Options

BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Sorry Leisa, and Richard and Lucy if you are lurking. It was my birthday yesterday and Mrs KW went to the trouble of sorting this out.

/members/images/522703/Gallery/Image_1.jpg

I was really chuffed with it.

• Options
    Johnas - Frankfurt is a great town, the marathon will be top. I'm not convinced the stunning expense of the US marathons are worth it, in these strapped times. However if I were to go for one, I'd go for Chicago first...

RFME - great site, great effort and great cause. Sorry didn't get to meet up - brilliant to have that medal collection!

KW - great effort. Also great to see Sunderland represented in there!
  • Options

RFME my Mrs ordered the medal mounting kit from the internet. She told me it was an absolute bargain compared to what they charge at marathon photo etc. If you need the details I will get them from her. I have to say its one of the best presents I've ever had. No more throwing the medals into the running kit draw.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday KW! That's an awesome present and a great way to desiplay the achievements.

IM - Thanks for nothing mate... You're about as useful as a chocolate teapot in my decision making process lol! image

RFME - I want your collection! *Wanders off to check cost of chicago flights*

• Options
    ADG wrote (see)

I've no idea on which to do next, rejection letter for London so thinking of another Euro trip...I hear good things about Rotterdam, or Rome...Tokyo now that would be some trip

ADG - I can confirm that Rome is a fun place to run a mara - I gave it a crack earlier this year. The course has chjanged quite a bit and the first half was very windy with lots of right-angled turns that I found to be quite tiring and i certainly wouldn't call it a PB course.

There's also a huge amount of cobbles and even though they are not heavily rounded (ankle twisters), the condition of the underlying pavement is really bad so there are lots of undulations, big dips in the surface, which again makes constant, energy-efficient high-speed running quite a challenge. But you do get to finish alongside the Colliseum which is pretty special.

If none of you have tried it, Paris Marathon is fantastic. Have done it 4 times now and I love it. Normally first Sunday in April, registration takes about 6-7 weeks to fill up and they are taking bookings from Wednesday 17th october. The sooner you book, the cheaper it is.

• Options

Leisa - know how you feel about seconds - my first marathon was london at 4:00:11s - looking back if i had dipped under 4hours i may have never run another as it was all just a bit of fun at the time, but on the way home those 11 seconds ate away at me that by the time i got home i was signing up to another straight away - now three years later i am trying to knock 6minutes off to go sub 3 - its all possible.

Johnas - in the same situation - want to finish the majors now i have the time but its the costs - and i want to get those last 6 minutes so do i do berlin again and give it a shot as its obviosuly one of the best places to do it. Problem is the kids want to come to all the races and watch and if its Europe its not too bad but the US with the flight costs is crazy. I have two yeears before 40 and said either NY or Boston before then now i have my Boston time, decisons....image

• Options
    Andy - you're in the form of your life. When else will you get the Boston chance? I suspect you're talking 2014? If so, that'll give you time to save so the family can also come! NYC is non-elitist - it can wait until your (and my) 40s!

Johnas - sorry dude. I see it simply as economics then - they'd both be great. Eggy (from Paris thread) has just done Chicago and gives good feedback. Also, the US is special. But so's Europe. And it's simply going to be more affordable with/without the family. I can't think there are many better marathon atmospheres than Berlin so I'll hope to go back there - but Frankfurt also gets a great name and it's on my list for the future.

Clear as mud, yeah?!
  • Options

I've done 5 majors....3 berlin 2 london! I dont fancy my chances of getting into the US I've heard passport control is pretty strict! And have you seen Homeland? It's pretty screwed up over there!

• Options

BB - agree with that having just spent 2 hours on the ESTA forms to get in for Florida in three weeks and i also know that despite that i will still have hours of waiting at Homeland image

Think the aim is going to be Boston in 2014 - have said that NY is just going to be fun rather than for a time so it can wait. Chicago intrigues me though - is it such a fast course? Think i may do one us course each year over the coming three years. Just can't resist doing Berlin again next year.image

Been trying those calf guards over the last few runs and it does seem positive, legs felt really solid if a little tight on occasions but initial signs are good.

• Options

Leisa - I'm not going to ask you your age, but I strongly doubt from your picture that you're anywhere near 50!  In cracking shape.  Glad you enjoyed the blog post!

Johnas - thanks, I hope so!  What is your next target timewise?  I imagine it's hard even to take a minute or two off at your speed now?

IM - yeah I'd thought about Frankfurt as well.  Probably for another year.  I'll definitely be back in Berlin though too.  Too many dreams, not enough money (or time)...

RFME - that's a lovely collection of medals.  Get a nice mount like KW!

KW - brilliant.  I've been trying to mock up something similar but interesting to hear there's a kit available.  For now I've got some of my race numbers up.  Hope to replace the half mara number with a 3rd marathon number in the not too distant future!

/members/images/665292/Gallery/2012-10-09_18.21.38.jpg

• Options
    andyc209 wrote (see)

Leisa - know how you feel about seconds - my first marathon was london at 4:00:11s - looking back if i had dipped under 4hours i may have never run another as it was all just a bit of fun at the time, but on the way home those 11 seconds ate away at me that by the time i got home i was signing up to another straight away - now three years later i am trying to knock 6minutes off to go sub 3 - its all possible.

Thanks Andy.  I know what you mean.  My last marathon (1st) was 4:42 so I felt I had unfinished business with marathons until I got sub 4:30.  Now, I want sub 4:00.  There's just no pleasing some people....image

andyc209 wrote (see)

BB - agree with that having just spent 2 hours on the ESTA forms to get in for Florida in three weeks and i also know that despite that i will still have hours of waiting at Homeland image

Your doing the Wine and Dine half marathon, right?  Hopefully see you there!  I am also doing that. image

RFME wrote (see)

Leisa, are you located here (USA) or just a frequent flyer? Don't know much about the Monster Dash but I have done Falmouth RR three times and it is rated as one of the most beautiful races in the US. Hard to get in (very tough lottery) but the same race is also run in the fall (Falmouth In The Fall) and this year is Nov 4th. MUCH cooler and cheaper too at $15! Contact me if you come in town. image    

/members/images/722060/Gallery/The_Five_Marathon_Majors_640K.jpg

So jealous of your medals too!  Ooh, I want a Boston medal. image

I have just bought a house in Falmouth so I will be getting guaranteed entry for the Falmouth Road Races as a resident. image I did the race this year and it was incredibly hot!  Let me know if you need a bib number.  I live in the UK.  Cant do the Fall race as I will be in Florida but will be in Falmouth later this month.

strunner wrote (see)

Leisa - I'm not going to ask you your age, but I strongly doubt from your picture that you're anywhere near 50!  In cracking shape.  Glad you enjoyed the blog post!

Teehee!  Thanks Strunner!  46 in January so just going to get slower every year.  Going to work hard now to get a sub 3:55 to qualify for Boston.

This was my shadow box from NYC and I am trying to make my own this year.  Will post a picture when I have finished.

/members/images/367110/Gallery/photo.JPG

&nbsp

• Options

medals and numbers i keep all mine in an old choccie biccie tin, its absolutely rammed full of them, but best of all i still get a hit of chocolate when i open the lid...however it is now mingled with old sweat from the race numbers!

• Options

BB-sounds like where mine are -all in a tin in my daughters room - she likes to use them for girly 'dress up'! I know when i need to do another race when she asks if I have any more medals for her tin! 

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Clear as mud, yeah?!

haha - erm, yeah. I'm currently in the position of no kids so if there's anytime I can afford to do the 'Majors' now is as good as any!

strunner wrote (see)

Johnas - thanks, I hope so!  What is your next target timewise?  I imagine it's hard even to take a minute or two off at your speed now?

I bl**dy hope not. Bearing in mind Berlin was only my 2nd marathon and I knocked 7 mins off my first attempt, I do like to think I got some way to go yet. Target now is sub 2.45 in London.

• Options

I'm certain you will smash your pb in London. 

• Options

Johnas - I have missed this detail somewhere along the line!  I thought you'd been at this game for years and had gradually cut your time down.  Makes it all the more impressive!

• Options

No he's a jonny come lately image. He did a bit of national school boy running in the past though so it's not a completely untapped talent. 

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

KW is right Strunner - usual case of teen spirit and high jinxs being much more attractive by the age of 16. Isn't it funny how we all revert back to some hobby of our 'yoof' when we hit our 30s though!

BTW - aren't some of you doing marathons this/next week? If so, best of luck to you all!

• Options

i do think back to the amount of times i tried to get out of Cross Country at school despite being pretty good because I hated running on cold winter mornings....how times change. If only my old PE teacher could see me know image, but it has put paid to my golf career.

• Options
    I think the PE teachers could have tried a bit harder to explain how good it was for you, both in mind, body and spirit. They could have mentioned that it was unimportant what position you came and that everyone was capable of significant improvement.

Then again I don't suppose they knew back then that the world was about to get very fat.
  • Options
    KW - also, even if they'd explained, do you think that we'd have listened?!

Johnas - I've no kids either but still not the cash for the majors, but remain interested in Chicago. In 2014 - need to get Berlin out of my system!
  • Options

Iain - think Chicago in 2014 might be the race of choice for a few of us - might double up with Boston earlier in the year - No family holiday that year kids! image

I used to go to a school which has produced a large number of international rugby players (Austin Healy was one) and looking back if you were not in that 'special group'  the PE teacher would never really give you a second thought - there was no encouragement to improve as you say. Sometimes i meet old school pals who are amazed at what i have done at these marathons and the usual phrase - "would never have thought it" - comes out, like you say sometimes there are hidden talents in people that are never coaxed out of them at that early age. This is why i am becoming Tiger Woods' dad MK2 with my girl, she is a great runner already aged 6 so i am not going to let her fall by the wayside.

• Options
    I'm looking at Berlin for 2013 and Chicago for 2014 as a way of celebrating my 40th that year. Still haven't run since Berlin! All I have to my name is 2 Spin classes and 1 Bodybalance with a Bodycombat class tonight. Entries open for Berlin 2 weeks today!
  • Options

when is the Berlin one then? and how long? full or half?

• Options

think that is the same as me David

Brighton and Berlin 2013

Boston and Chicago 2014

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

IM - well, with Chicago in Oct 2013, that gives me a whole year to save up. will prob just go on my own tbh and fly back after a couple of days. As much as I enjoyed Berlin, I cant see myself doing the same marathons - am looking at spring and autumn marathons for the next few years.

David - I've only ran about 8 miles since Berlin and all at slower than 8 min miling. Got a half marathon this weekend that'll be interesting! Going to pace a mate round and enjoy watching our club pick up the county champs title for the 5th year running.

Jaclyn - David is refering to the marathon. Entries open on 25th Oct and race is 29th Sept 2013. details here

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

ideal (maybe dreaming!) plan for me

London & Chicago 2013

Boston & NYC 2014

• Options

Johnas - that's going to be a great couple of years!

David - my 3 runs so far have been hampered by family illness and hospital runs but I've felt pretty ok when running at my half marathon pace - with stops for stretching. I had been planning a 10k trail run next weekend but think that's out. 

All being well however, my plan for the next 2 years matches your, hopefully, with Berlin (3rd time lucky!) in 2013 and Chicago potentially pencilled in for 2014. Also - I don't think I've done 2 spin classess this year...!

• Options

sounds like an influx of us hitting the USA over the coming years image

• Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭

looks like we're all moving on...just posting to say thanks to all posters here for your company on the journey to Berlin 2012...it's been a blast image well done!