Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Comments

• Options
    What a record Steve.

My legs are fine today apart from quads a tiny bit sore, huge improvement on yesterday.

I have been loving the beet juice and the Cherry concentrate also, walking loads after the race probably helps recovery too.

chs I'm in East London, would have liked a crack at Abingdon this year but didn't enter early and it filled fast.
  • Options
    My legs are still sore too. I did have a little run today.... about 100m mad dash to the car from the door at work in a torrential downpour. I'll do some actual exercise tomorrow, but not running. I'll have 10 mins to kill before Body Balance class so will probably have a gentle spin out on the elliptical trainer. Then after class I may brave the pool.
  • Options
    Pool is sounding good for the morning.
  • Options

Rob - sensible, well thought through plan leaving all options open so well done and good luck with the speed work - get booked into some races over the summer quickly to give you something to target (a summer series at 5 or 10K might be good)

Martin - no problem about the age at all, i'm looking forward to see how i do in the M60 category from next year

• Options

I can confrim Abingdon is an absolutely cracking race.Insanely flat course, seems to be just at the right time for weather, nice "small town" feel, not too many runners clogging the place up, very high standard overall...need I go on ! I've done it once but had a very injury compromised build up. Just tickled over the 3,00 mark by a few seconds. Will be back this year for unfinished business !

Brave of you to consider racing on Sunday Martin. Clearly your magical fairy powers are strong

• Options
    I wasn't so convinced by Abingdon. I hated the last bit through a residential area with lots of curbs and people in the way with buggies, dogs and stray children, completely oblivious to the fact you'd just run 25 miles as fast as you can manage. And that industrial estate was a bit grim. And there were no loos on the course so I had to take my chances down a farm track. Nice start and finish though. And comedy street writing to motivate you up the little hill.
  • Options
    Cheers Oscarr. Good luck with your marathon. Very impressive that you've done so many.

I have already filled in my running club form and busy finding some good 10k races and half marathons. All suggestions welcome.

• Options

A very impressive range of 5 year sub 3 hour marathon times Steve. Your times may change as you get older but surely as a V55 you'll be up there near the top of that group. I guess it's all relative. You are still way quicker than me and if I am anywhere near my pace now in 10 years time I'll be very surprised. Hope the legs feel a bit better as the week goes on. Apart from just after finishing, my legs/body have been relatively fine, probably the best after doing any marathon, which makes me wonder if I could have pushed it a bit more? Maybe I erred a bit on the side of caution? Thanks for the offer of input on training plans Steve, I'll drop you an email soon.

chs wrote (see)

KR - Not sure what you mean?  Do you mean that 70ml (7cl) of ordinary carton juice is the eqivelant of a 7ml shot?

I think the shot is a concentrated equivelent to the 250ml optimum daily dose. I'm going to give it a try this weekend (if I can find and buy one) as I am running in the East Midlands Relays on Sunday. If you're running Martin are you in the senior "B" team? Didn't know there wasa cherry concentrate too Reki?

Good to be looking forward to another age category next year Oscar.

Abingdon is on my list to do Fraser, maybe next year. I know it's popular and fills up early, but when do the entries open? Interesting both you & Speedy have contrasting views on the same race.

• Options
    KR

The cherry stuff is tart cherry concentrate that you dilute in water, a typical brand is Cherry Active - big or small bottles [or again silly little sachets/shots from H&Barratt etc

It's a powerful antioxidant, not making any VO2 enhancing claims to my knowledge!

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    I too feel the best I have ever felt after a marathon and wonder whether I could have pushed it harder but on reflection I am glad I followed the advice and had a pretty consistent run averaging 7:01 minute miles for my 26.72 miles.

I have not run a step since but hope to get around the track a few times tonight.

I have the Marathon of the North a week on Sunday. (I am doing the two for charity, I would not normally be so reckless
  • Options

KR, Abingdon entry opens around January I think- maybe even earlier.

I did it in 2010- as you may know there is a 2 x 8.5 mile loop in the middle so you do the industrial estate twice and i can understand why some people don't like it.

There are plenty of good things about it, I liked the athletics stadium start and finish, it is very flat and the on course support (drinks stations etc) was excellent.

It is true that as a small event (1100 entries I think, but only just over 700 finished) there are some downsides- the last few miles are very twisty through the town centre and a residential area as Speedy said and you do have to negotiate some kerbs which is not as easy as it sounds after 24 miles- I very nearly tripped over one. Also I ran a couple of miles probably- around 22 to 24, probably the hardest ones- when I could see no other runners in front or behind me leading to a bit of anxiety about the route, although there are marshalls at each road junction.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Steve.. very impressed with you league table, definitely something to show your grandkids when you are in pipe & slippers mode!  

BTW I had heard rumours that there were proposals to tweak the male VLM GFA times for the older (V50/V55) age groups.  Indeed I think your name was linked with the stats submitted to Mr Bedford (fame at last!).  Have you any idea if this will happen for the 2013 race?  If not I think I will be doing a different one next year!

• Options

KR just got round to reading your race report, good work! You must STILL be buzzing now from the whole experience. An excellent time, and what you've learnt about training, race strategy, nutrition etc will stay with you and stand you in good stead for future (sub 3!) endeavours. And you deserve a pat on the back for what you've put into the process - included late nights updating us on the forum!

Well done all the London runners..Martin that's a phenomenal time... saw you on telly.... Steve, brilliant you did sub 3 again...Rob, you WILL be back! That's a great time, but I know you feel you could have done better... much how I felt last year (did 3.52 but felt 3.30 was in reach).

Manchester for me on Sunday then... training's gone okay.... only thing is have had an upset stonach since Saturday... not enough to keep me off work, but been feeling just a tad "fevery" - hopefully all cleared up by Sunday.... did 4 easy miles yesterday and didn't feel great... fingers crossed, anyway (I know, I know, getting my excuses in first!!).

• Options

I'm with Fraser and Chris re Abo.  Only downside for me is that with only about 750 runners, it can get a little lonely in the second half, depending on your time.  Entries opened on 1st Feb this year and were closed within 3 weeks. 

Good luck  for Manchester Simon.  Sounds like you're going through some last minute nervousness.  You'll be fine on the day - Enjoy!   I slept really badly for 3 days at the end of last week.  Didn't realise at the time that it was pre VLM nerves but am back to sleeping okay again now... and hooray, my legs are finally not hurting this morning!!

• Options
    Cheers Simon. Very best of luck for Sunday. Say hi to my home town for me...  What time are you going for?
  • Options

Yes Abingdon sounds like a good race/course overall, not too big and not too small. It must be difficult as you say when you are running on your own and can't see anyone in front/behind especially wondering if you had taken a wrong turn! I know it is popular on the forums, so will have a look out for the entries in the early New Year. The mearathon in Leicester only had 354 finishers last year which is a bit weak. It is however run at the same time as the half marathon (1657 finishers) so the start & first 6 miles together has a more big race feeling. But I am with you on the running solo part, if you aren't used to it in races it could be hard to push/pace yourself.

Good luck for Manchester Simon. I felt a  bit rought the day before Paris and was a bit worried, but some good hydration and a good night's sleep on the Saturday seemed to work. Would be interested to hearhow you get on and what you think of the course.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I have just taken possession of my own legs - the ones I have been wearing since suynday didnt fit. Going to dodge the rain for a couple of miles tonight.

KR   - Chester Mara? It is only 6 9 miles to the start from my door but not sure thats a good enough reason to do it again this year.  I wont PB it as I will be leaving a bit more in the tank for the last 6 so am toying with all options at the mo. L'poll is the week after so not sure. Am probably going to do London again and see how I fair from the GFA pen. That might be worth a few seconds here and there. Chester half is two weekends on sun and am in for that. PB is 1.28:4x and am not sure what I am tagetting as I dont know how to work it back - but am sure it should be a bit lower.

• Options
    I too have my own legs back, hurrah! But no running till Sunday.

Cherry Active is marketed as a recovery aid. I mix it with Lucozade and L-Glutamine powder (which I swear by to ward off colds - must buy some more, I used my last at VLM).

• Options

I have legs but think they may be those of the allegedly 101 year-old marathoner. They aren't one the ones I had last week. but could jog which couldn't do yesterday.

Managed 800m jog in 5 minutes to shops and walked back

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Good luck on Manchester at the weekend Simon.  Hope it all goes well.

I use the CherryActive capsules as they worked out cheaper than the drinks but on investigation do the same thing.  Not sure if it works but it didn't stop me going faster so it's good enough.

I ran just over 3.5 miles yesterday lunch.  Achey is not the word.  Although it did show that I should be able to run on Sunday KR, although I will certainly be well below race pace.

• Options

I don't think there any pressure/expectations on you Martin to go all out, just stick to what is comfortable. I can feel a bit of a head cold creeping up on me, so not sure what I'll be like Sunday am?

Apart from this Sunday's 3 mile relays I have got a “league” half marathon in 2 weeks time and not sure how much fitness will carry though from the marathon training this time round. Last year I entered the same race and don;t think as I was as focused on it, although I think as I suffered a lot in Brighton with cramp it took me a few weeks to get going again. Is there an average amount of time to take it easy after a marathon before racing again? I know a lot peole get PB's after marathon training and have used the training to their benefit.  Has anyone else got races lined up in the next few weeks after their marathons?

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

KR - There may not be much expected of me, but it is a race!!!

I went to that talk at the club a few weeks ago and they were saying that you should give one day for every mile before you race again.  I think that is a bit excessive, but it will depend on how you feel.  I've entered the HM as well and will only do some shorter fast runs next week (if the legs are back to normal) to get my legs running at what I want HMP to be.  I'll hope that marathon fitness will do the rest.

I did my best ever Parkrun two weeks after last year's VLM and then went on holiday for three weeks so lost my marathon fitness. 

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I have a half on May 13th and aim to PB it - although I must admit I havent got a clue how to approach it re pace. Can people post up their PBs for a half and a full? I might be able to do some statistical analysis and come up with a game plan or range, if not going to start at PB pace for the first six and look to push after that.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

My HM time is probably out of kilter with my marathon PB as I haven't ran a HM since October 2010. but:

Name            HM  PB          Mara PB

MartinH         1.22.57           2.49.44

My HM is also 13th May in Hinckley.  I'm hoping to do some speed work next week and then head out at around 6.00-6.05 pace and see whether I die on my arse!!!

• Options

There is a whole thread on conversation from half to full and there is nothing that can be done to tie them together.

Name            HM  PB          Mara PB

MartinH         1.22.57           2.49.44
    PMJ              1.19.34           2.50.28

1 all image and stats show that the faster the HM, the slower the full!

• Options

half your marathon time and take off 5 mins is rough guideline. Most will go quicker at half as getting nearer marathon potential is harder.

ie 4:00 is 1:55

3:50 1:50

3:40 1:45

3:30 1:40

3:20 1:35 

3:10 1:30

3:00 1:25

2:50 1:20

2:40 1:15

2:30 1:10

2:20 1:05

• Options

on conversion thread - dividing by 2.25 seems to be conclusion which gives below. In my view this just shows an ability for most of those who gave their times to reach their full potential at marathon - based on this Radcliffe's 2:15 is worth 60 which it isn't - probably more 64 and WR 2:03 is worth 54 and that's more 58. I think the figures below are those who are speed based runners who haven't reached marathon potential, ones above are those who are as good at marathons as they are at half marathon

4:00 1:47

3:50 1:42

3:40 1:38

3:30 1:33

3:20 1:29

3:10 1:24

3:00 1:20

2:50 1:16

2:40 1:11

2:30 1:07

2:20 1:02

• Options
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

ones above are those who are as good at marathons as they are at half marathon

well mine falls on the half less 5 so I have to agree.
  • Options

should say shows an inability...

In my view this just shows an ability for most of those who gave their times to reach their full potential

• Options
    HM 87.37 Full 3.08.58

Make of that what you will, statisticians!

I have quite a lot of races coming up. Some league races that are club commitments, the Notts 10 because it's County Champs, Rampton 10k because it's County Champs and the Heritage Series (4 races over 2 weeks) because I hope to win some money. Possibly also the Sinfin 10k. The only ones I will race all out will be the 10ks as I'm determined to get under 40 minutes. If I achieve that before the Heritage series then all the better as consistency is the name of the game there and a slower time in the 10k will save my legs for the hilly 5k two days later, the 4 miler a week later and the 5 miler two days after that.

Steve - some advice if you don't mind? I'm looking at putting together my training plan for Munich (14 October). For all of my previous marathons I've done much the same:
    1 long run (longest being time on feet)usually run all at LSR pace but once or twice running the last 2 - 6 miles @ MP (ie when there's a handy race usually!)
    1 MLR to max of 16 miles
    1 intervals session with club (800s - 1.75 mile reps but in summer will be 600s to max 1 mile reps)
    1 tempo or MP run with WU and CD to max of 14 miles
    1 - 3 recovery or general runs
    1 Body Pump class (except in race weeks)
    1 Yoga/Pilates or Body Balance type class

I've just increased the mileage each time, from a peak of about 48 for my first marathon, to a peak of 80 this time around.

So how do I progress now? I've looked at 'proper' schedules and they don't seem to fit my life. P&D involves doubles I can't do and I'd have to give up intervals with club and do all the long runs alone. Daniel's only has 2 quality sessions per week and I'm used to doing 3. Should I just keep on with the same strategy and try to squeeze in a few more miles? I do think that training with other people is very important for me, which means keeping the intervals session (Thursdays in summer) and the Wednesday MLR and weekend LSR at an easy consistent pace so that others will join me. I already do the tempo/MP runs alone as no-one will do them with me.