Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    In Amsterdam I got boxed in and lost 5 minutes in the first 10k. Made the mistake of catching it all up in the second 10k. Run out of steam at 35k!! A steady, sustainable pace is what I need to aim for in Paris. Getting into the pen early would be a good idea. And peeing in an empty sports drink bottle is fine piece of advice - thanks TD.
  • Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Can anyone recommend one of the cheaper current Garmin GPS watches (110/405/410)? I remember someone, maybe Dannirr, had some issues with one of the newer Garmins. My old brick on a wrist is done for.

I'll second Simon's recommendation for the 110, had mine for three years now and got the missis one for Christmas. Couldn't live without it, nice and simple, and you can probably pick one up for £100ish.

• Options

Not entirely sure why the font size shrunk on that last message?!

My first marathon was Edinburgh two years ago. Four of us from the boozer I worked at signed up for it and I threw myself into it perhaps a bit too much; it became a bit of an obsession in the lead up to the day itself. I trained my backside off (or, at least what I considered to at the time, looking back it was mini-miles and million-mistakes) and was pleased with 3:20.

Edinburgh that year was pretty much a sham organisation wise at the finish line; they'd taken away the 'Racecourse Grandstand Finish' of previous years and replaced it with a shoddy effort just plonked in the middle of a housing estate with maximum 200 uninterested folk at the side of the road. I remember been sat on someone's front garden wall feeling both overwhelmed and underwhelmed at the same time, if that's possible?! I was hoping to stay there for a little while to 'soak it in' until the old trout who owned the house banged on the window at me and told me to shift! image

I was fairly lucky though, the other three I'd signed up with had done next-to-no- training and each came in over six hours, by which time the shoddy organisation had taken it to another level and run out of medals, goodie bags, food, and any form of clue. By the time they got back to the 'marathon village' (a sports hall field), I was blind drunk by the cider tent!

My second effort was Barcelona last March, and as I've mentioned before; it made Edinburgh look like a village fete fun-run! Came in at 3:18 and sat in the blazing sunshine above the Magic Fountains, overlooking the finish line, and sank nine cans of Estrella in 90 minutes. Amusing, but certainly not the wisest of moves as far as recovery was concerned!

• Options

First marathon, so much to learn, so little timeimage

Is there any benefit in starting the pen at the front end of your hoped for time or the pen at the backend of that time?

• Options

Cheers for the recommendations all.

Bedders - I didn't think they could have made the Edinburgh marathon any worse, but it sounds like they somehow managed it. The only race I've ever ran and would never consider doing again. Worst organisation of any race I've ever ran.

Peter - Last year in Paris I didn't suffer from any crowding at all on the route, which  was really surprised by due to the size of the event. I think the staggered pen starts and the wide roads in the opening sections really help with prevents crowding. If only they'd figure out the a dozen portaloos for 40,000 runners might be a tad on the stingy side they'd have the start sorted!

• Options

Last year they randomly split the pens Peter letting left or right side empty ahead of the other (if that makes sense).  If you were stuck in the second half it was fairly academic whether at front or back and it did lead to a lot of runners to be passed but it also reduced congestion at the only real course bottleneck at 5k.

• Options

Chris - the advantage to thinking in km's is that the numbers pass by more quickly!  The downside of course, is that there are more of them image

• Options

DV - here's a little challenge for you, and while you are here, we can do some driving lessons too....

http://www.runfortheheroes.com/plaintext/home/home.aspx

• Options

Here is the pace band I made for Paris - it allows for a 2 mile slower start, then even pace until mile 20, then a 4 mile fade.  Target 3.45.

You can adjust all these parameters to totally customise to your running stye

www.fellrnr.com

/members/images/698298/Gallery/pace_345.png

• Options
    peter burke 5 wrote (see)

First marathon, so much to learn, so little timeimage

Is there any benefit in starting the pen at the front end of your hoped for time or the pen at the backend of that time?

Peter, it won't make any difference...   it's 26 miles ahead of you and you will overtake people if the pace dictates that...  your race time is the chip time for the distance, not the time on the clock...  so..   if you are towards the back and it takes you 10 minutes to cross the start line, that isn't 10 lost minutes.  Your time only starts when you cross the starting mat.

The crowd ahead of you will thin out as the race progresses.   Just relax, run at your pace and ignore everyone around you.

Also...  remember, the big clocks you will see on the course are the times for the start of the race.  So..  if it takes you 10 minutes to cross the start line, remember to make a mental note to deduct that 10 minutes when you see the clocks on the course and especially at the finish line!   

Just enter the pen, find a gap to stand and wait....

And don't sprint like your life is at risk once it starts.....!

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

DV - here's a little challenge for you, and while you are here, we can do some driving lessons too....

http://www.runfortheheroes.com/plaintext/home/home.aspx

That's a real possibilty...   it could be feasible... 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I went out and did a 9 mile run tonight. It felt tough, but I think I was home in the same time as Monday (8:51 m/m average). I say think as my trusty old Garmin 205 seems to have had a nervous breakdown and then passed to electronic afterlife.

On stopping the clock its started bleeping like mad and the screen went into some bonkers menu scroll. In that I think it did seem to say I'd ran the 9 miles in 1:21. Now it's powered off and ain't for switching back on. Software reset doesn't work. image

Can anyone recommend one of the cheaper current Garmin GPS watches (110/405/410)? I remember someone, maybe Dannirr, had some issues with one of the newer Garmins. My old brick on a wrist is done for.

Why not consider sending it back to Garmin and get a refurbished model for 60 GBP? It's what i'll do when mine finally gives up the ghost!

• Options

Give Garmin a call. When you eventually get through they're extremely helpful. 

• Options

Morning all,

Eggy - Looks like your back on track!image

DV - Luvin the advice.

Dannirr - Thanks for the link, I will be sure to use that next time...........this time is just about getting around!

Feeling slightly better today, at least half human! Didn't bother with an early morning run today, thought I'd save myself for work and a run after since I have all my 'chores'  done now instead!image

Needing some gluten and dairy free breakfast suggestions?? And not fruit! I can't do this job without breakfast image 

• Options

If all else fails I have the garmin forerunner 110 and it does the job perfectly. £109 from Tescos Direct. Highly recommended.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz - What about porridge or musli with soya milk? or almond milk?

• Options

Still resting. Can't feel the pain in my knee which is a good thing, but this may also be a bad thing as I may attempt to go for a short run tonight. May leave it to saturday,

• Options

Put me down for one of those Oates medal things!!

Congrats on your nephew DLR.  It's a fab feeling I can tell you.

Off for my morning 6k today, going steay, don't want to tire the ol legs out for Sunday.

Glorious morning here, getting warmer, but still frost on the ground at the moment.  Double figures due for Sunday, just my luck it will be a bl**dy heatwave...LOL image

• Options

Emmy/Vioolman - I Think I'll just invest in a new watch. The price difference between a refurb and the newer version of the watch isn't that much.

I was woken in the middle of the night by the sounds of bleeping. The bloody thing turned itself back on and went back into nervous breakdown mode. Tried a few reset tricks to bring it back to life, but it's fair to say it's gubbed.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    James - when I last went to physio with an injury I was given a real telling off about not resting. Apparently, runners are not very patient when it comes to allowing an injury to heal.

It sounds like you're not 100% convinced that you should run tonight anyway, so give it the little bit of extra time and leave it until Saturday. A couple of days won't have ant impact on your fitness.
  • Options

Thanks DV,

Your reply was pretty much as I thought it would be.

I mostly run to heart rate and this helps keep the pacing under control.

• Options

London Marathon 2010 - my first marathon - Amazing, painful. Got injured right achilles in training about 6 weeks before the race. Sports physio said you shouldn't really run but i know you will so lets just try to "manage it".  Target time was sub 4.30 based on training and half marathon averages 2.01/2.02, i weighed 93kg at the time of the race. First 13 miles in 2.16 - but achilles started hurting alot after 10 miles and by 14 miles, i was running down that bit where loads of faster runners on 21/22 miles are heading back towards tower of London and i started hitting various walls. The 6 miles between 14 - 20 were just miserable. But i ran the whole thing (very slowly for the second half - 3 hours). Right foot was very flat on the road/short steps - "limp running". It was an amazing event with the best support i have ever experienced from spectators and fellow runners, sterwards, volunteers. I'll never forget it. the beers after tasted sooo good. (check the time on Big ben)

/members/images/157400/Gallery/Big_Ben_reduced.jpg

• Options

Anyone use a Garmin 410? It's only £20 more than the 110 but comes with a lot more features I could use, but the bezel interface seems to get mixed reviews.

• Options

Well done Jimbob...   you have come a long way...   image

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Eggy -  I have the 410 and love it. I lock the bezel whilst running so it just cycles through the screens and I have not had a single problem. Much prefer it to using my phone with Runkeeper which I used to do.

Jimbob - werent those shorts a bit heavy for running 26miles in!? Another cracking first marathon story though. Fingers crossed I'm able to look back on Paris with fond memories.

• Options
    Katz how about baking gluten free bread? Substitute milk with water or vegetable milk http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2624635/malted-walnut-seed-loaf
  • Options

Trev - those shorts are surfer's mate - they've got the bottle opener/board comb attached in one of the pockets. back then i was a little on the large side so couldn't pull off the skimpys that you see the skinny marathon runner types wear. These days i'm 75kg so i think i'm ready to step up, don the short split running shorts and unleash my sexy ghostly white thighs to those lucky Parisians!

• Options

The Jimbob

Go for the lycraimage

• Options

Wise words orbutt. It is always in the back of your mind that 7 days of not running is going to result in total failure.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Thought as much Jimbob. I'm not the smallest of people myself and when I started running I had to wear lycra undershorts to prevent my legs rubbing together. Thankfully I have managed to lose some of the weight and dont have that issue anymore. Sill ghostly white though!

No idea how much I weigh but losing almost 20kg must make you feel amazing.