Options

BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

That has to be the worse conditions I've ever done a race in, quite the opposite from London last week

It poured down from start to finish with strong winds and a bit of sleeet thrown in for good measure, there was a lot of open spaces where you nearly got blown off your feet.

Apart from the weather it's a cracking flat course, the baggage pick up at the end was a complete shambles, people were queuing in the freezing cold, fortunately I finished near the front so I got mine straight away,2.56.56( sorry TD)

Right I can concentrate on Berlin nowimage

• Options
    Cracking time Jonah especially with the conditions. Well done
  • Options

Great time Jonah8! It's been horrible out there today.

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Jonah8
    Sorry to ask this question but what did you wear to race in given the conditions?

• Options
    I expect Nike Galloshes! Well done Jonah, a toughie for sure!
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

awesome run Jonah! Your namesake and avatar are a clue to your success I think

• Options
    Wowsers Jonah - congrats on such a tough day!

Iain
  • Options

KW- A vest and shorts, with hindsight I would of worn a long sleeved t-shirt, It went through my mind whilst running them arm warmer things wouldn't have gone a miss, but a little posy for me.

Honestly I've never experienced anything quite like it.

The race is getting a bashing at the moment but it was only a baggage tent which let it down.

Force myself to have a few days rest then bring on Berlin....................

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    So not even a cap and gloves! Hardcore or what.
  • Options
    KW- No just daft!!!!
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Anyone got any idea how Quays Runner did?
  • Options

Here's a link to the race photos, to be honest they don't do the weather justice, it was a lot worse

Number 240

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/home.py

I'll let QR tell you his time.

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    MK marathon for me and it was awful, running around redways that where flooded, endless drops and climbs from underpasses, open paths along exposed lakes where the wind was bad, even lost a shoe in a muddy puddle - just backed off and wanted to finish to protect my injured calf, a slow 3:50 for me and absolutely freezing. Bring on Berlin image
  • Options

TD-Thanks for asking. Am doing 30-35 miles/wk now without injury, hoping to get to 40/wk in next few weeks. then will need to figure out what kind of training structure to adopt for Berlin. 55miles/wk, 5 days/wk called for in P&D maybe too much for me.

Question is, for the likes of me, who can handle up to 45-50miles/wk, can we adopt some variations of 'P&D-lite' by cutting out some runs and still be quite effective? if so, what to drop?

I read through all the earlier posts here. Great respect for those started running in late 30s/40s, and setting impresseive PBs.

Andy/Jonah-very unkind weather for you in Manchester. Hope that set you up to storm Berlin.      

• Options
    P+D has arrived.

Holy smoke, I have a lot to learn!
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Iain I aspire to be good enough to use a P&D schedule...but it's still the book I keep coming back to when I want to know about something.

Andy/Jonah - top efforts yesterday in what sound like pretty dire conditions. Hope you're taking a very well deserved few days off!
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Fair play for sticking with it Andy... Not sure I would have bothered especially if nursing an injury. I'm a bit partial to running on a rainy day but that sounds horrendous!

Assee - I would think if you were going to skip any runs, skipping recovery runs would be best and substituting them with rest instead. Other runs are so specific to endurance or speed that I personally wouldnt skip them. What do others think?

Iain - welcome to geekdom
  • Options

Just done my first Marathon - The London, at 57 !

Next stop Europe. Is the Berlin one suitable for an old beginner like me ? or would I be a "fish out of water " ?

• Options
    P+D is the bible

Can anyone help me on this as I can find no info on the Berlin marathon site. What way do the start pens work or is there no such thing? I can't remember on the registration if I put a time or not on it as it was last October before I even ran my first marathon. Would like to go for sub 3.30 as I got 3:30:42 in Paris a few weeks back.
  • Options

Johnas-thanks for your suggestions. I'll play around with the P&D schedule, omitting recovery runs, juggle around to cap at 45-50mile week. THB I'm unsure about benefits of  'recovery run' versus the added impact stresses it exerts on my body. Any wise comments from anyone?

Peter P-Huge congrats to you! Salute! Looks like you could keep setting PBs into your 60s by following paths of likes of others on this thread.

Colin, I remeber the registration asked for previous Mara time. Presumably this may be used to assign start pen? Anyone who knows for sure can confirm? 

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

no probs assee - I wouldn't omit every recovery run but IF you were looking to lose the odd run, those would be the ones I'd choose. Obv most plans have them in as they are important as they flush the system after a session and of course add to mileage volume. Another alternative could be to listen to your body and choose your weekly runs on how you feel - it works for the Kenyans! 

re: starting pens i found this from 2011

"You will be notified of your allotted starting pen by the real,-Berlin Marathon Race Organisers. The start will be divided into 8 designated blocks according to the personal best times submitted. The letters A – H on your race number show which block you are to go to. All runners who are participating in their first marathon will probably be in the last block. Please follow the helpers’ instructions to assure a smooth start."

• Options
    PD is the bible??? Nah.

Jack Daniels.

;)
  • Options
    Hey guys and girls, sorry for not checking in, Sunday was bracing. I was a little underdresssed for the occasion and stopping to tie my laces at mile 20 was interesting and cost me about 80 seconds on that mile, my hands were cramping and I wasn't near any spectators to ask to help. When they came undone again at 23 miles I just lived with it.

Did 3.46.25, my last 6 mile block was the fastest and ran a slight negative split of about 1.54/1.52 give or take and don't feel sore at all bar one very localised area on my right shin which i might have to go the hospital about. It's right where I've been pinned and plated and super localised so can't be the muscle I don't think bit hoping it wears off over the next couple of days.

So 2 weeks off then three weeks on holiday before I start again for Berlin, did an average of 27 miles a week for this one bit hope to do about 40 a week for Berlin. It was sensible for me to do that as I was going from nothing before starting Manchester training in January, I'm sure I could cope with 40 miles now? Or is that too ambitious? Still very much a beginner with this, Manchester was my third race.

Can I ask another question please, I filled the form in, paid my money and all I've ever had back is one email way back when. Is everyone else the same? Can i now email them my time from the weekend?
  • Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Yes that is all I have had. I too was wondering about seeing what time I had predicted in order to check if it needed adjusting. Generally though, I find that these European marathons sort themselves out and are organised very well.
  • Options
    Agree KW. Organisation is incredible at Berlin.
  • Options
    Johnas wrote (see)
    Fair play for sticking with it Andy... Not sure I would have bothered especially if nursing an injury. I'm a bit partial to running on a rainy day but that sounds horrendous! Assee - I would think if you were going to skip any runs, skipping recovery runs would be best and substituting them with rest instead. Other runs are so specific to endurance or speed that I personally wouldnt skip them. What do others think? Iain - welcome to geekdom

Assee - I fully agree with everythying Johnas has said about what runs to skip if you want to lighten up a P&D schedule. Full rest is a good swap out for a recovery run (but that being said, they are so easy and relatively short to do that you might actually be able to fit them in....?).

Jimbojet wrote (see)
    PD is the bible??? Nah. Jack Daniels. image

Nah, The Bible is the Bible. Running Formula is a book about running. His VDOT system is very valuable though and a great explanation about training stress and adaptation. Every runner should know that stuff that Daniels makes so clear.

My news today; am just back from Sports Doc. Seems I was right (in my self-diagnosis) that I have two problems in the one knee area. First is probably just recurring tightness from hamstrings. Second is either ligament or meniscus damage. Have to go back next week for an MRI scan to assess whether physio or surgery is the route for treatment. Am allowed to run in between. Pretty much what I thought would happen. My suspicion is that surgery will be required. I can feel it is that sort of pain. What will be will be. And it may be that I am going to turn up in Berlin to take photographs...

• Options
    TD, they could remove your knee and you'd still get round Berlin quicker than me!

Seriously though, I hope it's sorted quickly. I hope the MRI is better than you're expecting.

Iain
  • Options

I've booked my tickets, finally, they were getting expensive! So I'm arriving early on Friday morning, so that I have plenty of time to collect race pack from teh expo. From memory, they close at 5.30pm on Friday and are not open on Saturday. Happy to help if someone needs theirs collecting!

P&D is great, I'll start the 18 week high mileage schedule on 9th June, so a week after Stockholm, will just knock the first week off the schedule. The "medium-long" runs are pretty long, but perfectly doable after work, I guess. Maybe even before, will have to experiment on a day when it doesn't matter if I'm useless at work.

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    grimrunner - don't they open the Expo on Saturday image - flying out friday too so will have to rush straight there from the airport. Just bought my Advanced Marathoning book to try and get as close to that 3 hour mark as possible image
  • Options

Expo is definitely open on Saturday. No need to panic anyone!

Thanks Iain, even if it's not true what you say (getting round quicker). Mind you, the disabled athletes who run marathons with the carbon-fibre Leopard's Feet, they have no knee flex and have to do a kind of waddle gait. Having come across them in maras before, they need a lot of 'leg room' to get past. Anyway, fingers crossed about the knee.