Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I'm impressed yer_maj - straight on to it. Grasp the nettle.

I'm still having a think about it.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I don't mess aboutimage

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Stand by, Shrewsbury....my SIL has signed up too.  The nice one.

• Options

I've decided to listen to my body tonight. I am in week 6. On saturday I did 11 miles. On monday I did 6.5 miles (inc 8 x 2 mins uphill) and last night 6.3 miles slow. I was due to do 5 miles tonight. But I've been tired all this week (plus late nights at work over the weekend).

So i am postponing it to tomorrow.

I hate doing this because if I feel if I do not do the schedule to a tee then I will fail (OCD).

But tired and a little stiff in the legs. 24 hours won't hurt. (I keep telling myself).

• Options

Too many 'ifs'

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It won't hurt.  It won't even hurt if you miss it.  Like wot I did today...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    James - listen to your body. The last thing you need is an injury.

A little flexibility never hurt anyone.
  • Options
    TD please send me the details about Long Run, I'll write about it on my Polish blog.

It was snowing here for few days, the result - 25 inches of fluff. And -15C. I did manage a run but my calves are killing me now. I feel like after Paris 2010 when I was walking down the stairs backwards.

Happy belated birthday TD and DV and happy Grandma and Grandpa's Day to anyone
  • Options
    Grandpa's Day? That's a new one! But thank-you...
  • Options
    James - if you deviate from your plan in any way your lungs will explode at mile 17 and your legs will fall off at mile 20. Either that or you'll feel fresher for a day off and run better tomorrow image .
  • Options
    That's why I don't have a plan.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

RR you told me last year that my legs would fall off at mile 22 because I missed an 11 mile LSR in week 3.  They didn't.  You are bad....

In the meantime I have had a lovely evening with my ex neighbour celebrating (early) Burns Night.  I ended up being head of Scottish Music which included introducing them to delights such as The Shop Assistants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU9fZkXHqns

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

James,you will be fine.Promise.    * And I was in the Brownies ...*

At a tangent...Why is the crawl so hard? And how come the good swimmers look like fish and make it look easy.image Will it all just ' click' , one day.And will I live that long? Answers on a postcard, please.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    The crawl will show no pity if your technique isn't good. Most other strokes you can get away with more and just lose pace.

Common errors are head to high. You want your head in the water, only tipping your mouth out to breathe. A poor kick. If your kick isn't strong your legs will drag in the water causing resistance. A short pull. A high cadence of arm movement but a short pull under the water, which is what propels you through it. That'll also tire you quickly.

My kick was always my biggest flaw with doing the crawl.
  • Options

yer_maj wrote (see)

RR you told me last year that my legs would fall off at mile 22 because I missed an 11 mile LSR in week 3.  They didn't.  You are bad....

RR is a very naughty runner but funny as hellimage

I'd never heard of a swimming stroke called front crawl until I came over here.  I call it freestyle (like in those olympic games things), sounds much nicer than front crawl...that makes me think of doggie style (SWIMMING!)

• Options
    I bought 'Swim Smooth' and now swim like a fish.

A fish with legs. Legs filled with lead....

Did 10 minutes doggie style on Tuesday night (really) before I ran out of puff.
  • Options

...and Suzy M

Simon MacDoughnut wrote (see)
    I bought 'Swim Smooth' and now swim like a fish.
    A fish with legs. Legs filled with lead....

Laughing at that one

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Simon - Swim smooth makes it all look so easy. I'm lucky that I tend to be able to swim any distance with that stroke, but my speed is badly lacking. It's one of the few sports I think I could be half decent at if I got some coaching.

DLR will be north of the wall this weekend. There is a shuffle along the forth and clyde canal path planned for that one.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    James B 73 wrote (see)

Shrewsbury have their first marathon in June. A 4 lap course. I am certainly tempted by this.

As Paris would be my first marathon (all being well and good) do you think it would be too soon to commit myself to a second marathon 2 months later.

I have wondered how to deal with the training aspect  and whether you would just start at week 8 of a 16 week schedule.

I am not sure whether I am running before I can walk so to speak.

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

James - I'd say it's possible. Not sure how best to tackle training for it though. I guess Emmy could given you some pointers, as she seems to run a marathon every other week.

You called? image

To be honest the time between April and June will be PLENTY of time of you for you to utilise your mileage from Paris and I'd go for both (but that's because of who I am).

I'd suggest after Paris - doing gentle stretching/cross training/swimming/gentle runs for one week and then build up slowly again (i normally do 12/14/16/14/16/18/20/18/20 etc). Don't be afraid to take it a little slower in the weeks after Paris - you've still got a lot of miles in your legs to help you recover.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Got myself in a cheeky little 10K at lunchtime. My office is just 250m from the entrance to a parc and forest and with a fair bit of fog and frost, it was really beautiful and calm. Great environment to plod around in the snow. image

You have no idea how jealous I am. Along our street in Brussels it's just ice and slush image

I'm not getting email notifications for this thread anymore... image So i'm not ignoring you all... I just don't realise that anyone's posted.

• Options
    YM - you say that, but you actually used to have 3 legs, didn't you?
  • Options

Thanks for the advice Emmy and RR (? my poor legs and lungs).

Feel a lot better this morning so will go out tonight. Just needed a rest.

I am generally following the plan. But I am missing out the 3 mile slow run the day before the long slow run due to time contraints and not wanting to overdo it.

We will see. Feel fitter than ever.

One of the reasons I have resisted offer to do tris is down to the front crawl. Can't stand it. Feel like I am drowning. Although my sister in law got some lessons from the gym she is at and she is now gliding through the water like a big cod. 

• Options

I should also thank the others for their kind words of encouragement. Thanks.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    YM - you say that, but you actually used to have 3 legs, didn't you?

Did RR just call yer_maj a transvestite? image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I've been called worse....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Oh, I think we need some light relief...

DLR's coming to the Finest City in Europe, this weekend.'Can't wait to see how the 3/4 lycra tights go down, locally. * Gorgeous! Gorgeous, R! We want our roses to look at you...*

• Options

Love it ATM.  Hope everyone is okay and surviving the weather?  We have had plenty snow, I've been comedy jogging and mostly on the cross trainer, but thankfully it's gone/almost now so have been out in those trainers.  Bought myself some snow chains for them, and can't wait for them to come - typically it won't snow again.

Has anyone got a garmin forerunner 405cx??  I have one but it's being a pain, I've lost the manual on the computer and can't reset the split times when I upload, it only gives me the start and finish.  I like to see how I do each KM.  Any takers on this one?  Thanks in advance. 

Off skiing on Sat for a week, so if the chains come tomorrow then I will take them and run up an Alp....LOL. 

• Options

finally managed my first decent interval session since just before xmas. Did a nice easy 4.5 miles into work this morning then out round Regents park for 8.5 miles doing 2 minute sprints all over the shop! came back for a good stretch and a carb load so need to see how the calf feels later today and tomorrow. Funny that the Kiwi lady calls the Doggy Paddle "Doggie style" - i'm so Carry On and it made me chuckle! - Freestyle is what proper swimmers do right? - front crawl is the one i struggle with.

I'd love to move onto triathlons in a few years (the ones with the 10K runs) - marathon training just takes over yer bloody life.image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    First day off work in a while (ok, aside from a trip to Disney) - nice short speed session that leaves me feeling quite invigorated. Fun.