Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    What is it with the weather at the moment - going out for my 5 and it is absolutely bucketing it down again. 
  • Options
    Last week 5,4,9,4,5,11,0 for 38 total.

Taper towards 10m 'race' on Sunday but should still manage 38 for week. Moving last week's long run to Saturday means I can move my midweek 10 to Tuesday this week and then taper from there.

Probably stick 12*100m strides into my 10 just to sharpen me up.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

38m for me also with a 13m yesterday.

Started with a recovery 4m this morning.

Weather appears a bit more steady this week.

• Options
    35m last week for me, weather shit here, out later for some miles.
  • Options
    Shit here, again, too - where are you Kevin?

I'm out for 4m after work. Forecast suggests it might be dry by then which would make a pleasant change.
  • Options
    Hello everyone! Weather's lovely here in Fife. Probably haven't got time to go running though.
  • Options
    SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hi Lit - there's always time to go running - you just need to make it part of your daily routine again.

10 this morning with 12*100m strides - 2 sets of strides a mile certainly makes the run seem to pass quickly. Just a few 3s and 4s now till race on Sunday.

Interesting that when race was announced at end of August as going ahead I thought it would sell out really quickly. In actual fact at the time it was announced there were already 176 entrants and now there are only about 165 with a lot of withdrawals. The split between males and females a week ago was about 50/50 whereas now it is 40 females/60 males - not sure if that is an unease about Covid or possibly the lack of social contact before and after is putting some people off.

Very surprised that parkrun has announced it is back at the end of October - I can't see how that can possibly work and may lead to adverse publicity with other park users complaining.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi Lit, as skinny says, you just need to make running a normal part if your day.

I don't see parkrun happening. Most organised races are having the plug pulled last minute, not by organisers but by the landowners or local authority. The way things are rising, in 6 weeks time it'll be wholly inappropriate to restart parkrun. 

Suddenly between 8.30 and 10am a park area goes from people easily socially distancing  to 200 people charging about.  I think it'll prove very negative gor its brand. Most posts I've seen on parkrun groups by avid parkrunners are generally pretty negative. Apparently central parkrun announced this with no prior warning to run directors. 
  • Options
    Yeah, also can't be arsed though. :)

parkrun doesn't seem like a great idea... especially as there's no mention in their guidelines (as far as I can see) of what to do about recording participants who don't bring their barcode, don't cross the finish line, or otherwise don't register. There are always a few.
  • Options

Parkruns reopening :s unsure about that, only done one park run as part of a long run.

Glasgow location for me Skinny but rain stopped and sun came out for a sweatfest 6mls.

Surely the lovely fife scenery can get you arsed Lit :)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Being arsed is of course an important part of the mix. 

At the very least, if parkrun can happen it's going to be very difficult to not allow normal racing, especially as they will have gathered details of all entrants, probably have a closed location and can control numbers much more effectively.
  • Options
    Kevin - true, but I could just look out of my window while sipping a delicious g&t. Or go for a pleasant stroll along the coast path with my dog.
  • Options
    literatin said:
    Kevin - true, but I could just look out of my window while sipping a delicious g&t. Or go for a pleasant stroll along the coast path with my dog.
    Oh you're all loved up at the moment - that will wear off.

I presumed originally that central parkrun had announced it without telling all the local organisers simply to try and control the message but just listened to the Carlisle organiser on 5live and they still are completely in the dark. By end of October Carlisle is normally on the 5 lap course - I think I'll be giving it a wide berth and hoping, like DT says, that it releases more normal racing which doesn't involve lapping hundreds of people and probably only brings you into contact with about 20 people max.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well, the announcement just almost kicks parkruns plans out well into the long grass in my view. They really couldn't have got this more wrong. 
  • Options
    We're going on a family holiday on Monday to Ripon - there are 7 of us. :s

If the woman who owns the property lets us go we are still going but means anything we want to do outside together will need to be split into two groups.

It all feels a bit arbitrary and I'm not sure what the goal is - are we trying to eliminate the virus or simply keep the numbers low (and our lifestyles like this) forever?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    With 2 young kids, a lot of our leisure time is around them and so regularly meeting up with a 3 or a 4. Now illogically we will have to leave 2 parents at home or do dads and lads, mums and daughters, yet we are still then just mixing with the same household. 

My take is that in march they were slammed for acting too late. The pipeline of death was prepared.

Whilst many complain no one is dying right now, if you wait until they are then it's too late as you've got that pipeline and your back to full lockdown to control it. 

It's the death knell for decent racing anytime soon. 
  • Options
    SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Probably the passing bell.
    The death knell would be on Monday.

Thus allowing me to 'race' on Sunday :-)
  • Options
    I don't think the situation for parkrun (still a stupid idea) is any different: weren't gatherings of more than six people already against the government guidance? It's just that now police will be able to enforce it. They will claim that they are an exception as they are a 'sporting event'. The only real difference in what you're allowed to do seems to be that the limit of six now also applies to family/household groups, on purpose to scupper Skinny's holiday.
  • Options
    PS I'm still second in my Virtual 10k Trail race with 98 of the 113 times in so that would be an unexpected bonus.
    Someone's just dropped off £15 at home for coming second :-) and a very impressive finisher's medal - bling city.
  • Options
    > @literatin said:
    > I don't think the situation for <a href="http://www.gottosports.com/running/">parkrun</a> (still a stupid idea) is any different: weren't gatherings of more than six people already against the government guidance? It's just that now police will be able to enforce it. They will claim that they are an exception as they are a 'sporting event'. The only real difference in what you're allowed to do seems to be that the limit of six now also applies to family/household groups, on purpose to scupper Skinny's holiday.

--
    1 step forward, 27 steps back. Sports is hugely impacted. After a few matches everyhting gets shut down again
  • Options

Mrs Skinny's hand not mine.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Popeye, I've no idea what's right and wrong in all this now! 

Nice work, Skinny!

My first post injury tempo today. Just 4m us 1.5 wu and cd. Splits were 6.39, 6.31, 6 32 and 6.27 for 6 32mm average and smack on 160bpm. Very pleased and surprised by that. 
  • Options
    Good stuff DT - nice sensible first mile too before blasting the last mile to make up the average!
  • Options
    I'm going to try and buy some Alpha or Vaporfly Next % on Saturday.

Does anyone have any idea which ones I should get if I'm planning only to race in them?

Ignore the price differential because once I'm in £240 I don't mind being in £260 provided I pick the right ones.

Thanks for any help you can give. Cheers. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, I had capacity in the HR to kick on as my aim was to complete the session at 160 average and I was on about 158 going into that mile so I opened up a bit.

If you read the marketing the alphafly is pushed more as a marathon shoe where as next % is pushed as a versatile shoe. I've raced twice in my next% and they are immense and it would be hard to imagine the alphafly adding much more. The various youtube reviews of both shoes head to head also suggests there's little to nothing between them. That said, having just finally being told that Lufthansa are now going to refund my £211 Berlin flights, i'm in the market for some alphafly.

I might be able to get hold of another student 10% nike discount code you can have which'll knock £25 off and make the alphafly a more acceptable £235!

• Options
    Thanks DT - it's weird there is nothing between them because they look very different.

I'll be lucky to get either such is the demand so will probably not have a choice - I can only get in the queue for one though so just thought I would ask.

Cheers

PS Any sign of Muddy on Strava? 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    It's difficult to know where Greater demand will be, I'd suspect alphafly though mainly as there'sonly been 2 drops that went fast since their launch. Theres been a lot of previous opportunity to buy next % in last 18 months. I wasn't anticipating having to join a queue mind! 

I'm quite fortunate being a 7.5 or 8 as I'm at that cross over size where it's just on the furthest edge of women's sizes but too small for most men so it's  much less demand than size 9 onwards and size 6 downwards. 

Yes he has started popping over with runs over the last 3 weeks, just seemingly building back up by looks. 
  • Options
    Is sizing similar to normal shoes? I normally get running shoes half a size bigger so I'm a 10 in everyday shoes and a 10.5 in most running shoes.

Makes sense re the shoes - I'll try the Vaporfly then - don't want to go too fast and not leave myself any room for improvement! ;-)

Pleased to here Muddy is back logging miles - cheers
  • Options
    PS I’ve got a 10% discount off my daughter - thanks wasn’t aware. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The discount is well worth having when spending that much. I'd also suggest, if not already, you get the app and make sure you are logged in etc.

As for sizing, im size 8 in all running shoes, but found the original vaporfly a bit big so went 7.5 in the flyknit and that fitted well. However, the next % moved from that material and my 7.5 in them are a bit narrow and tighter than i'd like so i'll be aiming for a size 8 in the alphafly, but i'll take a 7.5 if that' all that's left.