Options

Humdrum heaven

Comments

• Options
    I broke my favourite Brewdog pint glass this morning image it was a free one from when I worked at the pub but even so...I liked it. pah.
  • Options

Annoying mima

I can't send any texts, even though my phone has signal image

• Options
    right humdrumers, I'm off to bed with netfix to watch Star Trek. The best thing to come out of today. Other than the halloumi.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Today has been a washout weather-wise. Foul. Inspired by the pie awards link earlier, I had for dinner ... a pie. With mashed potatoes and roast onions. It was fab. A Fray Bentos pie but still fab. I thought I'd reward myself for cleaning the bath and the kitchen sink.
  • Options
    Mingo I've looked at the sourdough recipe, what on earth is starter and why would it be in your fridge? Exciting lunch in one of my favourite restaurants today with a client, so taking it back down a notch tonight and working on a tender response.
  • Options
    Sourdough is when you make bread using a culture (sometimes called a starter)made from flour and water and the natural yeasts found on the flour, rather than commercial yeast. As part of the process of feeding and maintaining the culture you discard part of it (called discard). Some people, if they don't want to maintain their starter every day will keep it in the fridge to slow things down...and they might forget about it. I bake with my starter regularly so I don't keep it in the fridge, but I do keep the discard, and that is what I use for the sourdough crumpets. Although sourdough is becoming more popular again, not a lot of people bake with it, which is why I posted another recipe that uses the more common commercial yeast.

If you have an interest in sourdough baking, send me a message and I can tell you more about it. I eat sourdough bread because I can't digest commercial yeast very well and it makes me very bloated. I find that sourdough doesn't have the same effect. I decided to start making it myself when I discovered that our local artisan baker charges £7.50 for a loaf!
  • Options

mingo that is not humdrum, it sounds great image

I've been unhumdrum too by having a chicken sandwich for breakfast, but not with hummus today. 

I've renewed my library books on line.

Muttley I think pie and mash sounds like a good supper option, no onions for me thanks.

• Options
    Mingo, I feel learned. All out of oats so Shreddies for breakfast, awful. Should have had a pie, not so sure about a chicken sandwich beebs you crazy cat.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

She's a racy one that Beebs, eh?

Right. The weather is still not good, might don my pinny again for another day of domestic bliss. Mashed potato left over from yesterday, so if I buy a little cabbage or a few sprouts I can do bubble and squeak for tonight's comestibles. Sounds like a plan.

£7.50 a loaf image

• Options

lol Kate

Muttley if you could pop round and do some chores here too I'd appreciate it and it means I can get on with my knitting. 

• Options

Bah...very unhumdrum with chicken sandwiches for breakfast! I could have excused jam...even Marmite. But chicken? Pah. 3 hail mary's please Beebs image

Still grey and threatening in North Yorks - but I'm a bit happier and less pukey feeling so it can only get better. Sorry for the grumpus yesterday.

• Options

It was sitting in a plastic box looking feeble and I just thought, go crazy and eat it.

Would it help make ammends if I had a bowl of cereal for lunch or is that getting too mixed up image

• Options
    Now Beebs...I would suggest a lie down in a dark room...this is just getting out of hand. I might allow (just for today) cereal for lunch. We shall not speak of this again....image
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I had dim sum for dinner last night.  I don't think I'll bother with it again. 

My crappy cheap umbrella failed completely on the way home and I got soaked image

Staying in would definitely have been the better option!

I would really like some nicer weather soon.

• Options

mima image I shall hold my counsel.

Wilkie we had brief sunshine but now its windy and rainy again. 

• Options

Wilkie - an american friend of mine RAVES about dim sum....what is it?? Like Chinese tapas? Or am I completely wrong?

Same here with the weather - considering building a RW ark and floating around collecting humdrumers and mundanites two by two...

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Like the idea of the ark image

• Options
    Mmmm, dim sum. I did think about ark building this morning on my run, I was a bit worried when I saw animals on their own though, it would be preferable if they were pairing up already. I think the snail and slug could probably get together and sneak through the officer on the door if the snail pretended his shell was a backpack full of chicken sandwiches.
  • Options
    KateF wrote (see)
    Mmmm, dim sum. I did think about ark building this morning on my run, I was a bit worried when I saw animals on their own though, it would be preferable if they were pairing up already. I think the snail and slug could probably get together and sneak through the officer on the door if the snail pretended his shell was a backpack full of chicken sandwiches.
    Kate...that made me giggle out loud! Love how your brain works!!
  • Options
    The animals went in 2 by 2 de dum de dum image
  • Options
    One of the contestants from Pop Master was from the place I live, I don't know her though.
  • Options
    Cucumber does not make a good dipping implement for cottage cheese. I have just found this out. To my desk's detriment.image
  • Options
    Cottage cheese is vile anyway, just eat the cucumber image
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    mimaduck wrote (see)

Wilkie - an american friend of mine RAVES about dim sum....what is it?? Like Chinese tapas? Or am I completely wrong?

There were three types, first course was three little spring rolls, and a baked roll with some sauce to dip them in.

Then there were some steamed ones, different shapes, colours and fillings - maybe half a dozen - and a small amount of sticky rice..

They were all OK, but nothing to write home about.  And not generous portions, I could have eaten twice as much!

It was clearly very popular, as we were leaving the place was heaving and people were queuing.

• Options

I'm weird, I like it! Mix it with tomatoes and heat up for a pasta sauce...yummy!

Hmmm sounds like tapas for tiny people! I eat like a horse...if horses ate cottage cheese!

• Options

mima that sounds image

Its the texture I hate as much as anything.

• Options
    Wilkie - was this a Ping Pong restaurant? Dim sum can be great, but it can be mediocre too, it really does depend on who is making it.

I had an oaty bagel and chocolate philly for breakfast (about twenty minutes ago), it's just been one of those mornings.

I'm getting fed up of the twice daily soaking as I dash across waterloo bridge. I was also surprised that all the fence panels were still standing this morning, blowing a hoolie last night.

I hope you have a fried egg on your bubble and squeak Muttley.

It's our wedding anniversary today, so we're pushing the boat out and having steak. Om nom nom nom.

Mima - if you heat up cottage cheese do the lumps melt away? I'm scared to try it in recipes because ever since an incident with some curdled milk I have a bit of a thing about lumpy dairy produce.
  • Options

mingo...if you dislike lumpy dairy produce...never never make custard with buttermilk...uck.

It is like eating wall paper paste with added sawdustimage

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary mingo image

Not sure about heated cottage cheese!

• Options

Beebs - LOL!! I know, it sounds vile but it was a baby food recipe my mum dreamt up when my brothers' were tiny and in the weaning stages...she used to mush it up for them. I have some weird food likes and loathes! Bananas...cannot deal with them in their whole form (lke you, texture is an issue) but in a smoothie I'm happy.

Mingo - nope it stays as it is, I think I prefer it that way. But as we have established I am weird. On a similar dairy based theme I have more halloumi for tea tonight...squeaky teeth cheese image And Happy Anniversary!! ooh steak....yummy!