Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Easy people, enjoy the moment. Before you know it this is goog to be over... Can't wait till tomorrow and seeing all that work coming into effect!
  • Options
    Fantastic blog Craig and cheers for everyone who's posted. I got an email from Runners World this afternoon, followed the link to the video, and then was caught by Craig's blog.
    I've spent the past 4.5 hours reading 1321 posts image
    My situation - similar to Craig's initial starting point, been doing running for a few months, still carrying about 10kg too much weight. Have posted a 5k time of 25mins at a Reading parkrun, ran in the Reading Half marathon (2hrs 7m - 1st half in about 58mins, 2nd half - was walking towards the end).
    I'm very determined to do better, to get fitter, to pace my runs better and to train smarter. This blog has been a great read to show how it should be done - by experts and experienced runners.
    I have to try to avoid trying to run flat out in every run I do and to let injuries recover.
    I'm hoping for a 4hr 1st marathon attempt in October at Chester, and have entered a half marathon in July (Windsor) and thanks to this blog I have a much clearer idea of the road ahead.
    May I ask - is this going to continue to show Craig's journey - I would love to know more. And finally - big congratulations to Craig image
  • Options
    EmmaC wrote (see)
    I can't see the other buds on the website - did anyone spelled them? Is it possible?

I don't think I wrote that - not sure I understand it either - very odd?!

• Options
    Are you drinking Emma? You are a teacher aren't you!
    Can't move legs seized up even after cold shower treatement and a huge paella made by great no2 daughter. Huge hills this afternoon and 18 miles up and down off road on the Edges of Derbyshire above Chatsworth, time for bed! Least Can watch the marathon in the morning.
  • Options

Emma image LOL

McBonkers - hahahahahah - brilliant - perfect name for our Rosiekins!

Bo - question about clubs - why would it be wrong?  Makes sense to us - no point belonging to a club if you never get to see your club mates but saying that there are plenty of people out there who don't go to training but that you bump into at races.  I can understand that you'd enjoy the social side of it all though - not sure why I get that impression... image  I'm sure they'd understand!

*waves to Anthony* - that's the million dollar question at the moment - seems we're all agreed on keeping a thread going but can't seem to decide on its renaming - we'll get there!  Sounds like you're progressing brilliantly - welcome on board the everyone-can-still-learn-something train! image

• Options

mcs - I did have a glass of wine but didn't enjoy it - a sad teetotaler it looks like now - apart from champagne at the end of races!

Genuinely don't understand my alleged earlier post! Yeas mcs I am a teacher for my sins - work is mad at the moment. Roll on all coursework being signed off!image

Name ... mmmm... ' the road from Paris', Aurevoir Paris - what happemed next' mmmm brain dead now!

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to the VLM first timers!!! So proud of you all!!! Thank you for letting me and others share your journeys...

Anthony: thanks for the comments and catching up. Congratulations on your progress, isn't it amazing how good it can make you feel? We are going to start another thread at some point becuase there are a number of conversations going on. Well done and what did you think of the video??? My advice is follow a plan, ask on here for help if you need it and continue to enjoy running. It's why we do it.

Might go for 6 slow tomorrow and start building my mileage back up... Feeling lazy now and the weight is going back on.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Don't rush to up the mileage Craig, and don't start speedwork too soon. There's no big hurry - almost a year to Brighton image

One day's recovery for each mile of a race = 26 days recovery. The body needs time to repair. Well, at least mine certainly does image
  • Options

I'm with Tenjiso - didn't Sam say no more than 40 minutes for recovery?

I just had a Rosie moment - my planned 14 mile route turned out to be 16¼ miles - cruised round powered by a caffeine zipvit that I decided to road test - for the record - the cherry cola flavour is gopping compared to the blackcurrant! (Gopping = not good!)  It worked a treat though - will be using them from now on!

How cool was the coverage this morning - well done everyone - kept welling up watching it - very proud to be British and totally inspired! 

Have you made it off the sofa at all today Craig? image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    SB - I'm taking zipvit blackcurrent with me for my marathon. They have the highest carb content and I preferred them to other gels I tried.

I was getting butterflies in the stomach watching the mass start today. I watched the VLM finish line cameras for an hour after normal coverage, until I had to go out image I hope the weather is as good next week - but it's looking grim at the moment image Still, they forecast it wrong for London, so there's hope.
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Good point guys. Gonna take it easy for a while. I used the blackcurrant ones at Paris, great things... Ten: helps if you leave off the coffee/coke for a few days too!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I've got the non-caffeine gels. With the amount of tea/coffee I consume, I would have to lay-off for months to make a difference image

• Options
    Ah, coffee - right, kettle on - slip a sugar in as part of recovery drink after my 13 miler just done (managed to avoid the downpours)
  • Options

Hello all

Thank you for all your support, VLM did go as planned, it was very hot, felt rough from mile 8 but picked up a bit from mile 17. Finished in 5.31.36, no where near the sub 5 I wanted..but pleased to have got round! Iwll catch up later...of to work nowimage

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    MWW: I'm off to work too booooo and well done!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Congratulations MWW - you did it!

It takes some guts to push on when things aren't going to plan, so don't beat yourself up about the target. Have a well deserved rest now and put your medal in a prominent place.
  • Options

Hello all.

VLM done and a Sub 4!! (3:59:24). Completely steady splits but hard work the whole way. Stiff++ today

Thanks esp to Ruth and Sam for advice and to all of the rest of you for support

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Well done kevster!
  • Options
    Well done Kevster! That's great work - steady splits and a sub 4 time on your first marathon. Enjoy the recovery now. And don't be surprised if you feel a little flat for a couple of days - it's very normal. I guess it's just where you need to rebuilt your mental energy that's been expended on reaching a target...

So glad the weather stayed good - look at it today!
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Well done Kevster! Bet you are over the moon!

BTW, shown my work colleges the video and they are very impressed with the work you've done on me Sam.... Thank you, again.
  • Options
    Kevster - great run!

I went for the give it away and ave it in the last 10K option and it fell apart on the Isle of Dogs where I didn't have the energy to fight my way through the throng, hung in at the equally slower peace, and convinced myself I would go for it from 20, but was almost 5 mins down on 3 hours by then, mile 24-5 was incredibly long, kept it steady rather than giving up as I have done before [my only sub 4 came when I did dodge and weave round IofD]...came in at 4:06:53, was not happy with that initially, but REALLY enjoyed the first 14 miles until Narrow St pretty much.

And then I realised it could maybe have been 10 mins worse had I done my usual!

I'm thinking that my First schedule [3 quality sessions/week] has been useful in that I have run in training at much faster paces than I would normally, and that this translated into a fast half along the way, but two thoughts - normally / before I would do a lot more cross training, up to 3 Aqua Jogs of say 1,2,3 hours in the week, and so maybe my base fitness was lacking. With First you do 2 or 3 short intense XT sessions .

I also did loads of Pilates for the first time this year though; and was out for 10 days with my foot.

Obviously my other thought is that maybe I did too much!

A HUGE issue for me is the nausea afterwards - I was OK by 10pm, but from 2-10 was so dodgy, waves of not knowing if I was going to pass out or throw up or what. I am sugar sensitive so I always have an immediate substantial shake when I finish [pack it frozen], constant grazing on pistachios etc too.

The good news is that legs are fine today, a slight twinge behind right knee and in right hip, but stairs no problem, didn't need to roll out of bed onto a pile of towels like after my first!

Craig if you're reading I still did think of you and AVE it on the Mall!!

• Options

Kevster- MWW-Reiki

Well done to all 3 of you and all in different ways and with different race challenges.  Enjoy your recoveries and hold the good memories.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Today I did 1m jog; 8 x 200m fast / 200m recovery; 1m jog (4 miles in total). It felt very easy. It is the first time I've ever seen my average heart rate higher in the recovery intervals than in the sprints themselves! Bit of lag there, I guess. My heart rate was consistent, though, throughout the intervals.

Six more training miles left before the big one image

My car started playing up last night. The windscreen wipers, interior lights and internal alarm were intermittently starting on their own while the ignition was off!?? It's not a good sign when the mechanic looks more puzzled than me! Must be sorted out before the weekend!!!!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Well done Reiki! Rather than let it all go pear-shaped, it looks like you held it together well over the last 10k. Good going!
  • Options
    Thanks again all. I was about 100 yards behind the runners world 9 min mile pacer. Tried to catch them but truly impossible to get to through the crowds with dodging etc Thanks for the marker though runners world
  • Options
    Hey there. I'm alive and happy image. Managed to get rounding 5:21 and pretty pleased with that. Did quite steady pace up to mile 20 and them it really got hard with quite a lot of walk gaps between jogging to get through the last 6...but then the last stretch after turning onto the mall to the finish must have been the fastest but...absolutely amazing atmosphere and seemed to drag out a massive burst of adrenaline from somewhere. And didn't realise how emotional it would be...crying as I crossed the line with just pure elation. Amazing amazing day. Now very sore and worst luck had to travel to a sales pitch this morning! Well done all!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Well done Louisa. I bet you didn't get through your sales pitch without mentioning the marathon image
  • Options
    Whoop whoops all round!  You're all stars! You'd get a whoop from me just for surviving the toilet queues - I would just be a nervous wreck faced with those crowds! imageimageimage
  • Options

Well done to all you VLM finishers a real achievement. image

ENJOYED the videos of Paris very professional and no tears!!! SHame........all very cool............well done!!image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I've just had the quote to fix my car.... £750 !!!! Not impressed. imageimageimage

I just hope it is fixed before the weekend!!!!!