Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yeah we lost it in the upgrade :wink:

(I've just been a bit busy and now can't be arsed to go back and find out what XC medals everyone has won over the last 4 weeks or so. Maybe Friday afternoon or next week whilst I'm in US I'll catch up - sorry Pete you must be eager for the update)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh the McMillan calculator. Always seemed to give some wild predictions for the shorter stuff!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    you should see my predicted race times my watch throws up based on its assessment of my vo2. 

Did my first successful interval session since Xmas today (1 x 2k and 3 x 1k). It's strange but since Sundays race, my 3 training sessions, despite being tired, have all jumped back to pre op status. Also my rhr as measured by my fitbit has suddenly dropped from an unusually high level (high 50s) back to low 50s last few days. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

How was the V02 measured?  A lab reading, a session, or via a watch/HR monitor?

If it was the latter, they often come out insane. I won't even bother quoting some of my supposedly doable times as they make my all time pbs look like I was coasting :)

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    My coach once worked with a proper elite athlete so they were given all the tests etc and had the vo2 figures, and then thought wtf do we do with these and just carried on as normal.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

This is my garmin assessed vo2 based on hr v pace. After my half marathon Sunday at 1.26, for which it recognised it was pretty much maximal, it predicts a half time of 1.21 for me.

Half day today to run a 20. My wife has been complaining that by the time I stretch, recover etc they take up too much of a sunday so I thought I'd use some holiday when no one is at home and can take my time over it all. Perfect conditions for it.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    At my age I need to be careful about recovery, especially after a race.  So no session as such this week.  I did, however, put in 1km at marginally faster than theoretical HM pace in the middle of my 15km mlr today.  It felt good :smile:
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT, if your wife is the type to moan about that ,i'm amazed she'd be comfortable with you using holiday for running!
    Unless you didn't tell her :)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sg, you've caught me out.....secret half days it is. Talking of which just back from 20. It was pretty hard going. I was supposed to be running 7.30 mm. I could tell immediately my legs wouldn't do that so just pulled it right back to easy. Last few miles I was overcome by thirst. Probably because I had a few glasses of wine last night.

Thinking about it as I run, my last 6 days have been-

3 miles easy, half Mara, spin , 10 miles easy, interval session and a 20.

Could probably benefit from a rest!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ignoring the 3miler, that is an insane 5 day schedule.

How have you come to a point where racing a half marathon would be followed by a 10, intervals, spin and 20 over the next 4 days?!

(partial explanation with the bringing forward 20)

Compare that to the recovery from my best half marathons...

Sunday - race half marathon
    Monday - 3miler
    Tuesday - day off

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes I know. I can't do much running on weekend so I've had to front load my week. I've time Sunday to do my 10 at MP.  It really was the bringing forward the 20 that forced the intervals last night as I didn't want to do them tomorrow. If the 20 was Sunday I'd have run Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thing is, I don't want to break schedule for a non essential race. March needs to be a big month as I 've had a lot of disruption in January and first half of Feb. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You cant do it all. Or you risk rucking the big game up

P&D builds a raced half marathon in without risking ruin

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes I know. my schedule doesnt factor races in and I couldn't manipulate my schedule so the race fell during or immediately before a cut back week. 
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I'd be inclined to factor the race in for myself, if it was me, as once you add in something hard like a race, you've already 'broken schedule' as the sessions were designed for someone who hasn't just run a half marathon, and will effect you differently. But I'm lucky enough to have the coach who wrote the schedule there to tell me when to take it easy, so I don't need to think about it.

In injury news, I went to the physio again today and he did more acupuncture (ouch) but says I can start training normally again now, so I am going to do about two thirds of my normal mileage this week, then can fit in three proper marathon training weeks after Alloa half.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    No indirect experience Lit, our main clients are in Paris and we have people over there.

DT - I did think that the 20 after those intervals was very demanding, completely forgetting about the half !

Lit - Good news on the return to mileage. I am looking forward to the end of this big mileage period funnily enough 

I thought I'd do a mid schedule review like Skinny. The last three weeks of 60 or so miles have put me in a similar place to where I was towards the end of the previous marathon schedule: tired, on the brink of a niggle or two (the problematic right calf and plantar fascia as before), feeling really strong aerobically, and at the same time feeling ill equipped to race anything - a no top end sort of feel. That leaves me with a similar decision to make about where to take the training which has also been ad hoc so far. The 20 w 13 mp was pretty fatiguing (careful with doing that 2 weeks out Skinny) and I have taken two recovery days this week and it will possibly end up as a cutback week. That makes a taper for Wilmslow half only likely to be a mini one, and then the recovery from that will keep me strictly in the easy zone until near the end of March at which point I'll stick a 10k and a couple of 5k's in the mix for the Vo2Max phase before a 2 week taper. Hopefully I can knock out 3 more 20s between now and April 9th ...
  • Options
    DT - I ran 10 miles last night and I thought I was pushing it (although I am a lot older than you). You must be in quite good shape simply to be able to do those 6 days.

Lit - good news.

Muddy my plan is to run the 18 with 14 four weeks out as I thought three weeks was too close - I would never have gone two weeks out.

Down to about 300 miles to go now but I got down to under a 100 to go last time before it went tits up.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    OMG I can't believe I wrote 'effect' instead of 'affect'. Sorry everyone. I've failed you.
  • Options
    I noticed that Lit but figured you were posting from your phone ;)

Skinny, sorry mis-reading from me, was thinking four weeks from your post.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well, I was posting from an ipad but that's no excuse.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

it is an excuse, Lit.....

I am definitely glad of a couple of days off now. Don't feel like I have any niggles but I feel completely shattered and washed out today.

The problem I continue to have is the tightening of my lower back and then in turn hamstrings, much too early in long runs. I think the other thing that is making it harder this time around is that I have added in this extra 10 mile run. Last year the schedule seemed a bit of a stroll but with that additional 10 miler I feel like I am carrying that residual fatigue and that makes long runs a bit harder.

Ashby 20 next weekend will give me a decent indication of things.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    How will you be approaching the 20 DT?
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Afternoon everyone.

Just caught up on last weekends performances. Well done everyone, in particular to Pete, hopefully you're not going to retire.

I ran a hilly parkrun in 19:40 last Saturday and have since done a bit of running, some swimming and quite a lot of walking. Planning a very easy parkrun tomorrow before race day on Sunday, weather forecast suggests it's going to be a bit wet but not that windy. Time to see if the numbers I was seeing in training reflect what I can actually do in a race.

Good luck to any racers or parkrunners  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good luck, Tommy.

SG- Same as I ran 20 last year before London, about 15 seconds slower than my hoped for mp. I am replacing the session in my schedule which is '20 at mp plus 15'. Gloucester 20 last year was 7.07 pace and was pretty straightforward and looking back at my training immediately before and after, had no impact on my training. 

• Options
    Good luck Tommy!

I'm trying 22 with a 17 mile warm up for parkrun :smile:
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good luck with that Skinny!

DT - I ran Ashby last year as 4 easy and 16@MP (I had planned to do 15 at MP and use the last mile as a cool down but I just wanted to get finished by that point so ended up speeding up). It's pretty undulating so will be hard to run it exactly as you plan. Although I guess you'll be able to run to heart rate, but I'm not sur ehow you would compute that to MP+15Secs.

Also, your marathon PB 3:08 (I think), which is approximately the same pace you ran Gloucester at. So will you use the pace from Ashby to determine the pace you'll run London at?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tommy, yes you're spot on. The pace I run Gloucester actually ended up the pace I ran London. It's tricky as I hit 22 miles at 6.58 pace and that was when it went down till so I genuinely felt 7.08 pace for 20 was reasonably comfortable in a race environment. Mentally the boost running 20 miles at that pace so readily was worth it. There's 5 weeks between Ashby and London so plenty of time to recover. 
  • Options
    It became 16 miles warm up, 3.29 miles at 6:31 pr, 2.75 miles cool down.

Got lucky with the parkrun bit as Mr PSNF had done 19 first and was finishing with a MP parkrun so we ran round together.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Good parkrun, Skinny.  Are you doing your long run tomorrow? ;)

I did my long (by non-marathon standards) run today as I'm walking the last leg of the No Fracking Way tomorrow.  Following lit's advice, I extended it to 20k.  My legs felt strangely bouncy so, on a whim, I threw in a burst of 200m at 5k race pace at the start of each km from 11 to 17.  Livened things up a bit and felt good but I hope I don't regret it in the morning!
  • Options
    That sounds like a great run Pete! Well done.

I'm flying to Denver tomorrow so my battered legs will get a nice day in a plane to properly stiffen up.