Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Breakfast starts at 7 here. Cutting it a little bit fine. Don't care about the weather anymore. It is what it is!!!!!

May I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow!!! Lets make sure we all post our stories good or bad on here tomorrow image peace out.
  • Options
    Race pack collected, gear all ready and laid out in hotel room. Now just have to kill some hours in this little hotel room!

I taking headphones with the intention of using them if and when I have a tough patch.
  • Options
    Race pack all done, drinks made up/gels ready. Out for dinner soon.

Good luck everyone u all deserve a good run.

Weather is going to b perfect, u r going to run the best u have ever run, bring it on!!!!
  • Options

Am watching Spiderman with my kids and doing some serious carb-loading!

Re headphones - I've never run with them in a race and I actually disapprove of it, but a blast of music really helped me on my last 20-mile run, so I'm going to take my ipod for the latter stages of the race where there might be fewer spectators. In fact I'm just making a playlist image

Good luick to all! I'm hoping to beat my PB of 4:59, preferably under 4:30, but that will take a perfect run. Hope we all have a fantastic day image

• Options

Good luck everyone for tomorrow! Sure you'll all do fab and look forward to hearing all about your pb's image

• Options

Headphones in a big race are antisocial and dangerous, there is a reason why they are banned at Brighton - come on folks, how can you be aware of your fellow runners when you have music in your ears.  If you can't run without them, Brighton shouldn't be your race.  Sorry, pet hate, rant over.

• Options
    I'm running with headphones. Brighton actually state they strongly recommend not ban. Sorry if its a pet hate to people but its just the way I run!

Good luck everyone tomorrow this forum has been a real lifesaver!
  • Options
    I'm with Chutney again. You need to be aware of what's around you, especially in a race this size. You may not care about missing instructions/atmosphere but you are far more likely to cut across someone if you can't hear them overtaking or behind you image
  • Options

People please please dont wear ipod / mp3 the supporters chearing people on, as well as other runners.

So dissapointing to see other runners wearing mp3 earphones.... sorry rant over off my chest now  image

• Options

On another note - got my number at 7.45pm and no one there - dead. I was the only person (maybe one other) collecting their number.

Best of luck everyone for tomorrow - i think we could have a good day.

• Options
    Ditch the heaphones and soak up the atmosphere.
  • Options

When I'm training alone, I need music to keep me going, but in races it's so different.

I wore headphones for the last 2 years, and never ended up using them.

If you ever find yourself struggling for motivation, just lift your hands and request a loud cheer - you won't need to try very hard. The crowd support rivals London for a lot of the course.

• Options
    Last post for me...GOOD LUCK TO ONE AND ALL !

Over
  • Options
    Local taxi companies not taking bookings and freaking me out with their comments about how awful the traffic is gonna be! Staying at a b&b in Kemp Town area - am hoping to get a taxi at 7.30am, can any locals tell me if that will be time enough to get there for around 8? Help!!!!!
  • Options

Evening all

Very nice to meet Jellybaby and O/H, Picklelilly, Tenjiso, Lombstar and O/H and Kathy at the travel lodge today Green fairy hope the chest infection doesn’t get worse and you’re on the start line tomorrow

just sorting our running gear ready for tomorrow will wear shorts and a t-shirt up to the start but take warmer clothes just in case the weather not what they say it’s going to be

Good to all may your race go as planned and may the time you get be the one you want

• Options

DiogoDog: Not a local but from past experiance not even slightly. Traffic horrible and roads are closed from 7am. Might need to think of leaving much earlier.

• Options

All running gear sorted for tomorrow and number pinned to vest, just got to set alarm for morning to make sure it wakes me up in time to eat breakfast.

For anyone who was at expo either earlier today or yesterday afternoon and wondered whether the lady they saw wearing a Winnie the Pooh t-shirt was me, yes, I was wearing one.

It was nice meeting up with everyone earlier.  Hope everyone enjoys the day tomorrow.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Diogodog - check ou the buses as I think the night bus runs from the Kemp Town near Lidi supermarket to the Stein and then walk from there.
  • Options
    Biododog - I'd suggest ditching the taxi and walking. It'll only take 20 minutes, and it'll be a lovely stretch, time to focus, buy a coffee etc.

The very best of luck everybody, thank you for saving my family & work colleagues from marathon boredom, it's been good to use the thread to release taper talk.

Sleep well everybody.
  • Options
    Matt Southam 2 wrote (see)

When I'm training alone, I need music to keep me going, but in races it's so different.

I wore headphones for the last 2 years, and never ended up using them.

If you ever find yourself struggling for motivation, just lift your hands and request a loud cheer - you won't need to try very hard. The crowd support rivals London for a lot of the course.

I couldn't agree more, and I see music as taking the place of spectators and atmosphere on a training run. However, I was under the impression that there will be a long stretch tomorrow with no if any spectators - am I wrong?

I'm not planning to wear headphones as I agree with what you said, but I have made a last minute decision to take them just in case I need a boost on the later, lonely part. I would never dream of wearing them for any other distance.

I ran edinburgh, and there was a long quiet part of the race when I now think music might have helped... I suppose I'll take them, plan not to use them and only plug in if in dire straits... not sure what to do now!

• Options
    Headphones or no headphones; isn't top advice always to not change your plans on marathon day? Isn't it advisable to stick with the plan?

I occasionally wear headphones, it helps me fight inner turmoil when the crowds are too daunting. That said, music is not so loud I can't hear and be aware of others around me. On an occasion once, the guy next to me was so noisy breathing that it effected my breathing, sometimes it's good to zone out and distract the mind.

I'd say, bottom line though - dont change your plan.
  • Options

You have everyright to wear headphones if you want, just as much as those who choose not to wear them.  Agree with GCE, don't change the plan!  Just make sure you can hear others though image

• Options

Strange question I know, but does anyone have a spare sports bra? I took mine out my suitcase for my last training run in Bristol, washed all my gear and forgot to put it back in the suitcase and it's now far too late to go back to get it.

If not I'll just have to run in my normal one as the expo's closed and I can't get another one.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Maybe there is a 24 hr supermarket locally that does clothes etc. it's a long shot but you might get something.
  • Options
    Travel plans amended, thanks guys. I'd rather be too early than have a heart attack before I even start running! Good luck to you all tomorrow. X
  • Options
    As mad as it might sounds, boots seemed open later. They also had a sign in the window saying 'marathon essentials upstairs'. You never know??

Also wonder if sweatshop may open earlier in the morning?
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Nice meeting you guys this evening.  Meal was tasty, though I preferred the look of the mixed grill.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.  Hope it goes well for us all.