I'm not a gym type either. Interesting to see how you get on.
  • Options

KR, my gym tip is to treat lunges with care. I had a session with a guy who sort of ran a bit and he reckoned I had limited mobility, which is right, and if I did lunges it would increase my mobility and also help with hurdles. His session for me was therefore about a solid half hour of varying static and travelling lunges, and 20 minutes in I got major muscles cramps and it tool about two weeks to recover from the 20 minutes.

Probably applies to all things: build up gently. 

• Options

PMJ - will see what the instructor has in mind for the core work.

I did my local Parkrun today (braunstone) which was a bit of a last minute thing. I didn't get up till 7.50 and had breakfast with my 2 boys and was toying with just doing a steady 5 miler. I quickly worked out I just had enough time to get changed, drive there and do a bit of a warm up. The de-icing the car took a bit of time, but I managed to get there just in time to do a 0.65 mile warm up

Managed to do the Parkrun in 18.53 which I was pleased with, and think I came 11th - so not too bad.
    Will post some stats later when I've got my Garmin near by. 

• Options

KR - if its any use here is my current exercise routine - I do Session 1 on Tues/Thurs and Session 2 on wed/frid all after the run on the day - do it in the garage rather than the gym;

Session 1 - bridge/side plank/swiss ball squats/plank with arm raises/quad hip extension/pendulum/single leg raises(calves)

Session 2 - superman/forward lunges/plank with leg raises/reverse step-ups/metronome/single leg squats

Most of these are from RW publications or research into best exercises to support running.  They are mostly for core/hip/upper leg and calves.  I add hand weights to some of these (e.g lunges) when I want to advance the exercise.

Wholeheartedley agree with PMJ that you must be very, very careful when starting this type of thing even though it may at the start seem easy cos you can get very stiff and sore if you don't start slow and gradualy build up.  My suggestion would be to start with a really low number of each exercise you choose to do, see the day or two after if there are any muscle ill-affects, then build up the number accordingly.  You may have to curb your own and the instructors enthusiasm to do too much too soon.

• Options
    agree safety first and I think best to keep both weight down and the number of reps down until the body adjusts Personally I average around 15 reps per exercise or machine and try to use around 15 machines or different reps.
  • Options

Results are up for my Parkrun:

18.53 & 11th place

mile 1 - 5.57, 169 bpm
    mile 2 - 6.19, 179 bpm
    mile 3 - 6.12, 181 bpm
    0.1 mile - 5.56, 184 bpm

warm up - 0.75 mile @ 9.02 pace, 144 bpm
    warm down - 1.57 miles @ 8.09 pace, 150 bpm

Thanks for the core workouts Oscar, will see what the gym instructor suggests as it maybe similar stuff. I tend to do the plank & bridge quite often and usually after a run. Was just planning strength work on the weights at the gym Steve and nothing too heavy, so more about using the lighter weights. I'll probably only be going once a week, but will take it easy.

Just going to plan my route for my 15 miler in the morning. It was -4 this morning when I went to the Parkrun and clear blue skies - perfect weather for a winter morning.

• Options

It was jolly cold this morning - was in a real kurfuffle about what to wear! Have been in short sleeves until today. Longer, thicker top, hadband and a gilet! My running chum had 2 pairs of gloves a gillet and a jacket! But we don't run very fast!

I have been known to wear my knee length Northpace puffa to warm up in ... what a whimp!

Have a great run tomorrow - did 12 this morning and it was smashing!image

Love the fact that everyone one on here is trying not to loose weight and I want to shift it!

• Options
    knight rider

Bad night for eating Ruth as I didn't have my dinner till about 10pm! We had to go out at 6.00pm tonight which then turned out to be 6.30, then didn't get home till 7.30 ish. Went out for my run just after 8 and then by the time I got home and had a shower and cooked my dinner it was nearly 10 when I ate it. Rest of the day was fine and this probably sums up my eating for a normal day:

Breakfast - bowl of muesli & crunch with skimmed milk
    Lunch - chicken sandwiches, penguin biscuit bar, handful of grapes
    Afternoon snack: satsuma, apple, 3 slices of malt loaf
    3 x cups of green tea & 1 x normal tea throughout the day
    Dinner: Sweet & sour pork stir fry with basmati rice

Alos have the odd yougert druing the day (when I remember they are in the fridge) and also have a packet of mixed fruit & nuts in my drawer to ward off chocolate temptation!

This is not too bad. Do you use wholegrain bread? Try and eat 2-3 hours before you run and when marathon training I would say it is best to eat as soon as possible after when the runs are hard or long or both but if you where having an easy recovery run or rest day then actually leaving it a few hours shoudl not matter as long as you eat sufficent within the next 24-48 hours. The eat as soon as you can after training is critical when training twice per day or when training hard or intense daily.
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

re depletion diet - not sure if it is worth the risk - the idea is you run a long run 7 days out then cut carbs significantly and focus on proteins and then the last 3 days switch almost exclusively to carbs. The idea is while the body is being starved of carbs , the body produces its own glycogen and then gets a double dose from the extra carbs. Problem is you can get really run down in the protein stage and many think it is best to cut the depletion phase and just focus on the loading part.

When I tried it, I can't say with certainty that it worked for me and most of my stronger marathons of recent years have just been done  with good training and pacing and extra carbs pre race and then using gels. 

The depletion of carb phase is not recommnended at all anymore as now thought to be detrimental (you body loses the ability to uptake the carbs in the carb phase of the loading after you have excluded them or eaten very little of them for a few days or in a more techical jargen you down regulated the enzymes that uptake the carbs) this is not what you want a few days before a marathon! The other disavantages of doing the depletion phase is that you do really need to do hard sessions in the 7 days before a marathon to deplete your stores and this is not a good taper and it can make you very moody! So the advice is taper well and eat sufficent carbs in the 3 days before the event. For many runners  already eating a very high carb diet this can often just be a case of eat as if you were training in the three days before. For others that know they may eat more fat or protein that could displace the carbs in there diet it may mean a more focus approach. If you are diabetic (esp. if poorly controlled) reading this you may want to get some advice as may not be appropriate.
  • Options
    Martin H wrote (see)

KR - I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about those splits.  On undulating routes it is tough to keep the speed the same without changing the effort.  Not sure whether Steve would prescribe "MP effort" or "MP speed" at this stage?  HR looks good for the splits.

On the food subject I'll usually eat (in this order)

Large bowl of cornflakes (or 4x toast if hard session in evening)
    Handful of nuts
    1 x apple
    1 x yoghurt drink
    1 x banana
    bagel with turkey and stilton (lunch)
    1 x boiled egg
    Handful of nuts
    1 x apple
    cereal bar (Nature Valley)
    1 x banana
    Evening dinner (meat with pasta/potatoes/rice/couscous + veg)
    Small bit of chocolate as a treat

I'll also have a bag of crisps on a Friday to help(?) with salt for long run on Saturday.

Unfortunately the salty crisps is not required!  More variety of fruit would increase the range of vitamins and in your diet... the more colours of fruit and veg the better!
  • Options

Thanks for the input Ruth, I think I will get some bread in at work so I can have some toast in the afternoon - maybe even some baked beans as well, to be fuelled up properly before a longer/more intense session. The problem sometimes can be the time of my run and not being able to go out when I planned, for example getting home later from work and then sorting out the kids bathtime/bedtime then going for a run. I know it's not ideal, but in some ways I have got used to having very different set meal times at night, ranging from 6.00pm to 10.00pm - is that a bad thing?

Regarding bread, at the moment it is usally white as the kids tend to only eat that. Good excuse for me to go back to brown wholegrain. image