Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't need frozen actually on. I think I can recite the whole script from memory!

Is your turbo trainer powered or magnetic?

No improvement in leg after yesterday's fizz. Off for steady cycle on spin bike then pump. 

• Options
    Will catch up on everyone's posts next week. Just back from lovely week in Lakes.

20:33 parkrun today - 6:23, 6:33, 6:35 + scraps.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Sounds good, skinny.  Would appreciate some details of your mountain walks. How I wish I could run a parkrun as fast as that - and presumably you weren't pushing too hard!

• Options

Surprise Skinny parkrun! Does this mean you're BACK?! image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Philpub, i was sent a link to the world v40 rankings, and I spotted your name on there for 5000m.  image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good work skinny. How did the effort level feel like for the pace?
  • Options
    Come on Skinny. You can't leave us all in suspense like this.

Turbo is magnetic. Cost about ??100 from halfords.
  • Options

He's catching up on all the posts, Lou. Perhaps he is a slow reader.

• Options

okay - I haven't caught up with all the posts - I've done no running for two weeks but got up early this morning and just decided to go out and run my best and set a base level for my base training that will hopefully start on Monday with the proviso that I would not compromise my form towards the end.

Bearing in mind the start is slightly downhill and the end is slightly uphill I ran a virtually flatly paced 5k which I impressed myself with - whether I am BACK or not depends on how I feel tomorrow and the day after.

When I first got injured I think my 5k PB was faster than Lit's - now the best I can manage is 2 mins 38 secs slower! I suppose I am a little short on any specific 5k training thoughimage

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Very good base point for you, skinny.

Woke today and injury feeling much better. Was sore yesterday but I put that down to the bashing from physio. I think the trick this time is to not run on it whilst I can still feel it niggling whilst walking! Perhaps another week of cycling and see how it improves more and maybe one more physio session. 

I have a christening today, which is a ridiculous use of my afternoon. I wouldn't mind however the last time the friends having it went to church was their wedding. I think its an excuse for an afternoon of beers though as they've booked out the rugby club. I'm keeping well away from the booze though with a plan to leave late afternoon and go cycling. 

• Options

Morning all, back to normal here too after a few days in North Norfolk tagged on to the end of last weekend's wedding in Suffolk.

Good to see Skinny back with a solid parkrun time, bodes well for a swift return to form once you get some proper mileage and training under your belt. image

Nice work on your world ranking, PP. Have you got some details of that link, Dean? Would be interested to see where some of the other fellas from the Masters weekend stack up globally. Good luck at the Cup Final today - naffed off I won't be joining you.

Some good sessions from Lit (as usual), Pete, Lou, Marrows, Mace and Richard. Good luck to the latter today at Paisley, I predict a successful outing if conditions are favourable. Lit's got to be looking at sub-38 as a minimum at Stirling (next week?) surely - closer to 37:30 perhaps not out of the question...?

Sounds like you're being sensible with the injury, DT.

Where do I sign up for that Body Pump class, Lou? image

Building towards what I hope will be a peak for the track season here. I got some miles in whilst I was away (upping mileage to 80 odd in just over a fortnight), and after a day off on  Friday, am now chancing my arm with a short burst of intensity before backing off to freshen up for the final push later in the month. Lactic Tolerance session along the canal yesterday, track at Charnwood tomorrow, and (hopefully) an 800m at Oxford on Wednesday.

Long warm up (nearly 4 miles) yesterday including 3k at sub-LT as this seems to work well to get things ticking over, then 200m (in 35s), and 3 x 400m supposedly at 800m pace. A very disruptive wind made comparison of the reps pretty meaningless, but averaged just under 4:50 pace for the session, which would translate to 2:24 for the 800, so off the 2:20 target, but the middle 400 rep dragged the session as a whole down, with the final rep coming in at 69s. Will hope to again go through 400m at Oxford in about that as I did at Birmingham, but then hang on more strongly this time in the second lap. Off for a recovery paced 3 or 4 shortly.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Richard, assuming that was a tempo run in preparation for GNR, you got remarkably close to your pb.  It's hard to psych yourself up if it's not a target race.  Perhaps you'll get the adrenaline rush next week image.

• Options

Well done Richard. Sounds annoying with the overcrowding at the start though. Maybe you are selling yourself short by starting too far back? Which in turn makes it less adrenaline-fuelled because you are surrounded by people jogging along chatting rather than people who are focused.

Today's non-running news is that after my LSR I cycled to a farm with a STEAK BARN and ate a delicious steak. It was very very good. Then I cycled home more slowly.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Bob, best of luck for the peak race.

Richard, was that the race plan in advance? I've done a big city 10k and wont again. Too many morons in and around the 40 min marker going at 9mm pace. At least with a half you can recover it.

Shame I wasn't drinking at todays christening, my mate put on a free bar! 

Physically I'm feeling ready to run now. Mentally though I'm thinking 'we've had two weeks, let's just make sure with another'. Decent personal spin session tonight and got a week of pump, cycling and spin planned. May run Friday perhaps. 

• Options
    Promising run out given the circumstances and your approach, Richard - hadn't realised you weren't racing it. You should be well in for a decent PB at Stirling if you don't go too hard in the GNR next week.
  • Options

Above updated for

Mace becoming a sumo wrestler

Bob knocking 12 secs off his 5k PB

Tommy getting a 10 mile PB that will be easy to beat once he runs a 10 mile race that is only 10 and not 11 miles!image

• Options

Well done to Richard on only missing his 10k PB by 9 seconds in a race which clearly wasn't optimal - sounds like a 43:xx should be very possible ay Stirling and maybe less?

Its a year since we did the first Top Trumps table so here it is below. Not everyone was on it and all the categories are not quite the same but interesting nevertheless. Some of us have improved our times quite a lot.

/members/images/673230/Gallery/Capture_121.PNG

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

If only i was on it a year ago, i'd have had a couple of gold cells!!

• Options

I've read back but I'm not going to 'do a Bob post' and try and cover everything.

Just to pick up on Richard and his race day adrenaline as this was something I think I brought up originally.

On race day I feel I benefit in two ways from my normal training. The first is that its race day and being surrounded by other people at the start and knowing 'this is it' - this is why I do 3 or 4 poos on race day but none for a normal training day - to get the best from this adrenaline I need to make sure I control it in first half a mile or so otherwise it could be a bad thing.

The other way I benefit though is that I am running with other people either running to their stride, or being able to chase a back or try and keep in front of a chaser - because I always train on my own this is something I only get on race day - as you do a lot of your quality sessions with others at a club it may be that there is not any gain from this element on race day and is why you are able to hit such good times in training sessions that I could not manage?

• Options
    PeteHew wrote (see)

Sounds good, skinny.  Would appreciate some details of your mountain walks.

Pete - we spent the week walking on the shoulders of giants but did not go up any of the high ones and also only had three fell walking days out of the 6 just to keep a bit of variety.

So we did Whin Rigg and Illgill Head (the ridge walk above Wastwater Screes) from Eskdale and back down the Miterdale Valley via Burnmoor Tarn.

We also travelled to Langdale and did Pike O' Blisco from Wall End and back down by Stool End - the weather was spectacular that day and the views were superb - the top is sandwiched between Crinkle Crags on one side and the Langdale Pikes the other side.

We saved Thursday or Friday to do Great Gable which we could see right up the valley from our cottage - except on Thursday or Friday we couldn't see it as the weather was rubbish so we didn't do it - however it cleared out at about 4pm so we went up Buckbarrow at other side of valley for a good view of the Screes.

• Options

SKinny, I have not heard of most of those.  'Stool End'? It sounds like you just made up a lot of places that could be in the lake district.  What's planned for your first week back training?

Richard I wouldn't expect race-day adrenaline if not racing!  Friend doing GNR expects the crowds will add 15 mins to his time (he's done 1:45 and will aim at 2:00 for GNR) - is it really that bad? Or is he managing expectations?

Bob - fast 3K in a warmup - do you do that only for very fast short reps?

DT - private spinning? do tell.

Busy weekend away and broken garmin so I left the mile cutdown to first thing this morning, when I could use the track:  1600 @ 6:25 pace, 1200 @ 6:22, 800@ 5:58, 400 @ 5:22, 200 @ 5:06 off 200m walk/jog recoveries.  My paces are all over the place: the 1200 should have been quicker and the 400 slower.

I have DOMS in left quad after winning the cereal box game (very convincingly)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

private spinning as in i have done so many spin classes over the last few years i just note down my favourite bits from various classes then put a few together and do my own class just for me. Sometimes I can't always make a spin class or the one thats on I dont like so I go to the studio and do it on my own.

whats the cereal box game?

I think a 15 minute drop is being pessimistic.

• Options

In defence of skinny, I know those places well although I've not walked to the top of Buckbarrow.  I admit some of them sound as if they belong in The Shire! Funny thing about GG always seeming to attract bad weather.  Even on a clear blue sky day, there is often a small cloud obscuring its summit.  The view of Gable from the foot of Wastwater has to be one of my favourites, though.

I was once having lunch near Illgill Head and we suddenly found ourselves surrounded by thick cloud.  Thankfully, I had a compass (long before GPS!) and was able to navigate away from the Screes: wouldn't want to slide down there! I'm also reminded of camping in Eskdale at a Bank Holiday and choosing a walk that I thought would be quiet, Harter Fell. Worked a treat. Didn't see a soul on the way up but as we were having lunch in a sheltered spot just below the top, two hikers appeared wearing nothing but socks and boots image.

marrows - what is the cereal box game?

Running?  I did a lovely 18k lsr yesterday and just over 5k recovery run to pick up the newspaper this morning.  Easy week planned until Sunday.

• Options

I went for a really stupid bike ride yesterday - I didn't think it was stupid when I set off but when I arrived home completely spent 4 hours later I knew it was too hard for me.

I made it to 40 miles in 3:15 and all the tough climbing was out of the way but just ran out of fuelling and my quads just felt like they had melted away - last 6 miles took me over 45 mins and I had to stop and get off a couple of times as felt a bit lightheaded - over 4500 feet of climbing - think that might be my last long bike ride of the summer.

Running wise this week I'm just doing 4 * 3miles but will go to 4 * 4 miles week after if no ill effects then 4* 5 miles week after that. Then I might stop there for a bit - my aim is to be running about 30 miles a week for November through to January but need to get to 20 miles a week problem free first.

Pete - I'll post a couple of photos of view from our cottage. Unfortunately there was a bump with some trees on between us and the Lake so GG looks a little bit insignificant but still a cracking view - the garden also had a plum tree in it and all the plums were ripe - that was packed lunch fruit sorted!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Richard - well done image I tend to agree with DT that it could be because of you doing quality sessions with others. Or maybe you're just the laid back type ?

Bob - i can't remember Lit not hitting her training paces in a race so 5:58's for 4x1m must mean sub-37. Add to that the fact she admits to being lazy .....

Skinny - excellent parkrun image

Pete - nice k'ing image

• Options

My garden has a plum tree in it full of ripe plums. I can't reach all of the buggers though as there is a holly tree in the way. They hang there tormenting me.

I just bought my new bike. It has 8x as many gears as my old bike.

• Options

/members/images/673230/Gallery/photo_1.JPG

View from our bedroom window on day we didn't climb Great Gable (centre shot).

/members/images/673230/Gallery/photo_4.JPG

And same view on Thursday and Friday when we decided not to!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

what bike do you have lit?

• Options

I can't say in case Marrows thinks it's rubbish.