Options

Paris Losers

Comments

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

KO - woahhhhoooo, look at you go!  keeping your core taunt during exercise...think like you have to do 1s and 2s and squeeze in and up.  You should be able to feel your core activate and pull your pelvis together as you pull up.

Well...I've eaten healthyish but it's been a lot..cereal, mince and cous cous, 600g portion of chicken and vege soup with roll, ginger and BNS soup with roll, and masses of OJ mixed with blackberry, raspberry and blueberry smoothy.  Am now contemplating an innocent bombay curry veg pot.  When I'm sick I don't cook.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

K - what psoas strengthening are you doing?  I am sure mine is a bit wonky due to the only area of pain I have left around my hip.

Of course a man checked you out.  It'd be a blind one who didn't....

• Options

+1 for the psoas strengthening stuff.  Mine are quite sore.  Im hoping its because I've been trying to stretch and massage them but fear its just running related and may need a good wedge of time off.  Ergo I'm feeling stressed.  And when I'm stressed I comfort eat.  So I've comfort ate.  despite a big tea I've just had 2 x crisps and half a dozen slices of bread and a 9 bar.  Bugger.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

oh no DLR!  We need to get you some better comfort food.  Instead of crisps, have you tried rice cakes with humus?  Crunchy but almost no fat, salt (if you get low salted etc).

What's a psoas? image

• Options

hip flexors sal.  3 years ago I had 4 months of with tendonitis there.  This feels a little too similar for comfort.  Going to lay off the stretching and strengthening for a couple of days and see if it calms down.

• Options
    RS: Really? I hate that feeling. I'll work on it though. 1 & 2 at same time... dear lord.

Yer_maj + DLR: I didn't realize how much the psoas affects your pelvis & hip flexors either. Mostly PT did stuff for me, but I have a few links that I'll gather together tomorrow.

So sleepy, at 10:46 on a Saturday night. I didn't want to go drinking, so I'm watching Downton Abbey with my cat. No sniggers.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Nowt like a night in with your pussy....

Is it bad that I'm feeling a sense of comfort that everybody else seems to get knocked off beam as easily as I do?  I thought it was just me and I was a miserable failure of a human being.  Well, that's slightly harsh but you know what I mean....I'm finding it much harder than I thought I would to deal with the fact that my post Paris intentions haven't gone to plan and everything seems a bit out of whack.

Rob...have you maybe been overdoing the new strengthening regime a bit?

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

KO - well, you don't actually HAVE to have the feeling of 1s& 2s but just think about muscles that stop themimage  Hope you gave your pussy lots of patting and made it purr (yer_maj started it)

Yeah, my fitness plans have not gone right since Paris.  Feeling a bit better today but still really cold so don't think i'll even get to the gym.  Massive amounts of soup, OJ & smoothie and vegetables seems to be helping though.  Guess the idea is that when we fall of the wagon we try not to just sit in the path and sulk (pig-out) but keep going at as fast a pace as we can (eat as healthy as possible) so we don't get too far behind...(if you get that random metaphor for a sunday morning).

• Options

Yer_maj & RS: I think nearly *everyone* has been feeling that way. I have the biggest case of "what's the point?" Chownsie and I talked about that de-anchored feeling last weekend. I think partly it's to do with the lack of endorphines. Think about how many endorphines you were producing on a regular basis; this of course affects your mood, your outlook, your general well being. And it culminates with all of the good feelings of finishing the marathon, but then there's nothing afterward, no training, nothing to look forward to, and no regular exercise. I've now made my plan for Amsterdam and extended it to include the walking/cycling I've been doing so I feel like even though I'm not running yet, I have something I need to commit to. Both of you have upcoming shorter races, right? Why not make proper plans, print them out, and put them somewhere prominent so that you have a reminder that you have a new goal, and a new accomplishment you're working towards? image

Too many night alone with pussy can be a bad thing, methinks.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

We've got a 10km in July but that's a way off.  Yer_maj is out now for a run.  YAY!

I've got a sportive (83mile bike ride) in June image so need to get back into it and was keen this weekend but touch of the lurgy has put me back.  Really can't afford to get sick with new job but would love to hit the gym today...decisions decisions, so I'm going with no cardio but all my physio & core exercises for today and then tomorrow I WILL be out on the bike or on the turbo trainer. imageimage

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

If it's any comfort to the first -timers, I clearly remember feeling' down' and rather weepy for three weeks after the marathon. Then, there was a huge emotional surge of....appreciation (?) , pride, whatever... at having managed it. Yer 3 weeks  are up, folks! This coming week, you're going to feel good about your achievement, grateful for your health and for having had the chance to do this, and very attached to the( rather horrible) medal. Promise.image

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Rob...have you maybe been overdoing the new strengthening regime a bit?

They say greta minds think alike yer_maj, but in this case it's us.  That's my conclusion.  Will post about it on the Paris (running) thread in a bit to get any other thoughts.

I think RS has hit the nail on the head.  Whilst we're all probably striving for consistent healthy eating and resultant change in weight/body shape/whatever individual goals are, there's going to be times where life gets in the way; be that work, relationships, illness, injury, commitments, whatever.  I hope the fact there are a few of us in it together means that when that happens one bad day doesn't become a bad week.  I'm back on the (metaphorical) horse today image

• Options

Okay, so here's a couple of helpful background articles on the psoas. It mentions running hills as problematic (when you have to lift your knees higher), but I think for me it really manifested during speedwork (also when I lift my legs higher): http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=23715

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/iliopsoas.html

For finding your psoas for self-massage I found these helpful:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1RARwli_Zs&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmS1cRtfhEM

This was the stretching my physio said to do for the psoas:
    http://youtu.be/bgj6QtOVLVA

And I'm supposed to be doing lots of bridges and planking and side planking. Hope that helps, and I hope I can share more on Wednesday when I see him again.

• Options

Can I join in too????

DLR - What info are you  collecting???

• Options

Hiya Kaz - all I'm collating is how much you want to lose and then each Monday/Tuesday morning tell me how much you've gained or lost.  Then, on Tuesday's I'll send an update email out to everyone.  Can you email or message me?

Also, doesn't matter what day you 'weigh in' each week - use whichever day works for you - but on Monday/Tuesday tell me the result from whenever your date is in the previous 7 days.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Well I haven't ruddy well lost an ounce!  Mind you I haven't gained one either which is nothing short of a miracle last week.

This week will be better - for starters I am running again....

• Options

I'm weighing tomorrow morning yer_maj.  Had planned to go for a curry toninght but we ended up going yesterday instead.  Must have been way over on calories but also its a lot of food per se, so would screw up my stats this morning.

• Options
    +800g image

All that fancy London food clearly
  • Options

SR: But it was likely worth every gram, so savor those memories.image

Yer_maj: I hope your return to running goes well. If nothing else, it will probably also help with making good decisions during this crazy week for you. Oh, and good luck moving.

---
    My stats:
    Monday,1 May: 62.4 (starting)
    Monday, 7 May: 61.9 --> -500g.

(I'm not completely off sugar yet: 3 nights last week I had 2 (small) squares of dark chocolate w/ hazelnuts. And yesterday, I had a pretty emotional day, and found some chocolate-brownie ice cream in the back of the freezer for god knows how long, but in a moment of emotional desperation, I scraped off the freezer burn, and ate it.)

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

DLR - I'm about the same too and am pleased as have eaten MASSES this weekend.

KO - oh no...but hey, now you don't have it there stalking you in the back of the freezer.  How about having popcorn on hand if you get that urge again?  Find a don't eat that, eat this option?  I know it's really cheesy and what RW is currently trying to shift a book on but having a few calories rather than as many as you could have does work...unless you increase the portion size thoughimage

• Options

RS: There's now no more ice cream and I don't usually buy it. Was left over from an ex grocery store trip a while back (he does buy that stuff)... I do love popcorn, but strangely there's no microwave variety sold here in NL. I can, however, make it myself on the stovetop so I'll start doing that. Thanks for the idea!

• Options

DLR, have just weighed myself and can report -3 pounds ! ( started at 186, now 183 ) yipeee. This has been achieved with eating healthily all week, no beer, and starting to increase my training again. Only slip (planned) was a meal out at a pub sat night with my dad, and several beers. But apart from that i have been good.

do you prefer if we post results on here, or pm you once a week ? also would you prefer the weight in pounds, kilos, or equivalent mass of dolly mixtures ?

Have been shopping today, and for the first time have bought quorn. got some quorn mince ( why twice the price of normal mince ? ) also bought veggie suasages. Have never tried any of the above so will be interesting. Thinking of doing a spag bol tonight with the quorn mince. Does anyone have a good recipy for home made sauce?

right, feeling good, and still got two more days off. going to go out for a run. weather is dry but very windy here on the prom. planning a circular 7 miler. will probably run at usain bolt pace for first 3.5 miles (wind assisted), then snails pace coming back.

will check in later, and will post on the main paris thead later. hope everyone else has good luck on their weigh day image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Nice one Alan that's a fab loss!

Re the quorn mince - it doesn't have any flavour of its own it takes up the flavour of what it's cooked in so I generally cook sauces etc for a lot longer and use plenty of herbs/spices so it isn't bland.  It's lovely if you get it right though!

• Options

thanks yer maj. just going to make the sauce now, then leave it simmering with wife looking after it while i go for a run. have checked a few recipy ideas online for homemade sauce (instead of the big bottle i usually use)

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

quorn mince isn't meat mince so it's relatively more expensive to produce and process.  Ingredients are: Mycoprotein (88%), rehydrated free range egg white, roasted barley malt extract. More on Quorn

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Some good quality spicy paprika is mighty fine in quorn sauces

• Options

well, just back from my run. all sorts of weather from sunshine to heavy rain. very dark and windy at times. but the beach was deserted and i ended up enjoying myself and extended the run from a planned 7 miles, to 12miles. now time for a bath and then the spag bol.

• Options

<Sigh> I miss veggie dogs and quorn. The non-meat section of Dutch grocery stores pretty much just carry sad looking firm tofu and weird tempeh chunks. I now go to the Asian market up the street to get different varieties of tofu, but I really miss the variety of US/UK foodstuffs. Actually, I must confess that wandering around different grocery stores is one of my favorite things when I go home for a visit. Yes, I'm being absolutely serious.

Alan: 3lb--that's pretty amazing. AND 12 miles ran today?! Way to go!

• Options

Round up, round up.....let's have this week's numbers today or tomrrow please image

• Options

hi, just to update, the spag bol using quorn - i couldn't even tell the difference. probably because the homemade sauce was so much nicer than a bought one.yer maj - i did add plenty of spices including paprika. so thumbs up for quorn mince. a reduction in meat intake has to be a good thing. thanks for the help and support. ko's its a suprise you don't have more choice in a major european country.