Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Hmm Skinny, sorry about Alfie. My sister's dog shares his name (I'm his favourite source of salt. Goes mental when I get back off a long run.)

Have you been reading my guilt fuelled London Marathon charity page ? It goes something like this "Running is self indulgent; I'm a twat, but these organisations need some help. Give them some of your money on behalf of me being even more self indulgent. Err, what do you get out of this? Come to my post marathon party!"

As I followed that same line of thinking recently, I'll hold forth for a moment or two. It's not just a random time goal (though the time goal itself is utterly arbitrary), it's about keeping yourself fit, taking some time out with your thoughts, to get your ducks in a row, or to just blow the cobwebs away or detach from whatever has wormed its way unwelcomed into your consciousness. Yep, that's just putting a finer point on the self indulgent side of it, but all those things help you come out the other side in a slightly better place, I think.

Having said all that, for the second time round I find that marathon training is not granting me much on the feel good factor.

8m steady effort last night, coming out coincidentally at my Hull Marathon pace, with 7 bpm to spare (around 20 seconds per mile). As I'm finding a lot these days that fatigue is preventing me from getting to much more than a steady effort, so I ended up doing what everyone says not to do, which was to run in that grey zone between easy and hard.

10k race Sunday, so will plough on to try to reach 40 something miles this week and hope that a mini-taper of Thurs, Fri, Sat leaves me feeling fresher.

Mace - Sounds pretty active to me.
  • Options
    Yes - I can get all that satisfaction, fitness, meditative benefits from about 20 to 25 miles a week. I just wouldn't be super fit like I am now.

Anyhow I've decided that selfish is the way to go.  >:)

Re the dog thanks and I'm sorry to hear about the multitude of thread cats that are on their last legs too. This thread has proved useful in that my favourite photo of the dog is lost on an old phone or computer but fortunately I posted it on here so have been able to save a copy from back in September 2013.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    I'm x-training around a pool table / back and forth to the bar tonight i'll have you know.

Talk of DT's cat reminded me of when we were house huunting about 15 years ago. We knocked on the door and there was what looked like a statue of a cat by the door. I was temporarily mesmerised by it as it almost looked real ... then it moved and i nearly shat myself.

The house owner then told me that the cat was 27 YEARS OLD !!!!

That's all folks :-)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ha ha, better not tell that to my wife. We have 3 cats, which I had before we met and she doesn't particularly like cats. I don't think she would be too pleased to hear ours might get another 13 years!
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    dont say that mace, I inherited a cat that I'm hoping will kick the bucket soon, the thought of living with it for another decade is depressing....
  • Options
    *wanders over to the injury bay and sits down dejectedly*

Feels like a showstopper. I went to pick up a son from school yesterday and felt a strong and worsening burning sensation down my left shin. Immensely sore and behaving exactly the same today when walking. The sudden onset is worrying.

I'm mightily fed up but will throw a bit of money at a physio to rule out a stress fracture and then see what the prognosis is - seems like an anterior tibialis strain or tendonitis and I've already googled a few helpful articles.

Anyway I'm not minded to run a marathon with this sort of vulnerability lurking and risk being messed up for weeks on end so will take advice.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Shit, that doesn't sound good, Muddy! Though if it turns out to be easily fixable, you've already done all the training... VLM runners seem to be dropping like flies this year though.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed it goes as fast as it came, Muddy.

I am a bit scared to go for a run at the minute in case I get injured..

• Options
    Fingers crossed Muddy - as Lit says the miles are in the bank. Whilst not ideal you are probably a 3 mile leg loosener away from being able to stand on the start line with a good chance of a PB (provided that by then you are fixed). Good luck!
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    I've had several, seemingly serious, twinges/pains that have mysteriously disappeared after a couple of days with no intervention.  Let's hope yours does the same, muddy.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Skinny - thanks for the table updates. Sorry to hear about your dog.

Muddy - ouch. Hopefully it's something of nothing.

Stevie / Simon / Alehouse - saw this excellent article earlier. Should get you in the spirit for Saturday

http://leftspikefanzine.com/relaytradition/

Lovely weather for running at he moment.

• Options
    Sad news about the dog Skinny.  Our cat's like a lovely, batty old lady and will be sadly missed.
    However, when I type 'How' into google on my phone, the top smartsearch return is 'long do dogs live'.  That probably tells you all you need to know about my feelings for the dog.
    Doesn't sound good Muddy, but don't rule it all out yet.  I occasionally have pains that come and go and in the last few weeks I've had both a calf and hamstron strain that I suspected might be showstopper and both cleared up after a few days rest.
    To be honest, after a few decent night's sleep, and perhaps a bit less running, I'm feeling quite spritely and looking forward to a 5k pb attack in Stratford on Saturday. Forecast indicates that conditions will be good. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thank for the link, Tommy! Enjoyed that! Unfortunately won't be there on Saturday though.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Any news Muddy?

I ran 3 miles this morning. Well actually only 2.63 then got a twinge so walked home and cancelled hotel booking and will defer later. My foot felt much better until the twinge so I have some hope that maybe two or three more weeks might mend the problem however will also go back to physio to set out a recover and rehab plan.

I blame Mace :) , I think he started the dominoes falling. Who's actually left running it properly now, just DT and Lou?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Bad news, Skinny. I was only thinking this morning that the current register of those left standing to race to potential was Lou and I, though hopefully Muddy will declare himself back in soon.

I have a 10k sunday morning. I ran it last year in 39.31. The aim is 1. To beat last years time by as much as possible as that will give me an indication of gains, 2. pb 3. sub 38.30 (which is in fact feasible if I can hold my 5 mile pace from last weekend). Of course it could well be one of those days when things don't happen and I struggle home in 40 minutes because I went off too fast. This is in essence the last opportunity in training for me to hurt myself.

6 x 800 last night on treadmill. Chipped the pace back a little so ran them all in 2.50 which felt pleasantly hard as opposed to vomit inducing hard.

• Options
    Yes - just me and DT.  Shame, because was all lined up to be a big thread outing/smackdown.  Dangerous business this marathon running.
    I'm a bit sniffely today, but I won't let that dampen my enthusiasm for a 5k pb attack tomorrow and, as DT describes it, a last opportunity to hurt myself.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Sorry to hear that the short run was even shorter than planned Skinny. I'm unsure as to whether my hotel booking is cancellable :grimace: Might end up going down to spectate if that's the case.

I have just been ringing round to get to see a physio in vain at the moment but the walk to school this morning brought it all back, albeit in a less fiery, more stiff and aching way. I have also found other intriguing life threatening things it could be too, like a blood clot in my peroneal artery  :D

The sick to the stomach feeling I had when it happened has been replaced by an "oh well, I'll probably have to do Hull again" feeling in the worst case scenario. I may lose a bit of fitness while it sorts itself out but I was tiptoeing through the campaign due to the after effects of the fall I had in February and it might be best to get myself sorted out properly as that could still be a contributing factor. I remain hopeful though - and a bacon butty this morning cheered me up  :)

Best of luck tomorrow Lou, and see you Sunday DT (in Pokemon hunting mode)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

On the breakfast side of things, I am now finally back under 11 stone so celebrated this morning by upgrading my yogurt to, two slices of toast with butter. Quite a hearty feast!

Good luck at parkrun, Lou. I am planning another attack a week tomorrow all being well.

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    well that answers the question i was going to ask about if a parkrun this weekend would be too close to london (i'm also doing it, albeit much, much slower than the rest of you)
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Slower than me, TheDan? I quite like to do a parkrun the week before a big race. Practically the only time I ever do them, in fact.
  • Options

Lou & DT, good luck on your final attempts to sabotage your marathons!

TheDan - good luck for your parkrun, please try not to run under 20 minutes.

I've managed two runs this week, with a further one planned for this evening. I'm still suffering with neck/back pain, but it only really bothers me when sat at my desk for extended periods and when I first wake up in the morning. I've tried dropping subtle hints about me retiring on health grounds to my wife, but it doesn't seem to be working!

Have a great weekend, I'm off to Bristol to drink the beer a group of us made back in February.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Oh, Skinny - I had a birthday, for when you are next updating the table. Unfortunately (though quite correctly, in gender parity terms) Scottish Athletics does not bother with FV35, so I don't get to start hoovering up veteran prizes. I celebrated by doing 3*2*600 on the track (off 2 minutes & 10 minutes). Massive long intervals meant we had to run fast. Ouch. However, afterwards I got to have cake, cocktails, steak and wine with 3 Fifis and Mr Fifi2, which was lovely.

In exciting Fifi-pacing news, Fifi2, who'd decided to pull out of London due to missed training with a foot injury, mentioned she was planning to come down to London anyway that weekend and was wondering how best to combine doing her long run with supporting at the marathon. I was reminded of the time Johnas off the Stevie G thread paced me to halfway from the champs start by not wearing his timing chips, and so we decided Fifi2 could help me pace Fifi1 to halfway, then melt into the crowds to join Mr Fifi2 who would have all her clothes in a rucksack. Fifi1 was THRILLED at the prospect of having two of us bouncing along next to her. She cannot wait.
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

lit, unless you're planning to run in the 3:30-3:45 range you'll still be ahead of me!

Rich, i wouldnt worry too much, the chances of me knocking another 90 seconds off my PB seems a little unlikely, maybe i'll aim for 20:09 ;)

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I am planning to run exactly 3:29, unless it turns out Fifi1 can't manage, in which case we will cruise in under 3:50 for GFA.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It's all getting slightly real and exciting now, this London business (apologies for those that have made the decision to not run). I have just aligned the tag heur ticker to my facebook profile so it will post when I start, go half way and finish, showing my times.

The Dan, a good blast around parkrun the weekend before London is pretty common stuff.

• Options
    Sorry TheDan - forgot about you.  Have a go at Parkrun - can't do any harm can it?
    DT - that ticker business sounds exciting.  Is it a phone app or something?
    Lit - Will you be wearing 'Crazy Runner' style fancy dress like Johnas did?
    My strict diet of 'not eating mince pies every day' has resulted in my weight going from about 12 stone in January to 11.6 this week.  I don't think it will go any further in the next two weeks with reduced mileage.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Lou - Johnas was just wearing his club vest, so was dressed as a deck chair.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lou, it is very exciting. I used it last year and when I finished, the finish line ticker had a very high number of likes which boosted my ego substantially. It came up on my feed today via the London marathon facebook page. You have to click on the link and input your name, dob and race number and then log in to your facebook account. It then posts a 'Ive just started the vmlm blah blah', then 'I've just reached half way in 1.32.15', then, 'i've just completed the vmlm in xxxxx'.

An Easter bank holiday weekend is also unhelpful for weight control, though gone are the days when lots of people would buy the children Easter eggs and we would eat them after they were in bed. They have a very sharp recollection these days of exactly what is there. I also have the Worcestershire law society annual awards tonight which means I am going to have free booze and food thrown at me.

• Options
    Lit - must have been someone else I was thinking of.
    DT - found it.  I'll set up this evening.
    McF is at home full time these days, so I doubt the easter eggs will last long enough to impact my waistline.