Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I've done Edinburgh half twice, the start time is horrid. The first 3 miles are massively downhill though which is nice.  

Good luck to anybody racing this weekend. I might have a shuffle round a parkrun tomorrow morning.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nobody is safe!! Theres a lot to be said for having your pbs at local, low profile events.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

12 with 10 at mp lunchtime. Mentally hard work running 5 x 2 mile laps of Worcester race course. There was an annoying cross wind which, other than when I was on the bottom part of the loop, seemed to be against me much of the time.

What I am struggling to grasp at present is that when I compare like for like training runs to this time last year I am statistically worse at present, yet that isn't reflected in my racing which is if anything slightly better. I am running more miles (34 more miles in March 17 than 16) which may lead to more fatigue when running the sessions perhaps?

• Options
    Maybe it was 6.3 mph windier today?
  • Options
    DT19 said:
    Nobody is safe!! Theres a lot to be said for having your pbs at local, low profile events.

... where nobody gives a rat's arse if they are long or short ;)

You are certainly caning the runs this week ! A meagre 5 miles ish at lunchtime for me, feeling well weary after an easy 11 last night. I think when it takes 6 miles of running to find some mojo you know you're knackered !
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It may have been windier.

Yes I feel pretty good off the back of last weeks recovery week. One more run this week and then a full week next week and I can cut right back.

• Options
    So my 3 miler went really well last night and I've decided Manchester it is - Friend of Skinny picking me up in 10 mins. Sub 3 here I come!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ha ha,  you old rascal, Skinny!!
  • Options
    No fooling you DT!

Unfortunately the truth is that I went for a little 3 mile run last night but after 2.25 miles my foot started hurting so I walked home.

i've been in denial up to last night but I don't see a route to VLM 2017 from here.

Very disappointing and frustrating.
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Dang skinny, i was looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. I'm off to the tattoo parlour now to get some go-faster stripes on my bump.

Bit late but mcf- sorry to hear about the acl! A couple of people i know tore theirs playing frisbee and recovery seemed to take a lot of grit. You're lucky though if running in a straight line is your sport if choice as that was one of the first things they were allowed to do again.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Had you been planning that joke ever since you mentioned Manchester, Skinny? Sorry to hear about your foot, though not that sorry you are now abandoning the no running except for two massive long runs London plan which I had my doubts about.

I took Fifi out for a 22-mile run yesterday. She LOVED it.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I wondered the same, Lit. I did a 5 mile race today. came out 31.10 on watch for a 20 second or so pb. Second half was tough going as was solo effort. Annoyingly I want through 5k in 18.49 which is be delighted to achieve in an actual 5k. Pleased with that as I did 22 on Tuesday and 10 at Mara pace on Friday.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    That's very good in the circumstances DT. Congratulations.

Beautiful morning for running: a touch warm perhaps. I struggled again on my long run (20). I have the feeling that I may as well have not bothered with the last two weeks running as nearly every run has had me dreading the next. I was *so* glad to finish today.

22 miles seems but a dream ! Well done on that. Everytime you mention Fifi it makes me chuckle Lit. It's a good name but has a balletic ring and I imagine you bouncing along and her prancing on her toes alongside.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well done DT! Sounds like you should do an actual 5k race rather than a parkrun.

Muddy - I'm sure you don't need to be told that the long runs are hard because of all the other training you've been doing, but for the race you'll have tapered... Fifi was NOT prancing on our run and was a bit cross when (her watch had died so she was relying on me) I mentioned we'd actually got to 22.1 miles so we had to stop straight away, not quite back at my house. However, I was bouncing and so was our other friend Fifi #3 who did the first 10 miles with us. Fifi #1 may have compared us to tiggers, but she actually thought it was amusing rather than annoying when she realised it was because in order to run at her LSR pace we were having to hold back our forward movement a bit, so all the energy was going into bouncing instead.
  • Options
    The imagery just improves the more Fifi's that pop up  :)

Yeah I do feel like I am dragging around a huge ball of fatigue and tight everywhere, so quite glad to taper things down now.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    There are LOADS of Fifis. Unfortunately only about 4 of us at London this year, though.
  • Options
    Wait .. Fifi is a cute moniker adopted by Fife AC ladies rather than being their real names ? I am slow to catch on  :/  I was wondering how you had so many running friends called Fifi  :D
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I was anonymising for the purposes of talking about non-forumites on the internet. :D We don't call ourselves Fifi but that is what Londoners call us in the marathon. Because they've never heard of Fife but people who run London like to print their names on their chest...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Haha, I'm disappointed you don't have loads of friends called fi-fi. I'm assumuming you are saying it as fifey? It's a tough time now, Muddy. I'm fortunate to have had a week of cutback last week. Managed 45 miles this week and two full effort spin classes which is good, particularly with a race. My wife has reminded me of the pb champagne tradition so that's my Sunday sorted. Hopefully it's the first of 4 in April. Yep, think I need one of those mid week 5k summer events.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    No, I would pronounce it Fifi like all the VLM supporters do. However, the speedy lady vets like to call themselves the Fifey Wifies. 
  • Options
    Attached updated (eventually) for:-

Pete's birthday, his magnificent goal breaking 44:46 10k and his V60 Prize.
    Rich being one year older and 4 pounds heavier.
    Reintroducing T'Dan and reducing his 5k time by over a minute - perhaps he will disappear now until his next PB.
    Tommy getting his first ever individual prize - excellent!
    DT running a 20 second 5 mile PB (final time per results 31:11) - you seem like you have judged the build up pretty well DT.
    Muddy winning two prizes including 3rd V45 at Wilmslow which is pretty good considering quality of the field.

Well done everybody.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, thanks for the update. I didn't realise I was that close to a silver 5 mile cell. I assumed Mace would have a ridiculously fast time. Next time you amend and publish, we got team gold in March at the county half champs so I have an additional team prize.
  • Options
    Done - attached - well done. Do you have a gold medal then? Photo?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bit knackered after a run, but i'm pretty sure Lit is on the wind up, telling us that dem London folks hadn't heard of Fife, and pronounce it as fi-fi :)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've not received it yet. They couldn't finalise to do presentation after race and were rather flippant about when they would get it to me but either way we won the county team event. 
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, Skinny :).  I was rather hoping I had improved my wava. Have you switched to using the 2015 tables?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Doesn't count if you didn't get the actual medal, DT. Those are Skinny's rules, not mine.

100% true, SG. Indeed, in 2015 my teammate Fifi 4 reported that after cheering her on as Fifi a spectator was heard saying to her friend 'there's another Fifi!'