Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Are you  honestly planning for a 3:01 finish though DT?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I think that would give me a 3.03. Both times I have run London my garmin has registered 26.5 and I am basing what the average pace on my garmin is. My estimation is that I would need to run 6.47 average on my watch to go sub 3. That is just too much extra to find.
  • Options
    What's wrong with 3:01?
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone! At a glance it looks like you are all spring marathoning and in good form if knackered - excellent. I miss it. I have been jogging a little but not loads cos I'm about 5 months preggers! Honestly can't decide if it's more or less preoccupying than marathon training.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hello Marrows....that's lovely news. Congratulations. 
  • Options
    Hello an ongratulations Marrows. Are you going to be spectating London in a distinctively coloured maternity frock and hat combo ?
  • Options
    hmm post got mangled ... Hello and congratulations that should read

Lou - are you doing Coventry this weekend ?
  • Options
    Congratulations Marrows! Aaah, babies....I had wondered where you'd disappeared to recently.
    Muddy - I am doing Coventry. Starting to feel fit again and reassured to see that Garmin rates my VO2max at 59, compared to 58 for the Oxford half last October, plus Christmas padding has gone. All looking good apart from the weather which is forecast to be a bit blustery.  Trying to convince myself that the prevailing wind is south-westerly and the course is elongated nw-se so should mostly be cross-wind.  I don't mind cross-winds - I'm much more aerodynamic on my x-axis.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lou, my vo2 has also just hit 59, which is where it was over the Autumn. Whilst in my head I don't feel great, all my stats tell me I'm fine.

I had a bit more physio this morning. Some joint manipulation from neck to foot together with some robust stretching and the needles. Despite doing a reasonable session yesterday I woke this morning feeling quite bouncy which was pleasing.

I am taking the view with Ashby that it is 2 loops and as such I should get equal measures of head and tail wind. I am just debating, do I wear my vest or something a bit warmer? I just fear being a bit cold running at below mp, particularly first half.

Good luck Sunday, Lou and Muddy.

• Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Excellent Lou, best of luck. My Garmin vo2max fluctuates wildly; I think I confuse the calculation by not sleeping properly. I'll be running to heart rate in view of the wind to avoid dipping into threshold effort until the last mile or two.

Enjoy Ashby and the addition to the wardrobe DT. I was plenty warm at mp during Droitwich (though not at the start !).

On Strava - I don't pay much attention to segments, or rather care where I am ranked. I'm particularly interested in looking at this new fatigue/fitness analysis and going back in time in the analysis to periods when I've been whinging about tiredness. I have fair idea already of where the mileage sweet spot is for me but will be interesting to see if the analysis confirms it.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It will be bitter sweet, Muddy as what I gain on one hand I will lose on the other as I will undoubtedly need to wear one of my former fashion tops on the start line.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    By the time you finally get rid of one of those fashion tops they'll probably be back in fashion DT.

Hi Marrows ! Congratulations.
  • Options
    Oh, forgot your Alloa half Lit - best of luck with that. The forecast for Wilmslow has deteriorated to wind /and/ rain.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Ours has got gradually better, from 40mph headwinds to 20mph to now 'only' 13mph.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Hi Marrows. Congrats! 

Good luck racers. Will look forward to reading some reports on sunday pm.

My feet have just about stopped hurting from Retford. Have been trialling some extremely bouncy Hoka shoes. Impressed so far.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    oh yes, good luck, Lit.

I'm expecting feet and lower leg soreness after Sunday as wearing my zoom streaks. Never run more than a half in them. 

We still have 20 mph winds forecast. 
  • Options
    Rather bruised calves after a particularly uncomfortable sports massage this evening. I've been trying to find a convenient time since last week and I'm now worried that this might affect my performance on Sunday.
    20 mph crosswinds forecast for Coventry 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Did you tell them you were racing Sunday? My legs ft sore and fatigued on yesterday's run following Tuesday's massage but were good today. 
  • Options
    Hi everyone - pleased you all seem to be back running again.

I'm in Scotts Bluff in Nebraska for the night after the first 200 miles of our impromptu 850 mile round journey road trip to Mount Rushmore before our flight home on Sunday. So I've got a quick 6 in the morning before a 450 mile drive there and back and then I've got 22 miles planned in Scotts Bluff Memorial Park on Sunday morning before the last 200 miles back to Denver airport. 

However running has not gone to plan this week - I'd planned a 67 mile week but after a 6 on Monday I got the same pain on the top of my foot on Tuesday after 3.5 miles that I had in January and limped back to my hotel room. It hasn't been as bad as last time in that I've been able to walk normally so this morning managed a 3 mile tester without any issues. Will have to see how the next two days go.

Best of luck to all the racers over the weekend and hope you all get what you want for your efforts.

Skinny
  • Options
    Marrows delighted by your news - thanks for returning to share. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That sounds exhausting, Skinny. Now is a big risk time for injury and also a terrible time due to recovery time remaining. My physio suggested to me the other day that I could probably just coast to race day with just easy mileage and achieve no less now. 
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    I decided on a whim to do my first park run for a while this morning, although it was a hillier course than the one i set my previous pb on I ended up getting a 21:33, which is over a minute faster that my previous best, slightly chuffed by that one obviously marathon training is paying off!

good luck to all the other racers!
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Nice work TheDan! Knocking over a minute off a 5k PB is very impressive!

Skinny, sounds fun if a bit mental. Enjoy!

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    A minute is loads, theDan. What have you been doing?!

Good idea Muddy. I'll be watching at London provided the weather's not miserable.  I was thinking helium balloons more than loud clothes.  Which of you are running there this year?

Little sis recently confessed that she has entered and been training for Milton Keynes marathon.  I have lent her my Garmin but she hasn't decided whether to use it (even for training) or take a more relaxed approach.  Either way I'm interested in the outcome. I've thought for a while that she could be a good runner.

I seem to recall Lou's 3:01 was for a marathon plus a poo which is sort of a sub 3.

Hope that foot is nothing, Skinny, and happy racing Lit
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys, according to the stats I was also 9th overall and 1st 30-34 year old, annoyingly 8th place was a 10 year old, but he was too far ahead to reel him in
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well done TheDan; that's a HUGE PB. 

Skinny, hope your foot is better but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you not to run 22 miles if the pain comes back. Just thought I'd mention it though.

Good point Marrows. Lou, did it take you 1 minute to do the poo, or were you more desperate than that? I'll be at London btw though I can't promise to notice any helium balloons. I'll be there with about 6 clubmates all also called Fifi.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Well done TheDan, next time use some pokemon cards to distract.

Skinny, hope the foot thing doesn't return.

Just preparing for the race tomorrow ...
  • Options
    Good luck guys.  Bit windy round here, but let's see how it goes - feeling good otherwise.
    Skinny - This is one reason, amongst many, that I think Americans are all slightly crazy - a 1300 mile round trip, by road, to see some statues!  Just going  on the name Scotts Bluff sounds like a nice place for a long run.
    Well done The.  All those miles were good for something afterall.
    Lit - I estimate that the toilet stop cost me approximately 41 seconds.  (I find it doesn't take long when I'm running.)
    DT - it's not cold - just a vest.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done The Dan,  tgats a great improvement.

2.21.59 today. A bit quicker than last year's 20 on a harder course and worse condition for pretty much bang on same hr. I was going well until some idiot decided the last 2 miles should be almost entirely up hill. I don't care what effort youre running at, the last 2 miles of a 20 do not need to be climbing. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    And the hoody was red....my only other hoody is also red so to the casual observer it will appear like I still wear the same one all the time. In good news someone gathered up all the discarded tips and put them by baggage collection so my very smart fashion top may be coming to London. 
    it seems fitting to dress well for the biggest occassion.