Options

Winter 100

Comments

• Options

I am now officially in!

This will be my fourth 100 mile event of the year!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Nice one Ben. I am not on the list but will be soon! image

4 100s. Thats good going. You have a tough one coming up, are you all set for Lakeland?

• Options

I am as ready for Lakeland as I am ever likely to be WIB. 

I suggest you sign up for Winter 100 soon, because there is likely to be a mad grab for the last few places!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I have one more long run to do. Getting a little nervous now but also really looking forward to it and the pain image When are you getting up there?

Cheers, I will be on the list shortly mate!

• Options
    You plonker WiB, you didn't enter and it's now full!
  • Options

I will be traveling down to Cumbria on the Thursday. 

I am staying with my grandma, who calls these events "Ben's silly long walks". 

• Options
    Ha ha nice one Ben!

Full already ? Must have been an error on the website saying there were 110 entries. You haven't missed it have you wetter?
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Its ok... see you on the startline image

• Options

Re maps 1:25000 is best on os as its the micro detail that you need . 

I plan to do this one as a warm up (or should that be a cool down) for the Spine in Jan

• Options

Now the NDW's done, better start thinking about this one.

I'm pretty familiar with the first 50 but whats the second half like? Worth recceing or is it easy enough to follow?

• Options
    And if you know none of the course , and you would recommend recceing just one leg which would it be? ( maybe not the first as there would be people to follow)
  • Options

Legs 3 and 4 are going to have more ascent and descent than legs 1 and 2.  This is going to make it very easy to start out too fast, and then hit the hills when your legs are knackered.  This course would allow for a fast time, but the issue of pacing will be have to be considered carefully.   

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Is it noticably more ascent? I may have to try to get up and recce as I have not run any of the Ridgeway or any of the Thames Path.

• Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭

East Spur (Thames Path): Streatley to Reading and return: Distance 25 miles. Elev Gain/Loss: 1200ft/1200ft.
    West Spur (Thames Path): Streatley to Little Wittenham and return: Distance 25 miles. Elev Gain/Loss: 435ft/435ft.  
    North Spur (Ridgeway): Streatley to St. Botolphs Church and return: Distance 25 miles. Elev Gain/Loss: 1303ft/1303ft.  
    South Spur: (Ridgeway) Streatley to Chain Hill Monument and return: Distance 25 miles. Elev Gain/Loss: 902ft/902ft.
    Total: Distance 100 miles. Elev Gain/Loss: 3840ft/3840ft.

Hard to believe the trip to Reading has a bigger elevation gain than the leg to Wantage! There is one point where you are quite high above the Thames, so I guess it's having to get up there twice.

Of the 3 legs I've ran before, the South spur would be the trickiest to navigate. There are quite a few paths off the Ridgeway and a couple of turns where you need to see a sign. In daylight you'd be fine, if it's dark you'd just need to look round a bit more. Probably not worth going out of your way to recce. I've not ran the North spur yet but imagine it's probably the hardest of the 4.

• Options

Andy if i am able to do only one recce it will be the last leg as i will expect to be on my own by that time and my head is usually all over the place.

Interesting stats shawk i reckon i'll have to try and get a recce in. Not quite sure when i'll fit it in though.

• Options

Am I correct in thinking that each spur is out and back along the same route ? 

How many checkpoints apart from the central hub checkpoint?

• Options

Ian I think there are 15 checkpoints but their locations haven't been named yet.

• Options

Yep Ian, the legs are out and back. As I understand it, there are two checkpoints per leg, one around halfway that you visit out and back, and one at the turn-around.

• Options

In theory that should half the potential nav blunders!

• Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭

Dill, having now done all 4 sections I would recommend the North spur of the Ridgeway as the one to recce. Signage for some of that leg is poor to non-existant and a lot of the trail is quite narrow so it's not an obvious route. The South spur to Wantage is very well signposted and the track very well established, so as long as you are broadly aware of the route you can't go wrong.

• Options

Thanks shawk I will  try to do the North and South section in September. It really does help having some sort of idea where you are going on race day.

I'm still not running since NDWimage. Had horrendous achilles tendonitis during and after the race. Went out for a five miler a couple of weeks ago and ended up hobbling home. Physio reckons i was bloody lucky it didn't snap.

Anyway no running untill Sept 3rd as per phiz. Cycling, swimming and on the cross trainer plus stretching exercises 4 times a day. Dull Dull Dull..

Training 2 hours a day but just doesn't hit the spot like running. Only another week to go.

• Options

Afternoon, I'm in for this one. Looking to recce the latter stages. Am I right in thinking that you just follow the Ridgeway route for the North & South spurs? I've ran the Ridgeway before so shouldn't get lost if it's the same route. I'm normally a just wing it type of runner but don't fancy getting lost on this one.

• Options
    The kit list says you need a map of the route- are people all buying one or is it not really that compulsory?
  • Options

it is defo compulsory and will be checked, as will all other parts of kit

• Options

The format of this race (four spurs) has clearly been devised to allow participants regular access to drop bags, and facilitate rapid extraction of any participant who gets into trouble.  People should be giving considerable thought to what clothing they will bring. 

On top of what is mandated, I would suggest at least three base-layer tops be available to you.  For the night section, I would suggest having a 100 weight fleece available, or better still a vapour rise smock if you have one. 

• Options

I'm expecting a very thorough kit check at the W100 after what happened at the TP100.

• Options
    What are people using for the 'running fleece' as on the kit list?
  • Options

I would say that an ordinary 100 weight fleece would be fine. 

Polartec Powerstretch tops would work very well for this sort of thing, because they have a high warmth/weight ratio ans are exceptionally breathable, but they can be expensive. 

If you own something like a Rab Vapour Rise jacket for hillwalking, then it might be worth bringing it along for the night section. 

• Options

I have a smelly hanson half zip long sleeve jersey. I've used it for a few years and is a perfect breathable warm layer. Usually wear a light t under it and if it gets to -10ish i may consider putting my coat on as well.

It will have to be Arctic conditions for me to wear trousers and ditch my shorts the cold really helps with pain managment in my legsimage.

• Options

I expect that those Icebreaker long sleeve merino wool jumpers would also  be pretty handy for this job.