Options

Dublin 2012

Comments

• Options
    JLB3 wrote (see)

Dub Runner - This is my first Marathon, so as long as I finish, it's a PB!  Booked into the Maldron Hotel, looks nice enough.  Fancied having access to a pool, sauna etc.  Also, bringing the wife so couldn't slum it.

@JLB3 - this is my frst marathon too. I live just 50 meters from your hotel image 

I've finished Frank Duffy 10M race in 1:23. It was way, way better than my target (as I started training pretty late and gained almost 10kg in half a year target was 1:35). I've injured my hip... I skipped 4M slow today. Tomorrow 15M slow is scheduled. Will try to run a bit and will see how it goes. 

• Options

This weeks sessions - Monday is a rest day

Tuesday
    28th August

5 x 1km Repetitions with 2 mins walk recovery

Warm with 5- 10 min easy jog. 3-4 stride throughs and 10 mins Stretching. When doing the repetitions try to keep them all even. Then after the session 10 min Jog and 11 mins Stretching

Wednesday
    29th August

16 km easy run

Followed By 10-15min stretching.

Thursday
    30th August

10 km easy run

Friday
    31st August

8 x 300m Hill Sprints with job back recovery

Warm with 5- 10 min easy jog. 3-4 stride throughs and 10 mins Stretching. Then on a hill with roughly 7% gradient, run the hills hard with a jog back recovery. Then after the session 10 min Jog and 11 mins Stretching

Saturday
    1st September

10 km easy run

Sunday
    2nd September

32 km easy run

• Options
    WarrenDWarrenD ✭✭✭

I have just remembered how much these forums can make me feel inadequate when it comes to the amount of miles I'm covering!

I did the Frank Duffy 10mile in 67:28 at the weekend. It was a PB for me, so I was happy with that, but knowing theres a half-marathon looming in less than 3 weeks I'm not really feeling that I've done enough to date. The hills in the Phoenix Park can be hard going (especially when you hit the Upper Glen Rd) with 10 miles gone.

This week I plan to do a LSR of 14 miles, with a tempo run of 30 mins (@ 6:40/mi), an interval run and 2 other easy 4-mile runs.

• Options

My fourth marathon and the first on a flat road course. Aiming for sub-3.15. An Achilles injury earlier in the year has put me behind schedule but I'm gradually building up the mileage now. I'm running the Kent Coastal HM this weekend so will be able to check on progress.

My usual running partner is off to the NYC marathon, so if anyone looking for a similar time is running solo and wants to buddy-up, let me know.

Less than two months to go!

• Options

Evening all - I'm running pretty low milage compared to everyone else and only 3-4 runs per week. But hopefully should be enough - hill session on tues and track tonight. Aiming for 16-17 miles this saturday... fingers crossed! Hope all your training is going to plan.image

• Options
    Hi all. I'm new to Runners World. I just signed up for the Dublin Marathon and found this forum. I was wondering if anyone knows if the organisers print runners names on the running bibs. I did my first marathon in Amsterdam last year and I found it a huge lift having people call my name when I was struggling through the final 10k. If they don't I guess I may get it printed on my running vest. Thanks...
  • Options

There are no names on the Running Numbers image You'll have to get your own

• Options
    Thanks Jim, looks like a trip to the printers for me then image
  • Options

I failed on Sunday - I only managed just over 30 Km - It was a hard week and I didn't have it in me - Even more this week - Today is a rest day image

Tuesday 4th September

2 x 2km Repetitions with 4min recovery Warm with 5- 10 min easy jog. 3-4 stride throughs and 10 mins Stretching. When doing the repetitions try to keep them all even. Then after the session 10 min Jog and 11 mins Stretching

Wednesday 5th September 19 km easy run Followed By 10-15min stretching.

Thursday 6th September 10 km easy run Followed By 10-15min stretching. 

Friday 7th September 8 km Race Pace (Tempo Run) Warm with 5- 10 min easy jog. 3-4 stride throughs and 10 mins Stretching.With Race Pace this will be a true reflection of you ability to hold the pace of your current estimated time. As such try to run even KM splits at the time suggested. Then after the session 10 min Jog and 11 mins Stretching

Saturday 8th September 10 km easy run Followed By 10-15min stretching. 

Sunday 9th September 36 km easy run Followed By 10-15min stretching.

• Options

Jim - I'm tired just reading your schedule! image

• Options

Alexey - Are you familiar with the Hotel?  Is it any good?

10K race on Sunday, to see were I'm at.  Pleased with a new PB 47:28, 1:40 off my previous best.  That predicts a 3:42 marathon, which is a tall order!  18 miler on Sunday, then HM the following week; aiming for 1:45. 

• Options

Bumped the 18 miler to next week, and hit my 1:45 at Waterside HM, so 3:43 target it is for Dublin.

• Options

I managed 33Km on Sunday not quite the 36Km that was in the schedule - legs are getting a bit tired now - Here is this weeks schedule. Monday is a rest day image

Tuesday 11th September - Monaghetti Fartlek  - Warm with 5- 10 min easy jog. 3-4 stride throughs and 10 mins Stretching.Then run very hard for 90 secs hard, followed by 90 secs jog x 2 Immediately followed by 60 secs hard, 60 secs jog x 4 Immediately followed by 30 secs hard, 30 secs jog x 4 and then Immediately followed by 15 secs hard, 15 secs easy x 4 = Total session Time of 20 mins Then after the session 10 min Jog and 11 mins Stretching                           

Wednesday   12th September-  19 km easy run followed By 10-15min stretching.

Thursday  13th September 10 km easy run followed By 10-15min stretching. Friday  14th September - 8 x 400m with a 200m jog in the same time as the repetition time - Warm with 5- 10 min easy jog. 3-4 stride throughs and 10 mins Stretching. When doing the repetitions try to keep them all even. Then after the session 10 min Jog and 11 mins Stretching 

Saturday 15th September 10 km easy run    Followed By 10-15min stretching.                                                                      

Sunday 16th September  32 km easy run    Followed By 10-15min stretching.                 

• Options

Jim, your program puts me to shame, I've had to do a lot of working away from home recently and missed many mid-week runs.  I'm getting the long stuff done though.  How is your weight loss coming along?

• Options

Unfortunately I am 10Lb heavier than I was for last years Marathon but I am dropping 2Lb a week at the moment so I hope to be around the same at the start. Currently I am relatively injury free so I hope to get the mileage in this year but no races as I pushed myself too much last year trying to do faster 1/2 marathons and ended up injured and missing a few weeks training . I did the Athlone 3/4 in 3:03 last year and thought I was up for a sub 4:00 but the lack of long slow runs caught up with me on the marathon and I did a 2:00 /2:28 split last year. I am using the Marathon Guru training program this year and it is predicting 3:55 but 3:59:59 imagewould be great. I'm also thinking of doing Barcelona next year as it falls on Paddy's day

• Options

This is from the Dublin Marathon facebook page- Both of these would be less than a mile from the start

Dublin Marathon  Anyone looking for a Hotel at Dublin Marathon time. For Sunday 28th of October 2012 the 4 star property Clyde Court Hotel (formerly Berkeley Court Hotel) could offer a single rate of €99 B&B with a late checkout till 4pm. For shared rooms it would be €55pps B&B with 4pm late checkout. For the 3 star Ballsbridge Hotel they can offer €44pps for a shared room or a single rate of €79. Both of these rates include breakfast and a late checkout till 4pm the next day. Enjoy..  
  • Options
    I'm running this and really looking forward to it. 20 miles long run done yesterday, and the weekend before, a shorter one next weekend before another 20 then tapering.

Spoke to someone who's done it before and they say that in the built up areas the support is amazing, but there are bits where there are far fewer people - just wondering if they allow iPods at this race. Anyone know?
  • Options

They allow them but don't recommend using them. There are very few places where there are no crowds

• Options

Late to this thread but been catching up on all the training. Some good work being put in by people. I am returning to Dublin for this years race having run my first one there last year. I said afterwards never again and here I am only 6 weeks from doing it all again.

Last year I came in at 3h59:30. I was aiming for 3h45 but my IT band gave me hell from mile 8 and I had to walk for a couple of periods towards the end. I've run 5 half marathons this year with my recent pb of 1h35 so the aim is for 3h30 thistime. Training is going really well. Up to 17 miles and will do a 20 miler 3 weeks out. Averaging about 35-40 miles a week just now. Couldn't be happier with training so far so hopefully stay injury free and reach by target!

• Options

Another 20+ Miler in today - A few ;ittle niggles but otherwise pretty good for a 50+  215Lb 5110" Fat boy - Will I would love your 3:59 time -that's my target this yearimage

• Options

Good work gents.  I had 18 miles planned on Sunday, but was slogging around the Mournes for over 7 hours on Saturday, and just had too many aches and pains etc.  Will do it on Friday I think.

• Options

Completed last weeks schedule though I was slowing towards the end of Sundays LSR - My schedule seems to be starting to taper

Tuesday 18th of September

5 x 1km Repetitions with 2 mins walk recovery                   

Wednesday  19th September                                           

16 km easy run                   

Thursday  20th September                                                         

10 km easy run                   

Friday   21st September                                                       

4 x 800m with 2:30 min walk recovery                     

Saturday  22nd September                                                       

10 km easy run                     

Sunday  23rd September                                                       

28 km easy run                     

• Options

Maybe it's just giving you a mini recovery week, seems too early for taper.  I still have an 18, and 2 x 20 milers to do up to 7th September.

• Options

The next 3 Long Runs are dropping 28Km/24km/20Km and the midweeks are dropping as well 16Km/13Km/13Km and the 10Km runs drop to 8Km over the next couple of weeks

I found it a bit strange with 6 weeks to go but I have already had a 32/36/32Km LSR for the last 3 weeks and two consecutive +50 mile weeks.

• Options

Your program is a tough one (certainly compared to what I've been doing), I'm sure you'll be well prepared.  Have you done any races during your build-up?

• Options

No - I did the Longford Half/Phoenix Park Half and Athlone 3/4 as races last year and picked up injuries and found I had nothing left after halfway in the Marathon so I am just doing the Marathon this time

I did 1:54/1:57/3:03 for those last year and sneaked the Barcelona Marathon in as well in March

• Options

I did a 10k and HM over the past month, and it's given me great confidence that my times are looking good for going well under 4h mark; but the most important thing is to make it to the start line!

• Options
    I'm in too. Hello.
  • Options

Sounds like training's going well for everyone. I managed a PB last weekend at the Dublin Half Marathon, coming in under 1:29. I was delighted with that, but have been really suffering all week with sore calf muscles.

Time to get the long runs in now. I haven't gone over half marathon distance yet, so this weekend will involve a 17 - 18 miler.

• Options

I'm going to get my 18 miler in tomorrow after work, then I won't be fretting about it all weekend!  Might just reward myself with a mini blow-out on Saturday.