Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Right I'm off to ski myself daft.  Play nice...and nobody say a word while I'm away as I don't have a clear day in my diary to catch up when I get back....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

I just like to have something in my hand.

It'll make you go blind DVimage

So much to say... so little time image

YM - Have fun skiing! image

• Options
    YM - have a great holiday. Looking forward to hearing how you tamed 'The Tunnel' and conquered 'The Sarene'. Take care.
  • Options

Phew - just catching up - leave it a day and the thread runs away with itself image.

Can't remember who raised what, but for those who are worried about being undertrained/injured, here's my story from 2009. I had done some (probably not enough) training, but injured my foot about a month before the race. I got to the start line held together by physio tape, with the attitude, of 'I've paid for it, I might as well do it'. I had a Metro ticket in my pocket and my view was that if it felt too painful or I felt like I was doing myself permanent damage, I would bale out. At half way my foot was pretty sore, and I was thinking if it got any worse I would stop. But it didn't really get any worse, and then other things started to hurt, which took my mind off the foot. So I just kept going. I wasn't fast, and I dare say it wasn't  pretty, but I was mighty relieved to finish. So my recommendation would be - if you're not sure, give it a go, don't kill yourself to finish, be prepared to head for the pub early,and see what happens. 

Re backpacks - I use one on my long runs (over 2 hours), but I've never used one in a race. My attitude is that training with a weight on your back gives you an advantage when you take it off for race day (and water is quite heavy). I just use the water at the water stations, and carry shotbloks. That said, if the forecast was for really hot weather, and it has happened, I might consider using it for the race, and put an electrolyte tablet in the water. 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    YM have fun

Vic - I don't use a camelback but I always carry drinks with me. I'll be carrying some nuun tablets this year and I'll top up my water bottles at the drinks stations and add the nuuns to it later in the race. I'm planning on using shotbloks, will test them again this weekend.

Onetit - don't worry about missing us at Corcorans. We don't go there straight away but when we do get there we'll be there for the night image

DLR - sounds like I'd had too much around the time that you started skimming. Maybe I'll revisit later.
  • Options
    Simon...Sarenne, yes. Tunnel, No!!
  • Options

yer_maj - Have a great week away skiing.

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    Plus TD might be able to pull off a cheerleader outfit, but the sight of me dressed like that would have people running for their lives!

Eggy - you shouldn't say things like that when Weedy is around image

Gimme an 'M'

• Options

YM - have fun

Orbutt - why the tablets?

• Options
    vic_83 wrote (see)

Another qustion for you experienced marathon runners...i've been doing my long runs with my small camelpak filled with dilutable juice which seems to help along the run image

Do you guys ever wear a pac at all for the actual race or just rely on whats given out at the water stations?  Debating wether to wear it or not!

Vic - I use an ironman belt (yes, it's ironic) with 2x750ml bottles and room for gels and keys on long runs and the actual marathon myself. I refill the bottle with water on the run. Paris has fresh fruit (bananas and apples, if I remember correctly) and gels available late on... And plenty of water stations (in cups).

Man, I'm already looking forward to it, and haven't remotely gotten in shape yet!

• Options

Iain - my recollection of Paris is that the water is in unopened disposable bottles - just like you buy in the store

• Options

In your honest opinion folks, Would tramping about Parc Asterix on the Saturday be too much before the big day???  Its only open on the Saturday and Sunday that week........grrrrrrrr........

Bottles of Water.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dannir - tablets? It's just the way my mind works. It was the Stone of Life. Stuck in my head as one of Moses' tablets image

Kaz - Parc Asterix. My vote would be, avoid. Sorry. Too much walking. I'm a great theme park junkie and its amazing how tired your calves will get from simply walking around the park all day.
  • Options

Morning...   last night Mrs DV and I went to see this..:

http://www.thisis40movie.com

It is superb..    really funny...   laugh out loud funny.....  I can highly recommend it if you are of an age with children and a chaotic/busy life..

• Options

Emmy...  I don't understand why you (anyone!) would want pay money to run multiple loops around a public path and lake..  please can you explain..?   This whole Enigma racing thing seems ridiculous to me.   Why do you do it..?   You could do that every day for free if you wanted and anywhere in the world...

• Options

Gimme an 'O'

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Mo_0.jpg

(Sorry Mo)

• Options

Kaz - another vote against Asterix, sorry.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Emmy...  I don't understand why you (anyone!) would want pay money to run multiple loops around a public path and lake..  please can you explain..?   This whole Enigma racing thing seems ridiculous to me.   Why do you do it..?   You could do that every day for free if you wanted and anywhere in the world...

Hi DV, I think the answer to that is the people there. I agree - you pay money to run around a public lake in the middle of Bletchley but I can honestly say - I have really enjoyed the events and the comradery of the runners. I've made some wonderful friends and it's allowed me to practice marathon running in 'safety'.

I still enjoy other courses (and other marathons) but I feel 'at home' when I  go there.

• Options

The kidz also think its too much so its a no go. Feeling rather guilty as Junior wanted the tickets to it as part of her birthday pressie, and now its no open when we are there!image I have given her other options but she can't decide.....but the Catacombs were a definate no!!!

Weedy - lol.

Its a gorgeous day here, and I have managed a whole 4 miles at snail pace but it felt good for the first time, and like I could have continued and that was even with my legs feeling hammered to start with. image Off to walk the pooch, before I start work at 12. Should of handed in me notice a while ago - getting far better shifts noo!!!! One week to go......imageimage

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Kaz - it must be the child in me but I'm always tickled when you post in a Scottish accent image

The kids have made the best decision for you.
  • Options

Kaz - A theme park the day before wouldn't be a good idea. It's a shame those are the only days it's open at that time of year.

I plan to do the breakfast run again this year, as I really enjoyed that last year. Anyone else up for that one? After that I plan to stay off my feet as much as possible on the Saturday.

• Options

Orbutt -lol.....

Eggy - Me and kidz are doing it, then I am planning on sitting in a cafe watching the world go by.....image

• Options
    Kaz we're thinking of a boat trip on the Saturday....
  • Options
    I might do the breakfast run. Then a movie probably. I have found I need a movie or theatre show to force me off my feet, else I am liable to go touring.

DV - saw that movie last week. Hilarious. Especially the Hugh Jackman bit.

Has a pasta place been settled on yet?
  • Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Iain - my recollection of Paris is that the water is in unopened disposable bottles - just like you buy in the store

Dannirr - you're right, I'm recollecting Berlin instead...

Dannirr wrote (see)
    I might do the breakfast run. Then a movie probably. I have found I need a movie or theatre show to force me off my feet, else I am liable to go touring.

DV - saw that movie last week. Hilarious. Especially the Hugh Jackman bit.

Has a pasta place been settled on yet?

Dannir - I'm travelling over on Thursday specifically to avoid the stress of travel on Saturday and I'm also looking forward to the Breakfast Run. Movie sounds like a sensible plan, I may steal that idea but was also thinking bus tour..

Pasta place last year:

http://www.pastapapa.fr

It's my recollection it was very near FDR metro stop... Huge portions, inexpensive, lovely place I thought.

• Options

Last year the pre-race pasta bash was split in two with an early birds dinner and late night revellers one, splitters! It would be good this year to try and get us all in the one place.

I'm going to have to think what to do after the breakfast run. Some good suggestions so far. Although I'd be completely lost trying to follow a film in French.

• Options

For those in the grey pen - Anyone looking to do a sub 4 hour marathon in this pen?

• Options
    PC91 wrote (see)

Vic_83 - I was dehydrating all the time so got a camelpak which was a great help. Since then thanks to better training and more appropriate clothing, I sweat less, dehydrate less, drink less.  I drink every 5k as per the water stations so I wont be wearing mine on the day.  Although I would also welcome advice from wiser runner on drinking (water).  I've tried to weigh myself before and after but I get more confused.

yer_maj wrote (see)

I wear a belt and this year I'll be carrying water as well as gels - about half a litre and I doubt I'll need more than that unless it's hot.  It's not going to be hot, is it??!!

thanks for advice.  i will cry if its hot image Hate running in any amount of heat....bring on the snow haha.

• Options

We've told the kids they can do the breakfast run and we can shout advice to them for a change