Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

A gorgeous day here, no wind,  dry but  very cold with lots of icy patches.

8 miles of walking done with a couple of 0.5miles jogs. All felt ok,  but a bit tender now.image Not be trying any more for a few days.

TJB - I fancy triathlons too but I am even worse at swimming than I am at running and cycling so no much chance!!

• Options
    I start triathlons when I couldn't swim a length properly. No excuse

Managed a gentle bimble today
  • Options
    I have persevered with the swimming and, at last, it is starting to come together. Did 1500 metres front crawl last night and for the first time,I had no cramp.

Looking forward to a few triathlons this summer. Paris first though..
  • Options

Hey folks. Sorry, been busy. The hassle of holding down a paid job huh?image

Short sharp weights session at lunchtime, just to help with leg strength. I'm getting close to being able to do single leg squats again, without looking like an old dodderer whose dropped his buspass but can't reach it.

Apologies to those interested in "In The Long Run". Just got to check one sentence for approval before I can send out the 'brochure'. But I can reveal that the route will go from Bratislava to vienna, to Prague, a long trek across Germany to Frankfurt then Cologne, a quick bit of flat Netherlands, then through Leuven (one of the oldest university cities in Europe), then concluding in Brussels. 1,250kms. Minimum requirement is to run 10kms a day.

If I'm feeling dandy tmrw, might try another intervals sesh on the treadie. Ooh, it's exciting being able to feel like a runner again. Hugs n' kisses everyone image

Emmy - we're all still here! Well done on persevering Simon. Did Coach Eggy's swimming tips help?

• Options
    TD - Eggy taught me what bilateral breathing is. And I can do it! Except when I try to swim fast. Then I have to breath every stroke....Actually starting to enjoy it, which is not what I expected. Roll on Spring so I can start trying to improve my cycling.
  • Options
    Michael Phelps can't bilateral breathe
  • Options
    Now I feel very smug.
  • Options
    He's still quicker than you tho ( and me !)
  • Options
    His feet are twice the size of mine . They are like flippers.
  • Options

Weedy - amazing havent seen that before, very inspiring. He must have lost about 30-40kg!  I hope he gets a chance to run Boston. My friend's little girl has cystic fibrosis - nasty stuff. One can't help but get a little emotional at that video.

Happy friday everyone - going to have a little recovery run today after the hard session yesterday. Hooray! the ice is going to melt this weekend and i'm planning a long SLOW run on Sunday morning with my friend Dan who is also doing Paris with us - he's so bull-ish with his training i'm gonna need to spike him with some valium to slow 'im down!  

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I got my medical certificate signed off yesterday so no more excuses! Was only in there a couple minutes and happily he didnt try and charge me, instead wishing me good luck.

Quick query - I was originally aiming for sub 4 hours having never run a marathon before and just wanting to set my self a hard but what I thought realistic target. The training seems to be going really well so far and in a couple of weeks I'm hoping to knock a good 7-10minutes off my half pb of 1:52. Am I being silly to even consider changing pens to a quicker time? Maybe the 3:45? If it helps here is a link to my garmin data http://connect.garmin.com/profile/tro127  

• Options

Another top cover Weedy. Look at those fab flexy quadriceps Dannirr! image

I've had a look at your running data Trevor but the key factor missing is your HR data. I can't tell on your long runs what sort of energy burn you are using (effort level) to sustain your pace around 8:30min miling.  Running is relatively easy to do when you are burning blod sugar. The trouble with a marathon, is you pretty much are forced to switch from this as the main energy supply to also using body fat.

This is the point where running becomes painful and slower.  I can't predict from your data how quickly you will switch to 'slower fuel'.  I am sure you can run sub4 and I think with the wave start system, congestion is not a big issue in Paris.  With still a long way to go in training, you'll keep getting better. So if you fear getting stuck, then why not move forward one pen if permitted?

And try wearing a HR monitor. It's very useful information to have.

• Options

Hello l long lost running buddies. I came across this offer today. I have done a few of them in other destinations myself. MIght be useful to those heading over again ...

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/getaways/Hotel-Auteuil-Tour-Eiffel/16574083?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_25&a=2524

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

TD - Thanks for your input, really appreciated. Being new to running any sort of significant distance I hadnt considered how wearing the HR monitor can help shape training and just thought it would be uncomfortable especially on a long run. How do other people feel about wearing them? Do you even notice once you get use to it? 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Trevor I wear mine for every run I do, I don't even notice it's there.  And as Tricky says, it's a very useful gadget

Hello Finn....are you real?  Or a mirage??? image

• Options

Hi all,

Great cover, once again, Weedy!!!image

Just in from a mega ' blow the cobwebs away' walk!! 6miles in strong headwinds with my pooch. Did a some strength training this morning too(KOC!!), all goodimage

When I return to running(hopefully in 2 weeks) I will certainly be using my HRM again. It'll maybe save me the burnout after 1 mile!!!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Trevor - I'm not sure what pen you are in, but I ran a 3:48 last year in Paris from the sub 4 pen and for an event of it's size and number of runners not once did I get boxed in or find myself unable to run at my own pace. Unlike the two other big city races I've done in Berlin and Chicago where I found the opening few miles slow due to the volume of runners meaning I was unable to run at my own pace in the opening stretch of those races.

Unlike this year where my training so far has been a train wreck last year I really hit good form training for Paris. My half PB going to Paris was 1:48, but later in the year I dropped that to 1:43. I went through the mid-point in Paris in 1:51.

I'd see how you do in your half and just as importantly how you feel in the final couple of LSRs you do. From my experience last year I wouldn't be overly concerned about crowding on the course.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Kaz - Thats one lucky pooch! I have done a few runs with my Patterdale but she gets fed up after about 3-4 miles, guess its the little legs!

Thats decided then, HRM will have to have an outing. Must remember to take it off before I go bed though image

• Options

Trevor - I don't wear an HRM, altho I maybe should. I only really use it to check resting heart rate. The times I have worn one while running, I haven't noticed it.

Regarding changing pens, I find it's quite a mental boost to overtake people, and where I can, I target someone about 10/20 metres ahead and try to catch up with them, then do the same with someone else, then someone else, all the way through. Conversely, if I'm being overtaken, I find it demoralising. If you stay in the pen you're in and are slightly quicker than people around you, you'll overtake more people, which is fairly easy on 90 per cent of the course. If you're in a faster pen, you'll overtake fewer people.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info Eggy, I'm hoping to do a 1:45 or quicker half so your results give me a lot of confidence for Paris.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Weedy - From the races I have done so far I have to agree that overtaking people is a mental boost and if there really isnt too much congestion in Paris I think I will stick with the Green Pen. Hopefully the second half of my 20 week plan goes as well as the first half and I get to overtake lots without going out too fast.

Loving the covers by the way.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    /members/images/727962/Gallery/DS_cover_sized.jpg

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Another top cover Weedy. Look at those fab flexy quadriceps Dannirr! image

Completely agree with TD - another FANTASTIC cover, Weedy!

@TD - I saw your message about the Long way back... I'll be there for at least 3 of the days but just need to have the dates to finalise in the work diary. Hubby is also interested in coming along as support. Do you need a decent photographer/cyclist en route? Dependent upon how many days I can score off work - i'd be planning between 30-50km each day (unless you have speed restrictions).

@Weedy - can you add: London 50km on 17th Feb to the event list.... image

@Kaz - well done on the walk - do you have any pain?

Work has been shocking this week so I apologise that i've been abit slow... I'm also on the look out for advice. I've been diagnosed with RSI in my elbow and wrist from the computer (yes...i've been working that much image). My work arent too happy to pay for a new keyboard/mouse/change of furniture.... do i have a leg to stand on to 'force' them to do it?

• Options

Emmy - thanks. No pain at the time, but I'm afraid I am still getting very sore later in the day..........so much so BF made me promise I would take things easier today. I did 6 miles instead of 8!!image Hope the RSI settles, no idea about the work related thing??

Trevor - My pouch has mega long legs, He's a great dane!!

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Kaz - Great Dane, no wonder you got pulled over the other day! His head is probably the size of my little terrier

• Options
    Fizz image ! You're alive! Welcome back! To those who don't know her Fizz ran Paris for the first time in 2009 (same as me) and since then has done all kinds of mad ultra stuff, including Comrades. Might need to pick your brains on that one...

Re pens - you don't need to decide until you get to the Expo, where you can change pens quite easily. But it doesn't really make all that much difference for the mid-pack runners, especially now it's a wave start.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Weedy - love it! Thanks image. Can you email it to me?

TRevor - I've tried to wear my HR monitor more but I do find it uncomfortable. If i loosen it it keeps sliding down. It just feels restricting to me. I do think its an excellent tool though.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Trevor- all the cool kids are in the Green Pen this year.  It's where it's going on, baby....