Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It has to be my turn now!!! Of the 3 core distances my pbs are becoming so old that I am soon going to have to declare them as being from a previous running life! Even my 5k pb (which i thought was soft) turns a year old this weekend! Which does suggest I should at least have a crack at it saturday given my future lack of opportunity.

Good training progress though Skinny, lets hope it keeps going injury free.

well i am nearly a stone heavier and half a foot shorter than you skinny so that weight has to sit somewhereimage

I got to 19.5 average on fridays cycle home. Its quite annoying as about 9 miles into my cycle there is a ridiculous mile lone steep climb and my average pace at that point is about 20mph. I then lose about 1.5mph on the climb and have to work hard to get it back in the 19's over the last 4 miles. My school holiday aim is to do entire trip in 20mph.

Spot of physio at lunchtime. I am noticing a direct correlation between doing lots of hamstring stretching and my nerve pain fading away and vice versa. 13 miler scheduled for this evening then.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

2) Muddy and Lit - due to Lit's time starting 17 whereas Muddy's started 18 I didn't realise quite how close you were - presumably you must have been able to see Lit's back for most of the race Muddy? 

No cos I spent the first 2k chasing him.

Yes somehow I missed this bit of Muddy's report and I don't think you mentioned it in yours?image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes somehow I missed this bit of Muddy's report and I don't think you mentioned it in yours?image

I have been a bit busy.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I am technically on annual leave from my old job not having started my new job yet

??image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, I've unpacked one box of books so far today.

• Options

Skinny - Cheers, and cheers for the table update. I was seeing not only Lit's back but stars at one point. Forgot to mention the shout out from Bob near the turnaround point to which I could only respond with a thumbs up.

DT - Definitely get the park run in. Almost every time I do one I am thinking "ah this is not so bad as before" and then at 2-3km that feeling of suffocation starts and the end can't come soon enough. Enjoy ! image

Oh yeah, 8 and a bit easy paced miles with the club tonight. Ran all the way home before I realised I'd left the car with my house keys back where the club meet up. So some hill reps too image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hmmm, that's not encouraging me to get out of bed Saturday am!

Nice easy 13.1 tonight. Quite a pleasant and comfortable trot. 

• Options

Nice running DT and Muddy (you forgot your car?image)

Lit - I was thinking about you in the shower this morning and have just followed through with my thoughts once I got to work.

82.8% WAVA - when you put that into the calculator for other distances you start getting some silly times! Of course you will just say that is because WAVA is silly which is partly true but is based on some logic nevertheless.

Exciting stuff.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Lit - I was thinking about you in the shower this morning and have just followed through with my thoughts once I got to work.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lit - I was thinking about you in the shower this morning and have just followed through in my shorts once I got to work.

Easy on there Skinnyimage

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I still cannot seem to do the whole quote thing!

• Options

DT19 wrote (see)

Lit - I was thinking about you in the shower this morning and have just followed through in my shorts once I got to work.

Lets be honest its easy to get a bit overexcited about a 17:55 5k!

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

DT - good, mid week run, is that your long run for the week?

Funster - image.

Well I have finished the trials now and I can get back to a more balanced running routine. I got some feedback yesterday but no actual numbers, they will come through by the end of the week.

So the air I have been breathing in for a couple of hours at each trial has either been normoxic environmental air, hypoxic air or hyperoxic air followed by ischaemic pre-conditioning or a control. This involved having the leg cuffs on, and as I was discussing with Bob, the ischaemic pre-conditioning involves them inflating the thigh cuffs pretty high and I don't mind admitting was pretty uncomfortable. Although not as painful as what they told me the elite level cyclists do to familiarise them to the feeling of lactic acid in the legs image.   

Really interesting and glad I took part but pleased that it's over. I'd definitely do something similar again, apparently they quite often have studies going on involving runners. However, I wouldn't sign up to one which was as time consuming as the one I've just finished.  

• Options
    Tommy2D wrote (see)

So the air I have been breathing in for a couple of hours at each trial has either been normoxic environmental air, hypoxic air or hyperoxic air followed by ischaemic pre-conditioning or a control.

Ahhh,  I see (said the blind man who could not see at all)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy- forgetting the car is almost on par with forgetting children I would say!!

Tommy- yes thats my long run for the week. I take the view that if im out on a week night for an hour I just as well be for close to 2 hours as either way i dont really see the kids and dinner is late, but then come Sunday i'm not taking up the best part of the morning with a run, particularly given I am not an early rising sort.

What you've said above makes little sense to me, so hopefully the results will be a little easier to follow!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh, and re. wava it is a bit silly and the comparison doesn't really work as I had a better wava score for 5k than anything else even when my 5k time was manifestly not as good (as in: not as difficult to achieve and not as good in McMillan terms) as some of my other distance times, especially the marathon.

• Options

So you've been in and calculated the times then I would guessimage

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    muddyfunster wrote (see)

I was seeing not only Lit's back but stars at one point.

So she was wearing her Wonderwoman outfit!

DT19 wrote (see)

Haha.  Nice one, DT!

Tommy - Hypoxic air?  Just googled it. Were you running so fast that you were in danger of spontaneous combustion?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

So you've been in and calculated the times then I would guessimage

I put the 5k time into McMillan. I don't bother calculating wava scores as I don't think they're comparable across race distances.

• Options

Based on some of the times they were showing for you I'm sure they're not! Quite good fun though.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    • Normoxic environmental air (O2 content of 20.9% simulating sea level).
    • Hypoxic air (O2 content lowered to 12% simulating altitude of 4000m).
    • Hyperoxic air (O2 content of 70%).

Ischaemia - a reduced oxygen supply to the muscle. The bodies response is to this is to increase blood flow and oxygenation in the muscles.

• Options
    PeteHew wrote (see)
    muddyfunster wrote (see)

I was seeing not only Lit's back but stars at one point.

So she was wearing her Wonderwoman outfit!

Very clever Pete! image

• Options
    Tommy2D wrote (see)

Ischaemia - a reduced oxygen supply to the muscle. The bodies response is to this is to increase blood flow and oxygenation in the muscles.

Hi Tommy - thanks for the added definitions - I suffer from asthma (mild but bothers me on the cold mornings) - I find that when I'm wheezing my legs get tired faster which I've always linked to poor oxygen flow to the muscles rather than my whole body being poisoned by the carbon dioxide it can't get rid of - so I would be interested in what 'increased blood flow and oxygenation' does to the muscles?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I do like a post with bullet points. I too needed the explanations as I was too lazy to google them.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Tommy2D wrote (see)

Hi Tommy - thanks for the added definitions - I suffer from asthma (mild but bothers me on the cold mornings) - I find that when I'm wheezing my legs get tired faster which I've always linked to poor oxygen flow to the muscles rather than my whole body being poisoned by the carbon dioxide it can't get rid of - so I would be interested in what 'increased blood flow and oxygenation' does to the muscles?

According to the notes I was given... "as well as the muscles undergoing occlusion this occurs in the rest of the body and offers better protection against further ischaemic challenges. High intensity exercise in itself incurs a similar challenge and if the body has pre-prepared for such conditions it may better tolerate the exercise".

I'm not sure if that helps answer your question or not really image.

• Options

Being a scientist myself, I knew what it all meant (well sort of).

So the big question is will you be continuing with ischeamic training?

• Options

Tommy - Well done. You made it. Yes, that stuff they have the cyclists doing sounds utterly horrendous, and as I mentioned at the time at the borderline of 'dubious practice' in my view. Did they give you any helpful stats and numbers about your own physiology / fitness? Not sure I'm going to be able to make that Charnwood Open event on 13th August now incidentally. Despite not racing it, I ended up as 2nd of 4 points scorers at the Worksop Summer League race (results finally out, Lit) for our Vets A Team who are still sitting in 3rd, and thus the bronze medal position overall. 13th August is also the final race at Teversal, so as I'll be in line for a team award now, I really ought to turn up there to try to help secure it.

Regarding the talk of building context around Lit's 17:55, another way I like to look at things is by working out for how long in a longer elite event us mere mortals would be able to keep up if we were running at PB pace over shorter distances. I noticed on Sunday that both of the first two 5km splits in the Commonwealth Games women's marathon for instance were slower than Lit's new 5k PB. Usually do this for myself though obviously, and had my 1500m pace as keeping up with the women's 10000m over their (albeit rather slow) opening laps last night. I also noticed that John Lane who finished 4th in the Decathlon came over the line in his 1500m in 4:55 last night - the same as my PB. Not sure I could run 4:55 having done 9 other events in the preceding 36 hours or so mind! image

A handful of very easy miles for me over the last couple of nights ahead of tonight's 3000m Vets League outing in Nuneaton. Not an A race obviously, but should still be able to comfortably beat the PB of 11:02 which was done immediately post-injury off minimal mileage and zero specific training. Aiming to set off at 85 second laps, which if I can hold it might see me sneak under 10:40. Don't get under way until 8.25pm - going to be a late one by the time I've raced, cooled down, driven the hour or so home, fed, showered and climbed wearily into bed! image

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    lou Diamonds wrote (see)

Being a scientist myself, I knew what it all meant (well sort of).

So the big question is will you be continuing with ischeamic training?

Nope. I've just googled thigh cuffs and the first couple of search results are probably not items you would use in applied physiological testing.

Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

Tommy - Well done. You made it. Yes, that stuff they have the cyclists doing sounds utterly horrendous, and as I mentioned at the time at the borderline of 'dubious practice' in my view. Did they give you any helpful stats and numbers about your own physiology / fitness? Not sure I'm going to be able to make that Charnwood Open event on 13th August now incidentally. Despite not racing it, I ended up as 2nd of 4 points scorers at the Worksop Summer League race (results finally out, Lit) for our Vets A Team who are still sitting in 3rd, and thus the bronze medal position overall. 13th August is also the final race at Teversal, so as I'll be in line for a team award now, I really ought to turn up there to try to help secure it.

Regarding the talk of building context around Lit's 17:55, another way I like to look at things is by working out for how long in a longer elite event us mere mortals would be able to keep up if we were running at PB pace over shorter distances. I noticed on Sunday that both of the first two 5km splits in the Commonwealth Games women's marathon for instance were slower than Lit's new 5k PB. Usually do this for myself though obviously, and had my 1500m pace as keeping up with the women's 10000m over their (albeit rather slow) opening laps last night. I also noticed that John Lane who finished 4th in the Decathlon came over the line in his 1500m in 4:55 last night - the same as my PB. Not sure I could run 4:55 having done 9 other events in the preceding 36 hours or so mind! image

A handful of very easy miles for me over the last couple of nights ahead of tonight's 3000m Vets League outing in Nuneaton. Not an A race obviously, but should still be able to comfortably beat the PB of 11:02 which was done immediately post-injury off minimal mileage and zero specific training. Aiming to set off at 85 second laps, which if I can hold it might see me sneak under 10:40. Don't get under way until 8.25pm - going to be a late one by the time I've raced, cooled down, driven the hour or so home, fed, showered and climbed wearily into bed! image

Cheers Bob. I get my results emailed to me at the end of the week and then I can give them a call or go down and chat. they had hoped to fit it all in yesterday but time was short anyway and then I had to rush off to work. Thanks for the heads up about the 3000m, I might still head over but will make a decision nearer the time.

I think John Lane was injured last night, he limped over the line, still a decent P.B performance by him, he's one to watch, although Aston Eaton from the U.S is on another level to everybody else at the moment.

Have a good one at Nuneaton tonight, that PB is almost certainly going to be crushed. Oh, and you forgot to add 'post race report to RW' on your list of jobs for tonight image.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bob - dont get me started on the womens 1500m final last night.  After each lap All i kept saying was thats really slow they have to speed up soon as they hit 70 and then a 68 for the opening 2 laps.  8 secs slower than i went through my 1500m pb.  Mind you the last lap was fast i think the lead did a 61 but i guess thats no suprise after taking the rest of the race off. image  Just dont get why someone in that final who doesnt have a 61s last 400m in their locker just sits in group running slow and doesnt take the pace on at lap 3.