Options

Paris Losers

Comments

• Options

ps Kaz - my watch did exactly the same thing as yours today - now to check tinternet to see how I change the bloody thing from interval programme back to normal straight time  image

• Options

Carry out works here too.

I've switched my approach as I'd gone back to square one and then a couple of steps further!

Starting Amsterdam training this week has helped me psychologically as for the last 3 weeks my running has been sporadic and badly effected by the fell relay I did (as needed far more recovery time from extremely hilly runs).

Other thing I've recognised is that I've been using the same weight loss/calorie tracking site for about 4 years off and on and felt I needed a change.  The thought of going back to it just didnt feel appealing.

Tried the one through livestrong but the database was american in terms of measurements and foods so even some basic unbranded food stuffs seemed impossible to track.  So, I ended up joining Weight Watchers.  The simple fact of entering intake into a different site is a definite help and the structure of an allowance daily plus an additional weekly allowance and activity bonus all seem pretty good for me.  Two downsides are that the activity settings seem pretty basic which means there's a danger of underestimating calorific output, and I worry a bit about the 'fruit and veg are zero points' angle.  I eat quite a bit of fruit and veg - though maybe this will balance any under estimating for running.

All I can do is weigh weekly (another psychological benefit for me as this tells me its 'ok' to weigh like that) and see how it goes for a month.  If I lose too fast/too slow I can always adjust the allowance.

• Options

A carry out........oh not had one of those in a long long time.......mmmmmm

DLR - sounds like your in a much more positive place. Hope WW goes well. A girl I work with swears by it.

Things aren't going to well here this week, restricted exercise and 'light' duties at work are really doing my head in. Pain relief is playing havoc with my stomach and I look like I am 9 months pregnant. By hell my stomach is sooooo sore.......the plus side I don't feel like eating which is going to lead to big problems when I do start eating again.image

• Options
    Kaz: So sorry to hear of your troubles. Most important thing is for you to get better.

DLR: Good for you! I've heard so many good things about WW.

Maus: I owe you a mail. Look out for it later today.

My apologies for my silence. I should have popped on to just let y'all know, But life literally went insane with ex. Like me having to call the police levels of insane. So between his constant, persistent harrassment, the eviction that he was trying to force on me... yeah. So two weeks of hell. The good news is that I'm back in the U.S. for a month, so I instantly feel relief and calm. Tuesday (the day before I left), I managed to find a backup living situation for when I return if the legal stuff doesn't hold for me and I have to leave the apartment. Eating went out the window and I lost another kilo. Friends were getting really worried, but my dad seems to be stocking the fridge with fridge with all of my favorite foods, so I should be putting on more weight. (I find it amusing that a couple of months ago I thought 57kg was perfect for me, but that 58 is way too low!).

Funny thing is that through all of it, I've not been depressed or not eating because of control issues (just not eating because of feeling sick and panicked all the time!). I am in Week 3 of Amsterdam training, and the only thing I've been consistent with is my running, which has helped me so much. It seems that my depression & eating/food issues started cropping up when I moved in with the ex 2 years ago and got progressively worse. He played on all my insecurities and I lost my ability to have control over my life. But, I am much stronger than I think, and my friends and family are seriously amazing in every way. Oh, and running is a constant, and keeps me sane.

So, I'm alive and mostly well, and back with my parents for a month (and my brother's getting married July 7!). It's bloody hot though: today is going to be a high of 35, and the humidity is oppressive. So, off for a run! image

Thanks, everyone!
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

KOs that sounds like a pretty grim time you've been having....I'm glad you are physically removed from it.  That can make a huge diofference to our perspective on things.  Glad, too, that you have a plan b for when you get back so you're not fretting about what might happen next.  Enjoy your time with friends and family image

DLR - WW worked for me and I lost about 1.5 stone with them a few years ago.  I did it online.  A change is a very good thing I reckon.  BTW the Cardiff Half course has been changed and the last mile is downhill.  Which is nice.

Kaz - you're not taking it easy at all, are you madam? image

• Options

yer_maj - 1:58 then with the change of route?

KOs - sounds grim but also sounds like you're dealing with it incredibly well.  However, its pissing down with rain here and is set to stay the same for at least the next 5 days so don't you come round here with your lah-de-dah 35c stuffimage  We should never have granted you colonials independence...

Kaz - yeuch.  Nowt worse than really bad bloating.  Well, amputation without anaesthetic might be but you get the idea...

• Options

KO's - that sounds grim, glad you are now home with your parents. Hopefully the distance will do you the power of good. Relax and enjoy.

Yer_maj - taking it easy ain't easyimageimage

I saw an advert for slimming world today and I am now off  to google it???image

• Options
    It reached 39C yesterday. That is all.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

KOs is now officially banned from any weather discussions.

DLR - No.  That is all.

Kaz I know, I know...I am the queen of "Do as I say not as I do" But it's so important....

• Options

Joning 35 pages in, I ask myself, what is this all about then? image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

You need to read them in the right order, duck

• Options

KOs, sounds horrid but glad to hear that you that the fridge is stocked and you are having some time away from it all; agreed - no more weather conversations please - what is going on with all this rain... seriously, it's driving me mad image 5 more days left of work and wouldn't you know it, boss has been a dream lately and have really been enjoying everything but maybe that's because I know my days are numbered!  Not lost anything but then again, not gained anything so I guess it's not too bad... I've gone back to my 6am bootcamp which has been great - am completely cream crackered by about 3pm but it's been so nice to be out there doing stuff... apparently channel 4 are coming to film us on Monday morning for some sort of women/working/fitting everything in documentary image.

Amsterdam training starts next week... bit slow on the uptake there - am thinking I'll just download one of the garmin plans from here and combine it with a bit of P&D; DLR, KOs - am I headed in the right direction?  I need to factor in 3 weeks of south of France heat and 3 weeks of Alps so not sure where to look...

Hub is watching football, I have no idea what he is talking about, am just nodding politely and hoping he won't notice....

• Options

Sounds alright to me suzy - I'm more or less doing a P&D schedule but doing extended long runs and different races, just mixing it up.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've banished the scales.They don't work for me and they're too depressing.New tac' is to shift myself more. I have ruthlessly overseen the cleaning-out of the garage.* Mr.maj, look away now...* Everything bar the bikes, essential tools, Mr.ATM-standard-essential stuff...yes, the boxes of really-precious  string...and some bits and pieces we can't even identify but look as if they might open up space portals, is in the skip! The idea is that I use the turbo that I can now actually see etc etc..Good intentions  and all that..

Suzy, playing with a few schedules is half the fun. Rest is part of every plan .So, the south of France bit sounds like class training and the Alps sound just the place for hills, non?image

• Options
    Chownsie: Welcome to the nuthouse.image

Suzy: I think you're just fine. I'm now on week 2 (or 3?) of AMS training, but I'm doing a 20-week plan because of the hip flexor tear.

Made it 8 miles yesterday @9:08min/mi, which is amazing considering the extent of the hip flexor tear and adductor muscles seizing. Plus another day of hot/humid weather, so I'm pleased. Muscle memory for the win.image

Weight-wise, I'm trying to gain some back, to get to 59.5kg. Seemed a good weight. Pretty easy to do here in the good ol' U.S. of A., what with the abundance of amazing yet inexpensive restaurants.image

For the ladies, out of curiosity: if you lose too much weight, do your periods get irregular and/or dissappear? Or should I be concerned about other causes for such things?
  • Options

KO's - yes they do disappear, I never had any for 3.5 years.image But as you probably know stress among other things can cause this too???

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

KOs - yes, being underweight can cause periods to stop.  I have never tested this theory....

Finally the scales have moved again after 4 weeks of being resolutely stuck.  One whole pound of 500g but I am still happy...next week I will be whining about water retention so I'm making the most of knowing that my scales aren't actually broken.

Body fat hasn't decreased though....

• Options

Sorry boys: look away if squeamish.

Hey KO's - Kaz is right. It's quite frequently in the news how young atheletes (especially gymnasts) don't get their first period until the "retire" at 17.

Just to be sure though, go pee on a stick and maybe have a chat to a doctor.

Mine have never ever been "normal": always super irregular and super painful. It didn't matter how fit I was, what I was taking, how much I weighed - they just plain sucked. Turns out my bits are folded in half and around the wrong way. Gyno said the way to fix it was by having a baby. I snorted derisively.

Current fix is the implant in the arm business. It's not for everyone, and there can be some unhappy side effects, but luckily (for the first time) I've had 2 and a half years of bliss. It's coming up to replacement and I'm noticing it.

I had my first well-behaved weekend this weekend. It felt really good not to "cave". I've been trying a new ploy with myself.

This will seem silly, I know, but if I can't 'fess up here, where else can I.

When I crave something, I deliberately give myself permission to have it and lots of it. I think through what it will taste like and how I will feel. Very deliberate thought process. In each case, I have then decided that after all, I don't want it.

I wonder if it's working because it's stopping the petulant 3 year old inside from stamping her foot and saying "but I want it. Waaaaahhhh".

Had an interesting insight into my own self perception on Saturday. I went to try on a skirt and some trousers in a shop. They were enormous on me - by at least 4 inches in the waist. That would be at least 2 sizes lower than the ones I was trying on. The lowest size that the shop makes is only 1 size lower. I found this astonishing - even though I'm sure there's a bit of "vanity sizing" going on - it would put me at a size 4 (about a 6 UK and a US 0, I think). This is ridiculous. I do not look that small in real life. Surely.

• Options
    Maus, you do look that thin. Here's what I recommend: when shopping, find someone of your height, and who you think is very thin. Then try on the same thing she is trying on (pants, dress, fitted shirt). And then you will see what you look like without the body dismorphyia to distort your perspective.

Re: your advice, peeing on a stick sounds like a good idea. I too have had painful, irregular periods my whole life as a result of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Have been told that there's little chance I can have kids without massive doses of hormones/medication, and then maybe not even. But my last was virtually non-existent (which has never happened before!), and haven't had one this month. I'm probably just being paranoid, but better to be able to eliminate that niggling concern with simple chemistry.image
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Yep, you've had enough going on - get thee to a chemist, lass image

DLR and I will be godparents.....

• Options
    British Guy's parents are actually from Wales, so you'd approve.image
  • Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I can't imagine two more righteous, moral, upstanding citizens.

• Options

Confession - I have just made a White chocolate and fudge cheesecake.............This is not going to be a good week!!!image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Hey all, have caught up and phew!  KO - good to hear you're back with the family for some TLC and a wedding to keep you occupied.  sounds like you're VERY VEEEEEERRRYYYY lucky to be shot of that guy (ex boyfriend)!

Chownsie - welcome...this is where the real freaks hang out.  There's weather and even period chats. image

I'm with yer_maj have never tried that missing periods thingimage

As for me...went really well all last week but the weekend I went off a cliff.  Granted I had <2 hrs sleep on friday night (flew to inverness after work then drove to Torridon for 2:15 am wake up), saturday chased men in rubber suits and lycra around the highlands until about 11.30pm (with a car load of sugar and high carb food to "nibble" on), crashed then sunday drove back to inverness and flew back to London for midnight. Brilliant mad fun though!!!  if anyone wants to know about extreme triathlons, I can give you the support perspective.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I can't imagine two more righteous, moral, upstanding citizens.

Can I be the crazy aunty?  I do that well.

• Options

kind of lost the thread (pun intended) but back on it again...are we still all trying to trim off the excess? 

was going to read back to catch up but the first post i flashed back mentioned ladies cycles image so hope you will forgive me for not going any further.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Don't get squemish SR.  Those period things are why you have kids image

• Options
    Stray Runner wrote (see)

was going to read back to catch up but the first post i flashed back mentioned ladies cycles image so hope you will forgive me for not going any further.

Ladies cycles?

Aren't they the same as men's except without the top horizontal tubing, and possibly they have a basket on the front?

• Options
    And pink.

They must have pink.

DLR: Sounds like you're going to need a new hat!
  • Options

it is also why i exclusively requested boys rsimage

no lady cycles and no weddings to pay for....