Comments

• Options

My eyes!!!!

ATM - I'm all signed up....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

That's the coolest flag...* Baroness,St. George? *

OK...Emmy....

http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/siteupload/2012/10/uncle-sam-needs-you.jpg

Any/every one else, too.

• Options
    TD - happy birthday for tomorrow (unless I've missed your point?)

We've all been out doing last-of-year plods today it seems. Did 10miler with my sis this morning and had to keep slowing her down... When's that happen?!

Happy New Year to all and great running.

Iain.
  • Options

I've signed up for The Bench, but not sure I'll do much for racking up the mileage. All running is recovery dependant.

I'm planning my last run of the year with a steady 11 miles tomorrow. Planning on some New Years day miles too.

• Options
    That's 6 of us in the Bench now (the team, not the status, and long may that continue) so we're now good to go image .

TD - er, not quite sure about fab, but I think the answer to your question is it's all about mileage. Until I did Venice last year I hadn't really ever done a marathon with an adequate amount of mileage under my belt, I was just kidding myself with relatively low mileage plans. This has been made easier by the fact that since relocating most of the friends I've made I've met through running, so my social life tends to revolve around activity. Also I walk everywhere or use public transport, which I think helps to keep the general fitness levels up. And I've been lucky enough to have a relatively long stretch without being injured (for which I'm grateful every single time I go out). And finally, if this doesn't sound too cheesy, I found the Olympics and Paralympics genuinely inspiring (and, in a slightly less visible way, all you lot too image ) which helped in Amsterdam.

I can recommend being the youngest in your age category too - it helps tremendously with the placingsimage .
  • Options

Hurrah, we've got a team. First team I've been part of since a certain debacle with the rowing club's senior men's squad.

There's no maximum number of members in a team, so anyone else who fancies it can still join in. The more the merrier I'd say.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RS - Mrs O even calls that picture her Yoda picture. That's what she gets for being married to a geek image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yeah! I don't think I've been in a team since my ( very, very) late,unlamented, Netball Sixth Vll...

More members, definitely welcome..

Eggy, there's no ' distance' pressure in January. Getting out there is the thing.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Those graphs are not pretty TD. Sorry to all those on the bench and hope 2013 brings better fortunes. Not in such great shape myself but still managing to keep it going. Enjoying a nice few days in the Lakes. Take care all.

• Options
    My unscheduled 17 miler has taken it's toll and I'm full of the sniffles. A good excuse to break open the 12 year old Glen Morangie.
  • Options
    That's me on the bench !!!!

The jantastic group that is , not the injury bench
  • Options
    Happy birthday TD image
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Happy wotsits Tricky image

• Options

Penblwydd Hapus TD, have a lovely day image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Gelukkige Verjaardag TD! image Hope you have a great day!

Away in T' Manger.. wrote (see)

That's the coolest flag...* Baroness,St. George? *

OK...Emmy....

http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/siteupload/2012/10/uncle-sam-needs-you.jpg

Any/every one else, too.

I am on The Bench... and i'm trying to work out
    A) who everyone is
    B) who should I 'rival'

Back to 'proper' work today and it's dead in the office. No-one's here!

• Options

Happy Birthday TD  image    

To our esteemed Majesties and Baronesses, those with Northern dialects, those from far, far away lands beyond Croydon, those upside down, those who drive on the wrong side of the road, those currently on the injury bench and anyone who has a pulse I wish you the very best for 2013.  I think it's going to be a good one  image

• Options

Today I am mainly getting a new boiler fitted.  And my sister in law is coming to stay....the one who checks the skirting boards for dust and only eats organic food....

• Options

Happy birthday TD.

And good luck tomorrow for Holeymoley (anyone heard from her by the way?) Ward, Iain and RR.

And happy new year everyone.

Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 1: Box Hill Knacker Cracker 10k - Holeymoley. Hereford 10k - Ward. Resolution Run 10k - Iain M. Serpentine 10k - RR.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 5: Edinburgh Great Winter Run - Iain M.
    Jan 5/6: Enigma Double - Emmy.
    Jan 12: Nato Run-Bike - TD.
    Jan 13: Disney Marathon - Dannirr.
    Jan 20: Four Villages Half - Dave The Ex Spartan, Orbutt.
    Feb 10: Exeter Half - Trevor O. Liversedge Half - SR.
    Feb 17: Bramley 20 - Holeymoley, Tiddy. Brighton Half - Iain M. Nice 10m - Straycelt. Wrexham Half - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Feb 20: Blackpool Half - Orbutt.
    Feb 23: Standish Hall Trail Race - DLR.
    Feb 24: Malta Marathon - Emmy.
    Mar 3: Haweswater Half - SR. Hogweed Hill Half - Straycelt. Paris Half - ATM. Silverstone Half - Jimbob. St David's Day 10k - Yer Maj. Surrey Spitfire 20 - Tiddy.
    Mar 16: Eco Trail de Paris - Emmy, RR.
    Mar 17: Inverness Half - Kaz. Liverpool Half - Orbutt. Reading Half - Jimbob.
    Mar 18: St Anne's 10-miler - DLR.
    Mar 23: Coniston 14 - Iain M. Thames Path Ultra - DV.
    Mar 24: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Forest of Dean Half - Ward. Harewood House 10k - DLR. Hastings Half - Tiddy. Lexington Half - Straycelt.
    Mar 25: Warsaw Half - Wiol.
    Mar 30: Dallas Half - Straycelt.
    Apr: London-Paris-London: DV.
    Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Waring, Norville, Amy, Sidney, Buzz, Smitty.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Straycelt.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Emmy, Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 23: Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 8: Paris Tri - RR.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, Tiddy..
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's next birthday.

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

A) who everyone is
    B) who should I 'rival'

Yay Emmy and Walker
    I'm the one without the tattoos, and the one who doesn't like high-pitched noises.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Deck yer_maj with boughs of holly wrote (see)

Today I am mainly getting a new boiler fitted.  And my sister in law is coming to stay....the one who checks the skirting boards for dust and only eats organic food....

Ooh.. good luck with that. I think i'd end up with a few harsh words if she were my SIL.

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    Emmy H wrote (see)

A) who everyone is
    B) who should I 'rival'

Yay Emmy and Walker
    I'm the one without the tattoos, and the one who doesn't like high-pitched noises.

Hmm... goes off to Marathontalk stalk.

• Options

Thanks everyone. The great news about becoming 45 today is that I get to become the youngest in the next age class for competition - Veterans 2 - outside chance of some medals in 2013? Not sure if it will be running or on a bike, but am going to go for it!  Wishing you all a fabulous New year. Dream big and dare to do it. We're all going to die sooner or later, so live plenty before your ticket comes up.

Love and run and laugh and do good in 2013, no matter what your circumstances image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I may not have time to get online later so wanted to take the time to wish everyone a wonderful New Year. I hope that you can see in 2013 free of injuries and illness.

RR: Are you still planning on ecotrail? Are you doing 30km? I'm going to register today but need to force myself to decide on the distance!

• Options
    Happy birthday TD.

Still full of the cold and feeling sorry for myself. I'm going to dust off the P&D and put together a 12 week plan that I think is both realistic and 'adequate'. 3:30 is still the target, but it's a huge challenge to knock 6 minutes off my Amsterdam time.

Looking back at 2012 my mileage was a very modest 840, up 5% on 2011. Running frequency was down 24% though at a pitiful 2.2 runs per week. Cross training for triathlon meant running took bit of a back seat. Didn't do any harm as I notched up a lot of PB's. So more of the same in 2013.

Does anyone else want to share their 2012 stats. I am sure you will all put me to shame!
  • Options

1969 kms for me this year - 31km off target but that's with 6 weeks of injury in total.  I've achieved more than I would have ever thought was possible at the beginning of the year and I'm proud of myself for that.  First marathon, a 5k 10k and HM pb....including a (barely) sub 2 Half. 

Happy New Year my lovely running friends - you all make me smile every day and keep me going when it gets tough - for that I say Diolch yn Fawr

• Options

Looks like I finished the year just under 1500 miles, but just over 1300 of those were in the first half of the year...

Flu still hasn't shifted - though I did get as far as getting dressed yesterday and today (progress) so, Simon, I'll be joini ng you on the 12 week plan I think.  As to what my target is heaven knows!

• Options
    Awoke today to a nice coating of snow, which outlines the adobe walls of the house and makes things look very pretty. Last run of the year yesterday brought the total for the year to 1511 miles.

Happy New Year everyone. You've all helped make 2012 a very fun year and I look forward to actually seeng many of you agin, in person, in 2013.
  • Options

My total was 1311 miles for the year, but would have been higher if not for losing pretty much all of the last three months of the year to injury. I did set mew PB's at 10km, half marathon and marathon this year, so a good years running for me. Plus after what seemed like an eternity of trying I finally broke into the sub 4 marathon club.

Goals for next year. Get to the start line of Paris and London fit. I think I've already accepted the fact I'm not going to be in any sort of condition to put in good times for them.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

2016k for me. At my speed, that must have taken a long time... More miles in 2013? I will, if you will, yer_maj...Let's chase DLR.

Happy New Year, when it comes, to everyone gadding off somewhere. I hope all the sick/injured feel better by the morning and those on form don't feel too bad, then, either. image Chez ATM, we're pulling up the drawbridge.

• Options
    Having entered 2013 (I'm yet to get over my superstition about the number 13) a little head of you I can see great things: bright, clear, blue skies for running, fast courses, hill gradients diminished, fine wine, good food and laughs abound.

I can also report that 2 pieces of cheesecake and 3 pieces of pan forte for dessert made me feel as sick in 2013 as they would have in 2012...

And first prize in the "Strangest things I've seen running" category goes to my last run of the year, and the man I caught napping on a high school running pitch, as his goat and wire-haired terrier (think Montmorency from '3 Men in a Boat') ate leaves from the trees. Yes, you read right, his goat. At least t distracted me from the 34 degree heat (at 5.30pm, ugh).

As the Germans would say, 'guten Rutsch!'. To each and every one of you - thank you all for being the utterly fabulous beings that you are and I look forward to seeing you all in Paris.