Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Just did a windy coastal 9 mile run in Falmouth, Cornwall, so blustery a little scary at times up on the high narrow paths. Pace 8.14 min/mile. Bit of a hilly mo fo!

Extreme running conditions? Not that impressive but here u go. Silverstone half marathon years ago about beginning of March, really icy cold and I underestimated the temperature so I was just in a dri fit t,shirt and shorts. Not helped by the icy blowy wind blowing in my face and body for the whole race. Had to be thawed out afterwards and my jaws, ears were aching. Hot race, Gnr 2005, the one where 4 people collapsed and died. Temp was about 26/late 70s. Yet again me (plus 50,000 others) underestimated the weather. Everyone got burnt. I went off too quick and ran/walked the rest of the race from about 5 miles in. Finish time 2.33
  • Options
    Took advantage of a balmy 10 degrees today to put in a LSR - 27k @ 5:30 pace.

Extreme conditions? I try to avoid running in temperatures outwith 0-20 degrees. And i hate running in the wind. No problem with rain or snow.

Berlin 2011 was pretty warm - hopefully Paris will be a bit cooler.
  • Options

Good going there Jimbob. Can't help with psoas info Yer Maj, but good you've identified the problem.

Speaking of Marathon Talk, I've been listening to this week's episode with Jez Bragg. For anyone who hasn't heard, he's running across New Zealand along the Te Araroa trail. It's 3,000 plus kilometres and he's aiming to do it in 50 days. He's on day 17 today.

He's doing a daily blog here for anyone who's interested in following him. It's an inspiring read.

On the subject of running blog recommendations, Anna Frost has a great one here with some fantastic pictures.

Public service announcement now follows... The Daily Mirror does a ballot for entries into the Great North Run. 3,000 places. Information on how to enter's going in the paper from Jan 1 to 4, with the ballot closing at midnight on Jan 4. If you don't get a place through the ballot, you're automatically entered into the main ballot. I've got an email about it - message me if you want it forwarding, but it doesn't really have much more info.

Right, I'll stop waffling and prevaricating and get on with doing the dishes.

• Options
    Lovely running S-Mac. 27km / 17miles = schlep!

C'mon lets get a few more of you in the GNR next year and have a get together. I've been doing it for so many years but always on my own. Would love to have a bit of a jolly afterwards with some of ya! (Involving alcohol and a tasty hot meal)
  • Options

Confession - I only intended doing 13 miles. But it was a new route. And I made a slight navigational cock up....

• Options

My brother sent me this as a New Year gift.  I guess it's official then.

/members/images/698298/Gallery/IMG_2507.jpg

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Evening, all..

Dan, has your bro' entered you? Is it definitely ' on', for you? It sounds so exciting, I'm tempted..but, fortunately, know it's just madness...I'll be following you all the way on the GPS thingy, though.

• Options

ATM: he's not entered me - just sent me the training book. I'm looking at 2014. Madness is good image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Arise Sir Wiggo!

Looks like I'll have to wait until next year, again.
  • Options
    Ooooh Dannirr...that looks exciting.

I'm starting to think tentatively about some longer runs this summer - the Ladybower 35 in September looks like it might be interesting (there are 20, 35 and 50 mile options). The main attraction is the the route goes round the Ladybower and Derwent reservoirs, so unless you actually fall in the water, navigation must be relatively straightforward (Simon, I don't think you and I should ever be allowed out on a run together - who knows where we might end up). ??Anyone know this one, or the general area?

I turned down the Damehood again this year. It's Baroness or nothing.
  • Options
    Lovely and perfectly respectable 9.5km for me tonight, with a couple of hills for good measure. I am definitely getting faster (a relative concept, people). Average of 6.36m/km and max of 5.33.

Yer Maj: didn't KO'S and DLR have trouble with psoas last year before Paris? I think KO'S had good results with dry needling.
  • Options
    Sir Bradley...

Frankly I'm most interested in seeing the suit he wears to Buckingham Palace...
  • Options

How's everyone in the flu ward today?

Danni - you'll have to let us know what book's like and if it's worth getting a copy.

ATM - can you see the note i posted on the team message board?

• Options
    YM: my sentiments exactly.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Weedy, I can see the message. I can also see The Bench .It has only one Member and I think that's me. Anyone else for Jantastic?

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Coldest race, well not a race but a run up Skiddaw New Years Day 2009- very chilly on top at 9am. Hottest race London Marathon 2007. I've run in hotter but not over such a long distance.

The Lakes are very wet but nice and mild- 12 miler round Derwentwater this morning.image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,just managed 12 miles. Not exactly a 'nice' run as the wind was blowing a gale but at least it didn't rain! A few aches but happy with that so far!.... Although I have just taken a painkiller for a headache that I started on the run :/ ..... We'll ignore that, shall we?

@RR - they STILL haven't given you a baroness? I mean... What is this world coming to?

@ATM - let me try and steal a proper computer and I'll join you guys on the bench

@Yer-maj - I think.... I might have some stretches from an old RW magazine. A just doing a spring clean of all of them so will go through and scan anything over to you.
  • Options
    I'll be doing round Derwentwater next weekend, one of our favourite training runs. And the Derwentwater 10 miles has to be my fave race
  • Options

I have today been dismantling and attempting to remove my dreadmill from the cellar.  Holy freaking moly..  how heavy are those things..?   I never saw it installed as I was out that day, but the guys must have worked really hard to get it down there...  it took me about three hours to get it out in pieces...   I'm going to take it to the metal recycling place and get a few quid for the metal salvage...

I won't be buying another one.....

• Options

Dear Yer Maj (not that one, the other one)

I'd like to have a quiet word about the new year honours if that's okay...

You've made Alistair Brownlee an MBE for winning Olympic gold. Well deserved, no doubt, and I'm delighted for him, but there's nothing for Jonathan, who's world champion. If you ask me, I'd say winning a world title across a series of races is more of an achievement than winning the Olympic gold.

Please throw whichever flunkey came up with the honours list into the pit full of corgis.

Regards, WG

PS - Baronesshood for RR as well please.

• Options

ATM - I can see your reply on the message board but my computer says I'm the only member of the team. Baffled. I've tried setting up a new team but can't find where you do it.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

No, I am Spartacus, Weedy!

Dear Lady RR * Correct form of address, apparently..see Debrett's * Can you help us make up a Jantastic Team? Err...and sort out the paperwork?

• Options

HELP.............I have the bloody sick bug. I spent all night lying in the bathroom spewing and freezing cold.....even phoned boyfriend for help, needless to say I was still in there hours later. I have now., finally stopped being sick but think I must have pulled a muscle in my side. I can't move without screaming in pain.image

BF - ain't amused as we were supposed to be going to a 40th birthday party tonight. I am happy to miss it cos I can't stand the person anyway!!image

• Options

Bloody hell kaz, you've had one hell of a year. I think a night resting with Mr kaz looking after you should be on the cards tonight.

I think you and TD really deserve a fully fit and healthy 2013 more than most.

• Options

Eggy -Its a hell of a way to start the diet!!!image Think BF is away to the party? But youngest has her nurses uniform on again, eldest been at work them came home made tea for her sister and did washing? Well trained childrenimage

• Options

Poor you Kaz - it's brutal but it does pass quickly.  Tell the girls that bleach is their friend...

As for you, rest.  It's a virus and it takes it out of you for a few days.

• Options

glad to see everyone's been getting out there. i've got 8 miles on the cards for tomorrow! which means christmas pud for dessert this evening- i've got 8 miles to fuel! 

i'd be up for joining jantastic, that sounds like a good way to keep up the motivation. how do i sign up? 

kaz- sorry to see you're not well, make sure you rest up (the impression i've gotten from lurking is that you're not usually inclined to do so.. but it's the best thing) 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Dave the ex Sparten, I did the Derwentwater 10 this year, it was indeed a great race & one of my favourites too. Also try the Buttermere Round in Feb (nice marathon training) and the Keswick Half M, usually a couple of weeks after the London Marathon. As you se I like running in the Lakes.image

• Options

Well, I'll never beat the Brownlees in a tri, but after watching Superstars I'm reasonably confident I could beat both of them in the javelin. When I was 14 image.

List fairy - I've signed up for the Ladybower 35 (is it just me who thinks that sounds like a coy euphemism image?) on 22nd September. Sadly it's not round Derwentwater though, which is a pity because I know that's lovely, but round the Ladybower and Derwent reservoirs in the Peak District. And it starts at 7:45 image .

ATM - I think I've signed up for jantastic, but I can't work out how to fill in my target or see anyone else's details - Marathon Talk is all a bit alien to me. I'll try and sort out what's going on before the 1st. 

Kaz - hang on in there. Next year is going to be better. Yes it is. 

Out of curiosity, did anyone who's had the flu (the crawl-into-bed-shivering one, not the norovirus vomming one) have the flu jab? Or does it actually work?