Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Gemgem. Well done. Sounds like a lovely run. The beauty of long runs is that it's often better to maximise training effect to run the slow, so do not worry about speed. Save that for race day....

Tenjiso, nice mileage. Well done. Yes, I am running Abingdon marathon in October, so have 4 or 5 more to do before then image
  • Options

HELLO SUNSHINE!!!!

is it just me or does waking up to a sunny day make everything seem worthwhile?

Fan dabby dozy!

• Options

Hello everyone! Lots of good runs this weekend, well done to all- must be the nice weather!

I went out for another steady 2 mile run yesterday (9.30ish per mile) and really enjoyed it- am going to up one of my runs to 3 miles next week and see where I go from there image

Then today inspired by sunshine and the Tour de France, I went out for a hilly 9 mile bike ride, so I could reward myself with a sunday roast and a pint!

*waves to all*

• Options

Count me in : ) Last Marathon ever was Flora London Marathon 2000,said i never do one again.

• Options

Good running everyone. sounds like the sunshine is bringing out the best in us!

sarah, particularly good to hear you are on the mend. Good luck with next week, just remember it's "nice and easy does it"

Welcome to Julian

AGF, nice 20 miler. sounds like training is shaping up nicely for Abingdon.

My running will be taking a back seat over the next few weeks, due to other commitments. But will be looking in to see how everyone is doing.

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

morning all

i see there's some great running done this weekend gemgemx well done on the 10 miles may do 8 today but would you believe it the sun comes out and i think I'm coming down with a cold so will have to see how i feel when i get up this afternoon it my be a case of a quick 3 miles on the the treadmill

• Options

A lovely sunny morning. Think it will get hotter as the day goes on so was up before 7am for a run. Ended up doing 13 miles. loved it - lovely time to run in weather like this !!

• Options
    Yes far too hot to run now (9am)...at least after my 10 miler yesterday today is my rest day so wont have to worry about the heat. definately up early tomorrow though.
  • Options

Ran another 15 miler up on Devil's Dyke on Friday night - if nothing else all this hilly off-road running surely must make flat road running seem like a walk in the park in comparison!

• Options

Happy Monday All.

Well done to everyone for some good mileage over the last few days. I feel like a bit of a fraud struggling to do 6 slow miles and then calling myself a runner! Hopefully in the next few weeks I can increase my long run distance and my weekly mileage. I appreciate it has to be a gradual build up, but I´m frustrated at myself for loosing so much of my fitness after the last Brighton Marathon. I had promised myself that this wasn´t going to be the case and now I´m in the situation that I would love to run long but there´s no way my body will allow me. Oh well....maybe I´ll manage 7 miles next weekend! image

• Options

Morning all

Would you believe it all those weeks of training in the rain and nothing the weather warms up and i come down with a cold that left me feeling tried and drained so going have a rest week this week and see how i feel on Friday

• Options
    rest away Toby....good plan while its hot too... I didnt manage my early morning this morning....I peeked open my eyes at 6am and thought 5 more minutes and the next I know its 8.30 and too late as hubby needs to go to work!! ! Oh well I will get there. Might try this evening when its cooler.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Training in heat is a bit like training in humidity. Yes its hard, but you get a lot of adaptation for your effort. Well worth it imo, but keep the paces easy if you are struggling image

• Options

Sorry Toby, but I must admit to chuckling slightly to myself whilst reading your post. It is a bit ironic isn´t it? Get better soon. image

• Options

i just think it's my body saying look you been feeling a little run down for a couple of weeks so if your not going to rest i make you

• Options

Hope you feel better soon toby. 

I have been having a vague look at training plans so I can have an idea of where I need to be by the time the plan kicks in.  Are there any in particular that people would recommend.  Im doing 25-30 miles a week at the moment and my pace is between 9.30/10 min miles for long and about 8.30/9 on a short run.  Would love a 4-430hr marathon finish but dont want to give up playing hockey on a thursday or Saturday if i dont have to.  Other than that im lost so any help would be appreciated.

• Options
    Tillstar keep at that level until you start a plan and you will be fine. Hockey cross training on top will only help.

If in doubt in training run slower and longer and come race day you will be faster. Sounds daft, but true !!
  • Options

Hi Tillstar, I agree 100% with AGF. The level you are on is great. Certainly the mileage is more than adequate. Perhaps you may want to throw in a session of speedwork during the week eg. running on the track doing some interval sessions or just some basic fartlek on the road. Most training plans are about 16 to 18 weeks long. So if it's Brighton that you are aiming for you still have a few months at this steady base level. Then about mid December look at starting your training plan in ernest. I have found Hal Higdon's intermediate plan very good and uncomplicated. It also allows for 2 free days in the week where you could continue with your hockey if you wanted. Stick to the plan and you will be in a great position to have a very positive Brighton marathon.

• Options
    Thanks guys that's great advice! Will look up that plan Colin. Thanks again x
  • Options

imageJust under 4 miles done tonight - long downhill stretch first ran most of the way - then long uphill stretch back up power walking - then jog home.  Just over an hour - with lovely views over Ashton Court towards the end of the route - saw four hot air balloons take off.

• Options

Just back off holiday in Lake Como so fully acclimatised to this hot weather now! image We ran 9 times over 10 days (mostly to keep the weight under contol) but also because it's the most beautiful, stunning place to run. Legs feeling a little heavy today so not the best preparation for a local 10K run tomorrow evening but hey it was worth it! 

Some great running going on I see - well done everyone! 

• Options

Hi!

Poohbear that sounds like a lovely run.  I got up at 5 for a run before work was nice to be out just me and the wildlife but I think I was half asleep for most of it.  Early mornings are hard :-S

I have been looking at training programmes and have it down to two: The Hal Higdon intermediate and the one I was given by the charity I am running Brighton for.  One has more mileage in the week and overall and one has longer long runs. Which brings me to a question:

Is it better to follow a plan with more mid week (and overall) mileage or one with longer long runs?

• Options

Tillstar.

You can already run between 8:30-9 Min per mile.   If you were able to keep this up for a marathon this would be below 4hours - eg well within your target.  

This tells me that Speed is not the problem, its just the fact that you need to be able to improve your endurance so that you can keep this speed up longer.

This means that you need to do plenty of long runs and run them slowly.  The more slow long runs that you do the more your endurance will improve and you will be able to keep you faster speed up for a longer time.

You basically have 8-9 months before the race. If between now and December ( the start of your program) you get used to running twice a month for circa 150 Mins then you will start to build this endurance. Then during the last 16 weeks program you will benefit from running for circa 180-200 mins twice a month before taper. 

Outside of your long runs you can follow either of those plans...you need to do enough smaller runs so that the long run is no more than 40-50% of your average weekly mileage

In short the Long run  ( run slowly - even with occasional walk breaks if required ) is the key ingredient for a first time marathoner. If you run a plan with lots of short runs then you will get fitter but you will find it a lot harder on the day than if you have done plenty of long slow runs !!

Hope that helps

• Options
    Thank you very much AGF that's great image
  • Options

Hello all! Been out for another 2 mile plod this afternoon and it felt really good image

Was the first run since my broken foot that felt quit easy image I might make my Sunday run 3 miles steady this week and see how I get on image

*waves to all*

• Options

morning all

well still feeling under the weather so no running yet this week  Sarah well done on the 2 miles remember slow and easy building those miles up

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sarah - well done for staying disciplined in your comeback.  

FF - thanks for bringing the weather over with you! image

Tillstar - you had a good answer from AGF.  Specifity of training means that the long run is the most important run for marathon training.  If you were running 40 miles in a week, then running 8 miles for five days would not be as beneficial as a long run and a mix of shorter runs.  

I've had a cough for five days now, which is typical when I have an impeding race  image   It doesn't seem to be on the chest, so I'm still hopeful that I can continue running.  I think the warm weather must have woken up all the dormant germs!

• Options

Thanks Toby and Tenjiso! Am really enjoying being back on my feet again, it's hard to resist the temptation to ratchet my mileage up straight away but I know it's best in the long term image

Tenjiso I hope you still manage to run! If it hasn't settled on your chest that's good image

• Options

Well an acceptable 48:24 for the 10k last night - I'm really pleased as I had clocked up alot of miles on holiday (50+ over nine days) so pretty good to say I had heavy legs.  I'm also consistently getting sub 50mins for 10K which was my target for this year.

Sarah M, I'm sure your patience will pay off in the end. 

AGF, thanks for the post, really helpful as I never really understood the importance of long slow miles - it all makes sense now. 

I'm having a rest day today and may do some cross training tomorrow so my next run will be 10M on Saturday morning all being well. 

• Options

Evening all! Went for a nice bike ride this evening since Lancashire was nice and warm today and I felt like some exercise without running- did a lovely 9 miles with a few hills in the countryside image

Where do you all stand on cross-training such as cycling? From what I've been reading about injury rehab, I thought it was worth a try image