Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Out the door at 6:30am for a 12 mile hilly trail run.  I nearly got myself stuck in ankle-deep mud in the woods and had to gingerly pull myself out without falling over.  I felt like a kid again image  It's amazing how much more of a quagmire the trails have become since I ran them back in the winter months.  Our glorious summer, eh?  Good job I wore an old pair of shoes!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

10km recovery run on the treadmill this morning.  Sweaty, but clean image

I'm looking forward to trying out my first parkrun on Saturday.

• Options

Evening all! *waves* hope you're all enjoying running in the sunshine image

Just a steady 3 mile plod for me this morning because I have a bit of an achy shin after my first hill session- nothing that rest and frozen peas won't cure though, I'm sure image

• Options

What a beautiful day !! image

I've just done a 5K interval on the treadmill this morning, I did plan to do it earlier in the week but it didn't quite happen. I will be doing a Parkrun tomorrow morning and hoping to improve my time from 2 months ago.Will then do a 12-13M run on Sunday. If it stays nice I will do my favourite trail run which I did a couple of times during my Brighton marathon training - it will be interesting to see how my time compares with back then.

Enjoy the beautiful weather everyone !!!!

• Options

Afternoon all

Back from the dentist filling all completed so no running today as i a complete wimp will do 8 mile with Phoobear tomorrow instead

• Options

Just got back from an 8 mile training run with Toby3.  Jogged 5/walked 5 mins most of the way round with a couple of jog 10s downhills.  Longest one yet, so still building up mileage.  It was quite a nice route, the last section through wooded area.

Once mileage has built up I will have to work on my time though, as at this rate it will be a 3 and a half hour Half Marathon in Cricklade in October.

• Options

Not the best preparation for Parkrun today, I got there late and had no time to go the loo etc and had to dash to the start, I got their just has the race started!! image but got a PB time of 21:38 which is 2 mins and 20 secs faster than my previous PB at the same Parkrun in June. I finally think the training is paying off!! image

Tenjiso - how did your Parkrun go today? 

• Options
    Fantastic PB FF... Brill image
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Super fast 5k FF, and a great PB!  That's a big improvement too.

I made it to my first parkrun, and it was a great experience.  I'm very impressed with the way it all works with the barcodes and the timer at the finish.  Brilliant.

I was boxed in at the start, so I didn't start far enough forward in the field.  Chalk that one up to experience.  It took a little while to get going, but eventually I found myself running with people of a similar pace.  One was pushing a buggy - LOL, showoff image  I was tempted to jump in for the ride with his nipper.

My time was 24:24.  A new PB!!!!  Oh wait - it was my first ever 5k.  Now I have something to target and work on.  The results service is excellent.

Really enjoyed the event and will definitely return.  I might be able to make it back next week, though I'm not sure at the moment.

• Options

Well done on your parkruns Flowery Fay and Tenjiso! Good work image

Training is clearly paying off for you both image

Went for an ever-so-slightly quicker 3 miles today, still quite steady but starting to inch towards 9 minutes a mile (target 10k/half pace for me), and it felt quite good, so might try a little tempo run next week! Then tomorrow a steady 5 miles for me image

*waves to all* enjoy your weekends!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Sarah.  You are making good progress.

I ran four miles at recovery pace this morning to complete 41 miles for the week.

Beautiful weather at the moment, though it's set to change according to the forecasts.  The men's olympic marathon is due to start soon, so I'm going to put my feet up in front of the telly image

• Options

Thanks Tenjiso! I'm inspired by your mileage for the week- that's impressive with so long to go to the marathon image

I went out for a long steady run (for me) of 5 miles this morning, and it felt quite good! I managed it at 9:40 pace, which was quicker than it felt, and only minor shin pain during the last mile/afterwards, which has subsided after icing it whilst I watched the start of the men's Olympic marathon image

• Options

Tenjiso/FF, I too like the parkruns. I do 1 a month, that way I often see progress especially during Marathon training. I find that in marathon training you have the endurance and often overtake people in the second half of the race. Also the more you do the more agressive you realise you can be. I often find if I jog to the parkrun ( a few miles ) then I run better than if I start "fresh" on the line. 

21 Miles for me yesterday( Including pacing the wife around parkrun for a PB for her). Happy Days

• Options

Nice one AGF!! 

I will be more organised for the next parkrun and do a warm-up first. Once a month sounds like a good idea. I am going to offer to marshall for the parkrun next week as I feel I should do my bit! 

I still have my LSR to do today, I normally do it in the morning but after the parkrun yesterday I thought I'd give my legs a couple more hours to recover and run early evening instead.  I thinks its going to be a warm one!!!

• Options

as you can see 8 miles done yesterday with Poohbear must say very enjoyable to run with someone instead of by yourself my try and get a another 8 miler in tomorrow but will see what i feel like when i get up

• Options

Nice running going on folks! image

Good long run AGF. how many 20 milers you planning to fit in before Abingdon?

Toby / poohbear, nice to get the 8 miler in together.

FF / Tenjiso, well done on the parkruns. I also really enjoy our local parkrun, and managed to get there yesterday. image

sarah m, excellent steady progress imageimage

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

Hi juggler. I have done 3 so far and plan another 3. I also have a 30 mile ultra than I plan to run walk very very slowly. 

Trust your well and training going well. How was your parkrun?

Well done Toby/Poohbear.

Enjoy your Long run FF

• Options

12M LSR done - hurrah!!! imageimage 

• Options

morning all

will try another 8 miles today with just 6 weeks now to the GNR i need to build the mileage up a bit  aapparently Mo is running the GNR i let him beat me as i would'nt want to show him upimage (LOL)

• Options

Well done Flowery Fay! Good work image

Just a little swim for me this morning, first time I've swum in aaaages but it was good to get back into it!

• Options

Ran 20 miles on the South Downs on Saturday as Beachy Head marathon training, my longest off-road run to date. Felt tough at times especially in the heat, and I'm MUCH slower running off-road than on road, but feeling pretty pleased with how Beachy Head training is going.

• Options

Afternoon all

Well 8 miles done funny sort of weather raining at times but very muggy and humid i did start off with hat and light running jacket on but they were soon both discarded and the jacket ended up tide around my waist the whole run took 1:19:38 with an Avg pace of 9:40m/m and the 4thslowest time i done it in

Will have to come to terms with the fact the days of the sub 2 hr H/M are over image not if i can help it image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good 20 miler Barbie.  How many 20+ mile runs are you intending to do in training?

I did five miles this afternoon including a mile of strides and two miles of quarter-mile reps at fast pace.  Hot work!  From the weather forecast it sounds like it will turn quite a bit hotter this coming weekend.

• Options
    Oh my.... I feel really bad seeing how everyone's mileage is going...I am back from my Cornish Holiday and am sorry to say the trainers hit the road for only 1mile. Decided the hills in port Isaac were too much for me!! Did do lots of walking so need to get back on track this week....have really missed running.
  • Options
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

Sounds like a good 20 miler Barbie.  How many 20+ mile runs are you intending to do in training?

I did five miles this afternoon including a mile of strides and two miles of quarter-mile reps at fast pace.  Hot work!  From the weather forecast it sounds like it will turn quite a bit hotter this coming weekend.

When I've trained for previous marathons I've normally done 4 20+ mile long runs, I find it works for me and my legs do recover quickly, so I'll probably aim to do the same for Beachy. I've got to get most of my training done by mid-September as then I go to Nepal for a couple of weeks to trek to Everest Base Camp so that's why I'm already doing 20 mile runs now. There is some method in my madness honest! image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

You'll be fit enough to run to the base camp!

• Options

Barbie sounds like a great experience

• Options

I'm hoping that 2 weeks at high altitude might make me come back running like a Kenyan! image

• Options

no you need to be an Ethiopian or a Ugandan

• Options
    toby3 wrote (see)

no you need to be an Ethiopian or a Ugandan

imageimageimage