Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Now that I'm happy with the  Google v abacus ....and have a couple of weeks to get -ready/fit....  This is a shout-out to anyone lurking +doing/thinking-about-doing Paris... Why not say hello and add your  number to the list? It's such a good idea....You may need to know where these are...

http://www.etravelblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/public-toilets-Paris.jpg

• Options

ATM - Your obsessed!!!image

5.8 miles D&D tonight!!  1.6 on my own and the rest with a friend. A nice comfotable hard run in the dark with some long hills.......but in the dark hills seem easy!!! image

Day off tomorrow........yipee........hoping to fit in a nice slow run but I will see how I feel, and I will plan my route so I can detour to parents, again, if I start to feel bad??image

• Options
    Haven't left the house all day

But did do long walks in The Lakes Friday & Saturday. And yesterday ran round Derwentwater (10 miles) before breakfast, so deserved a day off
  • Options

Okay...Lanzarote etc adventures:

Friday: 5km run (had to head home early because of cold), 500m swim and 20km bike (didn't go further as needed to keep a muzzle on half ironman (70.3 is the offical name) friends all tapered up).

Saturday: well...I was going to cycle up and see friends at the 20km point they went through twice on the bike...but it was really windy and friend's boyfriend had other ideas.  He needed a run for costal ultra training (ex-paratrooper with 10 hr 45 min ironman time whols just done the OMM ultra), so I joined him for a 28km round trip across the dirt/sand roads that were a shortcut to the town up the first hill.  Yup, hilly, yup, on sand and yup, I was the definite weak link.  i walked lots image am blaming the reminants of my cold though and think I've done something to my leg...hmmm...was fun though in a kinda mental way.  Both friends crossed the line  for the 70.3 and were VERY happy to see us on the course!  Got to cheer on heaps of others too.  Great experience!

Sunday: 55km cycle with a group from the resort.  Was the weak link again as I'm sooo not speedy on the bike and with the wind we had to keep together in a tight group which I hate doing so dropped off the back.  Did have a nice wee cycle home with the danish guide though.image  Then an easy 600m swim that evening to help the post-70.3 people ease up.

Monday: too windy so went sight-seeing all over the island.  Really interesting place for volcanic activity!

Tuesday: decided I should try out the lagoon so popped out for a lap of the course.  Was congratulated by all the wimps in wetsuits but it wasn't that cold.  Then pilates in the sun and another jaunt on the bikes.  Only 35ish kms though as people's post-70.3 legs weren't up to much more.

Wednesday: I was determined to get out on the hills on gabbana so we did most of the 70.3 cycle.  Yeah, it's tough being my mates after I haven't done the big eventimage 1200ms of climbing with a 10km hill.  FUN!  Then that night there were a few drinks.  Apparently we got back about 4amish. image

Thursday: back to london, quick unpack and packing again for Rome. Yeah, I lead a tough life.

Friday-sunday: bit of a blur really...there was some rugby in there I think and lots of 6.6% italian beer and wine and vaguely remember some cocktails. image

All in all lanzarote was brilliant!  Would throughly recommend it for an active holiday.

That enough of a holiday report for you DV?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah,Dave,,,You sound like just the man ( ? We're easy on this point...) to be ' parrain' ( Google..See? ) to the Thread  'Paris  2013 ' Tri-Team.

No need to leave house. We're  'Caledonia Spartans'...We'll do all the 'stuff'..( practical) You just have to provide endless 'support'.  ( mostly,'Of course,  you can swim/bike/run that far....'

What can go wrong...?

• Options

RS: you're a killer.  Paris is going to seem like the proverbial walk in the park for you.

I did a nice 5 mile recovery run today between hospital work and a meeting tonight. Somehow my brain thought that qualified me for 2 pastries.

• Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Iain - will go and fiddle with my private things - on Garmin Connect that is. image

TD - thanks for elaborating!

Dannirr - it did, that's what recovery runs are for...

RS - I like 'holidays' where you can chill... You seem to take a different approach.

• Options
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Iain - will go and fiddle with my private things - on Garmin Connect that is. image

TD - thanks for elaborating!

Dannirr - it did, that's what recovery runs are for...

RS - I like 'holidays' where you can chill... You seem to take a different approach.

Oh there was lots of chilling too.  they have a great wellness centre!

TD's been gone a long time...maybe fiddling isn't as easy as he thought.

Dannirr wrote (see)

RS: you're a killer.  Paris is going to seem like the proverbial walk in the park for you.

a killer or a wee bit silly.  Leg is in pretty bad shape and haven't been able to run since the 28km jaunt.  Saw a sport masseuse but he said muscles were fine image Running school on saturday is going to be interesting. image

• Options
    TD - sounds like the news, although not all good, isn't all bad either. Fingers crossed it's not getting any worse.

Haven't really started my training yet - hoping some of the Amsterdam fitness is still hanging around. I'm going up to the frozen north at the weekend so hoping to fit in a parkrun - that should be a good test of my fitness levels. Spoke to my mother on the phone - apparently there's been torrential rain all day and so many people have been hospitalised with the vomiting virus in Edinburgh they've had to reopen one of the old hospitals. Really looking forward to the weekend image .

ATM - I've been meaning to ask - what was the race that Fizz did?

James B - do they still have wild goats on the Great Orme? Did they join in?
  • Options

Running Rodent - And plenty of sheep. That 2.5 miles up the great orme was some test. But the thought of 2 miles downhill got me trhough it.

Tricky - the wife doesn't nag if I run as she prefers me to do that than go down the boozer! The bin lids are 8 and 10 so its easier. I would not have been allowed to do it if they were younger. I followed the ultimate sub 2 training schedule. So 5 runs a week, although if tired I would miss out one of the midweek runs. The difference I feel is the speedwork during the week. When I was posting my 2.05 to 2.08 times I didnt do any speedwork and just concentrated on distance. I now understand how important it is.

Felt rough today though - not sure that was from the run but the load of ale I had afterwards and a great big roast beef dinner.

Going to have a rest for a week. Then on to Paris Training. Although that officially starts on 18th December. But I do not want to lose what I have built up already.

• Options

RS - Sounds like you had a great time. It would be really interesting to do a bit of cycling around there. I did a recce of the UK 70.3 course at Wimble-something (it was down south near clotted cream country) a few years back. That bike course is a bit of a killer.

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Struggling to keep up with the thread as it's so busy!

ATM - my experience of those street toilets was not good! Waited about 20 mins for one one day as a guy had just gone in. Didn't realise how long he'd be & it then took ages for my turn by the time it had the clean cycle, my husband went, it cleaned again etc. The other time I was headed for one a guy came along and nipped in just ahead of me. It soon became apparent he wasn't going anywhere quickly either so I gave up!

On a more positive note, ran 1:48:17 for a half at the weekend. I was delighted! That's just a minute more than my PB which was set in 2008 during training for my first marathon. I had a sub 2 in mind and was ideally hoping for 1:55 or so. Really had to dig deep the last couple of miles & was so overwhelmed it took all I had not to burst into tears on crossing the line. I'll save that for the marathon!
  • Options
    Cold, dark and wet. Blowing a gale out there....
  • Options

Are you in Wales, DV? 

Clag - that's a great effort image

• Options
    Well done Clag. Where was it? Fraserburgh?
  • Options
    Scorchio for me DV @ 28 degrees.....although you wouldn't know it as the aircon is turning the office into a fridge
  • Options

Clag - Well done. You're obviously in better form than you thought.

• Options

Well done Clag.

BF really worried(so am I) about his elderly parents who stay in Comrie. Think he maybe going down to help them..........

Weather 'ok' here this morning, but that just means it isn't blowing a gale!!! 

28 degrees...........wouldn't llike that! Where are you SR??

• Options

Dannirr..   just going back to your recent runs..  10 + 18..   you will be fine at Goofy in January...   now, you just relax and plan the roller-coasters...

• Options

I now have 8 connections on Garmin Connect. If they ever upgrade and add some of the Strava funtionalities, this could get interesting. I have a feeling that we are at the beginning of the next new thing for runners...

The strange thing is that you can't really tell what people can/ can't see about you (by the way Dannirr, we can't see anything...). I discovered that there is a nice summary of your achievements/ PBs when I saw Stray Runner's profile - but it seems mine was turned off. Turned it on through the "achievements" options at the bottom of the settings page.

http://thumbsnap.com/i/6ldbYSno.jpg

Unfortunately it doesn't do a comparison vs other people like Strava does but I can see that SR has a lifetime mileage that is roughly double mine image Now I just need to get that Marathon time so start with a 2 image

DV: why I started running: my GF wanted to start, and I didn't like her going out in the dark on her own, so I joined her. We completed the "start to run" thing we were following and she stopped (then got pregnant), and I carried on.

• Options
    You have better pb's though neilBEimage sure you will get your mara 2 prefix based on those....

Bangalore this week kaz. Hyderabad last. Home on Thursday night image then I can run outdoors again
  • Options

The personal records thing's a bit iffy. My 10k PB is 44.49 from Nov 11, but my dashboard shows it as 45.20 from one I did in August, but it won't let me reassign.

In theory, if technology advances far enough, you could replace the virtual training partner on your watch with an actual person elsewhere in the country, so you both start a run at the same time and race each other, using the watches to keep track of the other's progress.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

@Stray Runner - that sounds like a hot few days!

@Clag - well done on the run! That's a fantastic time!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Well done, Clag. And tears are a must at the Paris Finish. You can go all 'foreign' and wail 'n' kiss people. * No tongues, though. No need to go completely mad..*

RR, Finn did a Double Marathon , in Dublin, in memory of a friend, an ultrarunner, who died last year at the end of a race. She was First Lady home and eighth overall

Eggy, HS and DLR, I've emailed you a wee present image.

l.

• Options

OK - I think I've fixed the profile thing - should be visible now 

DV - that's my plan - to do a 10 followed by a 18-22 the next day every weekend (plus about 30 miles during the week) in preperation for Goofy. I also plan on running, not racing, either day of the Goofy - it's just an "I've done that" kinda thing, and save my racing for Paris.

The Garmin Connections thing is pretty cool - it adds another dimension in learning about who we all are as we can now see where the runs are by changing the map view to satellite.

• Options
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

In theory, if technology advances far enough, you could replace the virtual training partner on your watch with an actual person elsewhere in the country, so you both start a run at the same time and race each other, using the watches to keep track of the other's progress.

Given the amount of social network connecting that happens (admittedly I don't like that - you get automated facebook statuses of "I'm out for a run, click like or comment and it'll cheer me on as I go") I'm surprised that no one has done this yet. It's more suited for a phone for now, I guess, but maybe in the future the watch thing will be a posibility. Great idea though.

My Garmin arrived today, got it on charge now, looking forward to giving it a go on a night run this evening.

• Options

Daddsy - if that's possible, you could create virtual running clubs and virtual races, where dozens of people start a run at the same time, with a countdown to set you off. It could factor in elevation to create handicaps if needed, buzz your watch when the winner finishes, then post the results online as they come in.

• Options

I could then maybe, have some running partners!!!

I had to cut my run shorter than planned in the interest of my own safety!image I had to change my planned route due to other 'issues', so I ended up running on the main Kirkwall/Stromness road(which by you lots standards is not that busy)...........lots and lots of lorries which neglected to give any room, nor slow down any when passing. I got more than a little freaked out so when I saw my dads car at one of his friends house I was very happy. 10 miles done thou. I have got Thursday off to so may attempt a longer one then.image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Crickey Kaz, that doesnt sound good image

I've come into work but am not feeling 110% so will head home shortly. I'm not sick - just tired... it's rather strange!

@RS- are you back to work and back in the swing of things? Your Lanza report is amazing!

How is everyone else doing?

• Options

Kaz - I think 10 miles is plenty for you just now. I'd kill to be able to do 10 minutes, never mind 10 miles these days

ATM - Thanks for the mail.