Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Great effort, Bob image. Would you say Beeston is quicker than Rushcliffe?

Looks a good time to me, muddy. With less than ideal preparation and a hilly course.

Good to see you're getting back to form SG.

Easy 3 miles with a few strides in advance of tomorrow's race for me.

Edit: Just watching some of the cricket. Haven't spotted DT yet, plenty of groups who look like stag do's including where's wally, Mexican bandits and minions, not sure if he's dressed up or not though.

• Options

Some speedy times on here, well done! 

Lit Stirling is flat and fast an ideal course for taking a big chunk of your PB, there is a cone to run round which upsets some people though. I'm not doing it this year as I'm flying back from a holiday the day before. 

This year feels like a bit of a wash out in terms of racing for me, a combination of illness and work has left me under trained. Add in my propensity for late nights (4am at a karaoke bar on Tuesday) and it's all been a bit of a disaster!

• Options

Well done Bob and Muddy. The bar keeps inching higher. 

Sorry to hear you've not not been well velloo. I had noticed your thread with simon had gone very quiet.

Congratulations to SG on decent performance too. Sounds like you've caught the parkrun bug.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Super parkruns, Bob/Muddy/SGimage

Why is my 10K time worse than my 5K if I can run an OK marathon? possibly I'm just not as fit as I was in April. Hm.

Jogged 7.5M+10M yesterday, tripped and faceplanted at the end of the latter but it was nice and muddy so I have only a dainty graze on one knee. No running today but I have made crab-apple jelly.

• Options

Well done Bob & Muddy! Paddy is quite fast. I personally think Rushcliffe is faster than Beeston even though I have not been faster there myself.

And hello Velloo! I will be seriously pissed off if I don't get a PB at Stirling as my PB is a year old and I have beaten it several times on tempo runs. I would also quite like to do Anstruther the week after just for the general fun and sociability, though not as any sort of target race - how about it SG?

Marrows my 5k and marathon are my best things too.

• Options

Anstruther has a legendary fish and chip shop, worth going just for the grub!

Lou the training thread has died, Simon was a great help but there wasn't much point in carrying on as I couldn't follow a plan for much of the year.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Lit, I'll set you a challenge. Get your pb at Stirling under a figure I'll pick, and you can do the other one for some giggles.

The only catch is you don't get to know the figure I've set until afterwards. Although anyone on here is free to pm me to find out, on the understanding they don't tell you image 

• Options

But... fish and chips!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Quick read back. Well done on the parkruns.

I'm feeling quite broken today. Two very heavy days. Thankfully that's my last stag weekend for some time. Cricket was actually great fun. We were dressed as Mexican bandits and were right by where's wally. However we were one of about three groups dressed that way. We stayed for the semis then left. Nearly 7 hours sat in one place drinking Carling was enough.

Skinny, I got drinking last night with two blokes from Northumberland. I found it all very confusing in a quite pissex state as they just sounded like Geordie's. We went around in circles with me referring to them as Geordie's and talking about Newcastle, them denying it and calling them southerners. I think some slightly less patient types might have punched me on the nose!

Following physio I woke up yesterday to no leg pain at all. It feels a bit stiffer today so will have a good stretch when home.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Chuffin' spiders that was hard work! Good though. I now have an 11 mile PB, just what I've always wanted.
  • Options

Was that a surprise extra mile Tommy? And how was the hot pork cob?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Good work mudman and BBB

DT - I thought my stag do days were behind me but a couple of pals have sadly divorced and gone on to find new partners so we're doing the rounds again, not sure I can handle a full blown stag these days but will have to give it a go.

Local 10k fun run for a local charity this morning and half way round I was wondering if Skinny would credit me a win if I put in the effort to catch the leader Decided to stick to perceived MP and came home in second ( avoiding the embarrassment of a fun run winner presentation in the pub ) averaged 7:03 pace which is a few seconds slower than my actual MP but fairly happy as I'm probably edging 100 stone at the moment !!
  • Options

Can we have a table update to make mace 100 stone, Skinny?

I try not to have friends who get married, but if that doesn't work I settle for having friends who don't have stag/hen dos. One did slip through the net a few years ago but it was okay because she just wanted to have a lovely picnic.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Lou - sorry, as I haven't kept up I missed your excellent 5m pb coming quickly after the 5k, well done and I hope the old hip trouble stays away.

Lit - I'm actually scared to weigh in for fear of what the scales will reveal.

Update on the groin troubles - I seem to have gotten over it ( touch wood ) I haven't done much running last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Was that a surprise extra mile Tommy? And how was the hot pork cob?

Yep, it became apparent when we were on the first loop and it ticked over to 5 miles and we were in the middle of a farmers field, with no sign of the finish area, when we finished the first looped it showed 5.48 miles on my garmin, so I knew then it was going to be 11 miles. What a nice surprise. Pork cob was tasty and massive, which has saved me cooking anything much for tea.

Mace - image. Very restrained. Although, surely it would have been more embarrassing for the race organisers if they had to present the winners trophy to a 100 stone man?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    What was the prize mace?

We have had 5 friends get married this year so I have had 3 stag weekends. I have racked my brains and can't think of anyone due to get married in near future. However....all my mates start turning 40 from September so everyone wants a party. We already have one full weekend for it in November, though that's my best mate.

How delighted I would have been at 10am yesterday if someone had suggested we go for a picnic.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    mace wrote (see)
    Lou - sorry, as I haven't kept up I missed your excellent 5m pb coming quickly after the 5k, well done and I hope the old hip trouble stays away.

Lit - I'm actually scared to weigh in for fear of what the scales will reveal.

Update on the groin troubles - I seem to have gotten over it ( touch wood ) I haven't done much running last couple of weeks.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Southwell Swine ‘10’ mile race

I had three reasons for entering this race:

• It was close to where I went to secondary school and knew a few people who’d be there.
    • I’d never ran a 10 mile race.
    • You got a free hot roast pork cob as part of your entry fee.

There was an option to run a 5 or 10 miles, with the 10 mile route simply being two laps. The course was described as being cross country but with much of it ran on footpaths and bridleways so I assumed it would be ok under foot. I wasn’t sure what time to target after Wednesday’s effort and knowing that the course was going to be undulating and off-road. In the end decided to go for between 7:00 and 7:30 pace as this would be a decent run out and also get me a silver cell.

I got registered fairly early and went for a warm up around Brackenhurst estate used to be an agricultural college but is now is part of Notts Trent Uni and is where animal and plant based courses take place. It was really sunny and quite picturesque but a bit breezy. We were summoned to a pre-race meeting, where we were informed that due to concerns about a bottleneck forming at the first gate the start was going to be moved and we would have to do a lap of a cricket pitch to ‘thin the field out’. This was only an additional few hundred yards but it was obvious that this wasn’t going to be exactly 10 miles. We were also told that the course was quite winding and narrow in places. Based on these two bits of information, I decided that I’d make a bit of a quicker start to try and avoid any bottlenecks or get stuck behind anyone at the narrow sections.

The start went and we headed off round the cricket pitch and got to the fist gate and no bottleneck, I think there was 12-15 runners, including me, ahead of the rest of the field at this point. The first section was on footpaths around the uni buildings and fairly easy going. However, after about 0.5miles we went out a gate and into the surrounding fields, which is pretty much where we stayed for the next 5 miles, although there was a section though some woods and along by a steam, which was a welcome relieve. It was undulating, with a lot of switch backs along field edges, trees to duck under, ploughed fields to run over, hard mud with hay on top and a couple of short gravel tracks. The further we got along the course, the more spread out we got and before I knew it I was running alone with a few people up the way from me but I couldn’t see anybody behind me for a long way. After about 7 miles or so my legs were really starting to ache, think it was a combination of the terrain, the recent 5 mile race and quite a heavy week of running (for me). Kept a check on the watch and it was always around the right pace, although mile 10 did drift to 7:45 pace. Finished in 1:21:28 for 10.97miles and 14th place, slightly disappointed not to break 80 minutes but think it was a good training run.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Sounds like a course for racing other people rather than trying for a time, Tommy!

I did not do the advertised 6x800m yesterday, only 4x800m, but felt this was legit after the 10K. Exact paces meaningless as we were on hills, off-road.  But I did dust off my heart rate monitor (which I'd stopped using after it drew blood) to get some extra data.  Wahooo

Sorry to harp on about this 5K vs 10K vs marathon business, but I do like to try to train my weaknesses, so: what is the weakness exposed by a 10K time that is slow compared to my 5K and marathon times, and what should I do about it?

7 weddings this year! and 2 hen dos.  We get to do what I want on those because I help organise them.

• Options
    marrows wrote (see)

Sorry to harp on about this 5K vs 10K vs marathon business, but I do like to try to train my weaknesses, so: what is the weakness exposed by a 10K time that is slow compared to my 5K and marathon times, and what should I do about it?

I think it's that you got your 5k and marathon times at the end of a structured 18-week training programme, and now you train lots but in a less structured and focused way and do more races and other random events whenever you feel like it. And what to do about it would be to pick a target 10k at some point in the future and plan your training to build up to it.

Nice report Tommy, though I did temporarily fear that your new 11 mile PB had gone to your head and you'd abandoned us for a speedier thread. Mention of bottlenecks and the 'fist gate' in the same sentence made me think it sounded like some weird fetish race though.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sound advice from Lit marrows. That's what my training since May has been leading towards.

Nice report Tommy. Sounds like a nice little race.

I'm feeling ready to have a go at running again. Was planning spin tonight but its been cancelled so going to have a very slow trot on treadmill. At least then I can just step off if any trouble. Need to reassess my schedule for next two weeks as its pretty heavy. I just simply want to get to Stratford in working order. I felt the session feedback re pace, feel and hr since mid July suggest I'm where I want to be. I just need to get a balance for 3 weeks of maintaining it.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Nice report Tommy, though I did temporarily fear that your new 11 mile PB had gone to your head and you'd abandoned us for a speedier thread. Mention of bottlenecks and the 'fist gate' in the same sentence made me think it sounded like some weird fetish race though.

image The dodgy 'R' on my keyboard is still not fixed! Yes, I was trying to upload an image of the route of the course from my Garmin and it wasn't working so I tried re-loading the page and when I did I must have clicked on the wrong thread, I'm definitely not quick enough for that thread. Anyway, RW is letting me upload images today, so here's a trace of the route yesterday...

/members/images/707907/Gallery/Swine.JPG

Marrows - yeah wasn't a course to chase a time! Have you ever trained specifically for a 10k? Probably a combination of some longish intervals (at the right intensity)and threshold running will see that time realigned with your 5k time.

DT - yeah it was a good event, I enjoyed it. Good luck with your run, hope there's no reaction.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Yes OK Lit, DT that's sort of what I thought.  Actually I haven't even been 'training lots' for much of that time - from VLM to mid-July I averaged just under 30MPW (but did some cycling too).  The only thing that makes it not look like I'm just a whole lot less fit is that my resting HR is now the lowest it's ever been, 41BPM.  I don't care much about the 10K time per se but I wondered if it tells me anything about what hole I should concentrate on plugging for the October HM.

No Tommy, I never specifically trained for any race except marathons.

Fingers crossed for your angry legs, DT

• Options
    marrows wrote (see)

Actually I haven't even been 'training lots' for much of that time

Yeah, I just put that bit in to be nice. image

• Options

Let's have resting heart rate top trumps! Mine's 38.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Resting heart rate is 49. Max heart rate is 197.
  • Options

Lit - I use 43bpm, but if I recall correctly that was measured whilst sat on the sofa watching tv and trying to figure out the difference between HRM and HRR so I could probably knock off one or two more if I really tried.

Tommy - is that an attempt at one of those penis shaped run routes that have been in the news lately?  Nice run though.

Mace - Congratulations on 2nd place and the impressive weight gain.

Marrows - As Tommy says, the bulk of 10k training is threshold and longish intervals.  I've following Daniels plan at the moment and just started mesocycle 3, which is probably the meat of the schedule after the potatoes of mesocycles 1 and two.  The key sessions are variations around 1200-1600m intervals at around 5k pace and various tempo workouts at threshold pace.  As race day approaches he mixes things up with combinations of threshold, intervals and short reps at around mile pace.

I did my first interval session yesterday of 4x 1200m at slightly faster than 5k pace with 3min recoveries. Felt ok, but some of my paces were a bit off, not because I was struggling but it felt like an unnatural pace to run at.

After the recent discussion about spin classes and, what with the atrocious weather and slightly tight left calf today, I thought I'd give my (not so) new turbo trainer a go.  Did 3 sets of 3 mins each of 60%, 70% & 80% HRM and produced a pool of sweat on the kitchen floor.  Quite enjoyable really - I shall see how the legs feel tomorrow.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Lou - humph, those long intervals and tempo runs are what I shirk most. I am already dreading Thursday's 3x2M.  Think of the kitchen sweat puddle as a pool of delicious gravy for your meat and potatoes.  What's for pudding?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I definately think decent cycling sessions have their place in a runners schedule. How are the legs today, Lou?

Marrows, Yep they are tough. When you do 800 intervals for eg, by the time it really starts to hury you only have circa 300m left so mentally its ok. The 3 x 15 minutes I was doing filled me with dread for the entire day.

I didnt manage to run yesterday, or do anything at all. Ended up having to do this ice bucket challenge which dominated early evening. Therefore I am off lunchtime for a tentative 30 min trot, with body pump this evening.

• Options

Good running Tommy, until you explained about the dodgy 'r' key on your keyboard, the "steam" coming as a "welcome relieve" at mile 5 made me think you partook of a quick sauna en-route. That's a lot of running over the last 10 days. You must be knackered !

I noticed there was a 5 miler in Coventry on Wednesday night (Massey Ferguson one) and thought I could make up for last weeks fiasco, but really I should just get my head down and do these thresholds and intervals that everyone keeps talking about.