Options

Paris Losers

Comments

• Options

caeser or nicoise in answer to the salad question image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

NGUG - have you tried fruit teas?  I really like lemon and ginger.  not as harsh on your teeth as lemon juice in hot water and ginger helps with digestion.  I also find it's got more omph than other fruit teas.

• Options

RS - I have tried some but not lemon and ginger any brand in particular?

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I get twinnings (or however they spell it), yummy, but I haven't tried many others.

• Options

hi all, last nightshift for me tonight then my four days off image. Have eaten healthily over the last 4 days at work. Now the test comes. Must not binge. House was purged of all treats a week ago (took a long time to eat them all image

Only small slip on the horizon is going out for a family meal tomorrow night. Will be having hearty meal with chips and a couple of pints.

Apart from that i will be good. No beer / cider in house and won't be buying any. Think this will be where my main weight loss will come from. Hopefully.

Did buy a small bottle of whiskey though. Got to have at least one vice image in moderation.

Also, will be seeing my ex marathon running partner keith tonight, and if i can't persuade him to do another one, i will get the credit card out tonight and decide which marathon to run on my own....lonely...oh so lonely....

and no, DLR keith is not my partner in that respect

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

not if you decide to do amsterdam...There's lots of fast freaks doing that one (myself not included).  Good work on clearing out the house!  i'm sure it was tough. When I was being really good I gave myself a free meal once a week and it seemed to help keep the binges under control through the rest of the week, as I had it to look forward.  Planning food seems to have really helped...today hasn't been planned and I'm going to be running after the wagon to get back on tomorrow. image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

alan, if Keith enjoyed the ' jaunt' aspect of the mara' but doesn't fancy running, maybe he'd consider being a volunteer somewhere exotic. It gives you a compeltely different view of the whole thing and is a good jaunt in itself.  Of course, you could always go with the Paris-Massive on the Amsterdam trip.I think you would have very little time to feel lonely...

I have found some celeriac and the makerel salad is on.image

Tea...I'm back on the fruit teas in an attempt to cut down my coffee intake. today's is raspberry and cranberry and is very nice. I also still have masses of Chinese green tea given to me by Chinese students.Every class began with a mug of tea...the cure-all for absolutely everything. Time to have more of that, too.

• Options
    Suzy LarkinSuzy Larkin ✭✭✭

Yay it's nearly the weekend image.  I went to Soho this afternoon and bought some things to make those see through prawn roll things - Vietnamese spring rolls maybe... not sure what they are called but had them after the marathon in Paris and they were to die for and they tasted quite healthy too!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

My favourite salad...smoked haddock, jersey royals, chorizo, watercress and a poached egg on top with a dressing made from garlic, coarse grain mustard and sherry vinegar.  

• Options

suzy - are they the steamed ones?  I had some at an Indo-Chinese place not far from the expo.  Vey nice they were too.

This is a dangerous time for me.  Fridays are x-training day so fewer calories burned and I've struggled all year not to over eat drastically Friday early evening onwards.  I think it's like people come in from work on a Friday and have a couple of glasses of wine, but with me it's crappy food.

So far so good tonight though.

• Options

be strong Rob, be strong

• Options
    Suzy LarkinSuzy Larkin ✭✭✭

My reply disappeared image ... they aren't steamed (I don't think, the instructions are in Japanese!) dunk them in warm water for a few seconds and then fill with rice vermicelli, prawns, shredded chicken, coriander and lettuce and dip in gyoza sauce yuuuummy image.  Yes, be strong DLR - I am, unfortunately pre-programmed into the 'it's Friday/end of a crappy week' have a drink mentality but on the plus side, I have an appointment with a nutritionist next week... 11 pages of health questionnaire later!

• Options

Safe.

Managed to come in a full four kilocalories under my allowance image  Thanks for the support image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

That's a win, Rob.  Under but still with almost full calorie usage.  Nicely done.

Shocking week for me.  Next week I'm moving house which would traditionally be an excuse to go "Ah fuckit"

• Options

No, no, no yer_maj.  Time to be strong.  Every day you're good is a day closer to making it a habit.  I'd like to get a consistent 6-8 weeks in.  If I do that then habit formed. Do the same!

• Options

its not just us lot, next series of the hairy bikers, is called the hairy dieters ! they will be looking at tastey food that is good for you, instead of pastries !

apparently they were worried about their expanding girth stretching their leathers

• Options

Gah! Now I'm not getting email notifications! I thought it remarkably odd that the list would be silent after yesterday morning, and... sure enough, it's not.

As for weighing myself: I know it has to do with wimmin' stuff. I was just curious how bad it was. Back always to Tuesday mornings now. image

Okay, so I mentioned sports fasting over on the other thread, but maybe it makes more sense here:
    Basically, physio (who is also a personal trainer) mentioned sport fasting to break me of my sugar addiction/help me lose 6kg. The concept is that next week, day 1 is nothing but low-calorie veggies, day 2 is nothing but juice, day 3 is nothing but low-calorie veggies, day 4 fasting, day 5, fruit juice, day 6 low-cal veggies, and day 7 fruit juice. The theory is that in that 1 week, I'd lose about 2-2.5kg. After that, I'd return to a 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat diet for about 4-6 weeks with a net 1,500 calories, and then do the fasting again for another 2-2.5kg drop, so a total of 4-5kg in about 7-8 weeks, all while keeping the weight off. After that, I'd stick to the 1,500 cals a day thing for another 4 weeks, at which time I should have lost the 6kg I wanted to lose, and I should have sufficiently altered my eating habits to make better choices overall.

DLR: Good for you! Way to be strong! image

Yer_maj: Moving house is such a stressful time. image What about just always keeping an apple or banana with you, or even the pre-packaged small size of whole wheat crackers for quick carbs?
    I don't know if you've already packed, but to help me when I've moved, I always keep 1 medium-sized pot out with steamer basket, a box of whole wheat pasta, a head of broccoli, a can of chickpeas, and jarred pasta sauce (but healthy), specially packaged (it travels with me!), and make that for dinner the first night. Literally takes 15 minutes, but it's much healthier than getting takeout or pizza. Once I get through that evening, it's usually better as I always unpack my kitchen first.image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

KO - umm...you're getting some nutrients on that diet but it does seem quite extreme and restrictive and not a way to continue eating.  I really don't agree with crash dieting.  Friend recommended food doctor and while the detox week is restrictive (I lost almost 5 kgs in that week a few years ago but put it back on as work got mental and didn't have time to sort out meals), it advocates a wide variety of foods, good oils and is balanced. I follow quite a few of the principles now.  Have a look

• Options

RS: I just had a look on the Amazon preview, and it looks similar to how I eat now, and I love that there are the 7-day and 30-day plans (I really don't want to have to THINK about what to eat, I just want someone to tell me what to eat right now!). I'm going to be naughty and try to find a pirated copy online, but if not, I'll go ahead and order it. I was hoping to start Monday...  I did tell my PT that I wasn't sure I could do the sport fasting thing because of my hypoglycemia. (Besides fainting, another side effect is that I turn into a raging bitch, which would be sort of detrimental to my job as I'm supposed to be nice and sweet and understanding all day long.image )

I think I have to unsubscribe to all of the food-related blogs I read, as I woke up to this beautiful http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2012/05/orange-blossom-sesame-cake.html this morning and started checking to see if I had all the necessary ingredients. I love that blog (all natural, whole foods), but tempting me with beautiful cakes are not helping the diet cause.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

No, no, no yer_maj.  Time to be strong.  Every day you're good is a day closer to making it a habit.  I'd like to get a consistent 6-8 weeks in.  If I do that then habit formed. Do the same!

I know, I know....I'll spend some time over the weekend planning what we're going to eat on Tuesday and Wednesday when everything is going to be in boxes in one house or the other.  Good tips KOs.

K - how are you feeling now that the birthday has passed?

• Options
    Howdy folks, just thought I'd drop in to say hello. I did exactly what you're all doing after Venice last year, so I feel your pain.

I just thought I'd pass on a couple of tips that worked for me. One was to change the bread I was eating. I eat quite a lot of bread - toast is more or less my go-to food if I'm looking for a snack. But I was eating thick sliced wholemeal which has about 120 kcal a slice. So I changed to a loaf with smaller slices - M&S and Warburtons both do wholemeal loaves at about 60 kcal a slice. It doesn't feel like a sacrifice - you're still eating the same number of slices - but it adds up.

The other tip is M&S fine egg noodles. Each 'nest' is only 80 kcal, but one nest is quite a lot of noodles - plenty for me with a stirfry or something, and very filling. I don't know why theirs are so low in calories, because others' seem to have a lot more, but they are.

KO's - I'd be a bit wary of that diet plan. I don't suppose it would do any damage if you're only doing it for a week but it would be a pretty miserable week. I'm with RS on that one - you need a range of foods to keep you in balance.
  • Options

Yer_maj: I know you can do it. image

Me, I'm feeling worn-out. image Ex is being insanely wishy-washy, which is really screwing with my head. Seriously, I don't feel like my criteria for a good partner are too high... but maybe they are? I seriously need an effing vacation, (I am going to the US in six weeks, but that seems so far away). Maybe I'll take a quick trip to London, as I need to examine some manuscripts at the British Library, and at Oxford and Cambridge as well... Or at least I'll fantasize about a quick trip.

Man, this sucks. But at least I ate a healthy dinner last night and breakfast this morning and didn't drink last night, so, yay?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Yes yay - one day at a time and that sounds like a good way to have ended yesterday....

• Options
    One day at a time, yes. I should have that on post-it notes around my room.image Okay, off to the gym. Let's see if I have the patience for 90 minutes on the stationary bike. Wheeeeee!
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

image got the lurgy.  Was hungry and tired all yesterday and today my throat has gone bad.  Really want to head out for a run but the thought of it makes me tired.  So any tips on food to eat when sick?  I usually pig out a bit when sick.  Today I've got planned BNS soup and random tomato mince and vegetables mix that I make, with cous cous....but have already had the mince and ready for another feed.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Don't run....not a good idea.  Take it easy today!

• Options

Was going to suggest soup sal - but with plenty of spice in it.  Chilli, garlic and ginger all good for colds.

RR - were they 400g loaves or full size?

Got a decent bit of exercise done this morning and made some savoury mince (but with Quorn and leftover veggies) for the freezer. 

Also done a freestyle Indian kachoomber-esque salad for tea with carrot, onion, chickpeas, cucumber, tomato and a dressing from mint/lemon juice/salt/sugar/chilli.  Over did it with the salt but hopefully will be ok. Going to make a kind of Malayan quorn (having a quorn phase - can you tell?) curry to have with the salad.  Dead easy - some Korma paste but then pimp it up with raisins, pineapple and banana.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

well, after trip to physio (all good, new exercises, strength is building and it's time to get back to it...if I didn't feel like crap), I did a sainsbury's run and stocked up on soups, innocent pots and juice.  I am now ready to hybernate and quite proud that I didn't succumb to F&Cs.

I eat the warburtons 400g loaves.  The wholemeal one has nice bigish slices that are thin.

• Options
    DLR - yes, it's the 400g ones, just checked.
  • Options

RS: Take it easy, get some rest and eat good food. Fruit for vitamin C.

DLR: Sounds delicious. What time are you expecting us?

--

Okay, so 45 minutes on stationary bike, 30 minutes on cross-trainer, and 45 minutes of strength-training. I was going for 90min. on bike, but it's soooo boring. My adductors/hip flexor/psoas are getting so much better really fast with the strength training. I am, however, having trouble keeping my core taut during exercise. Any suggestions?

(And, ladies, I was sweaty and gross but a guy checked me out as I walked by! It was a little confidence-booster.)