Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

DT - Thanks for explaining about body pump and setting off the endorsement of cross training methods. It may have seemed like I was against it. I'm not; I was just wondering how you weighted it within your training load. I think I'm a tad too puny to do something like body pump but I do use the elliptical in short bursts to get warmed up for the physio routines and often in place of a recovery run. It's also good when injured (which was when I first discovered it). I don't think it is aerobically that taxing though unless you whack the resistance right up - my heart rate barely scrapes past 100 on it (and I use 90bpm as a recovery heart rate when running repetitions).

Glad the sports massage seems to have helped out too.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Cheers Muddy, yes last report is quite poor on the SPAG front. And yes, I did enjoy a day off from running yesterday. Having said that, I am looking forward to an easy 5 miles later on.

Is everyone else being bombarded with emails from Sweatshop and Ikano about entering the Robin Hood half or full marathon? Wondering if they've not got as many entrants as usual this year.

• Options

Evening all. Ta for the comments. Busy, boozy weekend at a family wedding with lots of the wrong sorts of food. Great fun, but don't think there'd be any PBs in me just now! Tried to blow the cobwebs away earlier with some hill sprints on an undulating route.

Good to see you back at it, SG. image Excellent effort off base mileage too - lots of upside to come with some event specific training once you pick a target you'd have to think.

The Swine sounds tough and like good prep for the XC delights to come, Tommy. Weird looking GPS trace. Are you sure you went the right way? image Good to see the pics of you in the club vest on Bookface too...took you approximately 9 months less than me to nail one of those! I think Beeston probably is quicker than Rushcliffe for me, purely because of the lack of proper cimbs - just some short banks to get up around the canal - flat as feck apart from that, and lots of long straights to get up your momentum. Shame about the 180 though - that's worth 5 seconds or so.

Hey velloo. Sorry to hear you've been struggling. Oh, and I owe Simon a mail... image

Marrows - Agree with the others on long intervals and particularly tempos for 10k. Gotta bite the bullet on those to race one as well as you're capable IMO I'm afraid! You as well, Muddy!

Nice to grab a 2nd spot, Mace - albeit in a 'cock & biscuits job' as they'd probably call it on SG's thread. No prize at all for 2nd then? Good news on the groin front.

HR was about 42 last time I checked - that was months ago when I was doing high volumes of aerobic mileage though. Probably more than that now with the lower mileage and regular trips into acidosis more recently.

Hope the run out went ok, DT. Ice Bucket Challenge - shite like that is one of the reasons I didn't log on to Faceache for 5 years.

Richard - sounds a sensible approach. One hard session per week is plenty when you're not targeting an event I'd say. Doubtful that there's more to come from me over 5k this year. I'll run a few more parkruns hard I expect, but (like Saturday's) they'll be off unspecific training. Still, 18:59 was the target for the year, so another one ticked off before the end of August. image

Right - time to go to the pub again. Ahem. image

• Options

Come and do Stirling 10k Richard!

My session today was the return of the popular 5 mins MP / 5 mins HMP session alternating for 45 minutes. Compared to 7 weeks ago (7.03) I covered 7.11 miles today, beating my 10k and 5 mile PBs again. Must do some actual races.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, pump is predominantly a female class so you would have more than enough hench to do it.

Run went OK at time. Was a bit stiff first few minutes and almost stopped, then it loosened off. However, its now all stiffened up and become sore. Really frustrated. Booked back into physio Friday am. Guess back to cycling for a few days at least. Or I bite the bullet, get to my 10k adequately trained then sort it afterwards. 

• Options
    DT19 wrote (see)

Or I bite the bullet, get to my 10k adequately trained then sort it afterwards. 

Don't do that.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I thought not....just wanted to put it out there in case somehow everyone else thought it would workimage

• Options

Ooh, Richard - if you come and do the East Neuk 10k in Anstruther, you could drive us there in your car, in exchange for which I could buy you fish and chips.

• Options

21 September. £8 including sandwiches and cakes. And it's sponsored by the fish bar! Maybe we'll get a voucher for a fish supper..

• Options

DT at body pump class:

http://moneycashsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/prydz_1280.jpg

• Options

Tsk. Can't believe you'd rather go to Skye on a birthday celebration than eat fish and chips on a windy beach. I'm not convinced it can be better than Stirling for a PB if the winning lady only did 39 minutes, but it's possible all the faster runners just stayed away because they wanted to do the Scottish champs instead.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lou- I very much wish thats how we all looked there. The male/female ratio is about right though.

My quads are really sore today. Whenever I have a bit of time from running (that has just been 10 days) the first week back leads to this everytime. Does anyone suffer that? I ended up cycling in today just nice and slow. The inury part of my left leg seems ok today though it maybe disguised within the doms.

• Options

That's just the Fife AC athletes though...

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Anyone been for a run??!!

Still no point for me. Had a good evening of stretching and foam rolling last night and got a heat pack in work today that i have to keep microwaving. Trying to really get on top of it.

Off for a steady 50 minutes on the spin bike at lunchtime. Back to physio tomorrow.

• Options

No, it's my rest day. I cycled to work though. Good luck with the rehab/physio.

• Options

Just done 5 miles.  Extremely busy with work at the moment, so I felt quite guilty about nipping out of the office.

Tempo last night was supposed to be 40 mins (or 6miles) at adjusted T pace of 6:52.  Found it difficult to maintain an even pace (I suspect gps may have been playing up) and it felt much too much like hard work so I cut the tempo section short at 5 miles.

Looking at the figures today might explain why it felt so hard. Paces were 6:55, 6:37, 6:34, 6:47, 6:51.  Perhaps I should pretend I meant to do it like that and it was some soft of extremely effective pyramid session.

DT - Are you sure that cycling/spinning isn't aggravating your hip?  I would imagine that the stresses on the hip aren't that different for running and cycling.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Another nice session Lit. You really have upped it in the last few months image

Lou, i find spinning really helps with relieving hip tightness and infact any tightness in that region. Maybe that's why my own niggle appears to be gone. Nice pyramid image

Good luck on Sunday Richard

DT - not sure about quads but when i had a week off last XMAS i nearly died on my first run back ( which was, stupidly, an LT session ) and didn't feel right for about a month after !!

After a week of nothing and then a week of easy running ( and a fun run image ) , i did a 6M 'perceived' MP run yesterday morning. Nice flatish 1M laps which, surprisingly, came out at 6:42, 6:30, 6:35, 6:35, 6:37, 6:35 and a 6:36 ave. Effort felt similar to Sunday's fun run but 32s a mile quicker - though it was quite hot on Sunday and i had to wear 2 tops.

Started to feel a bit harder than MP in the last 10mins and a review of my HR stats told me it was indeed a bit too quick and around 6:45-6:50 would have been more realistic. Which is pretty much my McMillan MP from my half pb in March so rather encouraging all things considered.

• Options

DT - Yep, but it's all rather boring to report.12 miles long Sunday run, 5 miles @ mp Tuesday night, 10k @ easy last night. 3 miles elliptical recovery this lunchtime. Maybe just look me up on Garmin Connect and save me the bother image  because it's a busy time for me too - trying to stick to the training plan, fit in work and do yet more decorating. Decided to change a carpet and thought while all the furniture's out of the way I might as well paint. Then while I was at B&Q thought I'd pick up a couple of new doors. Before you know it half the house is being rebuilt.

Mace - Seems like a good session, I did a couple of mp sessions separated by a week recently and they came out a tad slower than yours @ 6:45-6:50. I collected heart rate data for only the first of them and that was my first serious training run back after a week off. Did feel really tough. Av.hr 157 against a max of 180.

• Options

*delete double submit*

• Options

So boring he reported it twice.

• Options

Slow internet connection. Thought it wasn't going through and clicked again.image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lou- its the impact of running (the loading phase my physio calls it) that is aggravating it. Equally standing cycling at a bit of pace aggravates it a bit with some resistance. I just tried it briefly. As long as i keep the gears low when standing and for anything else I stay seated, then its all fine.

Anyway......if all i have left is general strength and body pump I will very soon be challenging mace for his king of the scales crown!

I assume you are not using mcmillan as threshold pace? I would have thought off your recent races they would have threshold around 6.35. Unless T pace doesn't mean threshold?

Mace- I can see why that would have caused you issues. I think after even a week off the first 3/4 runs need to be easy paced.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

muddy - my max is about 185 ( i've seen 183 ) and my mara averages were 156 (2013) and 155 ( 2014- after easing off last 4 miles ) so i'd tend to agree that an average of 157 with a max of 180 is on the high side ( at this stage of your running adventure ) particularly over just 5M and would feel a bit too hard.

My average for the 6M was 152 but was nudging 158 at the end so i know that would more than likely not be sustainable. I'll give 6:45's a go next time and see how that comes out.

DT - my threshold pace per McM is 6:20 ( based on HM 6:28 )

Re my 'king of the scales' crown image, somebody commented yesterday that i seem to have lost a bit of weight so i'm going to have to weigh in very soon now i have some confidence that it may have gone the right way image

• Options

I have never used heart rate to train, mainly because I am too idle to do a stress test and find out my max. But my question is: if you are used to running and have done various races, how different is it to running by feel? For example, mace's MP run was based on perceived effort and came out only slightly higher in HR terms than his actual marathons. If you train by pace and perception don't you get used to knowing what different intensities should feel like? Or does your HR feedback often surprise you?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

In my last threshold Lit, I tried to ignore my watch to a degree and the effort felt far easier than the recorded hr. However....i dont ultimatetely trust it as a couple of occassions i glanced down and it had the current bpm at 202 or thereabouts, which clearly wasnt correct.

I am not really sure of max hr, the highest I have hit training/racing is about 183. I assume though that wouldnt be my max as i would have exploded?!!

In further non running news (which i will link back to running)......i've just had another ppi windfall of several grand from a graduate loan i took out in 98. The refund is in fact more than the loan itself was! Linking back to running, once i am fit again I am unquestionably getting myself one of those funky garmins!! I did think about setting it as a reward for a pb but taking everything into account it will probably no longer the top dog by then!! 

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

IMO once you've got a reasonable amount of racing/training experience under your belt, running by HR or running by feel are both valid ways of going about it.  When I was a proper newbie, I found HR training really useful as it helped me quantify "effort" objectively and made more sense than wishy-washy descriptions such as "conversational pace" or "comfortably hard", etc.  It was also reassuring to have something external to tell me that I wasn't pushing things too hard whilst venturing into the unknown, i.e. building up the distance of long runs for the first time.  But then I left my chest strap in a pub and decided to crack on without any HR data.  (Actually, long before that happened there were various Garmin-problem incidents that meant impromptu race pacing without the benefit of HR info, but PBs still being run...)  To be honest, one of the reasons I persevered with non-HR monitoring is that I feel more comfortable not wearing a chest strap!

(Bit late for HR trumps but my lowest resting HR I've seen is 36.)  image

• Options

PhilPub wrote (see)

But then I left my chest strap in a pub

(Bit late for HR trumps but my lowest resting HR I've seen is 36.)  image

As you do...

(FFS Phil, I was winning that.)

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I was being a team player, helping out in a quiz team straight after an interval session. We came second, so I had the consolation of a part-share (about half a glass; it was a big team) in a bottle of Cava.  imageimage

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

...Ah, the beauty of the fetch training log!  It looks like Tuesday May 14th 2013 was a bit of a crap day all round, apart from the minor success in the pub quiz. 

"Abandoned 6 x 1k session on 4th rep, niggly left hip.  May have been exacerbated by core session at lunchtime, first one for three months!"

(Max HR: 188)

• Options

Lit - I run to feel with glances at pace if and when I feel the watch vibrate on the mile markers. I can't be arsed micromanaging every minute or so of a training run, though I spent a few months at the end of last year running strictly according to heart rate zone and only had that displayed and soon was able to correlate feel and pace so that period was useful.

Even now, the hr data is useful in analysis - comparing one session with another (in so much as sessions are ever quite the same environmentally). You can see the heart rate dropping over time for a given pace - so it shows whether the training is working  and what sort of headroom you've got for pushing things in a race. Of course you can get the same information from time/distance trials etc. so it's not essential at all. It doesn't lie to you though, and if you have the urge to push on through a hard session and your heart rate is abnormally high for the pace/effort being measured/felt, it's a sure sign to ease off.