Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

C'mon Lit - get your medals out for the lads!image

Is Coach coaching you too? Excellent if so. Your groin affected 40:59 beats my groin affected 41:19image

• Options

Yes. Hmm. Same coach, same injury... image I think yours is worse than mine though.

Medals: top quality items made of real gold.

/members/images/699204/Gallery/IMG_4301_(640x480).jpg

Oh, and also won a £50 voucher for a local running/triathlon shop and a full biomechanical assessment. Latter probably just as well given the groin thing.

• Options

Nice medals - well jell - one of my really long term goals is to win a medal - probably a V50 where top 3 medal is my best hope but that is thousands of miles away..

Another way of looking at the same coach thing would be same coach, same minor niggle, same massive PBs.image

• Options

36.7 mile week - two quality sessions in there a 6 mile MP down to Tempo on Wed am which went 6:59 down to 6:26 with each mile being quicker than one before and then a 3 miles at 10k pace with 2 mins recovery - should have been 6:15-6:20 but actually 6:10, 6:28, 6:26 and hard work although last two miles were into quite a strong breeze.

Sunday 12 miler became a 10.7 mile run on tired legs after a 5-6 mile fellwalk with about 3000ft of ascent which I'm sure must equate to at least a 12m LSR.

Off to Test Match at Durham on Friday for the day and got a Quality Session to squeeze in before I go so that will be an interesting day hydration wise!

9 weeks to target HM, 4 weeks to 10k sub 40 attempt.

Cheers, Skinny

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

and therefore also won the county championship.

So in some sports if you won the county championships you would go forward to some kind of national event - anything similar in running?

• Options

I don't think so. But you can enjoy the image of me being the slowest woman in the national 10k championships if you like.

• Options

You would think that if they bother having County Championships then the next natural step would be national championships where top 3 or so from each county raced but I guess there's not enough money in running to fund.

So apart from all your racing what does your training look like at the moment? We're running similar times and similar events with the same target event only one week apart - I'm very competitive and don't want to end up being the number two athlete on this thread under Stevie's tutelage image so would be good to know what you're up to training wise!

PS Post 500!

• Options

Haha. I wouldn't worry; I notice from my runbritain stalking that your 5 mile time is a fair bit quicker than mine.

I don't really know how all the championships work, but the county championships are just the local AAA going 'okay, we've decided to use these races as our championships this year' and then if you live in the county you tick the box to enter yourself. I think there probably are national championships but you don't qualify for them by winning the county ones, e.g. VLM for the marathon.

• Options

Hmmm - your marathon is infinitely better than mine, your HM is currently 42 secs better than mine, your 10k is 20 secs better than mine (over a hilly route and a hot night) and (after a bit of stalkingimage) I now know your real name and that my 5 miles is 55 secs better than yours and my 5k park run is a minute and one second faster than yours (but clearly that is affected by routes).

So we are pretty even according to the PBsimage but there is clearly a bit of a mismatch between our 5 mile and 10k discrepancies (I hope to put this right on 4th September!)

• Options

Let's not talk about my parkrun time. I had a hangover.

• Options

PS when did you do a marathon? Clearly pre-runbritain.

• Options

I've never done a marathon - that's why your time is infinitely better!!

• Options

That's what I thought. You will just have to work out a pretend marathon time based on your training pace. That should be better than mine.

• Options
    You're like a couple of Stevie's lab-rats. What does one have to do to get a coach around here?

But you know what this means Skinney? You're definitely going to have to do a marathon now. (Good stalking btw)

Well my week looked like this for what it's worth:

Tue 4M eash

Wed 17M bike

Thur 10k interclub

Sat 16M bike

Sun 24M bike + 3M easy run

So 57 miles bike and 13 miles easy running. Calf is still not right, but we fly to Turkey later today for a fortnight. I've decided not to pack my trainers so I'll see what effect two weeks of complete rest has.

The club also put on a running form/technique coaching session on Saturday morning. About an our on form and drills then an hour on stretching, injury prevention, foam rollers etc. All very good and I have a new exercise - sprinters lunges - and a couple of different stretches to incorporate into my regime.
  • Options

You can always run along the beach in your bare feet Lou!

Sounds like a really good couple of hours at the club - you can spend your holiday stretching by the pool - guaranteed funny looks all round!

Enjoy your break.

• Options

Hi Richard - interesting question. I think there were three runs that gave me a step up in some way or other but it should be noted that two of them were races and one of these left me unable to train for nearly a week afterwards so effect may have been countered by that.

1) The Cross Bay Challenge 13.5 miles mainly into a strong headwind and on a beach. From a stamina point of view I think this really added something to my legs (but this was the one that took a week out of my training).

2) The 10k race at Dumfries - I hadn't run at anything like 6:45 pace before and this made my HM pace of around 7:10 at the time feel a lot easier afterwards.

3) the 4*1.2 miles at 10k pace (6:45m/m) with 2 min recoveries that I ran in the US with half of each lap up a gradual hill - that was hardest training run i did, left me flat out on the ground after the fourth rep. This was set as a 5*1mile effort but ran it in the dark and so finished under a light each rep.

Interesting to me to note is that 6:45m/m was near my actual pace in the HM (6:48).

Finally a week before (8 days actually) I ran 14 miles progressing from Easy to 3 miles at Steady, 3 miles at MP then 3 miles at HMP - this was a nice confidence booster but perhaps by then I was already fit enough?

So in summary I would recommend some (not many) runs longer or tougher than the race length and some runs where you go faster than race pace (but I'm not the Coach!!).

• Options

Last week 40.9 miles including 13.4 LSR, 30 mins alternating every 5 mins between MP and HMP (love that session) and a 7*1k intervals with 90 sec recoveries (done at 6am as was going to first day of Test).

Hit my paces on all the quality and looking at this week I've earned a slightly easier week!image [Only one quality session - Coach hasn't set it yet though - got a feeling it might be brutalimage

Cheers, Skinny

• Options
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

30 mins alternating every 5 mins between MP and HMP (love that session) 

You forgot the sarcasm smiley there.

• Options

No I really do like this session - however coach has given me its evil brother to do this week (alternating MP and tempo) so might have a different view by tomorrow!image

• Options

Well, that'll teach you to say you liked it in public.

• Options
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

I ran a race recently, first one back after an injury and whilst I was running a PB I held back from puking over the line effort simply because when it started really hurting I knew deep down that I would run better in a few weeks so what was the point.

Grr, just seen this - I beat you by 20 secs and then you say you weren't even trying. image

• Options

image I had to think of some counter to your 'hot and hilly.....two noticeable hills you had to run up twice.....sharp turn on gravel path....blah blah.....feeling sick etc'

You made it sound like you have a sub 39 just waiting to happenimage

Fingers crossed only 3 weeks to go till I find out what I can do when I'm fit - have you got any more 10ks to do before your half?

• Options

Bloody race doesn't even count as a 10k PB on power of 10 after all that, because it's classed as multi-terrain. Any more 10ks? Hmm. Maybe.

Anyway, don't forget: it's harder for girls. Because we've got shorter legs. Fact.

• Options

Don't forget I'm an old man though! Although 133 in the Female marathon rankings for 2013 is pretty impressive - I'd love to be 133 in the V45 for any distance!

• Options

Stalker. image Anyway, there's still several months of 2013 to go...

But I've cheered up now I've runbritain stalked you and I have a better handicap, whatever that means.

• Options

It means mine must be out of dateimageimage

• Options

Good point. Better fix it while you're still able to run without the aid of a zimmer frame though.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Loving the banter on here!

literatin wrote (see)

Anyway, don't forget: it's harder for girls. Because we've got shorter legs. Fact.

Agree totally!

And we all know that the marathon is the ONLY distance that matters - the rest is just playing at it! image  (says she who has shocking 10k and HMs compared to marathon time.....)

• Options

Minni - bullying is not nice - stop ganging up on me!image

All this marathon talk is making me feel sleepyimage

But still got my 4 mile easy to do so better be a good boy and get it done.

• Options

Ah, don't bother Skinny. We won't tell SG.