Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    God help your friend in miles 20 - 26 with you bouncing around like a totally irritating twat! B)
  • Options
    I was not bouncing round the reservoir at lunchtime for an easy 7 miles. It was one of those ugly wins of a run, as it was raining solidly, I was tired from the start and ended up soaked through and cold.

Mace - :( but it'll come back.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Keep at it, Mace, it'll return.

I somehow managed to find the only 50 minute period of the whole day where it wasn't hammering down for my lunchtime 6.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    God help your friend in miles 20 - 26 with you bouncing around like a totally irritating twat! B)
    She is going to LOVE it. Actually she'll probably kill me. She wasn't having a great race at Alloa either and afterwards she said 'I was giving the finger to all the photographers because I just thought "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME???"'
  • Options
    I'm on green start.
    Legs are still a bit tired from the weekends exertions - calves are a bit tight and right hip is grumbling as usual - so I've been cautious this week with an easy eight yesterday and six this morning. Will probably do a bike session this evening if I get time. Weather was ok this morning if a bit colder than I was expecting.  
    some good performances at the weekend and entertaining reports.  
    Keep at it Mace - it's good for you. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    What is quite exciting for me is this is my third time and my third different start zone!! The slight annoyance is that the magazine States for green start to use maze hill not blackheath even though the green start is on blackheath. This changes a straightforward 23 minute journey to a two train 50 minute journey. 

I have a running half day tomorrow. I'm not up for a 20 so debating a 15 miler or trying again with the 10 at MP I pulled out of 2 weeks ago. It's one of two sessions in my schedule to date I've not done. 
  • Options
    I'm on green start - but my number is 30291 - does that mean I'm near the back?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm 30,808 so shouldn't do.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I believe they deliberately mix up the numbers so that the baggage trucks have a range of finish times and don't have everyone rushing for the same one at once.
  • Options
    Ah good!

Off to London today - not the day I would have picked following yesterday's events but I guess there are millions of people who work in London every day who don't have much choice.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what weight I am at the moment, any advances on 14-4 ? .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8zfrytLh4

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't afford to yo yo in my weight that far a range. Do you retain 3 wardrobes or something?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I've got some fat trousers and some thin trousers. Is that not normal? Though in my case 5lbs would probably be the difference between which ones I wear.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I have few tops which I find slightly more comfortable to wear this time of year than in early January, but on the whole my wardrobe is 1 size. There in itself is an incentive to stay at the same weight.
  • Options
    F in H Mace - I think you might need to add a bra to your wardrobe?

i think you might have anorexia - every time you look in the mirror do you think you look fat?
  • Options
    literatin said:
    I believe they deliberately mix up the numbers so that the baggage trucks have a range of finish times and don't have everyone rushing for the same one at once.
    They're clever aren't they, those london folk.

There was a bit of a mix-up on the 0-600 bag check at Coventry last weekend.  Fortunately as one of the earlier finishers I was able to identify my own bag quite quickly.  But not long after I notice there was a lengthy queue at that desk but only one or two at all the others.
    Probably not a catastrophe of Manchester Marathon proportions, but would be irritating notheless.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    In Paris the race numbers did reflect expected finish times (and start pen allocations), but they had a genius system where you went to a box number based on the last number in your race number. Then they would put your bag in a row based on the second-to-last number. So as number 462 my bag was in row 6 of box 2.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The scale and slickness of operation vmlm is hugely impressive.

A rather lacklustre 15 just done. Was going tremendously well until I turned a corner at 9 miles and the last 6 were straight into a headwind. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Planning a parkrun tomorrow. Conditions look good and it's pacer week, albeit they don't currently have anyway to pace sub 19 so I am likely to be going solo. Not sure that my legs will have quite enough zip to work at the required effort but i'll have a go.
  • Options
    I was contemplating a parkrun this weekend, but I decided on next week to give myself a bit more recovery after cov half.  Forecast is still a bit breezy in Stratford, hopefully it will die down a bit next week.
    I did 4*1200m yesterday round Edgebaston Reservoir and it was reasonably comfortable - very different from the 5*600m a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    Good luck DT - my work week has not enabled me to get to a physio today so I've booked one for Monday.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Sounds like a positive session Lou. Did you take any of my Strava segments down ? ;)

My week has been a bit shit with work and a cold to contend with. Just off out for a lunchtime run. Then got my long run tomorrow afternoon, due to Mother's Day. Could be a battle tomorrow.
  • Options
    Oh shit - Mother's Day! :s
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good luck DT. Conditions look good tomorrow, I'm sure you'll crack 19.

Midland spring relays for me tomorrow, one of my favourite events of the year. After a couple of late withdrawals it was touch and go whether we could get a team together for this but in the end we've ended up with a pretty strong team including Bob. Looking forward to it, hopefully DT's team mates have been practicing their handovers.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Ours are on Sunday. Excellent planning on the part of Scottish Athletics, as my attempt to persuade a W40 team to enter (didn't manage it) was not particularly helped by it being Mother's Day.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good work, Lou. I'm assuming it was equally blustery around there?

I keep being asked to run in these relays, and despite them being twice a year I have never been able to. I will get slaughtered tomorrow for doing parkrun tomorrow no doubt. People often forget that being free to run for 20 minutes at 9am is very different to be able to make a 90 mile round trip to run for 20 minutes taking up all Saturday afternoon.

Good luck in your respective relays, Lit and Tommy.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Good to read some relay talk, having for the first time in my running life been part of a running club who get involved.
    At the southerns, our legs are 4miles and 2.6miles, and i've snuck into the 6 doing the former. 

3 laps of 1.3miles. It's going to be pure carnage compared to the other relays i've done.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

DT - Shame you haven't been able to do the relays previously, I think they're good fun (at our level) and watching the top runners thunder round at the front of the field is a laugh. The men's race last year was a close affair with the lead changing hands numerous times between the front three clubs. Sounds odd that you'll be 'slaughtered' for doing parkrun?

We encourage people to take part and in some ways it's disappointing that out of a club of nearly 350 members we can only muster 12 men and 6 women to take part but appreciate that it's a bit of a trek and does take up much more of the day than nipping out for an hour or so on Saturday morning which can clash with other commitments.

Stevie - That does sound like it will be carnage! The Midlands (and Nationals) are single laps of either ~5.5 miles for the long leg or just over 5k for the short leg. Good luck on the long leg!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have to pick my races wisely and a full afternoon out to run 5k is not great use of a race pass. Some of the hard core club runners moan about people parkrunning on XC or relay days, particularly those quick enough to make some kind of contribution or b team scorer. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Cheers Tommy, by nature I prefer to do the shorter option if there's a choice! However, I can't really moan at a 4miler - that will fly by with such company!

I had overlooked that there are also 30-40 women's teams too starting an hour in (i'm intrigued how they get the women off enmasse on such a short loop where it's certain some of the 50men will be flying past at the same time - separate lanes?) . So make that  80-90 runners on there at one time over 1.3miles!

Just watched last year's video, and I think it's ensured i'll struggle to sleep :)

Good luck to the midlanders. Would be interesting to see total teams involved and the make up of the qualfiers.
    I was also quite intrigued to see about 8 starting teams in both men and women's sections didn't manage to get all 12 (or 6 for womens) runners round!

DT, take your reasoning completely. Just have to make it clear you aren't binning a major calendar event (they tell me!) to do a parkrun :) It's the rest of the reasoning, distance/family etc that is your valid breakdown. Presumably you're not in some uber competitive AC club where non attendance is treated like treason!