Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    From the same school of genius as a  spectator I once overheard saying we'd "done the hard part" 1 mile into a half marathon  :)
  • Options
    Technically true; the training is the hardest part.
  • Options
    Depends how fast you run that first mile! I'm back with a 5k run this evening. I'm joining Pete in metric until the distance in miles doesn't seem so I pathetic, and my legs don't feel quite so heavy
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That can't be right, Lit. We won the event, there is a medal I just haven't been able to physically receive it yet. I shouldn't lose out on ttt glory due to inefficent presentation skills. 
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I don't make the rules, I'm afraid, DT.
  • Options
    lou Diamondslou Diamonds ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have to say that I'd misinterpreted the fifi reference.
     Nice pb DT and Pete.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I suppose it is borderline plausible that they could all be called Fiona.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Hi.  I haven't been around or doing much running, and will be deferring London.  I am also older, fatter and more than one person ;)  Intending to keep plodding around a little until I can't any more, but I've been soooo tired and feeling rather sick a lot of the time so running's just been an as and when I feel like it thing.  I'm assured it all gets better in a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping this is true!
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Madbee!  B)
  • Options
    DT19 said:
    I've not received it yet. They couldn't finalise to do presentation after race and were rather flippant about when they would get it to me but either way we won the county team event. 
    literatin said:
    Doesn't count if you didn't get the actual medal, DT. Those are Skinny's rules, not mine.
    Sadly DT that is true. I was the victim of this myself when I won the Cumbria XC V45 Gold Medal but never stayed and never received the prize - no prize = no prize for TTT.

TTT re-amended and attached pending a further update.

PeteHew said:
    Thanks for the update, Skinny :).  I was rather hoping I had improved my wava. Have you switched to using the 2015 tables?
    No - just out of practice at updating the TTT! Well done Pete on improving your WAVA and putting the Bronze cell further out of reach of your fellow bronze leaguers. See new TTT attached.
  • Options
    I'm another who just thought you knew a lot of people who ran who were called Fiona. You must have been embarrassed for us as you had to make it more and more obvious that they were not.
    Thankfully Muddy finally twigged. :D  
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I wasn't trying to be deliberately confusing! I just didn't want to put people's real names on the internet. In fact, we only have one Fiona but she doesn't train with us.
  • Options
    Madbee said:
    Hi.  I haven't been around or doing much running, and will be deferring London.  I am also older, fatter and more than one person ;)  Intending to keep plodding around a little until I can't any more, but I've been soooo tired and feeling rather sick a lot of the time so running's just been an as and when I feel like it thing.  I'm assured it all gets better in a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping this is true!
    Congratulations Madbee! 

The Overdone It? thread is quite a baby factory.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    literatin said:
    Doesn't count if you didn't get the actual medal, DT. Those are Skinny's rules, not mine.

True story

i've been in denial up to last night but I don't see a route to VLM 2017 from here.

Very disappointing and frustrating.
    That's hideous news both for you and me (and i'm sure the rest of us ) as I was looking forward to seeing what you could do. I thought that you would probably get inside my 'nearly-two-year-old' TT time (which muddy would have already done by the time you'd crossed the finish line !! )

Belated returns to Pete and Rich, and well done to the pb'ers

Back to being a non-runner again. Last run was 10 days ago when i planned a 5-miler but got a bit carried away, ran it progressively and hit the dizzy heights of a 7:05 in the 4th mile, which was net downhill. I was fooked after that ( averaged 8:03/M ) and walked the remaining mile home !! I need to be jogging at 9:30 at the moment i reckon but am finding it VERY difficult to be that disciplined.

Since then i've been doing a lot of DIY/decorating and extremely busy at work, plus the last 3-4 days I've had a recurrence of the toe/foot pain ( gout ? ) that i had in the Autumn so wouldn't have been able to run anyway. It's amazing though how easy it is to drop the running when you aren't fit ....

Madbee - Congratulations !!! :)
  • Options
    Rich Clark2Rich Clark2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

After a quick read back...

Sorry to hear about London Skinny, was looking forward to the race report. Autumn marathon maybe? Or defer London and start training in a few weeks?! seriously though, you should be able to capitalise on all the training this summer - I expect some exciting results once the foot is fully healed.

Great relay running, well done on the various pbs, and thanks to Lit for Fifi-gate, I had a good chuckle.

Congrats Madbee!

Hope the foot behaves itself Mace and you can get back to fitness.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Congrats, Madbee!

Skinny, I shall probably receive my medal sometime over the summer so will revert at that point. Standard of medal presentations is aligned quite well to the standard of the event!

So is that a final decision on VMLM? To some extent you have already capitalised from the training with decent jumps at HM and 10k.

Mace, sorry to hear it isn't happening still. Proper training is a hard habit to form.

13 miles at mp tonight. Oddly I'm not look all that forward to it.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Madbee!  And also belated congratulations to Marrows!  Looking forward to more tales of running while pushing a buggy ;) I've missed those since McFlooze's injury. 

Commiserations to McF, Skinny and mace.  It's shit being injured but maybe you can catch up on other things you enjoy but have been neglecting.

Thanks for wava update, Skinny.  Glad you haven't switched to 2015 tables.  I'd need to run 10k over 40 seconds quicker to match my % from old tables :o

Were I to talk about a local female "rival" (aka someone who always beats me) from Wigan Phoenix runners, would I need to refer to her as Wiwi??
  • Options
    Congratulations to you and Mr Mad on getting fat Madbee. I'm pretty sure this will be the only time I could get away with uttering such a statement !

Mace - are you doing other stuff (hesitating to all out recommend the dreaded cross training)  to supplement the running ? It helped smooth over the fits and starts I had last year before consistency came back.

Skinny - That's not great news and it's a real shame you won't be able to participate. I'm kind of assuming you will be deferring - which is the most sensible option, in my opinion, as you could be back at it within the period normally associated with marathon recovery. Thanks for the updates.

Pete - PhoePhoe, surely ?
  • Options
    Pete - PhoePhoe, surely ? clapBravo!
  • Options

Mace - are you doing other stuff (hesitating to all out recommend the dreaded cross training)  to supplement the running ?
    He's eating (lots of pies by the looks of things), drinking beer and playing pool - all guaranteed to have you running a sub 40 minute 10k in no time once his feet are better. Based on the video of him playing pool he will be able to take up sumo wrestling to keep himself fit soon.

Hth Mace  :)
  • Options
    Fortunately for me I enjoy running and have found in this marathon build up that 20 mile runs can be pleasant and not as hard as I found them last time so the thought of going through all this for another 12 months does not fill me with dread. The main disappointment is in knowing that I was in good shape this time and there is no guarantee I will be in the same shape in 12 months nor that I will not get injured again in some sort of horrible groundhog day experience.

Still sometimes the harder you have to work for something the sweeter it is when you succeed.

I did enjoy playing golf and walking up a fell at the weekend (breezed up the fell on marathon trained legs after a 3 week taper) so there is certainly life beyond running.

Sadly Alfie, the dog, does have cancer so he won't be around much longer. You would never guess the way he is still sprinting around and bounding over wet swamps on the fells (even at 10) but hopefully he can be like that till it's his time and then we can quickly help him on his way. So much more sensible the way we deal with animals to the things we put humans through.

It is however making me reflect on how I do spend my time. Less running selfishly on my own for 3 hours on a Sunday morning could have meant more time walking him on the fells instead of leaving him sitting on a couch for 3 hours and of course I can then apply that same logic to the rest of my family. Perhaps running 50 miles a week to try and attain some random time goals is just too selfish an activity and there are better ways to invest some of my hours spent and recovering from running.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your dog, Skinny.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    muddy - no x-training at all apart from commute walking ( 1M each way ), walking the dogs (3M a week ) and walking round and round a pool table ( not very far )

I have got a lot of other stuff done around the house though and have amassed a huge bank of brownie points for when i do eventually get properly back into it.

skinny - sorry to hear about the pooch :'(

• Options
    Sorry about your dog Skinny. Hope you get some more quality walks with him before the time comes.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Really sorry about both marathon and dog, Skinny.  But especially the dog.  We're going through the same with our cat at the moment.  Gone off her food, got very thin and turns out she has a massive tumour. I've had her since I was 25 so we've been through a lot together...she's 13 now.  Think we're going to have to help her on her way soon but for now we're spoiling her rotten.    Enjoy him whilst you can.

Congratulations again, Madbee!  Hope you're feeling less ropey soon.

Thanks Marrows - I can live without playing frisbee I think but want it to be stable for chasing the kids about, off road running and hopefully skiing in the future.  Hope your pregnancy going well too.  Makes me feel nostalgic all these babies, but not actively broody.  Phew! 

Waves to everyone else - I'm checking in every now and then.  Really missing my running but doing some physio now.  Back at the hospital on Monday.  Amusingly my consultants secretary called me the other day to bollock me for not turning up to my MRI scan.  I was like - what, the MRI scan that the Doctor reviewed with me last time I was at the hospital?  Pretty sure I was there for that.  So that may account for why the radiology team have STILL not managed to write a report about whether my meniscus in intact or not.  Irritating since if it is damaged they like to repair that ASAP before it starts degrading further.  
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Sorry you're not on top form as well, Mace.  But I'm sure that Ricky Hatton-like you will rise from the chips and beer and morph back into a racing snake-ish thing.  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the dog, Skinny. I am in a similar position with my cat that I have had since 2004. He is being kept going on heart pills and has somehow for 15 months now.

Glad your treatment is progressing mcf.

I went out for 13 at mp last night. Was going great until 8.5 miles (having completed the biggest climbs) then my body crashed to proper death marching. I couldn't get above 7.20 pace so knocked it on the head at 10 miles. Comparatively, as a 10 mile mp run it did in fact present a lower HR and same pace as last weeks 10 miler with over double the elevation gain so I wont grumble too much.

The problem I am having is that I am operating at a calorie deficit at the minute as trying to squeeze as much weight off before carb loading, however this is not conducive to bigger sessions.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I think it can be done, DT, but you have to be quite careful with meal timing. Last year I noticed I could cut calories but did need a reasonably substantial snack two hours before my session.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes I am sure there is a way. It worked last week for my 22, but I had a decent lunch about an hour before I went out and snacked all morning. Yesterday I had a yogurt for breakfast, some fruit through day and a very small ham sandwich for lunch. My stomach was growling before I went out so it shouldn't be a surprise.
  • Options
    DT19 said:

The problem I am having is that I am operating at a calorie deficit at the minute as trying to squeeze as much weight off before carb loading, however this is not conducive to bigger sessions.

Mace is trying to do the opposite of this and it's not working for him either.