Dublin 2012

Comments

• Hello everyone - I know I am a tad late to this forum (this is my first forum post on any topic ever) can anyone tell me if they do the breakfast run on the Sunday? is it worth it? or is it better to rest?

• Thanks Will / Muzza - advice definitely heeded now! image

• Breakfast run is only 3.6k so it won't hurt to do it, take no risks but there usually just a bit of fun not a race.
  • imageGetting really excited now.....i am working the rest of the week,but have a day off today...so i have spent the last wee while printing off Marathon Acceptance slip, boarding passes for flight, hotel confirmation, maps for hotel, EXPO and also marathon route!!!!  AAaaaaagghhhh...I CAN'T WAIT...!!!!!

Only three more training runs...and then 'breakfast run' on Sunday and then we are there!!image Hope everyone is feeling good and ready...

• Weather looks to be cool and dry for Monday with 13 mph wind - remember you can bring old outer clothes to wear before the start and dump them as they collect them for charity during the day

3 x 1 Km today at 4:45 pace with 2 minute walk  between each - 8Km tomorrow = got a sore foot but only hurts after running image

• I'm feeling like you Dave, it's like being a kid waiting for christmas. Taking it so easy this week. I haven't run since Sunday and only planning a couple of miles tomorrow and Thursday.Have decided to avoid all caffeine this week too. I think I have become borderline obessive about my preparation.

I just booked a nice Italian Restaurant for 7pm Sunday which seems to have a nice menu and is pretty central. My flight doesn't get me in until 2pm so the breakfast run is out for me

Weather forecasts are still looking very good although it's obviously still very early yet. I like the prediction of a 10% chance of rain.image

• TimeDayNight Weather Conditions Temperature (°C/°F) Highest temperature: 7°C45°F to 12°C54°F Lowest temperature: 1°C34°F to 10°C50°F Wind Speed (mph/km/h) 13km/h8mph West North Westerly 19km/h12mph North North Westerly Wind Direction WNW NNW Humidity 79% 79%
  • Ill take those conditions Jim, but think ill wait till Sundays forecast before I trust anything they say! image

Just take everything so that we're prepared whatever turns up. I think vest/shorts and maybe gloves could be about it, may even use arm warmers as you can roll them down and use then as gloves once you have warmed up a bit.

A little run tomoz massage and rest day Thursday 3-4m run fri with a few strides fly sat and breakfast run Sunday. That's the plan, really cut down on food this week then sat I can have almost what I like. Hopefully this calf/foot niggle buggers off! I raced like a donkey on Sunday legs felt crap, knocked my confidence a little but I'm hoping Monday will be a better day in the office.
  • 3 and a half days now. My worry isn't about training now it's about how to transport my gels during the race. I have bought an SIS marathon belt but not so sure if it's going to remain in place. Last think i want is the belt wobbling about annoying me. On the other hand I can't carry 6 gels by hand and I need to take them with me. What is everyone else planning to do gel wise?

• SPI belt for me. Amazingly expandable, slots for the gels int he sides. You might be able to pick one up at the Expo otherwise Google is your friend. 

• I bought a triathlon number belt with the gel slots but the hi5 gels fell out so I use an okd digital camera case (soft leather velco top) and  case and I put 8 gels in it

Used it without camera case in a 3/4 Marathon and lost gels used it in marathon with case and no problemsimage

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. It looks like I'll be fit to run on Monday.

I've spent the 10 days doing everything possible to get my ankle working again after my acident and it's about 85% normal now and getting noticably better everyday. The swelling has just about gone and I've survived a couple of 90 min low impact gym sessions.

With another 3 days to go, I'm confident enough that I'll at least make it to the start line. I'm still not 100% certain that I'll finish, but time will tell. It's not exactly been a text book taper into the marathon, but at least all the hard work had been done when I went down so I've only missed a few easy sessions. I'm hoping that, and my sheer pigheadiness will get me around.

As far as gel belts go, I'll probably carry a very cheap Hilly waist belt that I bought for a recent adventure race and put some gels in that. I've also found that if I don't want a belt, then I can poke a couple of gels into the waist band of my tri shorts and they stay put with minimal bother.

• The gel belt of all gel belts are Zip vit, bought one a few yrs back when it came free with some bits at London expo and never looked back for the gels I haven't dropped since, I use high 5 or SIS gels also pup my asthma pump in there and it's great. I've attached a link you can buy one, a bit late now but maybe for future. They did a free belt/runners nutrition pack back along only had to pay ??5 postage so ordered a load for future as like everything good gets discontinued.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zipvit-sport-sport-racebelt/

Good to hear your fit Redjeep!

Think the 10 day forecast was usual crap, all I can see is wind and rain now. What will be will be.

Best of luck everyone!
  • Weather Forecasts are a bit mixed but most are20 to 30% chance of rain, mild, 13 mph wind

• I was practicing with SIS gel belt last night. I find the belt stays in place and the SIS gels stay also, but I got really annoyed by the top and bottom of the gels 'flapping' about. So went with putting the gels in the pouch of the belt and tucking the pouch into back of shorts to stop that flapping... which worked well!

• Will make full use of the gel stations at miles 15 & 21 so wont have to carry too many on route.  Only managed to get 3 or 4 down me when I did my only other marathon (Dublin 2010) before feeling yukky - will see how it goes this year!  Perhaps if High 5 did Guinness flavoured gels, I may feel more inclined to take them! 

Usually loads of folks handing out Jelly Babies etc which is a real morale booster - the youngsters get really excited if you take the time to have something they're offering! Then again, it depends how super speedy you aim to run.  Bit worried that the clocks go back on Saturday night & I lose an hours daylight - may have to pack my headtorch!! image 

Many thanks to you all for being so inspirational when the training's got tough & the self-doubts creep in.

Safe journeys to all..& Good Luck!

• At the airport now...will be in dublin very soon. Getting really nervous now....fighting with the wife every two minutes. Once we get into hotel we can just relax and chill out. I know we only have 48 hours to go but wish it would go quicker...lol.

We have now arrived...lovely morning here...cool, clear and sunny. Heading to expo later...
  • That's the last training run done 5Km in 28:34, I will be starting behind the 4 Hour Pacers and taking it from there - Training plan has me at 3:50 but as I was 4:28 last year (with a lot of walking 14-19 Mles) beating 4:00 would be fandabidozee
  • Ill take that forecast Jim! image

Here in hotel 100 yards from the start line peeeeerfect! Not been this nervous b4 a marathon in a while as I've worked hard for this one! A little niggle in foot but fingers crossed its mostly in my head, we all get the marathon twitch at this stage.

Off to expo in a bit then breakfast run tomoz unless its trashing down.
  • Have been following this thread for a while, I'm running Dublin too and am starting to feel very nervous! Have just got over a chest infection and have done virtually no training for a few weeks so I'm apprehensive about meeting my target time but am looking forward to it none the less. Heading down to Dublin tomorrow and looking forward to the expo for a nosey.

Best of luck to everyone for Monday I hope it's an enjoyable one for you all image
  • Glad the ankle is Ok redjeep. Adrenaline will get you through on the day.i'm flying tomorrow lunchtime so this will likely be my last message before the race. Hope everyone has a great run and enjoys it whatever happens. Whatever time we get be it above or below our aims we shouldn't forget the achievement of just completing one of these things. I'm race number 1155 and will be in luminous yellow kit so say hi if you see me! Staying at the Jurys Inn Custom House and likely to be having some beers in the hotel bar afterwards!
  • As I live 40 Mile from Dublin I have not been myself but apparently this is where people go straight after the race www.mcgrattans.ie/  at 76 Fitzwilliam Lane, Baggot Street, Dublin 2 for a quick pint

http://www.mcgrattans.ie/img57.jpg

• Got to Dublin yesterday afternoon, went to the expo this morning. Getting very excited! My last marathon was the infamous Manchester one in April, so fingers crossed the conditions are ok tomorrow!

• Having a great time here in Dublin, did the breakfast run today which was great, as usual I am a magnet to stage people and got dragged up Irish dancing I front of hundreds of people, more I try to hide the more its always me! image

Anyway, ready to go now! Stuffed on Pizza Hut and ready to rumble image
  • I may pop up there Jim, my hotel is right by start so if I finish as planned ill shower and pop back, I got chief supporter duties and have to get to 25m to Cheer the Mrs on, she's hoping for a sub 5 as its her 1st.
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Good luck everyone. It looks like I spoke too soon when I said I'll be running. When I tried a test run today on my treadmill, my ankle was still giving me a lot of pain even when taped up and had a skinful of ibruprofen, so I won't be running tomorrow. I couldn't get above walking pace before it got painful in the actual joint.

I'm gutted.image My first marathon isn't going to happen, I've done all the training and there's no other marathon to book into at this time of the year. 

• Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon 2 Back Where is the race organized? Country      Ireland            Munster   CityClonakilty West Cork When is the race organized? Date        Saturday December  8, 2012
  • There's always another marathon somewhere Redjeep! Sorry to hear the news! image