Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Away in T' Manger.. wrote (see)

Weedy, it has not rained convincinly since I got the rain jacket. I'm still wearing it in hope.

You may give it to me... it's been raining cats and dogs here lately

Weedy Kings of Orient Are wrote (see)

DLR - sounds bad

ATM - this is the latest breakthrough in waterproof running gear technology

/members/images/748808/Gallery/umbrella-hat.jpg

image I want one of those!

• Options
    Tinsel Decorations¹ wrote (see)
    ...I've got some tickets to see my first opera which I am really looking forward to.mcan anybody point me to an Opera Guide for Newbies where I can perhaps learn something about wht I'm going to see/hear? (La Traviata).

Best to brush up first.  The missus tried to get me into cultural pursuits many years ago and I attended one ballet and one opera and in return got her a season ticket for the rugby league.

We went to see 'Marriage of Figaro' and I knew nothing at all about it, either as an 'event' or the story, and as a result made three mistakes:

1.  In the opening number they appeared to be singing 'man over board' so I assumed from that and the set design in took place on a posh cruise liner.  It later transpired that they were singing 'our noble lord' and it took place on dry land many years before the birth of the steam powered liner...

2. At the end I said to the missus that they hadn't done that 'Figaro, Figaro, Fig-a-roooo' bit and a posh woman in front turned round and said that 'that is a popular misconception amongst lay people', as that song was from The Barber of Seville.

3. The audience nearby got a bit sniffy when I opened my flask of tea at half time.  They don't like it called half time either.  Or eating your crisps and sandwiches during the second half.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Nah, nah, TD. It'll all be obvious.The brothel will look like a brothel...Don't wiki it or you'll spoil the end..* Hint* Nobody lives happily- ever -after in these things.Thank goodness. 'much prefer the stage to be littered with corpses ..

The flask is a brilliant idea, though.

Weedy, I want it in black. For nights at the opera.

• Options

TD - Opera, brave man. I'll openly admit I like the theatre, but I'm not one for opera. A good play or even musicals with a touch of humour to them like The Producers, Spamalot, Book of Mormon etc. It's fair to say the cultured style of opera or ballet are well beyond me.

• Options
    I think the storyline from Baz Lurman's Moulin Rouge was borrowed from this opera (& an earlier book?). So the artisan who is the only one capable of genuine love dies a tragic death. Hope to be sobbing my heart out by the endimage

Good turbo session this afternoon. Got a cracking sweat going. Now for some turkey and a movie!
  • Options
    DLR - you're not fooling anyone. I just heard Eric Pickles on Desert Island Discs, and he chose, amongst other things, Tosca. They teach you about opera in primary school in Yorkshire, don't they?

ATM - you've reminded me of my favourite Morningside ladies story (Morningside is a very genteel suburb of Edinburgh). In the days when films were silent and had subtitles, a Rudolph Valentino-style offering was showing in a picture house in Edinburgh. When the caption came up 'Midnight at a brothel in Alexandria'

a very posh voice was heard to say 'Och Agnes, that's nonsense. It's NOTHING LIKE a brothel in Alexandria' image . Maybe it works better when you can hear the accent...

I was feeling quite pleased with myself in the gym, mincing along at 13kph and not dying, when I noticed the woman next to me was doing 19.2. I didn't even know it went that fast image .
  • Options
    Tinsel Decorations¹ wrote (see)
    MMaus. Tut tut. Don't say unpleasant things about yourself. Your body is part of you, not something detached that you can slag off! I've met you in person and thought you were lovely. What you see and what others see are not the same. And anyway, you are a marathon finisher, so there's definitely something awesome about you image

MM - seconded.

• Options
    Merry belated Christmas. I was very brave and managed to do few runs in that beautiful Polish weather (-17C) but when it dropped down to -23 i gave up.

I was going to have a nice birthday run today but it's rainning like hell, so no chance.

"Born to run" is a very dangerous book. McDougall writes about ultraruns as they were walks in a park. They just seem so easy and pleasant and so much fun. But it's very motivating.
  • Options

Happy birthday Wiol image -23 sounds a bit chilly. Okay, who's had the coldest and hottest runs here? Peter must stand a chance of winning with the hottest one.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Wiol, and upcoming one for TD. I'll also turn 50 on 3rd Jan. Off to the Lakes tomorrow for some hillwork sessions- back in a week or so, take care folks.  

• Options
    Weedy I'll kick off the hottest and coldest runs topic ,only been running for a year and a half so far , so nothing too drastic

, coldest was last year in Scotland had a few runs minus six or eight degrees ,

and hottest was this summer July in xabia when i went for a three mile jog at eight in the morning ( when it was cool ish ) then got lost and ended up running 10 miles or so in rising temp and blazing sun , 27 or 28 degrees
  • Options
    I tried doing intervals here in Belgium in 36C which was uber tough and I think the lowest running temps were -14 C whereupon I had body parts starting to freeze together, like nostrils and eyelids. Running in strong winds is maybe the hardest thing of all, like you can turn a corner and literally stop forward movement. Ok, time for some beauty sleep.
  • Options

My hottest was around 32 degrees here in Atlanta

My windiest was in Cape Town, South Africa - running along the coast doing my best Marcel Marceau impression.

• Options

Nothing to hot to run ever here or to cold really, its just the wind thats tough. Like TD said, when your running but there is no forward movement!

X training and core work done.image

• Options
    TD and IM: you are both lovely. I'm not in a good spot body image wise at the moment. Some medication made me put on a few kilos and I feel like a horrible lump. Hardly any of my clothes fit. I've stopped the meds, but I can't seem to get control of weight fluctuations. I can't blame medication entirely. There's been a hefty dose of Christmas cheer involved, but nonetheless, I'd still like to feel more in control.

Kaz: everything is up in the air at the moment. We've started dismantling our lives here, but it's a looooong road ahead. And I don't have confirmation of my appointment yet (jeepers, I hope all that paperwork is a mere formality). I'm aiming to start there on 28 Jan. Eek!

I think my hottest run was a lunchtime one at 36 degrees. I was veeeerrrry slow.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Now would not be a good time to mention the temperature in Paris for the 2007 mara'...image

But it's usually OK. * Unless you're Scottish and melt beyond  11 degrees anyway...*

MM, 'have bro-in-law on Mann.He likes it. Good luck with the move.

• Options
    MM - good luck with the move. I relocated almost 2 years ago (I didn't move as far as you, but I still had to sort everything out in a very short space of time) and it was the best thing I ever did. You'll have a hectic few months, but I'm sure you'll be fine. And you'll be nearer to most of us image . Or nearer to Paris, anyway image .

Coldest run - I've done a few in the Braemar area down to about -12, but hottest must have been Glen Affric (north west Scotland) in that freak May week this year when the temperatures were up to 29 degrees. Given the weather for the rest of the year, looking back, that was quite bizarre.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I was feeling quite smug, as I'd avoided the dreaded lurgy that ssems to be doing the rounds - I put it down to my fitness from my constant running image

Then picked up an injury, which reduced my running. End result, lurgy has caught up with me and I've been possessed by a snot demon image

I'm manning it out though.

Hottest run was about 32 degrees in Cairns in October - I was melting and the locals were just taking it in their strides. Coldest? Not very cold in comparisson, barely sub zero.

Forcing myself not to run at the moment to try to allow my calf to heal - and its driving me nuts image

Anyone got any soup to spare image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Weedy - My hottest run was this year for the Marathon du Medoc. 36'c was recorded at several parts of the course and I heard it was even hotter in the tents (and let's admit it... I spent most of my time there image). It was really hard for me to get used to it so quickly - I arrived the day before the race from Belgium and it was 11'c there... I step out of the car in Bordeaux and it's like being thrown into a frying pan.

My coldest was -17 in Cologne a few winters ago. It wasn't so much the cold that got to me but the windchill. I don't mind the cold so much as the ice. I hate ice

@MM - good luck with the move. Up until 18 months ago I was moving every year so got used to feeling a little bit like a nomad! I've heard great things about the IOM marathon btw... image

@OO - Have fun in the lake district

@ATM - I hear that we're going to get an average of 45mm of rain before the end of the year - it looks like your jacket might come in for some use!

It's Friday! image What is everyone planning this weekend?

• Options
    Thanks for all the good wishes! There are so many things I'm excited about and being able to run Paris is at the top of the list - and,if I'm honest, being able to see all you folks! I'm just a bit overwhedismantling now. We're dismantling 2 households, I'll be Mr Maus-less for 12 mths, it's not an ongoing contract, this is costing us a fortune....blah, blah,blah.

So, Emmy: packing for me and maybe some golf tomorrow. Definitely a run!
  • Options

I remember Paris 2007 too..  the 'hot one'..

Hottest run for me was when on tour with TMB in Rio De Janeiro many years ago..  that got to 36c and I ran the length of Ipanama beach and Copacabana beach in a loop that was probably about 15-20 miles.   I am expecting Badwater to make this seem like a chilly day.

Coldest run in April 2011 in Helsinki at -20c.  I ran in shorts.   It was fine.  No wind that day, otherwise i would have wore leggings.

Most polluted run was also another tour with TMB when we were in Sau Paulo, Brazil.   Just walking out of the hotel was enough to be able to taste the pollution.  The air quality was appalling.  

Most beautiful run..   too many to mention..  we live in a beautiful world, once you can get away from the traffic and urban areas.

Muddiest run..  an ultra I did out of Arundel.  I can't remember the name but it wasn't so much a run as a mud bath.  Dreadful conditions.  The race should have been cancelled.  35 miles of liquid mud.  Totally lost my sense of humour on that one.....

• Options

Maus..  good for you..  it's the start of an adventure...  image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@TD/Neil - I found this race through a running group that I sometimes join in Brussels. The site's only in dutch (the english hasnt been updated yet) but it's a nice 10miler early March. It's a nice race for testing speed before Paris and also a gentle race if you're looking for it. Dependent upon the advice from Coach FF - I'll probably be there

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Anyone else up for joining the Jantastic challenge? I can't even find our team, The Bench, on the site...here

Has anyone else registered and, if so, can you see the Bench anywhere?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I can't see the bench anywhere in Jantastic

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've found it Emmy...but there's only me in it image You need a minimum of 6. Anyone else interested? I think it would help motivate me to do the miles in January...I'm not sure if I'd make it thro' February and March. 5 other 'basic' miles types?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm already in Team Enigma but I could be persuaded to leave if there were others on the thread doing it?

• Options
    What does it entail?
  • Options

Hmmmm. Something funny going on ATM. I joined The Bench team the day you suggested it initially, but it tells me I'm the only one in it.

Someone must have set the team name up as it was already there when I signed up.

I'll post a message on the team message board and see if you can see it. Hold the line please.

Danni (and everyone who's equally baffled) - it's done by the Marathon Talk podcast. You sign up and put down how many runs you're going to do each week. I've put down four for example, but you can have as many or as few as you like. Each week you record how many actual runs you did, so if I only do three runs the first week, my score's 75 per cent, two runs and it's 50 per cent. All the team members scores are added together. For February you do the same but you also say how far your longest run each week is going to be. March I think (someone correct me if i'm wrong) you estimate your pace for a tempo run, and have points docked for how wrong you get it either side. You can do it individually or as a team. Minimum six people to form a team, but there's no maximum. Biggest team so far has 34 members. There's a few prizes being given out, but it's mainly just about motivating yourself to get out and run.

• Options

I'm back after a reasonably relaxed Christmas with parents, husband, brother and sister in law.

Just back from the Osteopath again and I think we may have found the root cause of the problem - he trigger pointed my psoas on the right side and I went through the roof.  Very relieved that we may have finally found the problem as it keeps tightening up again which is becoming very frustrating.

So...I need to strengthen it up - I've had a google and found some exercises but have any of you ever specifically done this and do you have any recommendations?

Good to see folk shuffling off the end of the injury bench again image