Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Comments

• Options
    Rennur wrote (see)
    RUTH  MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Rennur wrote (see)

Very interested in the salty sweat conversation... I fit into that category. Plus, I tend not to add any additional salt to my food, so I'm wondering if I might be starting with a bit of a deficit. While I haven't actually cramped up in the final miles of my maras, I have had to slow down because I thought that I would cramp up if I maintained the pace I wanted. So, is this an excuse for "crisps loading" along with our "carbo loading" beforehand?

Rennur: what is your fluid/fuel plan doing a race?

Hi Ruth,

I've been a bit casual about fueling, to be honest. I've done the usual carbo-loading (slightly higher intake; much higher carb proportion) a few days beforehand. Race day, it's about 750ml of the lucozade on course plus about 150g of jelly babies and some water. (Exception being Munich recently where I didn't take the iso drink, as it was in cups and an untested brand... I took extra jelly babies and was utterly sick of them by mile 16. That marathon had me slowing lots in the last few miles, though I couldn't prove that it was exclusively fueling that was responsible.)

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Hi there

I think 150g (6g per sweet) of jelly babies is amount 25 sweets which is about 120g of carbs plus 750ml of lucozade is about 48g that is possible total of 168g  and very little sodium if you are a heavy sweater would be too much carbs for many runners. Have you tried gels (to increase sodium intake a little and would reduce volume of what you need to take as 25 sweets may well be too much & taste fatigue is likely to kick in big time!), even one gel per hour plus 1-2 jelly sweets if feel need more (some may find one gel enough per hour others won't and will need more carbs so hence the extra jelly babies for variety)  and sip on fluid when you need?  I would say you do not need to love gels but if you can tolerate them it is only fuel in a race. I think most poeple fall into the backet of needing between 25g of carbs per hour up to 50g but some even less than the 25g but only a few will need more than the 50g.

• Options
    EmmaC wrote (see)

It was jolly cold this morning - was in a real kurfuffle about what to wear! Have been in short sleeves until today. Longer, thicker top, hadband and a gilet! My running chum had 2 pairs of gloves a gillet and a jacket! But we don't run very fast!

I have been known to wear my knee length Northpace puffa to warm up in ... what a whimp!

Have a great run tomorrow - did 12 this morning and it was smashing!image

Love the fact that everyone one on here is trying not to loose weight and I want to shift it!

Hi Emma, my hands always suffer in the cold weather and the skin has split already after todays cold weather, I think I'll have to have two pairs on tomorrow like your friend. Must be quite restrictive to run in those knee length coats. image Glad you had a good 12 miler this morning, although it was cold the sun and frost looked amazing.
  • Options
    Ruth, thanks for the advice... will experiment with gels and try the strategy this May at Edi.
  • Options

15.6 mile LSR in 2.05.28 this morning out into the local countryside. Picked a route with a few steep undulations which was tough going at some stages as I've not really done any hill work for a while.

Average pace was 8.03 and average HR was 151 bpm.
    Most of the miles were around the prescribed 8.10, but some of the steep ascents made the following descents seem easy! So a bit of ying and yang so to speak.

Next weeks 16 LSR should be quite tough with the first 8 easy and the next 8 clos e to MP (7.30 pace). Steve, I think I will have to do this on Saturday morning rather than the Sunday as we have people staying on the Saturday night and are having a (belated) party for my wife's 40th.

• Options
    My skin split too KR. I didn't realise at the time because my hands were so cold I couldn't feel my fingers anyway, but when I took my gloves off my hand was covered in blood. Nice!

The rest of me was fine though. Think I need some mittens to wear over my gloves.
  • Options

I have been wearing thermal gloves but short sleeves - sounds daft but my hands and face feel the cold the most. Despite the gloves yesterday when I got in the shower my hands were burning as I warmed up - ouch!

Hand cream I'm afraid lads is the way to fix it!image

• Options

Good solid run today KR - yes very cold this morning. I went out on bike and feet and hands were freezing for first hour.

Yes next week fine to do Saturday but may need to take Thursday very slightly easier so you are fresher for Saturday

• Options

Well done, KR. Good to see you've added a few hills on a very chilly day. I've changed my LSR routes from last year, adding in a few more hills and grass tracks and I've really noticed a difference - both physically and mentally. 

I did 13.2 miles today at a very steady 8:18  pace, making 41.5 miles for the week. Quite happy with that.

A few questions for Steve...

Saturday 5 mile slow run - sadly I have other family commitments on a Saturday morning, so can't make the weekly parkrun. Is it worth adding a few quicker miles in the middle of my alternative 5 mile slow run from time to time..?

Sunday run - the Ultimate sub 3:15 schedule, which I'm following, doesn't seem to have the different paces that the Garmin-ready schedules do. I see that KR is addiing a few marathon pace miles at the end of that run. Do you have any thoughts on when I should start doing this? I did a fair bit of that last year, but followed a different schedule, so wasn't sure what was best.

And a question for KR and everyone else..

What do people take for fuelling on their LSRs? I have been just drinking water until now and didn't want to start relying too much on carbos at this relatively low-mileage stage, but at what point do people start taking energy drinks etc?

Thanks everyone.

• Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    Lads? *takes offence* image

Sorry - I assumed most folks posting on here were chaps ..sorry if that's not the case.image

Or is it just lads as opposed to gents or similar - either way appologies... but can still recommend vaseline intensive hand cream for sore handies!image

• Options

Rob

re Saturday if no parkrun there - just put a quickish three miles in the middle of a 5 mile run. If on own, don't go too fast and half-marathon pace is fine. I think some marathon pace running is a good idea and by the end of January I think you should have done some but hasn't have to be far.

I don't think taking on gels or energy drinks are essential until your long runs are over 2 hours but from that point they are because not only will you possibly run faster and longer but also it might aid your recovery

• Options

Emma/Speedy - It was double gloves today which seemed to do the trick. It only seems to effect me when it gets really cold - and yes I do use hand cream! Annoyingly, my fingers tend to split right by the corner of the nail which makes doing up buttons and gripping things torture.

Rob - nice LSR today and milage for the week. I had my usual museli & crunch for breakfast this morning before the run. And because it was going to be at least a 2 hour run I took one SIS gel at around 9 miles into my run. I'm sure I would have been fine, but want to practice taking on gels and running at the same time. When I got home I had 500ml of a prepared SIS recovery drink and a banana. I don't tend to take energy drinks with me on LSR's (maybe I should?) but water instead, but tend to have them before a run (excpet this morning!). I picked up some loucozade sport last week in Morrison's which was half price for a pack of 4 - not sure how long the deal is on for?

Understood Steve about Thursday - would you say instead of 6.30 - 6.45 pace for the 4 miles section, it should be more 6.45 - 7.00 pace? What kind of a run would be best for the Sunday evening?

• Options
    yes KR that pace seems fine for Thursday and Sunday perhaps should just be a 4 mile easy recovery run
  • Options
    KR - well done on the LSR yesterday. It's freezing here too, although I got away with just one pair of gloves on Saturday.
  • Options

Thanks for the advice on daily food intake Ruth.  True that I need to eat more coloured fruit.  Good on the veg score with an average 5 differents types per evening.

I usually wear ski gloves in the really cold weather (like at the weekend). 

Nice parkrun Saturday and longer run yesterday KR.  Was a lovely day to hit the country lanes and your pace and HR look good again.  All going to plan. image

• Options

Cheers Martin - ski gloves would be appropriate as they are mead to fend off extreme cold - unlike runnig gloves. How's your London campaign going - what sort of weekly mileage are you looking at?

I presume you posted after your run this morning Gul - unless you over slept? image Found it hard to get out of bed this morning, but as the chief pack lunch preparer in the house I had my duties to perform!

• Options

This is the plan for the week. I have had to tweak the Sunday LSR to Sat AM, as we are having a party on Saturday night and peopole staying over - so a bit rude to disappear for 2 hours for a run!Will post up the stats for last week tonight.

Week four: 48M

Mon: January 16: 4M easy in approx 35 mins (8:45)

Tues: January 17: 9M of 1M jog, then 7 x 800m (at 5k pace   ie approx 3:10) fast, with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed: January 18: 9M slow in 72 mins (8:00)

Thurs January 19: 1M jog, then 4M (26-27 mins at 10M pace – 6:30-6:45 pace) brisk, then 1M jog

Fri: January 20: Rest

Sat: January 21: 16M  - first 8 easy at 8-8:30 pace, second 8M at close to marathon pace (ie 7:30)

Sun: January 22: 4M  - 4M easy in approx 35 mins (8:45)

• Options

Thanks Steve for the advice. Great stuff. I'll amend my weekend runs accordingly. It feels like I finally have a good base level of fitness, so looking forward to adding a few quicker miles over the coming weeks.

KR - thanks for the note on fuelling. I might start trying gels at mile 9/10 now the LSRs are starting to get longer.

4.5 mile recovery run to work this morning. It's days like this that I remember why I took up running. Beautiful day.

• Options
    Last night was (finally) the beginning of my New Years resolution - to be able to play one of my favourite songs on the guitar. So it was a few views on YouTube of Metallica, Enter Sandman and I was off. I've got the “sort of acoustic” part at the beginning sorted and the main riff is fairly straight forward, so I've got a bit of practicing ahead of me. It's weird when you see someone play it up close with the Tab music displayed on screen at the same time it all makes sense. image
  • Options
    knight rider wrote (see)

Cheers Martin - ski gloves would be appropriate as they are mead to fend off extreme cold - unlike runnig gloves. How's your London campaign going - what sort of weekly mileage are you looking at?

Only just completed week 2 for VLM.  Circa 48 miles week 1 and 51 miles last week including 18.5m on Saturday.  Happy with where I am at the moment.  This week was to include a MP run tonight, intervals on Thursday (first speed session for a while) and a 20 miler on Saturday.  However, as I woke this morning with a head cold this week may be a bit slower and shorter.

This week looks like a very varied and interesting one.  The 16 miler at the weekend will be a good test with last 8 at MP.  Sure you are well capable of that at this stage, especially with some of the quick stuff you have been knocking out recently.

On the subject of fuelling during runs, I never use any gels until my last 5 long runs.  They don't really agree with me so I do as many runs as possible without (some without much fluid) to get my body used to running on empty. Listening to alot of Marathon Talk podcasts alot of the best British runners used to train without fuel (always make sure you are hydrated/fed before running).   I then find when I introduce gels and water closer to race day my body then performs better.  Not sure what Steve/Ruth would make of that?

Are you planning of bringing the guitar to the presentation night for your first PA?

• Options
    knight rider wrote (see)
    I presume you posted after your run this morning Gul - unless you over slept? image Found it hard to get out of bed this morning, but as the chief pack lunch preparer in the house I had my duties to perform!
    Unfortunately I have the lurgy, so an enforced rest day for me; nothing serious but thought better of going out in the freezing cold today. Looks like a nice schedule lined up for you this week.
  • Options
    Good training MH too - I agree in some ways that becoming too reliant on gels early in the training schedule may be counter productive and possibly teach the body to adapt better and have a reduced effect later but if it makes the last few miles slightly harder because of it, then doubly important to refuel properly post run so it doesn't affect the next bout of training.
  • Options
    ps well done KR - over 10000 views on thread already and still 3 months to go.
  • Options

Good point about the gels, Martin H. I had also read/heard that it's best not to become over reliant on gels, which is why I raised the question. Interesting that Steve shares this view.

I think I'll stick to diluted Lucozade for now and refuel post run, but perhaps hold off on the gels until the really high mileage weekends.

Yes, well done on over 10,000 views KR. I also play guitar - Enter Sandman is a classic. Love it. Almost up there with Stairway to Heaven.. image

• Options
    Rennur wrote (see)

KR, I've avoided gels in the past due to early bad experiences. I have been road-testing a few different ones recently, and they aren't universally awful. (Nor cheap, but neither is a big race...)

I'd strongly recommend the High5 Isogels. They really are like drinking lightly flavoured water, so no stickiness, no strong flavours and no need to wash them down with anything. The only minor downside to them is that the sachets are a bit bigger than their regular gels, but even so I don't think they're any bigger than the SIS sachets. For training runs I just tape one to my bottle, and I have a gel belt when I'm racing and want to carry more of them.
  • Options
    Knight rider wrote (see)
    /members/images/77921/Gallery/records.jpg

This is the extent of my House music record collection, probably about 1200+ 12" 's & albums. So far I have converted just one and half of those square blocks into MP3's. I've got a fair way to go, but it beats watching TV some nights! Currently recording Armand Van Helden “You don't know me” at the moment. A good song back in 1999 and still sounds good now!

This is my CD collection, except that this was taken probably 5 or 6 years ago, so doesn't show all the CDs now stacked on top of it, nor the 6 units on the opposite wall mostly housing my Cocteau Twins collection. And there's also 5 more units and a big rotating thing that the wife has her CDs in. And the record collection is bigger!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/dprid/CDS1-smaller.jpg

• Options
    Quick de-lurk to congratulate KR and BOTF on both having a nice rack!

Quality thread, keep it up....
  • Options
    Bliddy hill BOTF, you like your music don't you?!

Emma - I am most definitely a girl. Both KR and Steve have met me and can hopefully vouch for that fact!

Tasty looking schedule this week KR. Mine has more miles but still seems easier overall.
  • Options

A bit of a late run tonight. Got home & had dinner, then it was bath, hair wash & storytime for my 2 boys, then it was a quick trip up to ASDA, so didn't actually get out till after 9.30.

5 miles at an average 8.37 and an av HR of 140 bpm - looks like the heart rate is coming down gradually for the shorter, slower runs. Followed the run with 6 x 80m strides, 2 sets of 2 step hops, the plank for a hold of 100, side plank both sides x 2 sets and some bridges' (even a couple with my leg up!).

• Options

Respect to the music collection BOTF - Now That's What I Call Music! How long has that taken to amass? It's a shame most of the record shops are closing down or have closed down. There's nothing like going in a record shop and flicking through all the vinyls or CD's, appreciating the album art, checking out the track listing/producers etc. Don't get me wrong downloads are great and the fact that when you pick somethnig it suggests other things to listen to is brilliant, but I like things that are physical and tactile and have a presence.

Rob, the trouble with Classic songs are you don't relaise they are classic til about 10 years later and it makes you want to turn the volume up to 11 (in a Spinal Tap way) when you hear it again. With the gels, sometimes I forget that I have them with me on a training run, and sometimes I choose not to take them if I am feeling okay. It's only this time round training for Paris that I have started taking the recovery drink, which I can see is an important element of the LSR ritual.

Speedy, yes this week looks a bit tougher than the last few, but that's a good thing. image
    Looking forward to seeing the next block of training weeks.

Hi Slokey, you can delurk on here anytime!