Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Craig - I'm not trying to tempt you or anything.....

I know I haven't even run the MK Marathon yet, but I've just smacked my credit card and registered for Brighton 2013.

I've been overcome with taper madness, you see?

£45 to enter.

You don't have to tell the wife.... yet image. I'm too scared to mention it to mine - especially since I'll also enter the London Ballot (just because I like to read the "commiserations" magazine each year).

In the meantime, must concentrate on this years marathon image
  • Options
    Craig, well done mate, you were fantastic, both running and partying and as I said there is one hell of a runner in you and you've just started to bring them out, you will go sub-40 for 10km that I'm sure and I will soon be looking over my shoulder.  Your wide eyed enthusiasm was infectious and made the whole experience richer...thank you.
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

OK then. Race report (no weekend report)... Sorry about not getting it done yesterday, needed to spend some time with the family and also wanted to make sure that I (hopefully) do this justice.
    You going to have read a lot about the context on the other’s threads, but wanted to offer my perspective too, if that’s OK with everyone.  

I got to the train station early on Friday morning and wondered around, buying decaf coffee and eating like a crazy person. Met up with Emma, her OH, Colin, Sam, Steve, RW crew and Stacey from Asics and off we all go... Have to recommend Eurostar, especially if you live in close proximity to a train station at your end.  Journey was quick and uneventful until we got to the hotel... Firstly, they didn’t reserve the right amount of rooms for us all and there was a considerable line for the loo in reception... Lot’s of hopping about and all that.  However, Stacey got it sorted (the rock of the weekend), we dropped off our stuff and off to the Expo.  

I was getting excited by this point, but also a little confused because I’ve never been to one before, but the guys pointed me in the right direction and number collected and pen changed with no incident from (4:00 to 4:15 because I couldn’t register any other way).  I heard from people at the start that it was a bit on a nightmare on Saturday, so tip there might be to get in as early as poss to get it done and (hopefully) avoid the crowd.

We wondered around there for a while, I bought a hoodie (planned on that before coming to minimise things to carry) and also bought Thomas a tee-shirt with Paris Marathon 2012 on it. It’s a bit big, but... regret not following Lee’s example and buying a mug though...

Picked up some leaflets for the Marathon de Medoc and Marathon de Beaujolais... Hummm...  
    Then off to dinner for pasta after picking up Lee’s OH from the hotel. Very nice food and even better company as we chatted away before being sensible and heading back to keep eating and some sleep.

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

The next day I had decided that I would like to go to Notre Dame and we all seem to have had a similar idea. We figured that the photo shoot in the afternoon might be at the Eiffel Tower so on one went there.  Very nice cathedral, but have seen more impressive (Peterborough, Ely and York, to name just three). But we all chatted and had a nice morning.  Managed to upset Steve (hope not too much) by inadvertently jumping in front of him at the Metro ticket machine. Then made an fool of myself by not figuring out how the barriers worked. I wasn’t kidding when I said I was scatty on the application form!
    Steve and Colin went back to the hotel while Emma, Rosie, Lee, respective OHs and I had lunch at the Cafe Esmerelda by the cathedral. Quality. Sun was out, food was nice and great way to spend a morning. Then off for the photo shoot.  

Got to the Jardin Des Tuileries for photos and interviews. This was a very amusing afternoon, with hen party that seemed to be just having photos taken... But Paris in spring is amazing. I was surprised how green it was for the time of year. Sure the photos will be on the web in a bit, but this was also fun because for the first time in this process, it wasn’t freezing!

And then... After the supermarket... It was the lost passport situation.  Good lord it was a nightmare,  very nearly lost the plot at that point, really, just what I didn’t need.  Wanted to be off my feet, relaxing, reading a book or maybe a snooze, but no, not me.

Then dinner out.  Think the nerves were starting to kick in at that point for a couple of us, I ended up sounding like a gibbering wreak, making no sense at all but managed not to run off and get the next train home. Got off to sleep OK when we got back, but woke up sometime around 3:00 or something (when I posted) but got back down to sleep in the end...)

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

So, race day! I put all of my race kit on before leaving, bought hat, gloves and a top to throw away at the start, but looked like a bank robber to be honest.  Had to make a decision about glasses, which was a pain, because I don’t use contact lenses and was worried that I would have had to squint for miles. Not that that was an issue at any point.

Lot’s of encouraging words from everyone to us seemed to steady the butterflies a bit, but I’m so glad the others were there because I found it really had to get focused on what I was doing and could have panicked, but wished the others well while Emma and I found our way into the pens. Just as we get in Orbit introduces himself *waves to Orbit*, which was great. Also start talking to someone who recognised us from the print magazine who was also doing her first marathon *waves to Ally*. After the gun goes it takes us ages to get over the line (something like 30+ minutes or so), but being very inexperienced, my extra clothing goes far, far, far too early... But not too cold for it to be a major problem.

Emma and I get separated when the crowd moves forward and she has a quick trip to the loo (I was starting to stiffen up).  Then came the start line and we were off...

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

I ran with Ally for the first 5k until the first drinks station, which was nice as we were both discussing the effects of the cobbles on our feet and what they would have felt like at mile 23... her supporters were at about the 1.5k mark so that was a nice way to focus on the race ahead.  We split up after the first water station at 5k, where I picked up a bottle to carry until mile four or so where I planned to take a high5.
    This section passed quite uneventfully (appeared to be keeping my pacing quite even and on target) until somewhere around mile 5 where I had to stop to retie my laces... Nightmare, this then involved me running up the paths around the main bulk of the runners to make up some lost time, but this then resulted in my being very cautious over the next mile or so with averaged some 10 second more than I had been doing...

Emma’s OH was hanging of a lamp post at somewhere around the 6 mile mark, so that was a nice pick up and maintained until mile 10.  Through this section I had been gently overtaking quite a few other runners, and was trying to maintain the planned pace until a position where I could re-evaluate the plan and adapt, the progressive scheme worked wonders on this.  I was feeling no pain or discomfort at the ten mile mark and decided to press on and increase the effort (hope the splits show that).
    Mile 11 was, I think, down hill or something... Or and underpass... But crossing the half way point was amazing. Was feeling comfortable, not under any pressure or pain and knew that the training, effort and advice had worked at that point.  Judged this on the fact that I was only slightly slower than my first half last year but that effort floored me for days.  

At mile 16 the RW team were there, very impressed by the shouting. But again, this was a lift that I needed at this point, because although I was OK physically, boy was I starting to find it psychologically draining.  As per plan (and pay off for leaving caffeine alone) took the zipvit gel just after I passed them... It took a little while to kick in, maybe 20 minutes or so, but just as I was passing through the 18th, the effort appeared easier for a while... But also became more and more aware of the stress on my feet.  Legs: fine, bottom of me feet though....  were really starting to hurt.  Like when you have a long day out walking and standing around but maxed up to the power of 10...  This was properly starting to happen at around mile 20... Other than the feet, the effort was OK. and feeling like a runner.  Throughout that 10 miles I had been increasingly passing more and more people to the point that it felt like I was consistently moving faster than those around me.

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

So, the last six mile... I thought at mile 20 that I haven’t bailed now so might as well turn the pace up to what Sam and I had agreed to should I feel comfortable to do so. I was unsure what my potential target time was, but didn’t care at this point, I quest wanted to pass through the next six miles at the best of my ability.  However, it was here that I started to become frustrated with the number of people on the course and wondering why there were groups of people abreast in the middle of the course who were walking!!! Over the last 20 miles or so I’d got used to hopping around people with a quick ‘merci/pardon/excuse moi’ but it was in those last mile when I had picked up a comfortable but challenging pace when someone would just stop/slow down in front of me while in the middle of the road... My (poor) thinking then was: please pull to the side and walk, please...

The warned about bad patch come in at about mile 22/23 or so.  At this point, I had to keep telling myself just to keep going and not to stop or fold. Surprisingly, I think that the last 6 were the quickest of the whole thing (now garmin connect isn’t working...) Coming around the last roundabout, I swung out around the pack and screamed back at the crowd: ‘‘ave it!!!’, punching the air with jubilation.  By that point, I just wanted some space to stretch my legs and had been hammering it for nearly a mile... Passing through on to the finishing straight, I held left to pass the Asics area feeling like I had so much left.  After I had crossed the line the photographer asked my what I had done, totally forgot to stop it!!!! Read 4:07:03, but was so confused by that point I just wanted to be back with the others and hoped to see Emma over.  

Then I started walking...

The next 1/2 mile or so was the longest I have ever done in my entire life. Got my tee-shirt, medal and ponco thing one and tried to get out, but there were people EVERYWHERE, including spectators. Eventually managed to hobble back to the compound where everyone was waiting. I was struck dumb by the response and just wanted to know how everyone did. A soon as I knew we had all hit target and PB’ed I think I could have exploded with happiness. As long as there was no jumping, standing, feet involved.  I needed help getting my recovery socks on, getting up the stair and then called.

I have to say that the teams response was incredible Lee looked like a Cheasure Cat, Rosie was bouncing of the walls, Colin was smiling like a crazy man and grin couldn’t have been more infectious.  Totally party atmosphere that lead to an amazing night out with the crew.

It’s funny, but I thought I would be intimidated by everyone else (especially Colin and Lee) having done this before, but I couldn’t have asked for a nicer group of people to share this experience with. That includes Sam, Steve, Stacey, RW team and you folks. Your encouragement, honesty, focus, humour and support has given me one of the best experiences of my life. It’s up there, it really is. Oh good lord, I’m going to get emotional again.

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Sorry, know it's a long one... Finished in 4:06:26 in the end.As soon as Garmin Connet is back up, I'll post the splits... 

At 5k I was in position 27239 and at the finish I crossed the line as 17902. I passed 9337 people...image

But the numbers are not imprortant at the moment (still emotional). What a comedown.

Lee: I'm going to take you up on that offer mate. 

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Great report.

I'm made up for you mate - you totally deserve it, and it's wonderful to see how much it all meant to you. Asics made a great choice when they picked you and you have done them proud, as has the entire team.

• Options

BRILLIANT thanks Craig loved reading that tear in the eye near the end knowing the joy you must have felt at the end there. Brill to keep running for your first marathon. What did you have your garmin reading for you? Average pace or last mile pace or both? I need to pace like you guys have done come Edinburgh. Awesome effort I can see a sub four coming soon!

Ten you bad lad booking another marathon. The hardest part is telling the OH aint it!!!!!imageimage

• Options
    Oh wow - bless you...*sniff*...a great write up...making me blub reading that!  So so well done, to you and the whole crew! image
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    mcs - great question about the pace! I'm also interested to know how Craig and the others used their Garmin pace settings.

I've just changed mine because the current pace jumps all over the place - even when running steady(ish). I've now got the average pace for the current lap on my main screen, and average for entire run on a separate screen. It's a bit late in the day to change it, so I hope I'm doing the right thing.

Re Brighton: I've already booked the hotel too, so I'll sugar the pill by calling it a weekend break - with a spot of running involved. I probably better keep schtum until after the London ballot results image
  • Options

Well done Craig! What a journey!

Glad it went so well and what a great race report!

• Options

Craig - wonderful race/weekend report, thanks, and what a great experience - agree with mcs, tear in the eye near the end

Really do hope we meet up again one day at another event

Enjoy your recovery

Did you decide about a new thread ?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hey Craig.

It was a great coincidence to meet you and Emma in the pen - and I totally agree with you about ditching clothes too early. Damn chilly.

Cracking time, mate.

At one point I could see you running to my left and you were looking totally in control.

I got hit by the cramp monkey at mile 19, while I was bang on target for 4:15, and managed to finish in 4:31. Still chuffed, though.

Well done again, you've set yourself a high standard to beat for your secon marathon image

• Options

Criag

Thanks for the report, I love reading  the "behind the time" how it actually felt to get the time, well done one last time. You have been a super member of the team.

Ruth

• Options

Absolutly Fabulous result Craig aka Bo. 

Please all don't let this be the end of the thread as its given me the courage to sign up for theBrighton Marathon 2013, and I still wish to lurk so I can read all your tips.  Bo and all the Forum posters you are truley inspirational

Twinkle

• Options

I picked up these ASICS posts very late in the process and as a "newbie" myself this was the 1st thread to read each time. Congratulations on a brilliant run and the thought of overtaking a quarter of the field is mindblowing....

I'm within days of VLM and my excitement is building as yours did and I reckon I'll remember a few of the pointers from this thread at some stage, so thanks for sharing everything so openly for the benefit of us all.

This applies to the other runners in the Team and of course all of the coaches, nutritionists; physios etc etc.

• Options
    Loved the report Craig - looking forward to the new...continuing threadimage
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    MWW - how's your tapering going?

I can't believe how fast the races are approaching! image
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Folks, been out to buy a new phone charger because (me being me) I left it in Paris... Typical.

As promised, my split times as below:

1    9:47.5    1.00    9:48
    2    9:38.4    1.00    9:38
    3    9:42.3    1.00    9:42
    4    9:33.2    1.00    9:33
    5    9:36.7    1.00    9:37
    6    9:34.9    1.00    9:35
    7    9:42.1    1.00    9:42
    8    9:29.9    1.00    9:30
    9    9:23.3    1.00    9:23
    10    9:30.1    1.00    9:30
    11    9:11.0    1.00    9:11
    12    9:21.0    1.00    9:21
    13    9:21.4    1.00    9:21
    14    9:20.3    1.00    9:20
    15    9:28.5    1.00    9:28
    16    9:20.9    1.00    9:21
    17    9:32.2    1.00    9:32
    18    9:49.8    1.00    9:50
    19    9:10.9    1.00    9:11
    20    8:54.0    1.00    8:54
    21    8:52.6    1.00    8:53
    22    9:20.6    1.00    9:21
    23    9:02.8    1.00    9:03
    24    8:50.5    1.00    8:50
    25    8:36.4    1.00    8:36
    26    9:07.5    1.00    9:07
    27    3:44.3    0.43    8:47

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Thanks for the positive feedback on the race report. Did make an effort to try and do it justice and go beyond the numbers.  I started this process with the aim of finishing and beating the distance.  The time was a bonus.

You've all been brilliant and this process has all been about you guys, I hope that has come across. 

Ten/mcs: you've both asked about Garmin splits. I left mine on auto splits so it would show average pace over each mile. I found this better than the actual pace reading, whcih seems to jump around a lot. I'm entering Brighton this afternoon... Couldn't resist, Ten... So hopfully we can meet up, you up for that Twinkle and others???

Mike: Really glad you posted. Knew there have been people reading this, so thanks. Good luck with VLM at the weekend. Will be watching on the TV and routing for you and the others doing it.

Orbutt: Great to bump into you. Shame about the cramp monster, but you kept going to finish. Takes guts man, well done. That last 6 were quite tough too, not much support till the last bit. 

Ruth: thanks for all of the advice and support. Much apprciated. 

oscarr/sleepy/mcs/mww/Louisa etal: Thanks for keeping this going. Will continue until we have results for everyone's spring campain and the move into threads. 

Right, before I forget. First timers, make sure you have something to do after you finish. I'm really struggling with the emotional comedown of four months of training (and this process) and it's really quite hard.  Actually finding more difficult than the training etc.  I've got stuff sheduled in and planning, but stil difficult. 
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Sam: You've been brilliant thoughout this process and out up with me, so thank you... 

Oh, I keep looking at my Milton Keynes number... Got two weeks rest.... NO CRAIG!!!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the Garmin info.

Get in quick for Brighton... I didn't realise that the price goes up in stages. I think it's currently £55. It's great to have another target (even though my current target hasn't yet passed - LOL).

I've already booked a family room at the Preston Park Travelodge, which is directly opposite the start. I've booked on the flexible (unfortunately, more expensive) fare, in case I need to cancel (up to 12 noon on arrival day). No need to worry about passports though image

It's taking my mind off this years looming marathon image
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    LOL - might see you at Milton Keynes.... which pen are you in? I'm in yellow.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    BoDuke wrote (see)
    Picked up some leaflets for the Marathon de Medoc and Marathon de Beaujolais... Hummm...  
    See you at Marathon du Medoc in September? It's Fancy dress and there's wine on route! (can you tell that i'm already registered? image)
  • Options

BoD - have you any more races planned? Some shorter distances maybe during the summer months?

Ten - Tapering is going okay. I am having a constant battle with a lurgy that is going around, one day I think I have definately got it, the next not so sure!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    MWW - the old phantom lurgy, eh? Hope it's all settled by the weekend and you have a good race.

All being well, I'll be feet-up tapering while watching the event on the beeb.
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Ten: I'm in for next year. Clearly am going stir crazy... How did you book the hotel??? Trying now and struggling. I'm in the green pen, but thinking I might just travel over because I've never seen a marathon in person before (trying to be sensible)... If I do, I'll PM and cheer you on.

Emmy_Bug: Attempted to bribe my OH into it, but she seemed not best pleased to be honest.  I've got a half I'm doing in October and going to try to get a massive PB. And it's only a mile walk from my front door. But let us know what it's like and could argue that's it's a joint birthday present: she gets to eat and drink, I get to drink and stagger... 

MWW: I've got a 10k booked for end July and a 24 hour relay race for the beginning (5 mile laps and there is 8 of us). Maybe another 10K in May or something? Don't panic about the lurgy, could well be nerves and the build up. 

You guys are going do really well, I can feel it!

• Options
    Craig

Very good point about the comedown, I had this very issue with my first marathon, and I think it's always a consideration, so I always try to bridge for a soft landing in the days immediately following. My endorphins have been through the roof, and suddenly its all over as far as my brain chemistry is concerned, and my brain can take things a tad literally at chemical level.

Gentle BE raisers include baths and massages, neither of which would touch it if I've really spiked myself, so I'd go in the pool.

And hope to be able to get back out unassisted!

Walks also good, and laughs.