Options

Winter 100

Comments

• Options

I used to get horrible problems with calves and did a bit of gymwork to build them up. I would assume then he is looking at taping the calves to support the achilles, by effectively giving the tendon the support. Hence I dont see why you cant have both as they are doing different things. I tend to wear compression tights for all races in any case and think they are great and really aid recovery afterwards.

I've had both in the past, tho not for a full 100 so I dont know whether there is an aggravation/chafeing factor. If it does kick in, you can always rip the tape off!

• Options

WiB I can't say i have a preference because i wouldn't normally use either but after the problems i've had lately i'm paranoid about further injury. If i was to choose i wouldn't wear guards unless i was getting real good benefit.

I thought about both pmo but wasn't sure if it would have the desired effect. 

• Options
    *Dill* wrote (see)

I thought about both pmo but wasn't sure if it would have the desired effect. 

What would be the desired effect do you think and are you worried one would counteract the other?

• Options

Think i'll get taped up on Friday anyway seeing as it's a freebie..image

• Options

I suppose with tape pulling the muscles up and compression squishing it in i did think they may act as opposing forces when i really need the achilles protected more than anything.

Probably over thinking it..

• Options

yep - if you think it thru they are not contradicting each other. If anything you are over squishing it if you put it like that. If they were contrdicting then one would be squishing and the other would be pulling - but here they are not

And as its a freebie then ust ear in mind, if you feel it chafe, then rip it off image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Ah ok... get stuck into some tape then image

• Options

Going back to the earlier point about the baselayer - I had taken that to mean a spare top at all times. Seems sensible incase it does turn cold fast, and you're not moving so fast.

• Options

Your baselayer will always be spare until you put it on. image.

I'm not happy about carrying it round my waist so may have to change to a bigger pack.

• Options
    Dill I e mailed James today just to clarify what the extra layer meant, he said that if you start off in shorts and t shirt you'll have to carry a long sleeve top and waterproof trousers or tights but if you start in tights and a long sleeve top you don't need to carry anything other than hat/gloves/waterproof jacket
  • Options

As far as the calf guards issue is concerned I have ditched mine in favour of compression sox. Don,t know if they make a real difference but they make me " feel better prepared". For me running through the night is all about my frame of mind.

The kit is all rather minimal compared with Mountain Marathons so it will all go into my 20l pack padded out with bubble wrap to stop bounce.

• Options

I will probably stick with my shorts and wear a long sleeve top then. That way  i only have to get my waterproofs in my pack.

• Options

Hoping I can make it a hat trick of 100s for 2012!

I will be taking this particular one very seriously. 

Taking into account the weather conditions, it might just be the hardest of the Centurion events!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    If you don't count the POS race image if you get good weather I think it wil be fine, just a little more darkness.
  • Options

It's looking pretty wet until early Sunday on the forecast in front of me. Only worry is my feet. I'm trying bees wax hand cream to stop them mascerating - seems OK up to 30 miles (Caesars Camp) so fingers crossed

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Bees wax handcream? Do you apply it like vaseline or body glide?

How did you get on at Caesars pmo?

• Options

Apply it for a few days before the race, and it leaves a thin layer of wax on your feet - it's like a natural barrier cream. My toes didnt have a wrinkle after 6 hours of wet feet at CC.

In the end I stopped after the 30 - predictably - the conditions were appalling. I didn't see the value of just trudging it out, and was worried about injuring myself. Worked out reasonably well as I was able to put in a decent training week following that.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Will be interested to hear how that goes at the weekend then.

I thought the first couple of laps were ok at CC but the 2nd half of the course was pretty churned up for the last 30 miles of the 50. My legs were fine but my hips were a bit sore after all the sliding around!

• Options

Me tooimage

It was all pretty tough after the 50 and 100s had chrned it up for 12 hours. I managed to turn my ankles a few times where there were hard bits in the mire - one so bad it made my knee hurt, but got through in one peice. Also got really tired at around 3:30, just a bit dazed and lost focus for around 30 minutes, but got myself back together again. Wonder how many times I'l go through that this wekend....

• Options
    Might be worth a look at some sealskins socks for the weekend, I know from my runs along the north spur of the ridgeway the trail alongside the river gets very boggy
  • Options

Lirish, how do the sealskins work out if you have sweaty feet? I'd assumed that they would hold it against the skin? I tried drymax, and found my feet were wetter with them than without.

It's too late for me to try them before the race now - had my last run yesterday, just 48 hours to go image

• Options
    Pmo the times I've used them I applied talc pretty liberally as often as I could and that worked pretty well, though it was in the depths of winter and my sweat rate wasn't what it might have been during warmer times.

My last run was a couple of weeks ago, in fact I think is weekends run may total more mileage than I've done in the last month image
  • Options

Looking for a positive, at least you'll be well restedimage

I'm feeling less fresh than I'd like. Not coping too well with tapering, legs were very keen last night. Must remember to go out nice and slow...

• Options
    Each to their own on sox I find. But will be taking multiple pairs this w/e and have someone shout at me if I forget to change!!! Else I mite be bringing flippers. The Ridgeway should be drier at least image
  • Options
    Good luck everyone - wish I could have been there with you, as it is my weekend challenge is parkrun - 5k feels like quite a distance at the moment!!
  • Options

Feet maceration is a major prob for me. Hope the dregs in my hydropel bottle lasts the race. That and 25 mile sock changes should see me right.

• Options

Pmo I used sealskinz on day 2 of the omm . 6 hrs of bog and rain but my feet stayed  fairly dry. ( I normally sweat a lot !) . I shall have them in my drop bag as I don,t know  how well they will stand  up to longer distances. If I put them on I will take spare socks in my pack.

• Options

O dear. Just checked the forecast and it looks horrendous..

Nice.

• Options

I just can't get myself worked up for this, really not excited at all about running, very very tempted to just say feck it and have the weekend to myself..

• Options

Wet and windy is better than hot and humid for me.

All hell is breaking loose down here in devon. Several rivers overflowing their banks. Does the Thames ever actually overflow onto the towpath on the first two legs?